Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Another slice of comedy gold!

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Another slice of comedy gold! Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Another slice of comedy gold! - 17/11/2010 3:44:36 AM   
sweetladybrick

Once again I disagree with Empire's review: but in this case, I think you've been too bloody kind.

How do they make "da money"? Good point, I haven't paid to see one of the RE movies since the first one. From then on I made it my mission to undermine the film's success by only watching illegal copies. Some franchises deserve that. Hell, some directors derserve it. Anderson, you've done it again! YOU FUCKING HACK! Still, it was nice to see Neil's big sister from "The Inbetweeners" and that jock who thought he was in 'The Matrix' was pretty fucking funny too.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 61
Another slice of comedy gold! - 17/11/2010 3:44:37 AM   
sweetladybrick

Once again I disagree with Empire's review: but in this case, I think you've been too bloody kind.

How do they make "da money"? Good point, I haven't paid to see one of the RE movies since the first one. From then on I made it my mission to undermine the film's success by only watching illegal copies. Some franchises deserve that. Hell, some directors derserve it. Anderson, you've done it again! YOU FUCKING HACK! Still, it was nice to see Neil's big sister from "The Inbetweeners" and that jock who thought he was in 'The Matrix' was pretty fucking funny too.

Post #: 62
who cares about 3d...the film was sh*t - 10/12/2010 4:36:23 PM   
lifesabeach

people are saying it started with high action that was amazing...clearly i seem to have missed that. i thought the fight scenes were really bloody poor. watching them was really boring. i was willing to give the film a chance after the last two being, in my own opinion, extremly crap. although i was slightly disapointed with the first film not being more true to the games (including actual characters and following each game story), but i still really enjoyed it, they still kept key elements the same and kept the strange, eerie silence with the helloween style music, and the score was amazing. the 2nd was watchable, barley, the third, personally, i found that all she did was kill some birds. and this, well,,, i really wanted it to be good, but i ended up having to switch it off after she landed on the roof with the plane. i even watched skyline to the end and thats saying something, because that also almost placed me into a coma. if only you could give it no stars!

Post #: 63
PISS BLOODY POOR - 10/12/2010 4:38:29 PM   
lifesabeach

AND WHATS WITH THE SURFER STYLE WESKER !!???

Post #: 64
RE: PISS BLOODY POOR - 1/1/2011 8:21:15 PM   
Deviation

Theeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee dumbeeeeeeeeeeeeeeest mooooooooooooooovie I've seen laaaaaaaast yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeear and after 45 miiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiinutes it also stoooooooooooooooooooops being fun and becomes a tiresome excesssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss of slooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow mooooooooooooooooooooootion.

Seriously, this is the dumbest use of slow-motion I've seen yet. You can as much as swing your hand and Anderson would put slow-motion on it. Truly dire and probably as terrible as AvP, only saved from being as atrocious as that film by its own daunting stupidity which prevents it from being just as dull.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to lifesabeach)
Post #: 65
RE: PISS BLOODY POOR - 1/1/2011 8:35:18 PM   
simonmckergan1

Perhaps Anderson had been watching Garth Marenhi's Darkplace and realised that the only way he could make his film run for over an hour was to use slow-mo?
[image]http://media24.podbean.com/pb/741dba7b373c2743cd961cf5472e0932/4d1f8fd7/blogs24/97450/archive/garth1.jpg[/image]

< Message edited by simonmckergan1 -- 1/1/2011 11:49:29 PM >

As you can see, my young apprentice, your friends have failed. Now witness the firepower of this fully ARMED and OPERATIONAL battle station!

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 66
RE: PISS BLOODY POOR - 7/1/2011 11:16:40 PM   
white mage

Another high powered instalment from the Resident Evil franchise. Why do they say it's based on the video games if it does'nt follow the story from the games? Also Alice isn't even a charactor in the games. It was good to see Chris introduced into the movies, Wentworth Miller got Chris's moodiness down to a T, if you don't agree, watch Resident Evil: Degeneration, such a moody git in that, his worse than Cloud in Final Fantasy. The ending was cool, lots of helicoptors surrounding the ship, how are they going to get out of that one?

We do not write the songs, we live them

(in reply to simonmckergan1)
Post #: 67
Give Up - 9/1/2011 7:18:59 PM   
Joelrobinson

i dont know why i keep watching resident evil films

Post #: 68
Why Does This man Continue To Make Films - 17/3/2011 4:11:26 PM   
dawhite21

Why do these films keep getting the go ahead ? Really this film is frankly awful, from start to finish. I am a huge fan of the games, who is not ? but these films piss all over them without the courtesy of calling it rain. The director is just a hack, but for some reason does not get the same hate that Uwe Ball does which i find strange. There is no tralent directorial wise at all, in fact is there even a story ? I find it weird that there is plenty of people who have potential to make great films, Frank Darabont anyone. But this man continues to get reasonable sized budgets to keep making reprocessed shit. The amount of matrix rip-offs and the very noticeable Akira rip off in this film are ridiculous. Anybody that generally thinks this is good in any way is an idiot, sorry if this causes offence but really it is that bad

Post #: 69
RE: Why Does This man Continue To Make Films - 2/5/2011 11:40:55 PM   
KeithM

Resident Evil: Afterlife

Confession: The Resident Evil films are a bit of a guilty pleasure. I'm not a fan of the games at all, so I'm ignorant of how faithful the films are to the games, and I know they're mindless bollocks, but for the most part they've been quite enjoyable mindless bollocks. Not this one though, I'm afraid. It has some not bad moments and some visually arresting sequences, and some of the performances aren't all bad, but on the other hand, some performances really are terribly bad (the Wesker character is truly awful), and the plot plays out like, well, a video game - fight your way through some baddies, beat a boss baddy, repeat until dead or you win. The (over)use of slo-mo is really confusing and incongruous too - until you realise that this was shown in 3D originally and the slo-mo is so you can see all that "oomph" in ultra high def boringvision. In 2D it only highlights how 3D cannot substitute for genuine tension, thrills and excitement. Paul WS Anderson has some visual flair as a director, but doesn't seem to have the intelligence to know when less is more and when to just tell a story rather than try to wow with imagery. A mess. Stay away unless you're a real Resident Evil completist.

3/10

(in reply to dawhite21)
Post #: 70
- 26/9/2011 1:38:51 PM   
AlexObscene

I thought the film was great,okay not the best Resident Evil but it was fantastic,and i loved it in 3D.Spent ages waiting for it and wasn't disapointed at all

Post #: 71
RE: - 21/11/2011 10:52:42 AM   
Vitamin F

A franchise that started off badly and has steadily went downhill from there...this one barely has any zombie action in it for a start.
What a load of total cobblers, Mr Anderson, even by your standards.

(in reply to AlexObscene)
Post #: 72
Resident Evil: Afterlife Review - 26/1/2012 5:25:47 PM   
the film man

As dim-witted and lifeless as its undead antagonists, Resident Evil: Afterlife is a wholly unnecessary addition to the franchise. The action is also impossible to entertain because of the excessive use of slo-mo.

Post #: 73
- 18/3/2012 7:58:27 PM   
ChrisAJ20

The franchise's fourth film is worth a look if you've seen the previous three. However a major flaw was that the third film suggested the world was one big desert, so why is there still cities standing and a tanker in the middle of the sea? I also felt that a film had been 'skipped' in order to make this one due to some plot holes. On the plus side it still delivered what audiences have come to expect from the Resident Evil series.

Post #: 74
RE: - 17/2/2013 5:13:29 AM   
Phubbs

Resident Evil: Afterlife (2010)

With probably the most over the top, outlandish, in your face action sequence you've seen for sometime comes the fourth entry of the endless Resi Evil franchise. Now I REALLY am gonna try and not mention a certain Keanu Reeves sci-fi action film involving 'bullet time' too much if possible but its gonna be hard.

This outrageously insane kamikaze opening sequence where all the clone 'Alice's' storm the 'Umbrella Tokyo Headquarters' is actually a guilty pleasure I must admit. Its so ridiculously stupid using every cliche in the action film textbook and rips every possible slick visual imagery you can think of from various other action/sc-fi films...yet its great fun. Jovovich/'Alice' is sleek, sexy and deadly as the clones tear the faceless 'Umbrella' stormtroopers apart with machine guns and katanas. Bloody squibs bursting from the seams, bullet holes, hits to the head by 'Wesker' on his own men at point blank range, beheadings...oh my!!.

Only one question begs to be answered, where did all those 'Alice' clones get all those identical figure hugging catsuits??.

So the drudgery continues as 'Alice' goes from one area to the next battling the undead and watching more and more of hers allies go down one by one. This time she lands her plane on a huge prison in LA, not too sure why she would quite clearly get herself stuck on this prison, let alone almost killing herself and 'Claire' whilst trying to land on the roof. But she does because there are survivors there...but surely anyone would just fly by and find a more secure place? this prison is surrounded by millions of zombies! pfft your funeral.

The ensemble cast is actually pretty cool in this, on the same page as the first film although not many famous names. Alongside 'Alice' in this prison we have the token black guy who runs around in a vest so we can see his big muscles, at least he's well spoken. Standard fare sexy brunette who is British (at least she isn't a blonde), the excellent Kim Coates as a slimy film producer (nice touch Mr Anderson), a funny little oriental fellow, standard fare tough guy backup number two called 'Angel' and Wentworth Miller who again is behind bars.

To be totally frank this fourth film is completely run of the mill, bog standard stuff in terms of plot. Its simply another setup for 'Alice' to piledrive into with a new team of zombie fodder at her side. The thing is like the first film its still quite an enjoyable ride, its totally predictable, totally cliched and pretty much rehashes the same stuff all over again but in a different location. But thanks to a quirky cast the film is pretty cool I think. 

There are still plot questions that hit me, especially as this is now the fourth film. Anyone notice that the 'Umbrella Company' has so many underground bases? also they are VAST underground bases!. How and when did they build them?? (under Tokyo??!!), how are 'Umbrella' so rich n powerful? Where on earth do all the 'Umbrella' henchmen come from? how come they are always safe? where do they get all their guns and ammo? how come they are so useless and why would they wanna do their evil job? why does 'Umbrella' carry on playing with the dead when the human race is almost extinct!? and finally not being a game player...who was that huge axe wielding guy? where the heck did he come from?.

I must also ask why the cities in this franchise are in ruins? the undead are eating everyone not blowing up buildings, so why are they all stripped down to their structures and burnt out?. The other main question was why some zombies can now run and have tentacles coming out of their mouths just like the vamps in 'Blade II'. When did this evolution occur?.

I can't delve deeper for obvious reasons, the film is what it is and we all know this, its Resi Evil, don't question that. The film does deliver in my opinion, it gives you what you expect with some decent visuals and good close quarter action. The finale against 'Wesker' is just as insanely 'Matrix-like' as the opening sequence and just as mind bogglingly daft, maybe more so. The rock soundtrack in the background means its officially cool, its official.

You do feel the tension in these films when the heat is on and its time to escape from somewhere. The fact 'Alice' isn't a superhero this time boosts the film giving a sense of uncertainty for once, even though you know she still won't die, still helps.

< Message edited by Phubbs -- 18/2/2013 6:11:48 AM >

(in reply to ChrisAJ20)
Post #: 75
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Another slice of comedy gold! Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI