Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: The Historical Fiction thread

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> RE: The Historical Fiction thread Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Historical Fiction thread - 13/2/2011 8:11:45 PM   
Peppermint

I looked up Wolf Hall by her on your recommendation elab and it definitely seems like my kind of book

"Dr Jackson's gonna die when he sees this."

"What, again?"

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 31
RE: The Historical Fiction thread - 13/2/2011 8:53:43 PM   
nomimalone

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hobbitonlass

I LOVE the books by C J Sansom!  Picked up the first one last year (Dissolution) and then devoured the following 3 very quickly (Dark Fire, Sovereign, Revelation).  Was pretty much camped on the door of the library for the new one which came out in November (Heartstone). 

All set around Henry VIII's time and about the reformation and I just love the way it's written.  You can really get the feel of the place with how he describes the time and places.    Wish there were more like this.  I like the religious side of it particulary so if there are any more about the reformation or around that time then I'd be interested

Totally agree. A friend recommended these to me because he knows I like a good mystery/thriller and I'm a history nut and I love them. Shardlake is a great character and Sansom writes about the period so well that you feel you're there!

I'm glad to see a recommendation for Wolf Hall too. Picked it up a while ago, but haven't got around to starting it yet.

< Message edited by nomimalone -- 13/2/2011 8:55:04 PM >

(in reply to Hobbitonlass)
Post #: 32
RE: The Historical Fiction thread - 15/2/2011 9:12:23 AM   
Hobbitonlass

I looked up Wolf Hall on the library catalogue yesterday and every single copy across the borough is out on loan!  Must be popular   Might have to buy it as I want to read it now.....

Come join in the Photo competition http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3116407&mpage=1&key=

(in reply to nomimalone)
Post #: 33
RE: The Historical Fiction thread - 18/2/2011 3:09:32 PM   
Funkyrae

To be honest Hobs I really wouldn't bother. I really wanted to read it, thought it sounded absolutely brilliant. I think I managed about six chapters before I gave up, absolute waste of time. Extremely difficult to read and very hard to get a grasp on what's actually going on.

That's me that is!

(in reply to Hobbitonlass)
Post #: 34
RE: The Historical Fiction thread - 18/2/2011 3:11:55 PM   
elab49

I'll play Devil's Advocate and say it's one of the best pieces of fiction - historical or otherwise - that I've read in years.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to Funkyrae)
Post #: 35
RE: The Historical Fiction thread - 19/2/2011 6:49:19 PM   
Funkyrae

I know plenty of people must have liked it, I know it ended up on a few of those 'best books I've ever read' list things but I just couldn't get past her use of language. The way it switched between first and third person without warning and just generally over complicated writing.

That's me that is!

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 36
RE: The Historical Fiction thread - 26/5/2011 8:27:01 PM   
RPupkin

I like to read a lot of historical fiction but also a lot of military and historical factual books too. I was wondering if we could change this into a discussion thread about history/military/war books in general? Or should I open a new thread? Please advise weird green people.

(in reply to Funkyrae)
Post #: 37
RE: The Historical Fiction thread - 26/5/2011 8:53:51 PM   
elab49

We don't generally change topics mid-thread - others may still wish to discuss this one. So I'd recommend trying a search first - to make sure there isn't an existing thread - and, if not, go for it.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to RPupkin)
Post #: 38
RE: The Historical Fiction thread - 26/5/2011 9:43:16 PM   
Peppermint

quote:

ORIGINAL: RPupkin

I like to read a lot of historical fiction but also a lot of military and historical factual books too. I was wondering if we could change this into a discussion thread about history/military/war books in general? Or should I open a new thread? Please advise weird green people.

Less of the weird and green, if you don't mind

"Dr Jackson's gonna die when he sees this."

"What, again?"

(in reply to RPupkin)
Post #: 39
RE: The Historical Fiction thread - 26/5/2011 10:41:58 PM   
RobotDevil

quote:

ORIGINAL: nomimalone

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hobbitonlass

I LOVE the books by C J Sansom!  Picked up the first one last year (Dissolution) and then devoured the following 3 very quickly (Dark Fire, Sovereign, Revelation).  Was pretty much camped on the door of the library for the new one which came out in November (Heartstone). 

All set around Henry VIII's time and about the reformation and I just love the way it's written.  You can really get the feel of the place with how he describes the time and places.    Wish there were more like this.  I like the religious side of it particulary so if there are any more about the reformation or around that time then I'd be interested

Totally agree. A friend recommended these to me because he knows I like a good mystery/thriller and I'm a history nut and I love them. Shardlake is a great character and Sansom writes about the period so well that you feel you're there!

I'm glad to see a recommendation for Wolf Hall too. Picked it up a while ago, but haven't got around to starting it yet.

Another Shardlake fan here. So far I've enjoyed Sovereign the most (Book 3) and am about to start Revelation. Well written books which balance the historical detail with the thriller aspects really well and have good characters. I'm often a bit lost in the history aspects since it's been half my life since I studied the Tudors in school.

After finishing the Shardlake series I have Ken Follett's World Without End to read.

(in reply to nomimalone)
Post #: 40
RE: The Historical Fiction thread - 23/6/2011 10:52:13 AM   
chambanzi

Have you read Simon Scarrow's Eagle Series?

(in reply to RobotDevil)
Post #: 41
RE: The Historical Fiction thread - 28/6/2011 3:56:35 PM   
Funkyrae

Yep, all of them. Looking forward to Praetorian.

His Gladiator book was very good too although a bit too adult for young adult. The detail of his mother's rape was a bit much I thought.

That's me that is!

(in reply to chambanzi)
Post #: 42
RE: The Historical Fiction thread - 11/7/2011 8:51:00 PM   
Super Hans

I'm not sure I'm necessarily along the same lines as you guys as far as historical fiction goes but can anyone recommend any WW1 set fiction? I've been reading All Quiet on the Western Front this last week and finding it quite riveting (not sure enjoyable is an appropriate phrase!) so it's kind of whet my appetite for that kind of thing. I think the only other novel with that setting that I've read is Birdsong, which I also really liked, so I'm open to all suggestions!

"Its staring at you in the face Mark, there's only one more sex to try..."

(in reply to Funkyrae)
Post #: 43
RE: The Historical Fiction thread - 11/7/2011 9:57:17 PM   
demoncleaner

quote:

ORIGINAL: Super Hans

I'm not sure I'm necessarily along the same lines as you guys as far as historical fiction goes but can anyone recommend any WW1 set fiction? I've been reading All Quiet on the Western Front this last week and finding it quite riveting (not sure enjoyable is an appropriate phrase!) so it's kind of whet my appetite for that kind of thing. I think the only other novel with that setting that I've read is Birdsong, which I also really liked, so I'm open to all suggestions!

Pat Barker's Regeneration trilogy immediately springs to mind here...although it's chiefly in England the spectre of the War still raging looms very high over it. It makes Birdsong look like a Jeffrey Archer to be honest.

(in reply to Super Hans)
Post #: 44
RE: The Historical Fiction thread - 11/7/2011 10:30:56 PM   
Super Hans

quote:

ORIGINAL: demoncleaner

quote:

Pat Barker's Regeneration trilogy immediately springs to mind here...although it's chiefly in England the spectre of the War still raging looms very high over it. It makes Birdsong look like a Jeffrey Archer to be honest.

I could say the same about All Quiet on the Western Front actually - makes Faulks look quite cheerful! Very good book so far though - I like the fact that the characters are German but they could be either of the nations - for the young men on the frontlines, it was the same horrific shit.

(in reply to demoncleaner)
Post #: 45
RE: The Historical Fiction thread - 12/7/2011 9:07:37 AM   
demoncleaner

quote:

quote:

quote:

I could say the same about All Quiet on the Western Front actually - makes Faulks look quite cheerful! Very good book so far though - I like the fact that the characters are German but they could be either of the nations - for the young men on the frontlines, it was the same horrific shit.

I haven't read it, but am sorely tempted to pick it up next as I just saw the 1930 film last week.  There's a 70's version as well I understand and a 2012 version according to IMDB.  Who is it written by?

(in reply to Super Hans)
Post #: 46
RE: The Historical Fiction thread - 12/7/2011 1:30:06 PM   
Super Hans

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I haven't read it, but am sorely tempted to pick it up next as I just saw the 1930 film last week.  There's a 70's version as well I understand and a 2012 version according to IMDB.  Who is it written by?

It's by Erich Maria Remarque.  Yeah, I saw that there is a version coming out in 2012, although it's odd that there's no details whatsoever on IMDB!  I might have to seek out the 1930 film at some point.

(in reply to demoncleaner)
Post #: 47
RE: The Historical Fiction thread - 17/8/2011 2:45:48 PM   
Lazy wolf eyes

Anyone know of any historical fiction based on the Borgia family worth reading? 

If God had wanted us to walk everywhere he wouldn't have given us Little Chefs.

(in reply to Super Hans)
Post #: 48
RE: The Historical Fiction thread - 18/8/2011 11:08:30 AM   
Funkyrae

Jean Plaidy (while she was still good) wrote a couple about Lucrezia. Showed her in a far more sympathetic light than she was ever really given. Madonna of the Seven Hills followed by Light on Lucrezia.

That's me that is!

(in reply to Lazy wolf eyes)
Post #: 49
RE: The Historical Fiction thread - 18/8/2011 9:04:43 PM   
Lazy wolf eyes

Lovely stuff, thanks Funky. 

(in reply to Funkyrae)
Post #: 50
RE: The Historical Fiction thread - 18/8/2011 10:12:25 PM   
demoncleaner

Then and Now by Somerset Maugham is about Nicollo Machiavelli on a diplomatic mission to treat with ruling war lord Cesare Borgia.  It's less brilliant than it sounds.  It's fairly light and entertaining when Machiavelli is describing the dark art of being a sneaky so and so, but the passages with Borgia are few and fairly slight.  The main focus is a sidelight on Machiavelli trying to seduce a merchant's wife merely for the honing of his mental skills.    

< Message edited by demoncleaner -- 18/8/2011 10:14:17 PM >

Post #: 51
RE: The Historical Fiction thread - 22/8/2011 3:06:17 PM   
Funkyrae

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lazy wolf eyes

Lovely stuff, thanks Funky. 

This one has also been getting some fantastic reviews - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sins-House-Borgia-Sarah-Bower/dp/1402259638

Apparently it was originally released as 'Book of Love'.

I've been taken on as a reviewer for Historical Novel Society (http://www.historicalnovelsociety.org/ ) so should be getting some new and tasty books coming my way as of December.

I'll keep people posted in here of anything juicy I get sent.

That's me that is!

Post #: 52
RE: The Historical Fiction thread - 23/8/2011 12:51:58 PM   
Lazy wolf eyes

Cheers for the info Funky and demoncleaner. 

(in reply to Funkyrae)
Post #: 53
RE: The Historical Fiction thread - 6/12/2011 10:42:38 PM   
Funkyrae

Stupidly small image but in honesty the cover doesn't actually do the book justice anyway.

A Spurious Brood is one of the books I'm reviewing for the HNS. Have to say it didn't grab me at the start but now I'm finding it increasingly difficult to put down. One of those books where you'll read it no matter how much it feels like you've rinsed your eyes in sand.

This is the story of the parents of four children who were on the transport records of The Mayflower. They were recorded as being indentured servants, the oldest was eight years old.

Set in a time when James had taken the throne after the death of Elizabeth and the lack of legal rights a woman had in that period of history, it's absolutely tragic when you read about the mother of these four children.

Certainly one of the best things the HNS have sent me to review and certainly one that I'd recommend.

That's me that is!

Post #: 54
RE: The Historical Fiction thread - 14/4/2012 2:35:29 PM   
Funkyrae

Our very own Russ Whitfield has a couple of books that look interesting.

This one is on its way.

That's me that is!

(in reply to Funkyrae)
Post #: 55
RE: The Historical Fiction thread - 14/4/2012 3:37:01 PM   
MovieAddict247

I'm not a huge fan of historical fiction - some are good, others I cannot stand.

I have no idea whether this counts as historical fiction -it's fiction addressing a historical issue (does that count?). Have any of you guys read Josephine Tey's The Daughter of Time? It's about a current day, bedridden inspector who starts to read about Richard III (and more specifically, The Princes in the Tower), and it's absolutely fascinating - I'd highly recommend it if you're interested in that period.

VOTE NOW for your favourite vocalist - Empire's Favourite Voices

(in reply to Peppermint)
Post #: 56
RE: The Historical Fiction thread - 14/4/2012 4:45:49 PM   
Funkyrae

quote:

I'm not a huge fan of historical fiction - some are good, others I cannot stand.

Doesn't that ring true of all fiction?

Haven't come across that one, sounds interesting though.

That's me that is!

(in reply to MovieAddict247)
Post #: 57
RE: The Historical Fiction thread - 3/5/2012 10:15:32 AM   
Funkyrae

quote:

ORIGINAL: Funkyrae

Our very own Russ Whitfield has a couple of books that look interesting.

This one is on its way.

Blood, guts, gore, lesbian sex. It's no wonder my fiancé is enjoying this.

That's me that is!

(in reply to Funkyrae)
Post #: 58
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> RE: The Historical Fiction thread Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI