Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

The Human Project Lives: Children of Men

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> The Human Project Lives: Children of Men Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The Human Project Lives: Children of Men - 31/8/2010 3:44:40 PM   
pete_traynor

For me, without doubt, one of the stand out films of the last 10 years! I’m enamoured by every second of it and having found nothing by searching it, I decided to start a threat in celebration of it. One of the most important and uncomfortably hard hitting films I have seen in many years. Cauron’s direction on this has such confidence and nerve shredding momentum that I felt I had been to war by the time the lights went up. Yes, the car attack tracking shot is absolutely marvellous but it’s the Bexhill battle steady cam shot that stands as one of best I have ever seen. The planning, commitment and skill involved in pulling that off is nothing shot of staggering. The soldier’s reactions to Theo exiting with the baby is a genuinely gentle and touching moment after the utter carnage that precedes and follows it. The whole sequence is almost as devastating as the Omaha Beach landing in Saving Private Ryan. The film also employs and similar war torn, washed out colour scheme to Ryan as well.

From the opening I knew this was to be an uncompromising ride!

And as uncomfortable and worryingly close to actual events as it is, it is good to see directors use Britain for such dystopian and morose visual effect. It’s ‘nice’ to see it depicted so unsettling and grim, as it is in the likes of Children of Men and Eastern Promises for example, as apposed to the sickly sweet Curtis like Britain that shows up in films all too often.

Anyway, I absolutely adore the film. And if you do too… get involved.

EXTREMELY LIMITED 1/1 FILM DIRECTOR HAND DRAWN ORIGINALS COMING SOON - http://lomierart.blogspot.co.uk/
Post #: 1
RE: The Human Project Lives: Children of Men - 31/8/2010 4:07:04 PM   
Rgirvan44

Ah, but is it British?

*runs away*

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to pete_traynor)
Post #: 2
RE: The Human Project Lives: Children of Men - 31/8/2010 4:10:46 PM   
pete_traynor

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

Ah, but is it British?

*runs away*

I don't know, is it? You tell me, as I didn't say it was.

< Message edited by pete_traynor -- 31/8/2010 4:20:56 PM >

EXTREMELY LIMITED 1/1 FILM DIRECTOR HAND DRAWN ORIGINALS COMING SOON - http://lomierart.blogspot.co.uk/

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 3
RE: The Human Project Lives: Children of Men - 31/8/2010 5:42:38 PM   
DaveTheStampede

quote:

The soldier’s reactions to Theo exiting with the baby is a genuinely gentle and touching moment after the utter carnage that precedes and follows it.

That is quite possibly the most... I don't know, stunning moment, I suppose, that I have ever seen.  Silence save for the baby's cry, the small glimmer of hope it has kindled, soldiers so willing to massacre innocent civilians looking on in wonder, some crossing themselves and praying their thanks... then *BAM*, a rebel fires off a rocket, the spell is broken, and it all kicks off again.

But yes, this is a great film, and I share the adoration.

Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two make four.
If that is granted, all else follows

(in reply to pete_traynor)
Post #: 4
RE: The Human Project Lives: Children of Men - 31/8/2010 7:50:28 PM   
MarcE

I really liked the first half, I think it died off a little bit towards the end. Still enjoyable though. Makes you think.

(in reply to DaveTheStampede)
Post #: 5
RE: The Human Project Lives: Children of Men - 31/8/2010 8:04:59 PM   
Deviation

It is an outstanding film. 

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to MarcE)
Post #: 6
RE: The Human Project Lives: Children of Men - 31/8/2010 9:32:26 PM   
DAVID GILLESPIE

I thought this was gripping from start to finish. The action effect when Owen kicks the car door off the passing biker is breathtaking.

Cludge Judge * Cold Fish

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 7
RE: The Human Project Lives: Children of Men - 31/8/2010 10:33:02 PM   
simonmckergan1

Love this film.  Has anyone read the book by P.D James?

As you can see, my young apprentice, your friends have failed. Now witness the firepower of this fully ARMED and OPERATIONAL battle station!

(in reply to DAVID GILLESPIE)
Post #: 8
RE: The Human Project Lives: Children of Men - 31/8/2010 11:57:54 PM   
BOHEMIANBOB

A great, gripping film.Outstanding performance by the man who should be Bond.

Misunderstood.
Don't care.
Have you seen my stolen signature?!

(in reply to simonmckergan1)
Post #: 9
RE: The Human Project Lives: Children of Men - 1/9/2010 12:00:07 AM   
homersimpson_esq

Brilliant British film.

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to BOHEMIANBOB)
Post #: 10
RE: The Human Project Lives: Children of Men - 1/9/2010 8:24:01 AM   
theieuan

Brilliant film. The action scenes are incredible and certainly some of the best I've seen for a long while. Very under-rated film and would recommend it to anybody.

You know, this place makes me wonder...Which would be worse, to live as a monster or die as a good man?

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 11
RE: The Human Project Lives: Children of Men - 1/9/2010 9:11:17 AM   
crimond

quote:

ORIGINAL: simonmckergan1

Love this film.  Has anyone read the book by P.D James?

I have read the book a couple of times and its one of the few occasions where the film is far superior to the book.  Although the book is good, it suffers from a very unlikeable lead character.  The film imo improves on almost every aspect of the book.
As has been mentioned the scene where the baby starts to cry is amazing, everyone getting out of their hiding places to look despite the risk.  I didn't even like Clive Owen before this film.

(in reply to simonmckergan1)
Post #: 12
RE: The Human Project Lives: Children of Men - 1/9/2010 7:46:53 PM   
dj vivace

Without a doubt one of the best films of the last ten years. Incredible!

you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you!

See more of my reviews here under the name Matt Wavish :
Horror Cult Film Reviews

(in reply to crimond)
Post #: 13
RE: The Human Project Lives: Children of Men - 6/9/2010 9:39:34 AM   
jobloffski

Though I find Caine ridiculously unconvincing in the is film, it's not a deal breaker.

And it is quite correct that the silence, save for the sound of a crying baby is a stunning moment.

The sound of a child crying can be the most irritating, nerve jangling sound in the world. It takes a moment of sheer poetic genius to turn that around so it becomes the most heartbreakingly beautiful thing you'll ever hear. The sound of humanity itself.

Yes, dreamers dream and doers do. But if dreamers DON'T dream, doers don't have anything TO do. Everything that is only here because people exist, only exists because someone thought of it., or in other words, dreamed it.

(in reply to dj vivace)
Post #: 14
RE: The Human Project Lives: Children of Men - 6/9/2010 8:13:31 PM   
hampstead bandit

f*cking amazing film

if you have not yet seen this, and have a HD Blu-Ray setup, buy it now, and be prepared for a mind blowing viewing experience

it looks so real and gritty, a fantastic cast and gripping story, the set pieces are stunning (especially the final battle in the asylum camp)

highly recommended 5/5 for sure!

(in reply to jobloffski)
Post #: 15
RE: The Human Project Lives: Children of Men - 7/9/2010 12:19:01 PM   
pete_traynor

quote:

ORIGINAL: hampstead bandit

f*cking amazing film

if you have not yet seen this, and have a HD Blu-Ray setup, buy it now, and be prepared for a mind blowing viewing experience

it looks so real and gritty, a fantastic cast and gripping story, the set pieces are stunning (especially the final battle in the asylum camp)

highly recommended 5/5 for sure!

It's stunning in HD! Imported it a few years ago when it was only available in Norway on Blu Ray!?  No extras on that edition and it cost me about £33! Worth every penny.  It's now widely available and on play.com's 2 for £18 I believe! Oh well, no regrets eh

One of my favourite Blu Ray tranfers to this day.

The film is utterly stunning. All time great! And in terms of dystopian cinema, it pips Bladerunner for me. Maybe that’s one for the ‘Your Unpopular Opinion’ thread though…

< Message edited by pete_traynor -- 7/9/2010 12:22:49 PM >

(in reply to hampstead bandit)
Post #: 16
RE: The Human Project Lives: Children of Men - 8/9/2010 12:02:29 AM   
BOHEMIANBOB

quote:

ORIGINAL: jobloffski

Though I find Caine ridiculously unconvincing in the is film, it's not a deal breaker.

And it is quite correct that the silence, save for the sound of a crying baby is a stunning moment.

The sound of a child crying can be the most irritating, nerve jangling sound in the world. It takes a moment of sheer poetic genius to turn that around so it becomes the most heartbreakingly beautiful thing you'll ever hear. The sound of humanity itself.

Spot on,that is an excellent piece of analysis.
And again,a bloody great film!

Misunderstood.
Don't care.
Have you seen my stolen signature?!

(in reply to jobloffski)
Post #: 17
RE: The Human Project Lives: Children of Men - 24/11/2012 11:30:37 PM   
Judge

just finished watching it again, absolutely exceptional. *Cliche warning* genuinely gets better with every viewing. *Cliche warning over*

< Message edited by Judge -- 24/11/2012 11:33:48 PM >

(in reply to BOHEMIANBOB)
Post #: 18
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> The Human Project Lives: Children of Men Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI