Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Piles' Top 100 French Films - #100 now online!

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> Piles' Top 100 French Films - #100 now online! Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Piles' Top 100 French Films - #100 now online! - 30/8/2010 10:10:32 PM   
Piles

So, I wanted to do a list to pass some time and decided to go for a little more specific topic and something I hadn't exactly done before. I started compiling a list of French films I really liked and got to a hundred, so I figured that was a nice and round enough number to start this with. It'll probably get going around Wednesday, I expect. Hope you lot enjoy!

< Message edited by Piles -- 31/8/2010 9:52:16 PM >

Top 100 Moz Songs / Top 100 Films
Post #: 1
RE: Piles' Top 100 French Films - 30/8/2010 10:21:13 PM   
hiptobesquare_x

I am eagerly, well moderately eagerly, awaiting this.

"I hate coconut. Not the flavour, but the consistency."

(in reply to Piles)
Post #: 2
RE: Piles' Top 100 French Films - 30/8/2010 10:49:42 PM   
elab49

These things come in 3s - who's up next?

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to hiptobesquare_x)
Post #: 3
RE: Piles' Top 100 French Films - 30/8/2010 10:55:07 PM   
Piles

Homer is going to do a list of 100 stupid comments. He just did #100 in the Sokurov thread. I don't know how he's going to top it.

< Message edited by Piles -- 31/8/2010 8:24:06 AM >

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 4
RE: Piles' Top 100 French Films - 31/8/2010 3:12:00 AM   
The Bicycle Thief

There are 100? This should be illuminating. 

< Message edited by The Bicycle Thief -- 31/8/2010 3:13:25 AM >

(in reply to Piles)
Post #: 5
RE: Piles' Top 100 French Films - 31/8/2010 4:23:49 AM   
rawlinson

Looking forward to this. 

(in reply to The Bicycle Thief)
Post #: 6
RE: Piles' Top 100 French Films - 31/8/2010 9:35:28 AM   
elab49

Well, there's Rohmer's entire filmography and then a few others added in I guess

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 7
RE: Piles' Top 100 French Films - 31/8/2010 9:40:05 AM   
rawlinson

I'm guessing it's one French list where Amelie won't be number one though. 

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 8
RE: Piles' Top 100 French Films - 31/8/2010 5:49:50 PM   
Piles

Yeah, I like Amelie and used to love it, but my opinion on what makes a film great has changed drastically since then.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 9
RE: Piles' Top 100 French Films - 31/8/2010 6:09:38 PM   
BlueBalls

Ah, I need to buck up on my French cinema. This thread may turn out to be very useful.

I'm looking forward to it.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation
I declare undying love to BlueBalls.

(in reply to Piles)
Post #: 10
RE: Piles' Top 100 French Films - 31/8/2010 6:11:57 PM   
Rhubarb

quote:

ORIGINAL: Piles

Yeah, I like Amelie and used to love it, but my opinion on what makes a film great has changed drastically since then.

Pretention?

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

ORIGINAL: FritzlFan

You organisational skills sicken me, Rhubarb.

(in reply to Piles)
Post #: 11
RE: Piles' Top 100 French Films - 31/8/2010 6:34:04 PM   
Piles

Pretentious? Moi?

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 12
RE: Piles' Top 100 French Films - 31/8/2010 6:37:56 PM   
Rhubarb

Oui et clichéd.

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

(in reply to Piles)
Post #: 13
RE: Piles' Top 100 French Films - 31/8/2010 6:52:20 PM   
Ultimo Lee

Should be interesting

quote:

So the inevitable question that you should face before doing a top 100

WHAT MAKES A GREAT FILM?

(in reply to Piles)
Post #: 14
RE: Piles' Top 100 French Films - 31/8/2010 7:10:40 PM   
Rhubarb

Whether you like it.

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

(in reply to Ultimo Lee)
Post #: 15
RE: Piles' Top 100 French Films - 31/8/2010 9:39:39 PM   
Piles

#100.
A PROPHET
(2009, Jacques Audiard)

One thing never strayed too far from my mind when I was watching Audiard’s critically acclaimed film, “Un Prophete”. Despite its wins at Cannes (the film took home the Grand Prix), and the fact that it is France’s official selection, it wasn’t the best French film I saw last year. That title, undoubtedly, goes to “35 Shots of Rum”, Claire Denis’ sublime Ozu-esque look at family life in modern France. However, it’s not hard to decipher why “Un Prophete”, the fifth film from Audiard, son of revered director and screenwriter Michael, has been chosen above “35 Shots” to be France’s competition film at the Oscars. It’s much more Academy friendly; faster paced, more epic, with a clearly defined lead character, and one plot strand that extends itself over all others. Yes, it was a wise decision from the French film committee to choose “Un Prophete”, because – unfortunately for Denis – it had much more of a chance of winning. Obviously, though, that didn’t go to plan for Audiard, so let’s move on…

“Un Prophete” is doubtlessly a film that will rivet a wider audience than the aforementioned Claire Denis film, simply because it has a fine story, with a great central performance, and impressive set pieces. It is a thriller where the thrills come, mostly, in the form of words rather than actions, and that is certainly a refreshing change. For a film that sits just the other side of a two and a half hour runtime, this is a bold move, but one that certainly pays off. Audiard’s film is concerned, mostly, with relationships rather than bullets. El Djebena begins to climb up the ladder by making connections, doing as he’s told, never rubbing too many people up the wrong way, and going about his own business. It’s an intelligent plot device; we’ve all seen prison dramas with fist fights (“the Escapist”) or gang rape (“American History X”, “the Shawshank Redemption”), but it feels somewhat fresh and original to see a film concerned primarily with in-prison politics.

And these politics are concerned with traits just as important – or existent, rather - on the outside as they are the inside; propaganda, prestige, racial purity, etc. Brawn rarely comes into it, and although we are treated to the obligatory man-on-man forced sexual encounter, “Un Prophete” is a war of minds and words, with all of these things playing their roles to create kings and jesters, princes and paupers. And that, I guess, is why “Un Prophete” has been so successful amongst critics and on the festival circuit; because it takes an old (sub)genre and turns it into a somewhat original film. However, there are certain things that even Audiard can’t escape; the aforementioned forced sex which – by now – seems a necessity in the prison film subgenre and has thus lost all of its impact, the silly masturbation scene which is neither funny nor worthwhile on the character progression front, and the ending, where machismo finally seems to seep through the otherwise well measured and maintained seams.

These flaws, though, are few and far between, and it is indeed important to note that “Un Prophete” remains an entertaining experience from beginning to end. It is nice to see a film this entertaining that includes a little bit of social commentary, but the main reason why you should go and see it is because it will rivet and entertain you from beginning to end. The prison is fantastically envisioned; imposing and dominating over a group of lost souls who, for the most part, meander between its walls with no purpose or drive. Most of the characters are well formed, particularly Niels Arestrump’s Cesar Luciani, who manages to escape the shackles and conventions of the modern day crime lord to become a character in his own right. He’s a manipulative presence, and one who gives you just enough to keep you close, but takes away just enough to let you know who is boss. And then there’s El Djebena, mercilessly played by Tahar Rahim, who is an intelligent and sympathetic protagonist who plays his cards so close to his chest, not even the audience can see what he’s doing half of the time. The performance of Rahim is certainly worth marvelling at. The best scenes of the film see him alone, in his cell, either talking to a dead man, practicing producing a razor blade from his mouth, or simply eating his dinner, alone, in despair. Rahim manages wonderfully in a role that requires him to be on screen for over ninety per cent of the one hundred and fifty minute runtime, and the performance is so well measured that the progression of El Djebena from a meek, lonely ‘new guy’ into a formidable player with his own network of contacts is a joy to watch.

“Un Prophete” is an exquisitely directed, well performed film that, whilst never managing to fully escape the accepted set of clichés associated with the prison movie subgenre, does manage to find originality in otherwise stale territory. The startlingly good central performance is the main hook, and Rahim deserved recognition in the Best Actor category at the Oscars for sure. It’s still not as good as “35 Shots of Rum”, though.

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 16
RE: Piles' Top 100 French Films - 31/8/2010 9:51:47 PM   
elab49

OMG - it's not New Wave and it's not Rohmer generally and ....and..... and.... it's one I actually like!

In fact, almost perfect apart from saying 35 Shots was better.

What other Audiard have you seen?

quote:

(in reply to Piles)
Post #: 17
RE: Piles' Top 100 French Films - 31/8/2010 9:54:12 PM   
Piles

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

Shamefully, none, except for the bits of The Beat That My Heart Skipped (and I've heard the Dan Le Sac song of the same title ). I once got pwnd by a french girl outside a pub who told me Godard has been dead since 1967 and that I sucked for not seeing enough Audiard. My friends laughed. It was brutal.

And 35 Shots of Rum IS clearly better . More on that later though!

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 18
RE: Piles' Top 100 French Films - 31/8/2010 9:54:26 PM   
hiptobesquare_x

Nice review of a very good film, though I do prefer The Beat That My Heart Skipped (I think it's the concert pianist thing).

"I hate coconut. Not the flavour, but the consistency."

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 19
RE: Piles' Top 100 French Films - 31/8/2010 9:58:29 PM   
elab49

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

Shamefully, none, except for the bits of The Beat That My Heart Skipped (and I've heard the Dan Le Sac song of the same title ). I once got pwnd by a french girl outside a pub who told me Godard has been dead since 1967 and that I sucked for not seeing enough Audiard. My friends laughed. It was brutal.

And 35 Shots of Rum IS clearly better . More on that later though!

You should have told her she was almost right and that Godard was never born.

I'm more of a fan of Read My Lips - something that proves something often rare for directors who focus on such strong male characters, that Audiard is equally comfortable writing a strong female one. Beat is brilliant though. And Self-Made Hero.

quote:

(in reply to Piles)
Post #: 20
RE: Piles' Top 100 French Films - 31/8/2010 11:14:30 PM   
ElephantBoy

I too really rate Read My Lips as well as TBTMHS.

Very good first review Piles.  It is a very raw, gritty and orangnal take on the prison thriller.  Although in some ways I must have been watching a different film from you as I don't remember it being very entertaining, rather grim from what I recall
Still to see 35 Shots Of Rum so can't comment on which is better.

Looking forward to the rest of the list as I myself have gone on somewhat of a French birge in recent months.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 21
RE: Piles' Top 100 French Films - 1/9/2010 2:23:00 AM   
rawlinson

Very good start to the list. And the French girl was wrong about Godard, obviously.

(in reply to ElephantBoy)
Post #: 22
RE: Piles' Top 100 French Films - 1/9/2010 8:50:47 AM   
Piles

quote:

ORIGINAL: ElephantBoy

I too really rate Read My Lips as well as TBTMHS.

Very good first review Piles.  It is a very raw, gritty and orangnal take on the prison thriller.  Although in some ways I must have been watching a different film from you as I don't remember it being very entertaining, rather grim from what I recall
Still to see 35 Shots Of Rum so can't comment on which is better.

Looking forward to the rest of the list as I myself have gone on somewhat of a French birge in recent months.

Yeah I didn't mean entertaining in a laugh riot kind of way, more of a riveting, more-centric-on-narrative kind of way, if you know what I mean.

Thanks for the comment.

(in reply to ElephantBoy)
Post #: 23
RE: Piles' Top 100 French Films - 1/9/2010 10:20:02 AM   
Gram123

I haven't gotten round to watching A Prophet yet, so I'm bypassing your first review...

Btw, what's the film in the thread's introductory image with the maneki neko cats in it?

Gram123's Top Songs Project

(in reply to Piles)
Post #: 24
RE: Piles' Top 100 French Films - 1/9/2010 10:27:49 AM   
Miles Messervy 007

Sans Soleil

quote:

jamesbondguy:
Miles is clearly the finest film theorist of his generation

quote:

Deviation:
if it isn't ham, I'll eat a living pig.

(in reply to Gram123)
Post #: 25
RE: Piles' Top 100 French Films - 1/9/2010 10:36:29 AM   
Gram123

Ah, ta, Miles.
It's something I'd heard the title of but had never previously investigated, and after a brief search, it sounds like an interesting watch. True to form, all it takes for something to pique my interest is to add a dash of East Asian-ness....

Gram123's Top Songs Project

(in reply to Miles Messervy 007)
Post #: 26
RE: Piles' Top 100 French Films - 1/9/2010 1:28:23 PM   
homersimpson_esq

quote:

Homer is going to do a list of 100 stupid comments. He just did #100 in the Sokurov thread. I don't know how he's going to top it.

You're incorrigible.

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to Piles)
Post #: 27
RE: Piles' Top 100 French Films - 1/9/2010 1:34:42 PM   
Pigeon Army

quote:

ORIGINAL: homersimpson_esq

quote:

You're incorrigible.

Incorrigle?
He doesn't know the meaning of the word.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rinc
She's supposed to be 13! I'd want her to be very attractive though

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat
quote:

ORIGINAL: Pigeon Army
Stop being mean to Deviation

No.

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 28
RE: Piles' Top 100 French Films - 1/9/2010 2:18:30 PM   
homersimpson_esq

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pigeon Army

quote:

ORIGINAL: homersimpson_esq

quote:

You're incorrigible.

Incorrigle?
He doesn't know the meaning of the word.

He really doesn't.

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to Pigeon Army)
Post #: 29
RE: Piles' Top 100 French Films - 2/9/2010 11:55:31 AM   
paul_ie86

Good start to the list. First foreign film I saw in the cinema.

And 35 Shots of Rum is better.

My Group Project's facebook page. Please like

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> Piles' Top 100 French Films - #100 now online! Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI