Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

My top 50 Lord Of The Rings moments.

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> My top 50 Lord Of The Rings moments. Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
My top 50 Lord Of The Rings moments. - 15/8/2010 1:59:30 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

Coming soon. It will be of more interest than the Sesame Street one, but just as specific. And film-related this time as well.

< Message edited by Gimli The Dwarf -- 15/8/2010 2:43:28 AM >

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!
Post #: 1
RE: My top 50 ??? - 15/8/2010 2:06:37 AM   
rawlinson

So it's 50 things to do with the same film (or film series)?

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 2
RE: My top 50 ??? - 15/8/2010 2:08:06 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

Yes.

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Much more better!

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 3
RE: My top 50 ??? - 15/8/2010 2:09:20 AM   
swordsandsandals

If the charge at Pelennor isn't featured, I'll be massively disappointed.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rawlinson

Swords is right about everything.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hood_Man

Swords smells like bum.

Post #: 4
RE: My top 50 ??? - 15/8/2010 2:17:13 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

Dude, that wasn't featured in The Da Vinci Code or Angels and Demons!

Much more better!

(in reply to swordsandsandals)
Post #: 5
RE: My top 50 ??? - 15/8/2010 2:20:40 AM   
rawlinson

I'm predicting a major rug-pull with this thread. You'll reveal that the LotR love is an elaborate hoax and you're really a Deadite, working undercover to bring the whole rotten system down. 

Post #: 6
RE: My top 50 ??? - 15/8/2010 2:43:07 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

You should be so lucky

It was only a last minute decision to go with LOTR. I have two other lists almost completed as well, but this one's the biggest so I thought I'd get it out of the way.

Much more better!

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 7
RE: My top 50 ??? - 15/8/2010 3:14:34 AM   
rawlinson

Just trying to help you see the light. 

Post #: 8
RE: My top 50 ??? - 15/8/2010 4:46:29 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

I should put "Deadites not welcome" in the thread title.

Much more better!

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 9
RE: My top 50 ??? - 15/8/2010 10:32:56 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

My top 50

Moments

Okey-doke. I first mentioned Iíd do this list in a Fun and Games thread way, way, way back at the end of 2006 and Iíve been asked on more than one occasion when the list will actually arrive. Iíve actually been working on it since then. Donít, however, go expecting something thatís worthy of 4 years work. Moments had been picked and the list was ordered within days of me stating I had this idea for a thread. Iíd not long read about 17 different LOTR books and listened to all 12 commentary tracks, so information about all the relevant scenes was fresh in my mind. I then wrote a few entries in full, realised it was a almost a recitation of what Iíd just read and heard, a practical ďmaking ofĒ, started almost afresh and then didnít do anything again for 4 months. And then, after another five entries or so, it was over half a year before I did any more. Since then, itís been 5 minutes every few months or so and then polished off in the last few weeks. Of course, my recall of events isnít helped by the fact that since 2008, Iíve only seen FOTR and TTT once each, in their shorter forms, and ROTK not at all (there have been reasons though!). Consequently, Iíve tended to write less on some ROTK entries. Things havenít been helped by the fact I didnít approach writing this in either list or narrative order, I just wrote about whichever section I felt like pondering over at the time, and writing about similar moments with a 2+ plus year gap isnít the best method. As such, it never really flows and can become a bit (very) repetitive, and trying to fix all that before I posted it was too much like hard work.

I did find that I had to start lumping moments together. Moments became scenes and scenes became sequences quite easily, especially with regards to Fellowship, unhindered as it is by having one story to tell, it became easier to include entire passages. And there are countless bits Iíve missed. And there are actually 51 entries

Much more better!

Post #: 10
RE: My top 50 ??? - 15/8/2010 10:33:33 AM   
Piles

Yay! Let's hope for the entirity of Helm's Deep at number 1.

Top 100 Moz Songs / Top 100 Films

Post #: 11
RE: My top 50 ??? - 15/8/2010 10:35:45 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

Now, Iíll be the first to admit that this isnít the greatest of scenes in the films. Admittedly, from a storytelling perspective, it certainly doesnít seem out of place, and for those who wanted things livened up a bit more, it does provide some action prior to Helmís Deep. Importantly, it also provides a reason for it being Aragorn who delivers the news of Sarumanís advancing army, leading to further conflict with Theoden.

The scene itself offers us some remarkable Elvish gymnastics, and poor old Hama, an unsung hero of the films, gets a rather nasty faceful of Warg. Unpleasant in the extreme I'd imagine. Overall though, the warg attack is one of the more poorly choreographed moments from the films, and also suffers from some of the worst instances of CGI (Indeed, rebooted wargs were pretty much the only thing I had great hopes for when Guillermo Del Toro was in charge of The Hobbit films). This is also one of the most obvious instances when my namesake suffers from outright buffoonery.

So, why does this make the cut when there are entire sequences I like more that donít? One reason, a reason that will become a mainstay on this list; Howard Shoreís music. The music written for this scene is phenomenal, one of the very best of Shore's compositions, and even in the truncated form we hear in the film, it works wonders in setting the scene. In full though, this piece of music is splendid. If anyone has both the extended cut of the film and the Complete Recordings for the music, it's very interesting to compare the music to the film (something which I have probably spent far too long doing!)

Have a listen!

And that's number 51. Expect 50 equally worthless rambling from me very soon!

Much more better!

Post #: 12
RE: My top 50 ??? - 15/8/2010 10:39:21 AM   
Piles

The Warg Attack - agree to some extent with your review. Shore's music is incredible but, for me, it can't stop that sequence from being the worst in the entire of The Two Towers, if not trilogy, which is a shame as TTT is actually my favourite of the three.

Top 100 Moz Songs / Top 100 Films

Post #: 13
RE: My top 50 ??? - 15/8/2010 12:38:36 PM   
silverado

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gimli The Dwarf
Okey-doke. I first mentioned I'd do this list in a Fun and Games thread way, way, way back at the end of 2006

I was there four years ago when this thread was first advertised . Looking forward to it.

Post #: 14
RE: My top 50 ??? - 15/8/2010 2:18:58 PM   
chris_scott01

I don't know if this is on the complete recordings cd but one of the most beautiful pieces is during those 20 mins of fanclub credits at the end of the extended edition of FOTR.  It's about half way through the credits and it's a variation of the fellowship theme but it's not from any part of the actual films.

rapidite! rapidite!

(in reply to silverado)
Post #: 15
RE: My top 50 ??? - 15/8/2010 11:33:46 PM   
Gimli The Dwarf

Silver, I hope it's worth the wait

quote:

ORIGINAL: chris_scott01

I don't know if this is on the complete recordings cd but one of the most beautiful pieces is during those 20 mins of fanclub credits at the end of the extended edition of FOTR.† It's about half way through the credits and it's a variation of the fellowship theme but it's not from any part of the actual films.

The credits are home to quite a few pieces of music that don't make the films, and I think I know the bit you mean. There's also a variation of some Hobbit music, but my favourite piece would be the slightly different Breaking Of The Fellowship music that finishes the credits.

< Message edited by Gimli The Dwarf -- 16/8/2010 2:48:15 AM >

Much more better!

(in reply to chris_scott01)
Post #: 16
RE: My top 50 ??? - 15/8/2010 11:38:23 PM   
Gimli The Dwarf

Yes, one of my 50 greatest moments from LOTR is the closing credits from Return Of The King and no, before anyone gets there, itís not because Iím glad that itís over. Believe me, Iím far from glad.

It is actually rare for me to want to watch the credits of a film. Oftentimes, this is a case of ďOh well, filmís over, whatís next?Ē. Occasionally (but more frequently of late) itís due to appallingly awful song playing over the credits. Here though, the credits are essential viewing. First, Into The West is a damn fine song, an Elvish lament that utilises the theme weíve come to associate with the Grey Havens, tying the end of our time in Middle Earth with that of our hero, deserving of both its Oscar and Grammy, and itís a better choice than the original song to be used, Use Well The Days, also performed by Lennox.. Second, you have the beautiful Alan Lee artwork that accompanies the cast list. Itís always a boon I find when youíre reminded, pictorially, of who played whom. Mainly though, after 11 hours of emotional turmoil, you need this time to compose yourself. Whenever my sister and myself watch the films, all you can hear apart from the sound of the music is our sniffling. (I canít actually listen to the song anymore myself without almost crying Ė similar phrases will pop up again and again in this list!) Itís a perfect chance to reflect over the sheer greatness youíve just witnessed, and once the songís finished, thereís still a good 5 minutes of music, a suite of compositions from the film, culminating in a nod to Wagnerís Ring Opera. Awesome.

It should also be noted that the first two film contains essential credit sequences as well. Enyaís May It Be and EmilŪana Torrini Gollumís Song both surpassing Into The West, and I suppose in a way this entry represent all three pieces of music. Gollumís Song wasnít even Oscar-nominated. Bastard Academy.

Have a listen to Use Well The Days here -

And compare it to Into The West -

Much more better!

Post #: 17
RE: My top 50 ??? - 15/8/2010 11:40:01 PM   
Rhubarb

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

ORIGINAL: FritzlFan

You organisational skills sicken me, Rhubarb.

Post #: 18
RE: My top 50 ??? - 15/8/2010 11:41:43 PM   
rawlinson

Doesn't quite compare to a man with a chainsaw for a hand, does it? 

Seriously though, this is fascinating so far.

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 19
RE: My top 50 ??? - 15/8/2010 11:44:35 PM   
Gimli The Dwarf

You and your Bruce Campbell fetish can go and take a hike

Much more better!

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 20
RE: My top 50 ??? - 15/8/2010 11:48:05 PM   
elab49

Are many of them going to be so music related?

I thought song was the one Oscar LOTR shouldn't have won on the night - it sounded so insipid beside Belleville Rendevous. And that wonderful performance too.

The pics with your entries are fabulous Gimli - I thought my eyes were going after a late night last night, but they are actually rippling!

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

Post #: 21
RE: My top 50 ??? - 15/8/2010 11:49:32 PM   
rawlinson

Post #: 22
RE: My top 50 ??? - 16/8/2010 12:01:17 AM   
Rhubarb

Seriously though Gim, i'm oddly impressed.

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

ORIGINAL: FritzlFan

You organisational skills sicken me, Rhubarb.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 23
RE: My top 50 ??? - 16/8/2010 12:16:24 AM   
Deviation

quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 24
RE: My top 50 ??? - 16/8/2010 1:44:08 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

Are many of them going to be so music related?

Yes, I don't know if that's good or bad

I mean, obviously I'm not including most moments just for the music, but I talk about it in many entries.

Granted though, Belleville had a great song, and in any other years I probably would have been rooting for that to win. There was a bike on stage if I remember as well, being used as an instrument. A great performance. But that choice is just as much about the images and the mood as it is the song.

And that pic, it took me about 7 hours to figure out how to do that. I was calling my computer all the names going

< Message edited by Gimli The Dwarf -- 16/8/2010 6:45:09 AM >

Much more better!

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 25
RE: My top 50 ??? - 16/8/2010 1:48:04 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

One common complaint regarding Return Of The King is the use of the Army Of The Dead during the Battle of Pelennor Fields, their arrival a deus ex machina that brings about the end of the battle. There's probably a lot of validity within that, and I'm constantly reminded that, in the books, they never actually arrive at Minas Tirith, but to me to me it makes a lot of sense to use this army in such a fashion.

Within the films, the crucial function of Aragorn journeying along the Paths of the Dead is to allow him to wield the reforged Andural and finally admit his position as the rightful heir to Gondor. Bookwise, such ideas come across much earlier I believe, back in the Fellowship. In the tale, with the Dead Men of Dunharrow at his side, Aragorn liberates areas of Gondor, gains control of the Corsair ships, allows the Army of the Dead to leave, gathers a new army and then ventures to Minas Tirith and final victory. That's a lot to fit into a film thatís already pushing 4 hours and besides, who'd you rather fight against the forces of Sauron with - flesh and blood men who can be killed or unstoppable ghouls? I know what I'd pick. Not having them at Pelennor Fields would have rendered the Paths of The Dead sequence moot and in turn, lessened the entire storyline of Aragorn.

And it's the Paths of the Dead sequence I'm picking out for here. With a slightly greater emphasis on comedy (perhaps too much) in the extended editions, it kicks off when our heroes meet the King Of The Dead. The reveal of the ghosts and their spectral city within the vast underground chamber is magnificent, the score is at its most dissonant, and there a sense of great unease, The look of the ghosts is grand, the bones beneath the rotting flesh and all, and it's a stroke of unfortunate luck that Pirates of the Caribbean came out not long before, with similarly styled undead creatures. Nevertheless, the treatment and appearance of this translucent, spirit world is very effective. And we have Aragorn locking swords with the King of the Dead, finally accepting what's he's been grappling with for three films. All the falling skulls? Necessary or not, I like the fact that these scenes there were shot after the film had won its 11 Oscars, but the overall sequence is a pivotal one with the third film and a crucial one for Aragorn.

Much more better!

Post #: 26
RE: My top 50 ??? - 16/8/2010 7:02:33 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

So, Gandalf gets his horse. Thatís about it really, but admittedly itís a spectacular horse. You could argue how does a man who a few minutes before had forgotten his own name recall the name if his horse, or ponder about how lucky it was the Shadowfax was just waiting on the borders of Fangorn. But if you do you're probably a miserable, old curmudegon. It's just a lovely moment.

Much more better!

Post #: 27
RE: My top 50 ??? - 16/8/2010 7:04:36 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

Ok, so I feel like Iím cheating here, mainly because what follows immediately after will itself make the list, and also because this moment last no more then 2 seconds. But the expression in Gandalfís eyes once heís heard Frodo is just awesome here, filled with hope and uncertainty and love. Great work from McKellen.

Much more better!

Post #: 28
RE: My top 50 ??? - 16/8/2010 7:09:49 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

Not the entire battle with the Mumakil but just the initial charge on Pelennor Fields, from the first sighting of them in the distance until the two armies clash. I expect this to be one of the least popular moments on the list. Iím an unapologetic believer, fan and advocate of CGI. Sure, itís overused and some of it plain sucks (hello, Scorpion King!) but when it works, it works wonders. Since itís conception, the impossible and fantastical have been brought to life as never before. The unbelievable has become real and that aura of believability is that bit more complete, and rarely has this been better achieved than here, helped, of course, due to the painstaking conceptual production process that went beforehand.

The Mumakil have been glimpsed briefly before in The Two Towers, but here the sheer, terrifying spectacle of then is unleashed in full. Itís a great bit of cinematic drama. A line of horsemen facing up to charge weapon-laden giant elephants, the Haradrim appearing to have an almost Uruk-Hai sensibility when it comes to causing pain and death. The odds are impossible, but Theoden faces up to the task, as he did when first arriving at Pelennor Fields not long before. Thereís just some great, intimate epicness to it all, and that sweeping shot past the front of the Mumakil is sublime. The grand, heavy music cuts out just as the Rohirrim collide with the Mumakil, and the sound of battle takes over, taking us into the remainder of the scene. The entire battle contains some of the best CG work Iíve ever seen and is impressive from start to finish, but the very beginning is spectacular.

Much more better!

Post #: 29
RE: My top 50 ??? - 16/8/2010 7:17:34 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

From one section of the Pelennor Fields battle to another, and one that I fear might be as unpopular as the last.

A lot of people donít like his portrayal, but Iíve always thought John Noble was great in the role of Denethor. Itís true we never realise why he acted so rashly or what caused his hatred of Faramir but heís never less than believable as a man who has squandered his lands, his rule, his people. The cheese has slid from his cracker, and while an extra line or two could have been used to show his descent into selfish madness, it not altogether needed I donít think. Thereís evidence enough to show he hasnít always been this way in one single line from Boromir back at Amon Hen - ďMy father is a noble manĒ. We never doubt his word, but we never see this side of Denethor, and I think that makes him a more poignant and sorrowful character overall.

Still, all thatís no excuse for trying to burn your son alive. And admittedly the very end of Denethorís time in Middle Earth is one of a few instances in which I can agree that spectacle overtakes story. But it is a most spectacular spetacle, one that gives Pippin another chance to make up for the buffoonery he has shown in the past. And the epic sweeping shot from Minis Tirith does show, perhaps better than any other, just how vast this battle is.

Issues have to be taken with the logistics of Denethorís death though. Heís in a heavy coat, not the youngest of men and heís on fire. Yet he manages to make the following journey.

That's bloody impressive

Much more better!

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> My top 50 Lord Of The Rings moments. Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News††|††Empire Blog††|††Movie Reviews††|††Future Films††|††Features††|††Video Interviews††|††Image Gallery††|††Competitions††|††Forum††|††Magazine††|††Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI