Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Tom Hardy

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Actors And Auteurs >> Tom Hardy Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Tom Hardy - 17/8/2010 9:49:46 AM   
Sway

So, this was fairly inevitable for those who know me.  I'm pretty much obsessed with Mr Hardy at the moment, not just because I think he's indescribably hot, but also because I think he's immensely talented.  

Nothing shows this more than Bronson, which for me, out of all of his films I've seen is without doubt his best performance.  I can't believe how much he was overlooked for awards for this.   Because it really is a theatrical performance.  Some of the scenes left me with my mouth ajar for the sheer brilliance - his (Bronson's) theatrical narration of his own story is amazing and Hardy really gives the impression from this film that he's simply not scared to try anything.  In Bronson more than anything else he shows he has an intense energy and is utterly charismatic.  Some actors could only dream of turning in such a performance once in their lives and never get there.  Hardy's achieved it relatively early in his acting career and yet I get the feeling this won't be a one-off.

I have to admit that despite being aware of him from previous films, the role that made me notice him properly for the first time was as Handsome Bob from RocknRolla - a film I personally love but I know the majority of people hate.  I just felt very aware watching it for the first time that this young actor was comfortably able to hold his own amongst fairly established actors and remain a memorable character despite being a general bit player.  There's something so effortless about his acting without it being lazy.  I get the feeling he's quite comfortable with what he does and is completely self assured which pays off. 

And let's not forget that one of his initial acting roles was as Private Janovec (gettin' some!) in two episodes of Band of Brothers - a minor role but one in the Holy Grail of tv series no less! That's gotta be a great conversation starter at dinner parties.....

And despite my personal dislike of Black Hawk Down, it's clear Hardy has kept himself within the radar of several major directors, landing him parts that have certainly done no damage to his rising career.

There are still a few films of his I've yet to see, such as Layer Cake, or even his performance in the tv series The Take which I've been told he's brilliant in, but at the moment I'm more excited about his future films including Mad Max which I think he might just be perfect for.  Having seen him in several interviews and watched a number of his films I can't help thinking Tom has a raw and slightly unhinged quality that makes him perfect for roles like Mad Max.

Of course, the reason most people are talking about him at the moment is due to his part in Inception as the loveable 'rogue' Eames.   And while I concur his character is likeable and his performance flawless, I'm not quite sure why people have chosen this role to single him out (asides from the fact it's reached a wider audience) because his performance as Bronson blows Eames right out of the water!  Personally, I felt Inception was carried brilliantly by all and wasn't too convinced by this idea that Eames steals every scene he's in simply because of a couple of quips here or there.  Don't get me wrong, as a crazy obsessed fan I couldn't take my eyes of Hardy every time he was onscreen, but I find the adoration for his character in this film a little disproportionate.  However, that's only my personal view and it's certainly not an attempt to discredit him at all.  Infact I'm very much looking forward to a second viewing in no small part due to him, and if this role is what it takes for more people to become aware of this immensely talented young chap then so be it.

We'll see you all in the queue for Mad Max.

"I am not in danger, Skyler. I AM the danger! A guy opens his door and gets shot and you think that of me? No. I am the one who knocks!"

Post #: 1
RE: Tom Hardy - 17/8/2010 10:29:27 AM   
tftrman

He was even okay in the very shitty Star Trek: Nemesis

(in reply to Sway)
Post #: 2
RE: Tom Hardy - 19/8/2010 5:20:08 PM   
ElephantBoy

Overrated from what I have seen so far.  He was decent in Bronson, but only really showed one side to the character and did ham it up too much by the end.  A friend of mine says he was totally wrong for the part he played recently in Weathering Heights, and he was one of the blander performances in Inception.

(in reply to tftrman)
Post #: 3
RE: Tom Hardy - 19/8/2010 8:04:18 PM   
elab49

He does seem to have given the most regularly noted of the performances in Inception - he was clearly the best in the film IMO. The Wuthering Heights was terrible, but he was far from the only problem. I think the best thing I've seen him in is Stuart A Life Backwards.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to ElephantBoy)
Post #: 4
RE: Tom Hardy - 20/8/2010 12:45:25 PM   
ElephantBoy

So you think Hardy was better than Dicaprio, Cotillard and Gorden-Levitt who were all outstanding in Inception.  What film were you watching!  He just played his part like a cliche posh english bloke like a cross between James Bond and Michael Cane.  Like Ellen Page he was guilty of not emersing himself in the world of the film.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 5
RE: Tom Hardy - 20/8/2010 9:04:33 PM   
Sway

quote:

ORIGINAL: ElephantBoy

So you think Hardy was better than Dicaprio, Cotillard and Gorden-Levitt who were all outstanding in Inception.  What film were you watching!  He just played his part like a cliche posh english bloke like a cross between James Bond and Michael Cane.  Like Ellen Page he was guilty of not emersing himself in the world of the film.

Hmm, while in my original post I essentially say the same thing - I think he was great in the film, just not necessarily better than the others - I definitely don't agree that he didn't immerse himself in the film.  You do appear to have a problem with Hardy for whatever reason, and that's fine, he's not going to be everybody's cup of tea, but he's a very talented actor and I personally think your last line is nonsense!

"I am not in danger, Skyler. I AM the danger! A guy opens his door and gets shot and you think that of me? No. I am the one who knocks!"

Post #: 6
RE: Tom Hardy - 20/8/2010 9:18:27 PM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: ElephantBoy

So you think Hardy was better than Dicaprio, Cotillard and Gorden-Levitt who were all outstanding in Inception.  What film were you watching!  He just played his part like a cliche posh english bloke like a cross between James Bond and Michael Cane. 

The latter is actually an unusual role for Hardy.

And yes - I think he was much better than those three, with only Gordon-Levitt coming close, but only really when sparking off Hardy.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Post #: 7
RE: Tom Hardy - 20/8/2010 9:44:50 PM   
ElephantBoy

Can not agree with that, Cotilard actally stole the film for me, in what really was quite a small part [as far as screen time], she dominated, making you care about the character while always being scary and having true menace.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 8
RE: Tom Hardy - 20/8/2010 9:49:47 PM   
BOHEMIANBOB

Hardy the best thing in Inception??

Misunderstood.
Don't care.
Have you seen my stolen signature?!

Post #: 9
RE: Tom Hardy - 20/8/2010 9:53:03 PM   
ElephantBoy

Me and you against the world my friend.

< Message edited by ElephantBoy -- 20/8/2010 9:54:56 PM >

(in reply to BOHEMIANBOB)
Post #: 10
RE: Tom Hardy - 20/8/2010 10:57:53 PM   
BOHEMIANBOB

And it's a very lonely world in here sometimes
I also agree about Coltiard-what an actress-Nolan knew the quality he was getting from such a small screen role-immense!

Misunderstood.
Don't care.

Post #: 11
RE: Tom Hardy - 21/8/2010 11:04:27 AM   
Sway

quote:

ORIGINAL: BOHEMIANBOB

I also agree about Coltiard-what an actress-Nolan knew the quality he was getting from such a small screen role-immense!

Well this is a thread about Hardy, so shoo! Go on, scram! Get outta here! First you follow me round like my conscience, now you're angling for a fight....

Ok, you're not, but I am!

Post #: 12
RE: Tom Hardy - 21/8/2010 10:20:17 PM   
BOHEMIANBOB

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sway

quote:

Well this is a thread about Hardy, so shoo! Go on, scram! Get outta here! First you follow me round like my conscience, now you're angling for a fight....

Jeepers
You considered him the best thing in Inception,i was merely agreeing with someone else who mentioned another performance in the same film!
Hardy is evolvong as an actor,i think he needs a breakthrough role like Fassbender in Hunger to move up in the film game.

Misunderstood.
Don't care.

(in reply to Sway)
Post #: 13
RE: Tom Hardy - 22/8/2010 2:37:33 AM   
Sway

quote:

quote:

quote:

Jeepers
You considered him the best thing in Inception,i was merely agreeing with someone else who mentioned another performance in the same film!
Hardy is evolvong as an actor,i think he needs a breakthrough role like Fassbender in Hunger to move up in the film game.

I keed, I keed, chill, my main man!

Actually though, I certainly did not regard him as the best thing in Inception, tsk! Re-read my original post and the section on Inception.  I specifically said I don't get why people are heaping on the praise for that role in particular - I liked his character but he wasn't the best thing in the whole film! Homework boy! Always make sure you've done your homework before throwing wild accusations about.

Hardy is an evolving actor, but have you seen Bronson? That was a breakthrough role, trust me. 

Post #: 14
RE: Tom Hardy - 22/8/2010 10:25:15 AM   
BOHEMIANBOB

my bad,twas Elab-but in my defence you agreed with himsort of!)

Misunderstood.
Don't care.

(in reply to Sway)
Post #: 15
RE: Tom Hardy - 22/8/2010 12:58:13 PM   
Sway

quote:

my bad,twas Elab-but in my defence you agreed with himsort of!)

Oh my! Elab is a laydee doncha know?

Ha, I've re-read my posts and I contest that statement! I definitely said that Hardy was great in his role in Inception, and I think he did immerse himself fully into the film (which was counteracting Elephant Boy's point), but I still have never said he was the best thing in the film! So...... 

Post #: 16
RE: Tom Hardy - 22/8/2010 2:46:51 PM   
sanchia

quote:

Hardy is an evolving actor, but have you seen Bronson? That was a breakthrough role, trust me. 

I think the problem was that the film pretty much vanished without making many ripples (other than the odd comment of disgust in the red tops).

He was decent enough in Inception playing the role in a workman type manner. Nothing outstanding but a decent performance.

I must admit that I have seen a lot of the films he has been in and recognise him but could not have named him.

< Message edited by sanchia -- 22/8/2010 2:48:30 PM >

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to Sway)
Post #: 17
RE: Tom Hardy - 22/8/2010 5:24:58 PM   
Sway

quote:

ORIGINAL: sanchia

quote:

I think the problem was that the film pretty much vanished without making many ripples (other than the odd comment of disgust in the red tops).

Oh I totally agree there, it's been criminally overlooked which is why any chance I get I bang on about it.  But just because it reached a smaller audience than it should have (just my opinion), I don't think it's gone unnoticed by those in the business.  I suspect various directors will have their eye on him for future projects. 

I think he's a brilliant actor and I think it's just going to take a little time and more roles in big budget films for others to feel the same way.  Which is a shame, really.  I hope he continues to do films he personally feels some kind of affinity to rather than taking on anything.

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 18
RE: Tom Hardy - 22/8/2010 7:54:07 PM   
sanchia

I would definitely say he does appear to be a rising figure. His role in what is turning out to be one of the biggest films of the year will cement that as will the fact that he could wear some of those shirts in inception and not look ridiculous.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to Sway)
Post #: 19
RE: Tom Hardy - 23/8/2010 3:59:13 PM   
ElephantBoy

Since this thread has moved in that direction then I will comment on Bronson.  I never got the critical reponse to that film.

In my view it was just too empity.  It gave you a fairly convincing portrait of a mad man, however lacked the human aspect required to really explore the character, and over did it with the style [too showy], and the black comedy.

As stated I thought Hardy gave a decent performance, but not all it was cracked up to be.

I am not writting the guy off yet as I have only seen him in that and Inception, but so far have not seen that much in him, likewise there hasn't been enough to suggest he won't improve, so I will wait and see

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 20
RE: Tom Hardy - 23/8/2010 4:06:33 PM   
elab49

I thought the performance was very good, but I wasn't a great fan of the film. It compared very poorly to, IMO, Chopper, which I assumed was partly what it modelled itself on.

quote:

Post #: 21
RE: Tom Hardy - 23/8/2010 4:13:36 PM   
superdan

I rate him quite highly actually, from what I've seen of him. He gives a terrifically vaudevillian performance in Bronson (bit too much full frontal male nudity for my liking though ), and he reins it in nicely in Inception. The banter between him and Gordon-Levitt is excellent. I thought he was pretty good in RocknRolla too.

The less said about that crappy Star Trek film the better though.

Post #: 22
RE: Tom Hardy - 23/8/2010 4:19:34 PM   
ElephantBoy

Oh I like the Startrek movie, just didn't know him at the time.  Your post was going well up to that point

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 23
RE: Tom Hardy - 23/8/2010 4:25:11 PM   
superdan

It's a poxy movie, like most of the other Next Gen films. 

Post #: 24
RE: Tom Hardy - 23/8/2010 4:36:03 PM   
ElephantBoy

Just to be clear are you talking about the recent Star trek film or something different.

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 25
RE: Tom Hardy - 23/8/2010 4:38:28 PM   
superdan

I'm talking about Star Trek Nemesis, which Hardy was in (although he wasn't the worst thing about it). No, JJ Abrams' Star Trek was quality.

Post #: 26
RE: Tom Hardy - 23/8/2010 4:42:25 PM   
ElephantBoy

Fair enough, I have never seen Nemesis and have little desire to do so.  In this case we agree!

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 27
RE: Tom Hardy - 25/8/2010 1:53:28 PM   
Sphinx

First Contact was okay-ish

His heathcliff was a bit too full-on, I love his voice though, jury is still out as he is very bravely dabbling with a long-favoured franchise of mine

Hope the aussie accent is decent, that''s all I ask!!

Meet The New Boss...Same As The Old Boss

Post #: 28
RE: Tom Hardy - 26/8/2010 8:39:31 PM   
batcountry84

Ahhh, so here's where your hiding, Sway! 

I got one word for ya: BRONSON

Bang bang - Knockout!

And you know what he said?.... I need about treefiddy.
*Uncle Rotter - Fit Goth Chicks*
My interview with Dyanne Thorne @ Horror Cult Films

(in reply to Sphinx)
Post #: 29
RE: Tom Hardy - 27/8/2010 3:14:56 AM   
Sway

quote:

ORIGINAL: batcountry84

Ahhh, so here's where your hiding, Sway! 

I got one word for ya: BRONSON

Bang bang - Knockout!

Hahaha, I just replied to you in the Av thread and pointed you in this direction.... Looks like you beat me to it.  I just thought it was quite amusing you went from an Eames related av to Bronson, and thought maybe you'd been aware of my total obsession for him!

(in reply to batcountry84)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Actors And Auteurs >> Tom Hardy Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI