Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Equilibrium

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Equilibrium Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Equilibrium - 10/7/2006 9:25:38 PM   
maffew

quote:

ORIGINAL: BobaJango

I don't really mind stupid films (i'm looking foward to SOAP) but Kung Fu with guns? Don't be silly!
2/5

i liked the kung fu with guns!!

but did anyone spot brian conelly??

"Now i don't know much about security lighting, but i'm guessing they'll be using 180-degree dispersing halogens with motion sensors"

(in reply to BobaJango)
Post #: 31
RE: Equilibrium - 10/7/2006 9:35:03 PM   
BobaJango

quote:

ORIGINAL: maffew

quote:

I don't really mind stupid films (i'm looking foward to SOAP) but Kung Fu with guns? Don't be silly!
2/5

i liked the kung fu with guns!!

but did anyone spot brian conelly??

I'd have prefered it if they just took the concept of imaginary gun battles from series 2 of Spaced and included that in the film instead!

"Don't worry. Won't insult legendary underworld solidarity by suggesting you surrender name without torture". - Rorschach (Watchmen).

(in reply to maffew)
Post #: 32
RE: wow.... - 10/7/2006 11:54:37 PM   
Castor Troy

quote:

ORIGINAL: meh...

i really could did not imagine that the film would be so crap as to be one of the worst i had ever seen!
Cobbled together by, what appears to be, the spare parts of other (infinitely superior) sci-fi films, there is absolutely nothing original, nothing redeeming about this pile of excrement. A pile of excrement that has been mounted on flawed logic; if "feeling" (prepare yourself for the cringeworthy terminology used in the film: "he's a sense offender!" and "I'm not feeling!" are common phrases which, ironically, characters would bellow ANGRILY - something that film states continously that the characters should not be experiencing), is not allowed, why was Christian Bale's character married? why is he described as a family man? why don't people walk around with expressionless faces? why aren't "sense offenders" simply administered the dose instead of killing them off, cos you know, it totally goes against the ethos of this future society?
The entire film is a monstrous plot hole, sucking in the talents of it's cast (what is Emily Watson doing here?!)
You can't even rely on the so-called action scenes: hack-jobs filled with unlimited ammo and extremely dodgy slo-mo, devoid of any tension (Bales character is so good at what he does, his fights - particularly the anticlimatic battle with Diggs - literally last for less than two minutes).
You're probably thinking that i'm reading too much into it and that i should have looked at it just like it was a mindless action film. But that's not what it tries to be. It takes its pretentious self and tries to say something deep and meaningful and takes its self so seriously that all you can do is lay into it and laugh.
Don't compare it with The Matrix. Compare it with Battlefield Earth.

I might bother reading that if you knew how to use paragraphs.

The individual human mind. In a child's ability to master the multiplication table, there is more holiness than all your shouted hosannas and holy holies. An idea is more important than a monument and the advancement of Man's knowledge more miraculous than all the sticks turned to snakes and the parting of the waters.

(in reply to meh...)
Post #: 33
RE: wow.... - 11/7/2006 7:46:33 AM   
meh...

quote:

ORIGINAL: Castor Troy

quote:

i really could did not imagine that the film would be so crap as to be one of the worst i had ever seen!
Cobbled together by, what appears to be, the spare parts of other (infinitely superior) sci-fi films, there is absolutely nothing original, nothing redeeming about this pile of excrement. A pile of excrement that has been mounted on flawed logic; if "feeling" (prepare yourself for the cringeworthy terminology used in the film: "he's a sense offender!" and "I'm not feeling!" are common phrases which, ironically, characters would bellow ANGRILY - something that film states continously that the characters should not be experiencing), is not allowed, why was Christian Bale's character married? why is he described as a family man? why don't people walk around with expressionless faces? why aren't "sense offenders" simply administered the dose instead of killing them off, cos you know, it totally goes against the ethos of this future society?
The entire film is a monstrous plot hole, sucking in the talents of it's cast (what is Emily Watson doing here?!)
You can't even rely on the so-called action scenes: hack-jobs filled with unlimited ammo and extremely dodgy slo-mo, devoid of any tension (Bales character is so good at what he does, his fights - particularly the anticlimatic battle with Diggs - literally last for less than two minutes).
You're probably thinking that i'm reading too much into it and that i should have looked at it just like it was a mindless action film. But that's not what it tries to be. It takes its pretentious self and tries to say something deep and meaningful and takes its self so seriously that all you can do is lay into it and laugh.

I might bother reading that if you knew how to use paragraphs.

lol. sorry. i originally set out to write just one line on the film, but then it developed into a rant.

I don't discriminate. I HATE EVERYONE!

myspace.com/probablyconfused

(in reply to Castor Troy)
Post #: 34
RE: wow.... - 11/7/2006 10:16:27 AM   
Dready

I think its a great film. I've owned it for quite a while after having it recommended to me. The Gun Kata is wicked, although a tad unbelievable!!Hmmm...

Killer Boots man!!

What's up Harry, some philly break your heart?

Nah, it was a girl!

(in reply to meh...)
Post #: 35
RE: wow.... - 11/7/2006 12:20:31 PM   
Atomhammer

quote:

I thoroughly enjoyed the movie considering its paltry budget and entertaining set peices i actually enjoyed it more than the 2 matrix sequels (not that the matrix has anything to do with this movie but meh!)

Fair enough you didnt enjoy it as this seems ot be a marmite movie - love it or loathe it but personally the one thing that niggles me from critics is whilst the plot is indeed a seive of holes everyone pics up on stuff thats already explained in the movie.

For example the prozium doses dont entirely kill their emotional capacity but merely blunt them - numb them so they avoid the highest higs and the lowest lows and are in a constant state of 'equilibiruim'. I mean i dont find it so hard to accept that so im not sure as to why its such a big issue really.

Sean bean (shaun baun or seen been? haha) was underused but in many ways mad his character have a bit of impact as when he and preston face off its quite a moment IMO.

Equilibrium was a pleasant surprise and ive enjoyed it ever since seeing it in an empty cinema those years back. Proved that Bale could kick ass and take names no matter as to how thin the plot and the gun kata scenes were exhilerating. The opening salvo where hes slams into the darkened room and illuminates with muzzle flashes or the action scene defending the doggy just rocked my world!

Love it or hate it im glad you all watched it!

P.S on an additional point i should add i agree that it did 'feel' strange having families when the peeps are doped up drones but i guess without the family arc there would be no emotive grounding to tear a whole society down adn the movie would have been less fun without it. I mean imagine the hurt of knowing you gave up your wife to some thought police types...ouch!

< Message edited by Atomhammer -- 11/7/2006 12:22:23 PM >

~ Do We Believe What We See or See What We believe ~

(in reply to meh...)
Post #: 36
RE: wow.... - 11/7/2006 12:42:58 PM   
UTB

A nice little action flick but the premise is flawed.

No matter how much emotion isn't allowed, even Taye Diggs gets notably pissed off, as do the leaders. So, er, thats emotion then.

(in reply to Atomhammer)
Post #: 37
Decent Enough - 11/7/2006 5:22:00 PM   
JediBobster

I enjoyed it.

Christian Bale is fast becoming one of those actors I'll watch in anything.

The fight scenes weren't edited so badly that you couldn't tell what was going on. Although still, there was room for improvement.

It didn't get bogged down at any moment.

It had a dog in it. And a hero that refuses to kill it. Can't go wrong with that.

It had a "Heh, look who's turned up?" moment - when Brian Conley turned up. Sadly there was no opportunity for him to slip in the line "It's a puppet!"

As for comparisons with The Matrix. Well, this is exactly the kind of level that The Matrix is on for me. Still a little perplexed how The Matrix managed to break out as some kind of shining example of the genre. I'd choose Equilibrium over The Matrix mainly becasue I far prefer Christian Bale to Keanu Reeves.

JEDI BOBSTER

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 38
RE: Decent Enough - 11/7/2006 6:47:52 PM   
Beetlejuice!

The film was really disappointing. Storyline was a mish-mash mess of much better sci-fi movies/stories. Christian Bale gave a bad performance in my opinion, I simply did not give a damn about his character and he was just a bore. Sean Bean and Taye Diggs were much more interesting but they were wasted in blah roles. As was Emily Watson
However in saying that, the production design, visuals and action sequences force me to give the film an extra star because they were pretty damn good. I reckon this was a missed opportunity here.

By the way, I laughed every time the hero got teary eyed about a puppy.

(in reply to JediBobster)
Post #: 39
RE: Decent Enough - 11/7/2006 6:54:34 PM   
BobaJango

Why did the bad guy have to be British? Was it really relevant to the storyline or are we all just evil?

"Don't worry. Won't insult legendary underworld solidarity by suggesting you surrender name without torture". - Rorschach (Watchmen).

(in reply to Beetlejuice!)
Post #: 40
Mr Bean saves the day (again) - 13/7/2006 3:07:08 PM   
ldp21

I blaim the directer. The storyline if you look at the basic idea of it is pretty good as for the bad guy being British well, i a way so is Mr Bale (born a Brti always a Brit i say). Anyway i love the gun kata (yes yes the directer came up with that) but the film still lacks a depth. I guess it's not easy doing a film about a society with not sense of feeling, but if you cant do it properly then should you do it at all? Anywho all in all i liked the film, anything with sean bean in it deserves at least a 3 star.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 41
RE: wow.... - 15/7/2006 5:41:42 PM   
max314

quote:

ORIGINAL: UTB

No matter how much emotion isn't allowed, even Taye Diggs gets notably pissed off, as do the leaders. So, er, thats emotion then.

That was actually the whole point.

The leader dude posing as Father had copious amounts of artwork in his chambers (the one in which the final fight takes place).

I'd have thought that was obvious.

MAX

Laying the 314 on your candy ass.

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 42
RE: wow.... - 16/7/2006 3:00:35 AM   
UTB

quote:

ORIGINAL: max314

quote:

The leader dude posing as Father had copious amounts of artwork in his chambers (the one in which the final fight takes place).

It was obvious, but it wasn't what I was talking about.

Taye Diggs' character is supposed to be taking the emotion supressing drug, yet we quite clearly see him agitated or pissed off at numerous points in the film.

Anger = Emotion.

Comprende?

(in reply to max314)
Post #: 43
RE: wow.... - 16/7/2006 12:14:32 PM   
boot

i never had any real interest in watching this, but it was in a housemates collection and i was bored. cant see how anyone can get excited by this film. not exactly brimming with originality but hey you could let that slip if it wasnt for the fact the film is so forgetable. watchable, yes, but i can barely remember anything that happened in it. though it didn't get on my tits as much as the matrix

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 44
RE: wow.... - 16/7/2006 12:28:17 PM   
maffew

quote:

quote:

quote:

Taye Diggs' character is supposed to be taking the emotion supressing drug, yet we quite clearly see him agitated or pissed off at numerous points in the film.

Anger = Emotion.

Comprende?

yeah, and infact the entire idea of a nation controlled by a lack of emotion is silly anyway.. if they fervantly believe in something, even if it is a 'lack' of emotion, thats still an emotion... if they were devoid of a need to do anything that'd be a lack of emotion..

"Now i don't know much about security lighting, but i'm guessing they'll be using 180-degree dispersing halogens with motion sensors"

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 45
I don't know why, but i like it - 1/9/2006 11:07:31 PM   
Ryan_D_Bell

Once I got over the tiny budget and expecting to be bored; I found myself enjoying this little gem. Okay gun-kata is a bit poo, but Bale is brilliant and the final confrontation from the emotion chair was very memorable. I like this film, but then again I enjoyed Aeon Flux also, yes I know it's shit, but I can't help it!

Post #: 46
- 16/4/2007 12:53:35 PM   
davieboy

A good plot and good acting by Bale. but a little bit over exagurated but still really cool and no matter how much people say it's crap i liked it

Post #: 47
- 16/4/2007 12:55:12 PM   
davieboy

Once I got over the tiny budget and expecting to be bored; I found myself enjoying this little gem. Okay gun-kata is a bit poo, but Bale is brilliant and the final confrontation from the emotion chair was very memorable. I like this film, but then again I enjoyed Aeon Flux also, yes I know it's shit, but I can't help it! ... Read More

Post #: 48
- 16/4/2007 12:55:13 PM   
davieboy

Once I got over the tiny budget and expecting to be bored; I found myself enjoying this little gem. Okay gun-kata is a bit poo, but Bale is brilliant and the final confrontation from the emotion chair was very memorable. I like this film, but then again I enjoyed Aeon Flux also, yes I know it's shit, but I can't help it! ... Read More

Post #: 49
Not bad! - 26/6/2007 4:51:02 PM   
surfy

without christian bale this would have been a one or two star but he gives a good performance in this. Wasnt struck on the choice for main female lead or the dynamics of the relationship between watson n bales characters either. The definate highlight of the film would be the shoot up at the start... careful if ya dont like strobe lighting!

Post #: 50
A nice slice of sci-fi - 9/8/2008 4:31:45 PM   
SkullKassidy

I think this is a nice little underrated sci-fi film. Bale may be carrying the film alittle at some points, but hey, he carries it pretty well I think. He makes the plight of someone feeling emotion for the first time in his life seem pretty believable. The action scenes are pretty smart and inventive(including the invention of a martial art for fighting with guns, which is cool). The tone and fight scenes may have taken some inspiration from the Matrix, but it's not as similiar as everyone makes out. All in all, definately worth a watch.

Post #: 51
Utter rubbish....but fun! - 15/9/2008 5:15:59 PM   
Pat Roach

This is one of the worst films ever. Exhibits A to whatever:
-They all display emotion. Absolutley everyone.
-Christian Bale is constantly giving himself away with his emotion but isn't caught till the end? Silly
-The badguys are bad 'cos they kill puppies? Obscene
-It rips off not one but many films; Matrix, Total Recall, 1984 to name 3. Not to mention poor Ray Bradbury.
-Also it's so cheap that the sets wibble.
However, it has 2 things going for it. Gun Kata which is ridiculous but I love it...and Robert the Bruce who's fat in it. Which is funny.

Post #: 52
Flawed but great fun - 2/7/2009 1:51:27 PM   
brokenking

I saw this four times before buying it (which is quite sad I suppose). So it shouldn't come as a surprise that I like it. Yes there are flaws with this film, the dialogue gives away one of the problems with the whole premise, but the gun fights are easily on par with the Matrix. Given this had, I think, a third of the budget of the first Matrix film, Kurt Wimmer showed it was possible to be flashly without multiply cameras slowing time or computers. He achieved this with Christian Bale pulling off some cool looking moves with minimal wire or computer assistance and looking suitablitly deadly all times. Who cares if none of the gun kata would work in the real world?

This is a film to be enjoyed not to be thought about. If you did think about it you'd spot the hole in the premise a mile off. In all fairness this is probably a 3 or 3 and a half star film, but with the DVD extras you can skip straight to the fights and enjoy the best bits over again (which I have many, many times) so I'm giving it four stars.

Post #: 53
underated - 9/12/2009 3:25:13 PM   
Smootle

In what way is this a matrix knockoff? I don't get that at all. The fighting style Bale uses is completely different, so is the plot, the characters..Odd. If you read 1984 and enjoyed it then you'll love this, especially if you like awesome fight scenes and great acting. The way Bale handles his sudden onslaught of emotions is superb. Imagine being slap bang in the middle of that kind of world and suddenly experiencing emotion - ouch.
Great plot twists, character relationships, and it builds the suspense well. The empire reviewer really sells the film short. It owes most of its brilliant concepts to orwell but it does them enough justice to justify using them, if you get me. One of Bales better movies.

Post #: 54
Bale-Best and better than Matrix!!! - 11/5/2010 5:12:08 AM   
sumiebeg

What's wrong with an action film that couldn't deliver right at the BO and became a flop? It doesn't do a lot of deep thinking, but it scores a lot better than the combo of Matrix- there is no preachings of the Architect and the Oracle.

Post #: 55
Equilibrium Review - 14/4/2012 10:37:14 PM   
the film man

Equilibrium would be a mindless action picture, except that it has a mind. It doesn't do a lot of deep thinking, but unlike many futuristic combos of sf and f/x, it does make a statement. I am surprised it bombed at the box office since it has very good action sequences.

Post #: 56
Underrated and misunderstood - 31/8/2012 10:47:28 PM   
LifeNeedsMeaning

The rift between critics and the public propelled this action-packed yet emotionally fuelled science fiction film into underrated territory. Despite some wise words coming from the director and writer of this film, Kurt Wimmer, of his preference of fan reaction over critical reception, this film will sadly not be accepted by critics as something significant or deep, merely a copy on films such as 1984 and Fahrenheit 451. Of course, they're missing the point, which is why it is quite sad.
It's kind of insulting when people assume the superior science fiction films, the classics, such as the Matrix, because people become so deeply offended when they refuse to analyse others properly and claim that they're copying afterwards. The backdrop of this film is suppressing emotions in a totalitarian state, but there is a particular root to this as to why this is happening. It is extremely fascinating to see a sudden accident turn a man from an emotionless destroyer to a human being who discovers his true colours - someone who is living, thinking...feeling. It transforms a would be action film into something that is actually analysing itself - particularly exposing the flaws of the institution. This isn't any old science fiction film - I mean, is it really worth eradicating emotion from a world to prevent war? Are they treating it like an illness? Emotions may cause conflict, but is it really necessary to get rid of it to bring peace? And I found the use of Gun Kata entertaining rather than overwhelming.

Post #: 57
RE: wow.... - 31/8/2012 10:54:25 PM   
LifeNeedsMeaning

quote:

ORIGINAL: maffew

quote:

quote:

quote:

Anger = Emotion.

Comprende?

yeah, and infact the entire idea of a nation controlled by a lack of emotion is silly anyway.. if they fervantly believe in something, even if it is a 'lack' of emotion, thats still an emotion... if they were devoid of a need to do anything that'd be a lack of emotion..

Perhaps this is rather a flaw on the totalitarian state itself rather than the film. I think the film was trying to point that out.

'Why would I make a movie for someone I wouldn't want to hang out with? Have you ever met a critic who you wanted to party with? I haven't.' - Kurt Wimmer, on the poor critical reception of his film Equilibrium.

(in reply to maffew)
Post #: 58
RE: Decent Enough - 31/8/2012 11:02:55 PM   
LifeNeedsMeaning

quote:

Why did the bad guy have to be British? Was it really relevant to the storyline or are we all just evil?

Christian Bale is British, if you didn't know. Technically he's Welsh, but Wales is part of the United Kingdom.

'Why would I make a movie for someone I wouldn't want to hang out with? Have you ever met a critic who you wanted to party with? I haven't.' - Kurt Wimmer, on the poor critical reception of his film Equilibrium.

(in reply to BobaJango)
Post #: 59
RE: Decent Enough - 31/8/2012 11:05:50 PM   
UTB

Whatever man, 6 years on and my opinion has dropped - this film is a silly as bollocks idea with some kung foolery thrown in to try and differentiate it from other action films of the time. Apart from The Matrix, of course, which it wishes it was.

Even the hiding the art shizzle is V For Vendetta lite.

quote:

A nice little action flick

You've changed, man.

< Message edited by UTB -- 31/8/2012 11:12:15 PM >

(in reply to LifeNeedsMeaning)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Equilibrium Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI