Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Resident Evil: Afterlife

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Resident Evil: Afterlife Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Resident Evil: Afterlife - 10/9/2010 1:13:41 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
Kim Newman ???? - 10/9/2010 1:17:06 PM   
Soundwave1984

Edit - Mr Newman is contracted for reviews of certain lengths - stick to discussing the content or the film please. Personal attacks are unacceptable posting behaviour.

< Message edited by elab49 -- 10/9/2010 1:51:36 PM >

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
RE: Kim Newman ???? - 10/9/2010 1:24:30 PM   
captainrentboy

I'm off to see this tonight at Imax (Got some 2 for 1 tickets from Odeon, so wont feel too ripped off if it's utter shite) not expecting too much, just hope it'll turn out mildly entertaining like the other R.E films. Every other review I've read has said the 3D aint half bad mind, so it's odd that Kim thought it wasn't up to much.

(in reply to Soundwave1984)
Post #: 3
RE: Kim Newman ???? - 10/9/2010 1:25:22 PM   
simonmckergan1

Edit - removed quote of deleted post.

Chill dude, its only a film..........

< Message edited by elab49 -- 10/9/2010 1:54:05 PM >

As you can see, my young apprentice, your friends have failed. Now witness the firepower of this fully ARMED and OPERATIONAL battle station!

(in reply to Soundwave1984)
Post #: 4
RE: Kim Newman ???? - 10/9/2010 2:36:42 PM   
The Hooded Man

The Daily Mirror only gave it two stars, the equivalent of a no star review from anyone else. Oh dear.

Counting the minutes until the over zealous mods lock this thread too.

(in reply to simonmckergan1)
Post #: 5
RE: Kim Newman ???? - 10/9/2010 2:39:21 PM   
Deviation

It gets 2 stars and people still complain? 

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to The Hooded Man)
Post #: 6
RE: Kim Newman ???? - 10/9/2010 4:40:50 PM   
sowasred2012

Read a couple reviews on this just now. Turns out Anderson leaves it open for a sequel LIKE HE DOES IN EVERY SINGLE ONE OF HIS FILMS.

When will he ever learn to just END something?!

At least then we'd have a prayer's chance of getting to the (surely inevitable) reboot where fanboys like myself can start hoping and wishing that someone manages to take the franchise and make a decent horror film out of it, rather than this guns 'n' girls superheroine crap.

Poor people are crazy, Jack. I'm eccentric.

http://www.srmason.co.uk/blog/
http://www.twitter.com/sowasred2012

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 7
RE: Kim Newman ???? - 10/9/2010 7:15:25 PM   
fugaziuk

saw it today - true the story and dialogue are awful - i thought the visuals and the 3d were very impressive.

(in reply to sowasred2012)
Post #: 8
RE: Resident Evil: Afterlife - 10/9/2010 7:51:24 PM   
Nostromo.

I quite enjoyed this film. The action riffs off a lot of other action films of recent years and yes the dialogue is rather wooden but the effects are pretty decent and the 3D rather quite good. 

No Time To Bleed

What Do You Use For Bait? Paypal?

Post #: 9
RE: Resident Evil: Afterlife - 10/9/2010 9:09:49 PM   
The REAL Bozz

I loved it. Ton's of fun and it looked great. The plot was simple but worked and the cast looked like they had a great time. I've got my fingers crossed for a part 5, more so after a particular lady makes a post credit appearance!

Films I've watched
Star Trek Into Darkness ***
Iron Man 3 *****
Evil Dead (2013) ***
Bait 3D ***

(in reply to Nostromo.)
Post #: 10
RE: Resident Evil: Afterlife - 11/9/2010 12:13:50 AM   
juanvasquez

I enjoyed it. If you're a fan of the series, so will you. The acting is of Asylum proportions, but that was mainly Wesker. It's as if they've copied the voice acting from RE1 for their characters .

I have to say, if there was no slow motion it'd only be 50 mins long!

3 stars from me, better than the last one, which wasn't hard to beat tbh. The 3D, while impressive for location shots and the odd bid of action was a bit pointless. Didn't mind it though. Just felt unnecessary.

*******SPOILERS*******

It seems they chose the guy who plays Chris for his scowl, which he has down to a tee. He seems to be more of a smart arse than the Chris we know from the games, but I liked the character.

I knew Luther would appear at the end, due to not actually seeing his demise. He was quite a good character too.

***********END SPOILERS************

I felt the Resi 5 enemies were kind of shoehorned in with no explanation. Like the big executioner dude. And now the zombies have the opening faces. Where as before they didn't but that doesn't matter it seems...

Never mind. It was fun.

Apart from the mouth breathing cunts I was surrounded by who would not stop talking all the fucking way through. It was like the dregs of the town were ushered into the screen just to keep them out the way. Twats.

Check out my cult games reviews and features at Horror Cult Films

(in reply to The REAL Bozz)
Post #: 11
Take it for what it is... Great, fun action. - 11/9/2010 7:33:35 AM   
burgessappleton

Great addition to the series. After the opening clone sequence there is a boring part with the lead character but once she meets up with others the action never really let's up. Loads of scenes for Resident Evil fans and good to see Chris Redfield introduced. Wesker sounds a little cheesy but definitely looks the part, an I suppose the whole film look the part. Effects seem pretty top notch and the 3D isn't in your face like I expected. Like Avatar the 3D seems to give depth and go into the screen rather than pop out which works for me.
Also worth a mention is the score which again works quite well and probably fits better than the previous last two movies.

Post #: 12
Kim Newman...Drab 3D??? - 11/9/2010 7:50:59 AM   
burgessappleton

Seems to me like Newman wants to take a pop at every single part o this movie. Frommy opinion and friends it certainly isn't drab. Plus from the packed out cinema it certainly seemed to provoke a very good reaction. For fans of Resident Evil or Action/Horror I highly recommend...

Post #: 13
RE: Kim Newman...Drab 3D??? - 11/9/2010 10:18:16 AM   
The REAL Bozz

You all know Chris, Claire and Wesker aren't the only game characters in this one right? There was a special cameo there 20 seconds into the credits which sets up the next film! Tell me you saw it!

Films I've watched
Iron Man 3 *****
Evil Dead (2013) ***
Bait 3D ***

(in reply to burgessappleton)
Post #: 14
RE: Kim Newman...Drab 3D??? - 11/9/2010 10:23:00 AM   
juanvasquez

Yeah, but was barely worth mentioning, and was ruined by the cast credits preceding it!

Post #: 15
RE: Kim Newman...Drab 3D??? - 11/9/2010 10:25:44 AM   
The REAL Bozz

Barely worth mentioning? How could you not be pumped by that set up and she looked ACE!! I've got my fingers crossed for pt5 just so she's gets back front and center!!

Films I've watched
Iron Man 3 *****
Evil Dead (2013) ***
Bait 3D ***

(in reply to juanvasquez)
Post #: 16
RE: Kim Newman...Drab 3D??? - 11/9/2010 10:38:27 AM   
juanvasquez

Because it'll be an anti climax! Just like 'prepare him for project Nemesis!'

Post #: 17
RE: Kim Newman...Drab 3D??? - 11/9/2010 11:01:54 AM   
The REAL Bozz

There's no such thing as an anti climax where she is concerned!

Films I've watched
Iron Man 3 *****
Evil Dead (2013) ***
Bait 3D ***

(in reply to juanvasquez)
Post #: 18
RE: Resident Evil: Afterlife - 11/9/2010 11:08:48 AM   
MoBiUGeArSkIn

Resident Evil: Afterlife is epic. On a technical level this is the best thing that Paul Anderson has ever done. I don't know what the budget was but every penny of it is on the screen. The action is incredibly well staged and it all looks awesome in 3D! I'm not even joking, the difference between this and the conversions I've seen recently is night and day. And since Paul Anderson doesn't know the meaning of the word "restraint" he attempts to exploit 3D wherever possible by chucking everything in and out of the screen. Guns are shoved up your nose, bullets burst heads and then the contents of heads splatter the screen. Explosions, debris, blades, axes, sunglasses. It all looks awesome.

In terms of everything else it's pretty much what you would expect. Light on "story", dodgy performances, abnormally weak dialogue etc. Saying that, this film seems more knowing than the other three and the delivery of most one liners comes with a wry smile. The screening was packed last night and people seemed to really dig it, especially Wesker. The dude playing Wesker nails it hard. He doesn't get that much time on screen but he's clearly enjoying himself

My only real complaint is the blatant sequel baiting. It's to the point that the events that unfold are for nought. Make sure you don't leave when the credits roll though!

You're not going crazy, Arthur. You're going sane in a crazy world!

Post #: 19
RE: Resident Evil: Afterlife - 11/9/2010 12:47:09 PM   
fugaziuk

quote:

There was a special cameo there 20 seconds into the credits which sets up the next film! Tell me you saw it!

Who was it?? Sienna Guileroy?? I left as soon as the film finished.

(in reply to MoBiUGeArSkIn)
Post #: 20
RE: Resident Evil: Afterlife - 11/9/2010 12:49:50 PM   
The REAL Bozz

Yep! You missed her buddy. She was ace.

Films I've watched
Iron Man 3 *****
Evil Dead (2013) ***
Bait 3D ***

(in reply to fugaziuk)
Post #: 21
RE: Resident Evil: Afterlife - 11/9/2010 1:12:14 PM   
MoBiUGeArSkIn

SPOILERS!!! regarding the cameo... highlight to read...

Yeah, Jill shows up on one of those flying ship things. She's leather clad with one of those mind control spider robots on her chest, pretty much identical to how she was in Resident Evil 5. Which is awesome!

And if you notice, when Wesker's ship is apparently blown up you see a parachute hit the water. Can assume he's still alive. Having both of them as the villains in the next film would be sick, should it happen. And I hope it does.

END SPOILERS!

< Message edited by MoBiUGeArSkIn -- 11/9/2010 1:13:21 PM >

Post #: 22
RE: Resident Evil: Afterlife - 11/9/2010 1:36:49 PM   
captainrentboy

Saw it in one of Odeon's Imax screens and enjoyed most of it.
Due to the fact the 'plot' is so minimal (non-existant), as soon as the action scenes died down the talky bits were a particular drag, especially so with some of the piss poor acting on display. But I thought the action sequences themselves were great, really well shot with no quick cut editing and no 3D blurring. Suuure they largely and quite blatently ripped off The Matrix but Anderson still did a good job with them.
Also, I'm not really sure why Newman felt the need to have a dig at the 3D, it was easily the second best 3D I've seen at the cinema after ole y'know what. (And that includes Pixar's output) The only thing it seemed to have a problem with was the numorous flame torches in some scenes, the ghosting with those was quite bad but apart from that the 3D was a great addition.

Ohh and I really loved the 2 on 1 fight scene at the end, could've done with that being a good few minutes longer!!
Overall I'd give it a 3/5, 2.5 for the film and 0.5 for the 3D implementation

Post #: 23
Are you kidding me. - 11/9/2010 5:28:23 PM   
Death_Row_Marv

Apart from the Collector, this is the worst film this year. 2 stars is kind to this film. Awful. This wants to be the Matrix so bad it is not even its own film. Worst of the bunch. Agent Wesker, Agent Smith no sorry just Wesker follows ever single mannerism of Hugo Weaving. The fight scenes are boring and so stupid. The talky bits are so wooden and badly acted. The only kind words I can say is the 3D is OK.

I have never been so tempted to walk out of the cinema in such a long time. I really have no clue why anybody could like this film.

Rule one. I am always right.
Rule two. If it looks like I am wrong refer to rule one.
Check out http://marksfilmview.wordpress.com/

Post #: 24
RE: Are you kidding me. - 11/9/2010 9:30:03 PM   
hampstead bandit

I'm a big fan of the Resident Evil films, so don't care about the 2 star reviews the newspapers have been giving this new film

off to see it next week, in 3D, will report back asap!

(in reply to Death_Row_Marv)
Post #: 25
RE: Are you kidding me. - 12/9/2010 11:14:06 AM   
MoBiUGeArSkIn

quote:

ORIGINAL: Death_Row_Marv

Apart from the Collector, this is the worst film this year. 2 stars is kind to this film. Awful. This wants to be the Matrix so bad it is not even its own film. Worst of the bunch. Agent Wesker, Agent Smith no sorry just Wesker follows ever single mannerism of Hugo Weaving. The fight scenes are boring and so stupid. The talky bits are so wooden and badly acted. The only kind words I can say is the 3D is OK.

I have never been so tempted to walk out of the cinema in such a long time. I really have no clue why anybody could like this film.

That, or Smith wants to be Wesker?

Post #: 26
RE: Are you kidding me. - 12/9/2010 2:41:39 PM   
kenada_woo

Have to go along with MoBiUGeArSkIn and Bozz on this one...I had an absolute blast of a time watching this on Friday as did the packed audience I saw it with.

The 3D just makes all the action scenes that more fun and engaging, with each set piece hitting all the right adrenaline buttons. The added bonus of Anderson letting go and throwing everything he wants at the screen just made the whole thing a great rollercoaster ride. I've heard people complain that its just a rip off of the Matrix...but in all honesty, The Matrix is probably THE film you'd like to see in 3D - and Afterlife basically delivered that 3D experience.

Yes the story is basically a big rehash of the previous 3 films (survivors needing to find a safe haven), there are plot holes, and yes the dialogue is wooden (like I was expecting Shakespear) but the film rides along at a pace, the NineInchNails inspired soundtrack rocks, Milla, Later and a great cameo by Gullory (pure fit is all Im saying) blaze away and look sexy - there's even some eye candy for the ladies.

Its a basic leave the brain and enjoy the ride type movie that delivers great action with 3D head-shots and explosions a plenty as an added bonus.

If you love big action and the previous movies, you need to check it out. Great fun.

****/*****

http://dereksdontrunfilms.blogspot.co.uk/

"You bailed out a Jamaican street named Monkey the other day, I want him. This other piece of shit, Screwface, I want him. I know you're a scumbag and a puke, I don't mind that, but give me what I need and I'll leave here a nice guy. If you don't, I'm gonna fuck you up. "

Hatcher. Marked For Death

Post #: 27
RE: Are you kidding me. - 12/9/2010 4:48:14 PM   
Death_Row_Marv

Seeing as this film version of Wesker came after the Matrix your comment makes no sense.

Post #: 28
RE: Are you kidding me. - 12/9/2010 4:50:45 PM   
Death_Row_Marv

****/*****
quote:

Films Watched:
Piranha 3D - 4/5
Tekken (2010) - 3/5
The Expendables - 4/5
Scott Pilgrim - 2/5

You rate the train wreck of a movie Tekken better than Scott Pilgrim??? Really?

(in reply to kenada_woo)
Post #: 29
RE: Are you kidding me. - 12/9/2010 4:59:52 PM   
juanvasquez

quote:

ORIGINAL: Death_Row_Marv

Seeing as this film version of Wesker came after the Matrix your comment makes no sense.

But did the game?

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Resident Evil: Afterlife Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI