Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The Other Guys - 31/8/2010 7:11:25 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
RE: The Other Guys - 14/9/2010 4:19:39 PM   
ElephantBoy

It is nice to see Wahlberg trying his hand at comedy, thought he was funny in Date Night. The rest of the film looks pretty lame, although if Eva Mendes gets a decent size part it might be worth checking out.
Post #: 2
RE: The Other Guys - 14/9/2010 5:21:45 PM   
vad3r

Funniest film of the year. The whole cinema was in stitches.

Single Virgin Mod Candidate 2013

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives
To paraphrase the great man himself:

Vad3r won't go anywhere near this.

(in reply to ElephantBoy)
Post #: 3
RE: The Other Guys - 16/9/2010 11:36:21 AM   
BOHEMIANBOB

quote:

ORIGINAL: superdudeo

Firstly, Talladega Nights is awful - this is much much better and pretty much on the same level as anchorman. How can you place Talladega Nights on the same level as anchorman? Secondly, Empire gave Anchorman 3 stars anyway as the above person states.
The Other Guys is one of the best comedies of the year, everyone was laughing consistently on out viewing. Ignore this review.

Talladega Nights is SUPERB!!!
Help me Oprah Winfrey....

Misunderstood.
Don't care.
Have you seen my stolen signature?!
Post #: 4
RE: The Other Guys - 17/9/2010 6:44:43 PM   
Indio

Thought it was OK but it kind of ran out of steam in the last 20 minutes or so, the jokes dried up and the ending was a more or less average kind of cop film ending. I thought it was the weakest of Ferrell & McKay's four films together, but it still has it moments - "I'm a peacock, let me fly!" and that heart warming duet between Ferrell and Eva Mendes 'Pimps Don't Cry' is surely an early favourite for the Best New Song award at next years Oscars...

'Think about the future.'

(in reply to BOHEMIANBOB)
Post #: 5
RE: The Other Guys - 17/9/2010 7:12:20 PM   
Edward Nygma

Just saw The Other Guys, wasn't quite as good as I expected but it was a lot fun. Some lines are just genius and the idea of Michael Keaton working at Bed Bath and Beyond althewhile peppering his advice with TLC lyrics is simply divine lol

Not really surprised Wahlberg was good in this, he's proven himself to be a very good comedy actor in films like I Heart Huckabees and Date Night and a rather poor dramatic actor otherwise (with some rather dull exceptions I'll concede).

The film does run out of steam in the last half hour unfortunately and the whole thing is pretty hit and miss overall. Having said that, I think it's worth a look. It's got some great bits here and there and...Michael Keaton.

Ben. Affleck.

(in reply to Indio)
Post #: 6
RE: The Other Guys - 17/9/2010 8:45:04 PM   
vad3r

Ferrell just makes everything funny.

Single Virgin Mod Candidate 2013

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives
To paraphrase the great man himself:

Vad3r won't go anywhere near this.

(in reply to Edward Nygma)
Post #: 7
RE: The Other Guys - 18/9/2010 9:21:05 PM   
BOHEMIANBOB

Seen it today.
Oh dear,it is a very weak film.There are some good one-liners,which should be a given for the people involved,but not much else.
The central "plot" was ridiculous,but ridiculous in an unfunny and boring way.
Kudos to Wahlberg,he did the best with the poor material he had.
Coogan is Coogan,dire and miscast.
The film suffers the early loss of the Rock and Jackson and never recovers.Is it a comedy?Is it zany?Is it an action film?
Sadly it's none of these things
2 stars for me.
Is this now the end for Ferrell?

Misunderstood.
Don't care.
Have you seen my stolen signature?!
Post #: 8
RE: The Other Guys - 19/9/2010 9:12:26 PM   
Groovy Mule

I really wanted to like this as the trailer looked funny and I like Mark Wahlberg doing comedy but this is a really confused film which shows that sometimes good improv skills are no match for a good script.  You can see all of the points where McKay has left the camera running as the non-sequiters feel completely out of place.

Will Ferrell shows only flashes of the brilliance which made him such a household name.  Mark Wahlberg is funnier, particularly in his scenes with Eva Mendes however there are few too many in-jokes or jokes with no pay off such as Michael Keaton's son's bisexuality or the TLC lyrics quotes.

What really shows how confused this film is are the end credits which show a raft of statistics about the credit crunch.  It's not a serious film about financial fraud so why try and pretend you've made the fictional version of a Michael Moore documentary.

Confused 4/10

Check out my movie blog - Box Office Challenge and reviews

http://londonmovieguy.wordpress.com/
Post #: 9
RE: The Other Guys - 20/9/2010 10:07:09 AM   
Beno

I found this quite funny as did everyone in my mid morning viewing at Cineworld, which was only 12 people .... but still ... quite funny. The thing is you go to this kind of movie knowing what to expect which should not dissapoint.
The action scenes were great which did surprise and it did drag a bit in the last half hour but overall Empires review of three stars was on the money.
All hot women finding Ferrel attractive? I can empathise

"The one about the space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedalbin. His Father's a robot and he's fucking fucked his Sister. Lego ... They're all made of fucking Lego!!"

(in reply to Groovy Mule)
Post #: 10
RE: The Other Guys - 20/9/2010 7:10:14 PM   
skeletonjack

Some good laughs along the way but not consistently funny enough and far too long to rival the likes of Anchorman for best Ferrel movie.
3 stars is pretty much on the money.

(in reply to Beno)
Post #: 11
RE: okay but fell a little short - 21/9/2010 12:08:00 PM   
superdan

Well, unlike most people on this thread it seems, I thought it was brilliant. Easily the funniest film I've seen since The Hangover. It seemed like the kind of film Starsky and Hutch should have been but wasn't, and all the cast are on rare form. I'll definitely be buying it when it comes out.

Oh, and remember: Pimps don't cry.
Post #: 12
RE: The Other Guys - 22/9/2010 1:21:34 PM   
Jessica_ca_ca_ca

A good giggle, I thought. It doesn't reach the realms of comedy genuis that is Anchorman, however Ferrell and McKay didn't put out something terrible. There were moments that the humour fell flat, yet as a whole it was thoroughly enjoyable. Mark Wahlberg's insane tantrums and Will Ferrell's straight-laced to pimp-mode were brilliant! What sealed the deal for me was Michael Keaton though - I didn't want him to stop quoting TLC

You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling.
Post #: 13
RE: The Other Guys - 22/9/2010 1:27:01 PM   
p_mc

Aim for the Bushes, That is all.

(in reply to Jessica_ca_ca_ca)
Post #: 14
RE: Dear Empire - 29/9/2010 11:13:14 PM   
horribleives

quote:

ORIGINAL: Urban_Achiever

Need I remind you, you gave Anchorman 3 STARS.

Every time I read a review that talks about Anchorman as some sort of holy grail I cant help but remember you weren't too fond of it when it first emerged.

Stop using the film as some sort of landmark in recent comedy standards if your review doesn't reflect this attitude.

This 3 star film was not quite as good as THAT 3 star film. Nice consistency there Empire.

Maybe, just maybe, Anchorman was reviewed by one writer and The Other Guys by someone else.

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.
Post #: 15
RE: - 11/11/2010 5:46:13 PM   
kargon

When oh when will I learn, not to watch Will Ferrel films. The idea was okay and there where a fewlaughs, but overall, shite, I give you the scene in which Mark Wallbergs is sayiong he's a lion and would come after Ferrel in the sea etc , bladdy bladda, pretty obvious Ferrel had something to do with it, same old shit again and again. 1 and a half stars, and that's generous. also what's with the bad use of music throughout

"I SAY WHAT I LIKE AND I LIKE WHAT I BLOODY WELL SAY".

"WHAT THE FUCK DOES ANYTHING HAVE TO DO WITH VIETNAM?"

"YOU BETTER BE PUTTING AWAY THAT BLADE, OR YOU WON'T BELIEVE WHAT HAPPENS NEXT, EVEN WHILE IT'S HAPPENING"

Post #: 16
RE: RE: - 11/11/2010 5:47:37 PM   
kargon

Almost forgot, Coogan was the best thing in this film and he wasn't given much to do, he pisses over Ferrels "comedic" stylings.

"YOU BETTER BE PUTTING AWAY THAT BLADE, OR YOU WON'T BELIEVE WHAT HAPPENS NEXT, EVEN WHILE IT'S HAPPENING"

(in reply to kargon)
Post #: 17
RE: The Other Guys - 11/11/2010 5:50:34 PM   
kargon

quote:

ORIGINAL: BOHEMIANBOB

quote:

ORIGINAL: superdudeo

Firstly, Talladega Nights is awful - this is much much better and pretty much on the same level as anchorman. How can you place Talladega Nights on the same level as anchorman? Secondly, Empire gave Anchorman 3 stars anyway as the above person states.
The Other Guys is one of the best comedies of the year, everyone was laughing consistently on out viewing. Ignore this review.

Talladega Nights is SUPERB!!!
Help me Oprah Winfrey....

Talladega Nights wass pretty shit, i couldn't sit through the entirety, funniest thing in it was the dinner table scene, I'm not a massive Anchorman fan either, funniest thing in that was Jack Black kicking the stuffed dog off the Bridge.

(in reply to BOHEMIANBOB)
Post #: 18
RE: Much Funnier Than Expected - 19/11/2010 10:01:05 AM   
kalvin

It's a superb action & comedy movie. Derek Jeter, Samuel L.Jackson, Eva Mendes are amazing in the other guys movie. I love their characters especially Eva Mendes, she is superb..
Post #: 19
Opinion divided - Possibly a gender thing - 31/1/2011 8:01:27 AM   
ApotheosisX

I thought this had enough charm, light heartedness, fun and some good gags to make it casual viewing, but probably nothing more.

My girlfriend thought it was one of the worst films she's ever seen.

I think that's because her sense of humour is very European, so draw from that what you will.

I personally found it hard not to warm to some extent to a film that depicts a police chief, played by the awesome Michael Keaton, repeating TLC lyrics throughout and claiming no knowledge of the group. Delightfully silly little element to an okay-ish comedy.

(A cop car covered in cocaine is also quite amusing).

There are enough good / silly gags here to keep you watching. My girlfriend was possibly raised a little too close to Germany for anyone's comfort.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 20
The Other Guys - 9/1/2013 6:59:08 PM   
norgizfox

Ferrell and Wahlberg surprising turns out to be the funny cop duo we hardly get anymore. But whats disappointing is that it's unclear what this film was supposed to be (if it was to be other than a comedy) as the script dozes out through it's financial ploy. Nevertheless, fans can be glad that they now have another Ferrell character to put in their hall of fame list. It's also a great comedic start for Wahlberg too.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 21
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> The Other Guys Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI