Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Actors who play the same role (over and over)

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: Actors who play the same role (over and over) Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Actors who play the same role (over and over) - 13/2/2006 6:03:31 PM   
Bumfluff

I refuse to believe that this thread has been going for 4 hours & not one person has even mentioned Seann William Scott....every part he plays is essentially the same clueless & smug pillock that he appears to be as a person...Worst.Actor.Ever.

My Cinema Diaries

(in reply to Roland Deschain)
Post #: 31
RE: Actors who play the same role (over and over) - 13/2/2006 6:15:57 PM   
Jack's Rage

ITS STIFFLER TIME!

Its already done so shut up!

(in reply to Bumfluff)
Post #: 32
RE: Actors who play the same role (over and over) - 13/2/2006 6:16:25 PM   
Zaphod121

Hugh Grant is always playing the same role in those stupid chick flicks

"Everyone wins. Except Abed. But, you know, not everyone can win"

My Brothers Web-Series

My YouTube Channel

(in reply to Bumfluff)
Post #: 33
RE: Actors who play the same role (over and over) - 14/2/2006 12:38:51 AM   
john davidson

quote:

ORIGINAL: RuffKut

Nobody's mentioned Jack Nicholson yet, so I will...

Jack Nicholson.

I'll second that.
Jack Nicholson.
The most over-rated one trick pony in the business.

"I ain't got time to bleed"
MY DVD'S

(in reply to RuffKut)
Post #: 34
RE: Actors who play the same role (over and over) - 14/2/2006 1:19:37 AM   
gusbuster

Tom Cruise IS the same character in every film because he only ever seems to play Tom Cruise, and his motivation for each performance is simply making sure his teeth get as much screen time as possible.
No matter what situation film makers put him in, and whatever he's meant to be saying on screen, he always has the same self-satisfied manner that convinces me that all he's actually thinking is  "Wooohooo....I.....am....FANTASTIC!!!"

<end rant/>

(in reply to john davidson)
Post #: 35
RE: Actors who play the same role (over and over) - 14/2/2006 2:01:28 AM   
Your Funny Uncle

quote:

ORIGINAL: Newander

Bruce Willis springs to mind, so does Kirsten Dunst...apart from Dracula obviously.

......Mmmmmm...Can't say I agree there.

Hudson Hawk
Die Hard Series
The Bonfire of Vanities
Death Becomes Her
Pulp Fiction
Twelve Monkeys
Armageddon
The Sixth Sense
Thw Whole 9/10 Yards
Harts War
Hostage

I'd say all the characters he plays are somewhat dirfferent. I wouldn't say he always plays the same roll over and over

Empires Top 100 Movie Characters of All Time! - VOTE NOW by clicking HERE

(in reply to Newander)
Post #: 36
Vince Vaughn and Adam friggin' Sandler. - 14/2/2006 2:28:05 AM   
Alistair

Vince Vaughn and Adam friggin' Sandler. Honestly, how do these guys get the work that they do?

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift...that's why they call it the present.

(in reply to Your Funny Uncle)
Post #: 37
RE: Actors who play the same role (over and over) - 14/2/2006 8:12:51 AM   
Rhubarb

quote:

ORIGINAL: Your Funny Uncle

quote:

Bruce Willis springs to mind, so does Kirsten Dunst...apart from Dracula obviously.

Hudson Hawk
Die Hard Series
The Bonfire of Vanities
Death Becomes Her
Pulp Fiction
Twelve Monkeys
Armageddon
The Sixth Sense
Thw Whole 9/10 Yards
Harts War
Hostage

I'd say all the characters he plays are somewhat dirfferent. I wouldn't say he always plays the same roll over and over

he's got two. Action Bruce (Die Hard) and Comedy Bruce (a parody of Action Bruce, ala The Whole Nine Yards) Twelve Monkeys is the only film he does something different in i think

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

ORIGINAL: FritzlFan

You organisational skills sicken me, Rhubarb.

Post #: 38
RE: Actors who play the same role (over and over) - 14/2/2006 8:23:54 AM   
Evan Morris

A question that comes to mind is, if you know these people essentially phone in the same character every time they're in a movie, why the fuck do you go see the movie? These guys command huge salaries only because pillocks keep lining up to watch them phone in their (usually bad) performance.

Having posed that, the number one serial offender is Tom Cruise (the world's most smug wanker of all time). I now follow my own rule and will not see anything in which this idiot appears unless there is some VERY COMPELLING counter-balancing reason to do so. Ben Stiller is another twat who always plays himself (a twat). In fact, the list is so long that you'd think there was something in film-acting that inevitably leads to this condition, and there is: celebrity. Once someone is celebrated at the movies, it becomes all too easy for that person to just do it all over again. After all, the studios are inherently conservative and the only reason you got the gig is because you did that good previous gig and they basically want the same good previous gig one more time ... and then again ... and again please. And these reason for all this is that same set of pillocks mentioned earlier: the bunch of bozos lining up to pay the admission fee.

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 39
RE: Actors who play the same role (over and over) - 14/2/2006 8:34:06 AM   
Orbital

quote:

Jack Nicholson.

No way could he be type cast played a good wearwolf Will in the movie Wolf, played great Jerry Black in the Pledge, did a wonderful Joker in Batman, O'Neill in the movie Reds, George Hanson in easy rider,  Jake in Chinatown,  McMurphy in 1 flew over the cuckoo's nest,

quote:

ORIGINAL: furrybastard

Of late, its been Liam Neeson. He's essentially played the same character from The Phantom Menace (the guide/mentor guy) onwards.

its like he wants to get type cast with some of his recent moves

but look at his past work Jean Valjean in Misérables, Totter in Duet for 1, he played a Scottish boxing miner in the Big Man, the rogue thief Kegan in the scifi fantasy Krull, Oskar Schildler....

These actors are not fucking type cast

Type-cast means you play the same bloody character in all your movies

(in reply to abe froman)
Post #: 40
RE: Actors who play the same role (over and over) - 14/2/2006 10:24:16 AM   
Roland Deschain

I can't believe I didn't think of Adam Sandler!  He's the worst one.  A moronic talentless hack.  How he has made a career out of his performances is beyond me.  He just isn't funny.  I'd like is to see his obituary.  Then there would be one less problem I have with Hollywood. 

My mistake, four coffins.

(in reply to Orbital)
Post #: 41
RE: Actors who play the same role (over and over) - 14/2/2006 10:35:40 AM   
doctorolorinbats1975

quote:

Of late, its been Liam Neeson. He's essentially played the same character from The Phantom Menace (the guide/mentor guy) onwards.

Liam Neeson recently played Alfred Kinsey, who is not a mentor but a character trying to discover himself.

CG, stop motion, acting, animation, animatronics, whatever, it's 24 lies a second...

Critiquing words for dummies: Pretentious, overrated, sentimental, indulgent, populist.

(in reply to Orbital)
Post #: 42
RE: Actors who play the same role (over and over) - 14/2/2006 1:07:50 PM   
tastes_like_antelope

Cameron Diaz, flightly, adorable, quirky, irritateing etc etc. Even when she attempts something a tiny bit darker (Vanilla Sky), she fails miserably.

(in reply to doctorolorinbats1975)
Post #: 43
RE: Actors who play the same role (over and over) - 14/2/2006 5:58:56 PM   
Jack's Rage

quote:

ORIGINAL: Evan Morris

A question that comes to mind is, if you know these people essentially phone in the same character every time they're in a movie, why the fuck do you go see the movie? These guys command huge salaries only because pillocks keep lining up to watch them phone in their (usually bad) performance.

Having posed that, the number one serial offender is Tom Cruise (the world's most smug wanker of all time). I now follow my own rule and will not see anything in which this idiot appears unless there is some VERY COMPELLING counter-balancing reason to do so. Ben Stiller is another twat who always plays himself (a twat). In fact, the list is so long that you'd think there was something in film-acting that inevitably leads to this condition, and there is: celebrity. Once someone is celebrated at the movies, it becomes all too easy for that person to just do it all over again. After all, the studios are inherently conservative and the only reason you got the gig is because you did that good previous gig and they basically want the same good previous gig one more time ... and then again ... and again please. And these reason for all this is that same set of pillocks mentioned earlier: the bunch of bozos lining up to pay the admission fee.

Okay, I see what you mean.  But you must remember a few things.  First, the people lining up to see Tom Cruise and Adam Sandler films are the general public.  The film fan who appreciates great acting, tight scripts and strong direction is way in the minority.  I find it very rudimentary when I hear someone spout off about a "bunch of bozos" lining up to see a Tom Cruise movie.  Seriously that is a very large and diverse group of people to be labeling as idiots.  Just because people find Cruise (or other such movie stars) to be entertaining doesn't make them dumb.  If it was some small sect of idiots feverishly supporting him then its a fair comment.  But its not.  It is everyone from policemen to teacher to students to the guy at McDonalds. 

Now, as for your point about studios being conservative and continually putting an actor in the same type of role, you must understand that it is a business and thus their number one goal is to turn a profit.  The producers make choices based on what they think will sell.  They're job is on the line for such decisions so opting for a reliable money maker only makes sense.  If I was in such position and had the opportunity take on a project such as Adam Sandler's The Longest Yard remake (btw a total piece of crap) you can bet your ass I would. 

Sorry for the rant there but I read such sentiment a lot and it irks me because its not a fair argument.  I actually agree that an actor recycling the same performance over and over can be irratating.  But I am not going to bash someone who find enjoyment in watching Tom Cruise for two hour.

Its already done so shut up!

(in reply to Evan Morris)
Post #: 44
RE: Actors who play the same role (over and over) - 14/2/2006 7:19:59 PM   
furrybastard

quote:

ORIGINAL: doctorolorinbats1975

quote:

Liam Neeson recently played Alfred Kinsey, who is not a mentor but a character trying to discover himself.

Oh yeah, don't know how I forgot that one.

Biopic Neeson and Mentor Neeson.

(in reply to doctorolorinbats1975)
Post #: 45
RE: Actors who play the same role (over and over) - 14/2/2006 7:27:50 PM   
Spengler

quote:

ORIGINAL: Roland Deschain

Orlando Bloom?  Arnie? 

The difference between these two: Arnie's perfectly typecast, Bloom's terribly typecast. And Arnie's a fantastic showman. Hence why all of his films are awesome.

Traitor

(in reply to Roland Deschain)
Post #: 46
RE: Actors who play the same role (over and over) - 14/2/2006 7:31:12 PM   
BobaJango

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spengler

quote:

Orlando Bloom?  Arnie? 

The difference between these two: Arnie's perfectly typecast, Bloom's terribly typecast. And Arnie's a fantastic showman. Hence why all of his films are awesome.

Yeh man all Arnie's films are awesome! Especially; Batman and Robin, Twins, Junior, Jingle all the way, Hercules, Raw Deal. All great!

"Don't worry. Won't insult legendary underworld solidarity by suggesting you surrender name without torture". - Rorschach (Watchmen).

(in reply to Spengler)
Post #: 47
RE: Actors who play the same role (over and over) - 14/2/2006 7:33:21 PM   
Your Funny Uncle

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rhubarb

quote:

quote:

Hudson Hawk
Die Hard Series
The Bonfire of Vanities
Death Becomes Her
Pulp Fiction
Twelve Monkeys
Armageddon
The Sixth Sense
Thw Whole 9/10 Yards
Harts War
Hostage

he's got two. Action Bruce (Die Hard) and Comedy Bruce (a parody of Action Bruce, ala The Whole Nine Yards) Twelve Monkeys is the only film he does something different in i think

Reading your comment, even you have admitted he doesn't play the same role over and over.....
Mmmmm...so where does The Sixth Sense fit into this theory?

Empires Top 100 Movie Characters of All Time! - VOTE NOW by clicking HERE

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 48
RE: Actors who play the same role (over and over) - 14/2/2006 7:37:27 PM   
Spengler

quote:

ORIGINAL: BobaJango

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spengler

quote:

Orlando Bloom?  Arnie? 

Yeh man all Arnie's films are awesome! Especially; Batman and Robin, Twins, Junior, Jingle all the way, Hercules, Raw Deal. All great!

Every single one = Arnie doing what he does best.

How's about Last Action Hero (which has so many layers which people don't realise), Commando, True Lies, Predator, The Terminator, Total Recall?

Jingle All The Way was fucking awesome. And hey, at least he played Mr. Freeze with some fucking conviction.

Traitor

(in reply to BobaJango)
Post #: 49
RE: Actors who play the same role (over and over) - 14/2/2006 7:51:13 PM   
mindgames

I always find George Clooney is the same in everything in his smug, not quite smiling, staring kinda way. Hopefully he likes directing a lot.

I saw this in a movie about a bus that had to speed around a city, keeping its speed over fifty and if its speed dropped, it would explode! I think it was called... "The Bus That Couldnt Slow Down"

(in reply to Spengler)
Post #: 50
RE: Actors who play the same role (over and over) - 14/2/2006 7:52:42 PM   
Tarbie

quote:

ORIGINAL: jeanne

I would say Tom Cruise. I don't think it's always a bad thing but he does really similar roles. I've heard a rumor that he has a rage scene in every contac. ( Imean he wants a rage scene in every film) Looking at his pictures you could think that that's true. I still think it's a urban myth that you hear a lot (I mean a lot)
I think it's also written into his contract that he had to do at least one scene in every fim that contains some manic sprinting, usually down a corridor or narrow street.

I absolutely love William H Macy, but can somebody please cast him as something other than a loveable everyman loser?

'Silvertops' is a charming and witty New Zealand comedy that appeals to all generations. A genuine rib-tickler from start to finish. Well, it bloody will be if I can ever get the fecker made!

(in reply to jeanne)
Post #: 51
RE: Actors who play the same role (over and over) - 14/2/2006 8:21:30 PM   
clare_star_

I don't agree with Kirstin Dunst, she has had an extremely varied career from strange (Interview with a Vampire, The Virgin Suicides) perky but lovable (Bring It On, Little Women, Jumanji) mean bitchy woman (Mona Lisa Smile, Wimbledon) and of courseeveryones favourite red head in Spiderman.

I like a lot of Adam Sandler films especially Little Nicky but when I think about it the characters ahe plays are fairly similar. Maybe this is sometimes the appeal of an actor?

''Twitter''

(in reply to Newander)
Post #: 52
RE: Actors who play the same role (over and over) - 14/2/2006 8:38:31 PM   
clarabell

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rhubarb

quote:

quote:

Hudson Hawk
Die Hard Series
The Bonfire of Vanities
Death Becomes Her
Pulp Fiction
Twelve Monkeys
Armageddon
The Sixth Sense
Thw Whole 9/10 Yards
Harts War
Hostage

Reading your comment, even you have admitted he doesn't play the same role over and over.....
Mmmmm...so where does The Sixth Sense fit into this theory?

Just what I was thinking, plus Pulp Fiction isn't really action, is it?  And what about Unbreakable?  and surely Hart's war is more of a drama war film than action.

When I die, bury me up-side down, so the world can kiss my ass

Just because the fucker's got a library card doesn't make him Yoda!

Post #: 53
RE: Actors who play the same role (over and over) - 14/2/2006 10:45:32 PM   
jamesianosborne

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jack's Rage

ITS STIFFLER TIME!

As bad as he is, I do love the line:-

"Deck the Halls,
Bye-bye Great Falls,
Wipe my ass
and lick my balls!
It's Stifler time baby!!"

"It's not the years honey, it's the mileage."

(in reply to Jack's Rage)
Post #: 54
RE: Actors who play the same role (over and over) - 14/2/2006 10:54:29 PM   
svgbdgr

Sir Morgan of Freeman. Wise, noble, stately, intelligent mentor type. But does it so fucking awesomely amazingly well in every film - WHO GIVES A SHIT?!!

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

(in reply to jamesianosborne)
Post #: 55
RE: Actors who play the same role (over and over) - 14/2/2006 10:58:00 PM   
Alistair

quote:

ORIGINAL: svgbdgr
Morgan of Freeman. Wise, noble, stately, intelligent mentor type. But does it so fucking awesomely amazingly well in every film - WHO GIVES A SHIT?!!

Agreed. Mr Freeman could take a dump on screen for two hours and he'd still be great.

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift...that's why they call it the present.

(in reply to svgbdgr)
Post #: 56
RE: Actors who play the same role (over and over) - 14/2/2006 10:59:05 PM   
Tarbie

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alistair

quote:

Morgan of Freeman. Wise, noble, stately, intelligent mentor type. But does it so fucking awesomely amazingly well in every film - WHO GIVES A SHIT?!!

Agreed. Mr Freeman could take a dump on screen for two hours and he'd still be great.
Ah, so you've seen Dreamcatcher!

'Silvertops' is a charming and witty New Zealand comedy that appeals to all generations. A genuine rib-tickler from start to finish. Well, it bloody will be if I can ever get the fecker made!

(in reply to Alistair)
Post #: 57
RE: Actors who play the same role (over and over) - 14/2/2006 11:24:09 PM   
svgbdgr

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tarbie

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alistair

quote:

Ah, so you've seen Dreamcatcher!

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

(in reply to Tarbie)
Post #: 58
RE: Actors who play the same role (over and over) - 14/2/2006 11:51:48 PM   
meh...

michelle rodriguez: always pays the tough bitch who scowls alot. She needs to cheer up.

I don't discriminate. I HATE EVERYONE!

myspace.com/probablyconfused

(in reply to svgbdgr)
Post #: 59
RE: Actors who play the same role (over and over) - 15/2/2006 1:43:20 PM   
Spengler

quote:

ORIGINAL: john davidson

quote:

Jack Nicholson.

I'll second that.
Jack Nicholson.
The most over-rated one trick pony in the business.

Oh please, you two. Go and actually watch some of his fucking films.

Traitor

(in reply to john davidson)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: Actors who play the same role (over and over) Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI