Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Jonah Hex - 31/8/2010 11:13:25 AM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
RE: Forgetable - 1/9/2010 9:00:34 PM   
MarcE

Thats a shame, I thought the initial posters looked good. Still, I'll wait to see how it fairs on IMDB.
Post #: 2
RE: Forgetable - 10/9/2010 10:06:13 AM   
Wild about Wilder

Not as bad as reported but must say it was deffinatley mucked about with in editing how they thought they get the back story such as there was & the storyline in to 81 mins god only knows

(in reply to MarcE)
Post #: 3
RE: Pig awful, clumsy, ugly & pointless - 5/10/2010 11:10:02 PM   
oui3d

No, really, It Is as bad as reported. Possibly worse,

Nothing to with studio interference here. There's just a cack-handed, nonsensical film that leaves you indifferent almost before the titles have run.
If a film is made 3 times, once on paper, once on set and once in the edit then there was never a film to begin with. The script had to have been awful. On set the director probably thought he could use the comic as a storyboard. (News for you, doesn't work, making a film is an active process)
So by the time you get to the edit, what you have on your hands is an utter disaster. There really is nothing to redeem this film, I'd have cut a trailer, burnt the rushes and claimed on the insurance. There's not the coverage for a 70 minute film so there's been obvious reshoots, parts of the film are told twice. (still didn't care) and the pacing is just.... blehh... No sense of narrative direction, no urgency, no character development, no style, nothing. Essentially it's like a 5 year old telling a story, there's an unconnected string of events and then the bad guy dies.. THE END.

Not only does it play badly it looks awful too, the cinematography is a mess ranging from general inconsistency shot to shot; to too dark night / interior scenes; to insane colour timing choices (and i don't mean the imaginary battle either) I mean the crap vignette effect on the opening or what may become the 21st century's Cybill Sheperd / Star Trek Bird filter. This is a strange blur that is added to the skin of (the eternally Red & Sweaty, not my words, but true) Megan Fox's face which gives her the appearance of a ambulating, botoxed mannequin. really how bad does an actresses skin have to be that they can't track out a few spots. (Unless she has a beard?)

Looks like everyone involved realised they had a lemon on their hands an figured they'd cut their losses. Not watching this film is the best thing you can do. I'm going to wait until Red Read Redemption Undead Nightmare to get my cowboy/undead scares and pretend Jonah Hex never existed.

0/5 stars and a punch in the bollocks for wasting my time.

No French, German, Spanish or Scandinavian film company is allowed to release a film in America. No British film company is allowed to release a film in America. And yet we allow America 100% access to our domestic market.

The best Star Wars film was directed by a 55 year old journeyman. Mental isn't it?

(in reply to Wild about Wilder)
Post #: 4
RE: - 27/10/2010 7:27:28 PM   
Frank Castle

After what i had heard about this film i was expecting so little but what a surprise i got when i actually quite enjoyed it in places. the film overall is just a mess i'll be honest there. but brolin adds to the movie and it does have a sense of fun about it. It tries so hard to be a great movie but just can't do it with its 1hr 20 mins. isnt that tv movie length? i know we moan that films are to long but wow thats just way to short for an origin movie.
The potential with the character is there but they have blown it here by trying to fit a pg market, they should have gone all out ott violence imo.throw in an extra 20mins of time and they could quite easily ironed out the cracks.
megan fox is ideally cast as a whore(what else can she play)by the way.

" guys its ok, he just wanted his machette back"!!
Post #: 5
- 15/1/2011 12:18:17 AM   
chrisdagnall

NOT AS BAD AS THE REVIEW SUGGESTS, BUT STILL PRETTY MUDDLED AND CONFUSED.....AVERAGE.......

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 6
New Definition of Bad!? - 24/3/2011 2:25:37 AM   
DMeister

Utterly misguided, badly acted, badly edited, badly paced with absolutly nothing to recommend. John Malkovich is impressively terrible.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 7
RE: New Definition of Bad!? - 2/5/2011 11:32:00 PM   
KeithM

Jonah Hex

40 minutes.

That's all I could take.

0/10

(in reply to DMeister)
Post #: 8
RE: New Definition of Bad!? - 27/7/2013 1:31:05 PM   
sanchia

By crikey, I do not think bad is a big enough word to encompass just how awful this is. I knew that Megan Fox was a poor actress but here we see new levels of scraping the acting barrel and what happened to John Malkovich's career that he ends up in dross of this type? The plot is risible and so thin they even have to throw in dream sequence fighting in order to pad out the slight (thankfully) running time. If you have a choice between contracting a painful social disease through non pleasant means or watching this film go for the former as it is the better option.

< Message edited by sanchia -- 27/7/2013 1:32:00 PM >

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to KeithM)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Jonah Hex Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI