Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: "Unseriously?" - seriously?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> RE: "Unseriously?" - seriously? Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: "Unseriously?" - seriously? - 15/8/2010 12:26:22 PM   
dreddhead123

quote:

"He's going to hit people and it's going to feel real" - "comic books were...taken unseriously?" I hope Andrew Macdonald isn't writing the thing! vocabulary of a two year old. And gritty? realistic? Has he even read the comic?

I emailed one of the films producers - I won't say which one - and mentioned that. I wrote

quote:

The quality of Dredd 2 depends on how realistic it is? That's illogical thinking from Mr MacDonald because Dredd is a sci-fi character set in a make-believe world. It's not meant to be realistic. He can't even grasp the basic concept of Dredd. It's not meant to be realistic. It's meant to be a fantasy world full of over-the top characters and perps.
When the producer has to sell the movie on the fact 'Dredd's punches will seem real' rather than saying "the story brings 2000AD's Dredd strip to life" you know you're destined for a big fall.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Mr MacDonald seems more interested in getting across the fact the film will be very violent rather than promoting it as a faithful adaptation of 2000AD's Judge Dredd strip:

"Heís going to hit people and itís going to feel real."

It's as if he's saying our main intention is to make you believe Dredd is very violent. There's also mention of R rated content and it being grim and gritty. Having read the Garland screenplay I can say with total confidence there is no satire or off-the-wall humour, no crazy cits or crazy perps or crazy situations. It's a conventional action story set in the future. It has none of John Wagner or Alan Grant's take on Mega-City 1. It's just a grim and gritty vision of MC-1. Punks live in squalid apartments, inject drugs, swear all the time. There's very little humour and what humor there is comes from dialogue rather than from situations. It's far removed from 99 percent of Wagner's Dredd material which is more of a satire of 20th century American life and placed in a futuristic setting.

If this screenplay gets made, the film will be a much more one dimensional take on Dredd's world. The crazy side of Dredd's world is non-existent in Garland's screenplay (the one leaked onto the net).

< Message edited by dreddhead123 -- 15/8/2010 12:27:58 PM >

(in reply to afearofbuttons)
Post #: 61
RE: "Unseriously?" - seriously? - 15/8/2010 1:06:11 PM   
Rgirvan44

We already have a great Judge Dredd movie in Robocop anyways.

I do like the idea that Ma-Ma is a rubbish name for a bad guy, but having characters on screen say the swear words 'stomm' and 'drokk' wouldn't be utterly stupid.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to dreddhead123)
Post #: 62
Who i think should been casted - 15/8/2010 5:08:58 PM   
LowenhartDK

I personally dont think Karl Urban should be Judge Dredd, he dident really lift Doom very well, even if they movie itself werent that good, id have gone with some like Clive Owen, Dominic Purcell or Jason Stathom, and if Rico is in it maybe Mark Strong or Mickey Rourke As Rico i think they would made for better cast options, Also id focus script on the beginning why they came to be needed, and some the political essence in it along with the action to lift the movie.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 63
It doesnt take much to play J.D - 15/8/2010 5:28:11 PM   
reinhardt76

Just stand there and look upset, you dont need to act much (as in Ashton Kutcher depths) enter Vinnie Jones! I know, against my better judgement and Micheal Sheen for the voice of Judge Death...oh and Christina Ricci should play Lisabeth Salander, sorry couldnt access the page (something about server 500)

Post #: 64
Why does everybody hate the one with Stallone? - 15/8/2010 7:32:01 PM   
Mancubus

No, really, I'm just curious. I never read many of the comics and I'm defnitelty not much into the character of Dredd. I get it, that the movie didn't "get" the original tone that well, but for me the design was great, it was entertaining and I quite liked it. I still do I guess. Call it a guilty pleasure, alhough I'm not exactly sure why it's treated so badly.

Post #: 65
about time - 15/8/2010 10:05:00 PM   
anakin solo

i've got nothing against the old one with sly but it was much to light and happy for judge dredd, i mean there was killing but it didn't shock. Mega city one is a dark and gritty with some insanely violent characters in it that can't be lightened up including dredd who never ever takes his helmet off and never should and i'm for one glad that he won't in this new film and i am glad that it will be an 18 movie.

Post #: 66
- 16/8/2010 2:03:59 AM   
BubbaGump Shrimps

Just keep it dark, gritty, messy & dirty... Like Blade Runner!!!
Millions & millions of people crowded into a few Megacities!

Post #: 67
RE: Why does everybody hate the one with Stallone? - 16/8/2010 7:21:51 AM   
LowenhartDK

I dont hate Sylvester Stallone. in fact i think his become a really good actor and make really good movies now, but if we gonna be honest his A acting performances was really the Rocky movies and the movies after Cop land, it was Cop Land that really started to show his acting skills, i think if he did Judge Dredd now he would perform it a hell of alot better than he did first time.

Post #: 68
Judge Dredd and Cinema - 16/8/2010 7:28:08 AM   
LowenhartDK

But another thing is i really think they need to look at another Judge Dredd and get some hot but affordable Actors, and get more into story and action, instead of just action with no story content, otherwise its never gonna make it to cinema and with Karl Urban i doubt they can exspect more than box sales income, id Think dominic Purcell as mention before would make a great Judge Dredd, but if they gonna draw people and get to Cinema they need names like Clive Owen, Russel Crowe, Christian Bale or Jason Stathom to get there.

< Message edited by LowenhartDK -- 16/8/2010 7:36:14 AM >

Post #: 69
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> RE: "Unseriously?" - seriously? Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News††|††Empire Blog††|††Movie Reviews††|††Future Films††|††Features††|††Video Interviews††|††Image Gallery††|††Competitions††|††Forum††|††Magazine††|††Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI