Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Not really an exclusive when it was announced last month

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> RE: Not really an exclusive when it was announced last month Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Not really an exclusive when it was announced last ... - 14/8/2010 12:17:11 PM   
elab49

raclements - if you have a problem with another user use the report button please, don't attack them and make accusations in thread.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to Live for Films)
Post #: 31
RE: Not really an exclusive when it was announced last ... - 14/8/2010 12:18:18 PM   
dreddhead123

"'Dreddhead' and 'dreddhead123' are the same person."

I am not the same person and Empire should be able to prove it. When you register with a forum your Internet Protocol address is logged with the site. The IP address gives an approximate location of the computer - the area in the country. Empire should be able to see both myself and Dreddhead come from different locations and have different IP addresses. And no, I'm not masking my IP address.

Hand on heart, I am not Dreddhead. I don't need to make two accounts to post my criticism of the Garland screenplay. One is enough.

< Message edited by dreddhead123 -- 14/8/2010 12:22:09 PM >

Post #: 32
RE: Not really an exclusive when it was announced last ... - 14/8/2010 12:21:30 PM   
elab49

Irrespective - we also don't encourage advertising your fan stuff in here. There is a youtube link thread in Mammoth threads if you want, but don't repost it in one of these.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

(in reply to dreddhead123)
Post #: 33
RE: Not really an exclusive when it was announced last ... - 14/8/2010 12:23:17 PM   
dreddhead123

I deleted my sample. :)

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 34
The Suit/Helmet - 14/8/2010 12:24:31 PM   
batfunk

Let's hope the suit and helmet is as close to the Bolland/McMahon/McNeil vision as possible. The suit/helmet in the previous movie sucked. The shape of the helmet for me is a make or break detail. Many artists just can't draw it without it looking plain wrong. As Dark Knight has proved, a monster-wheeled bike is a possibility too.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 35
- 14/8/2010 12:27:05 PM   
dunkah

I'm still adamant that the only way to do justice to Dredd and his world is to have the story come from the perspective of a character like Chopper or America - someone who kicks against the totalitarian system.

Post #: 36
Poor Karl! - 14/8/2010 1:14:35 PM   
bradthunder

"We've cast a guy called Karl Urban...!" 'A guy!' It's not exactly like he's a newcomer!

< Message edited by bradthunder -- 14/8/2010 6:24:19 PM >

Post #: 37
CREDO! - 14/8/2010 2:46:49 PM   
Gram Woods

I can't wait for this, lets face it, they can't do a worse job than the Stallone one. I've been a fan of 2000ad since the 80's and I was deeply offended by the last effort to make a movie, I saw the captain America costume a couple of months back here on Empire and thought, with just a few tweaks, that costume would be great for the judges, it's supposed to be bike leathers not bloody spandex! And lets just pretend that the lawmaster bike from the last movie didn't happen, it was just a bad dream. 18 rating gives me hope, don't let us down, your move creeps!

Post #: 38
CREDO! - 14/8/2010 2:48:12 PM   
Gram Woods

I can't wait for this, lets face it, they can't do a worse job than the Stallone one. I've been a fan of 2000ad since the 80's and I was deeply offended by the last effort to make a movie, I saw the captain America costume a couple of months back here on Empire and thought, with just a few tweaks, that costume would be great for the judges, it's supposed to be bike leathers not bloody spandex! And lets just pretend that the lawmaster bike from the last movie didn't happen, it was just a bad dream. 18 rating gives me hope, don't let us down, your move creeps!

Post #: 39
RE: Not really an exclusive when it was announced last ... - 14/8/2010 8:51:02 PM   
Deviation

*reads thread*

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

Post #: 40
RE: Not really an exclusive when it was announced last ... - 14/8/2010 10:28:31 PM   
dreddhead

I'm not Scojo! As amusing the the thought of him arguing with himself is, I am most definately not he(it's a bit like that scene in Star Trek-The Undiscovered Country, where they're trying to figure out who the real Kirk is)
Well I'm the real Dreddhead! And someone who has read 2000ad for thirty odd years and is excited about seeing a thrilling interpretation of my favourite comic book character!

You can ban that troll dreadhead123 though! He'll poison this thread, see if he don't!

Please don't ban me Empire internet bods!

< Message edited by dreddhead -- 14/8/2010 10:55:07 PM >

Post #: 41
RE: Not really an exclusive when it was announced last ... - 14/8/2010 11:15:42 PM   
dreddhead123

Dreddhead, no-one here knows who scojo is! They don't all read 2000AD and visit 2000ADonline here, you know! LOL

As for Dreddhead123, he's no troll. But if you want I can post a sample from my exclusive DARK JUDGES screenplay. It's pretty good and full of exciting Dredd vs Dark Judges action! I can delete the sample after I post it. Isn't the edit post function a wonderful thing?

(in reply to dreddhead)
Post #: 42
RE: Not really an exclusive when it was announced last ... - 14/8/2010 11:28:27 PM   
Piles

quote:

ORIGINAL: dreddhead123

Dreddhead, no-one here knows who scojo is! They don't all read 2000AD and visit 2000ADonline here, you know! LOL

As for Dreddhead123, he's no troll. But if you want I can post a sample from my exclusive DARK JUDGES screenplay. It's pretty good and full of exciting Dredd vs Dark Judges action! I can delete the sample after I post it. Isn't the edit post function a wonderful thing?

Shut up you gigantic idiot.

Top 100 Moz Songs / Top 100 Films

Post #: 43
RE: Not really an exclusive when it was announced last ... - 15/8/2010 1:00:16 AM   
dreddhead123

This new film is heading for total disaster and a complete betrayal of Dredd. I'll explain why.

1) The screenplay IS a Die Hard rip-off. If you doubt my word, please read the leaked screenplay. You can Google it and find the download link. Go read it and judge for yourselves.

Apeing Die Hard is a major mistake. Yes, the action may be decent - Dredd in corridors taking out perps, I'm not saying the action in Dredd 2 will be bad, who knows, it could be fantastic (budget permitting) - but the screenplay needs more input from Wagner. It's imperative.

The only chance Dredd 2 has got is if most viewers don't care it's apeing Die Hard. If they don't care it could be a hit however if they DO CARE it's going to flop. Personally, I don't think it's worth the risk. Making a film involves risk, that's the nature of the beast, but I would scrap much of Garland's screenplay, let Wagner do some major rewrites, make it more colourful, more like the early golden years Dredd strips. You can still have the R rated action but give it more character.

The leaked Garland screenplay does not have enough character, it's unimaginative, uninspired, too predictable, too generic, it's too much of stuff we've see before. I'd scrap slo-mo which is a blatant rip-off of bullet time. Change the drug to stookie or something. At least that's something specific to Dredd's world. Let the perps be selling stookie and that keeps them young. That would work.

2) Producer Andrew MacDonald

"and John Wagner is involved in every decision."

This stuff about "and John Wagner is involved in every decision" is nonsense because Wagner would never write a Dredd Hard screenplay, he'd never make the main villain a hooker called Ma-Ma. Yes, the main villain is called Ma-Ma. How lame. He'd never have ambulances and paramedics in Dredd's world. He'd have med-judges and med-wagons. I doubt he'd make the perps say the f word all the time. It's just lies or deception to sell the film to the public. Nobody will buy this stuff because Wagner would never do Die Hard in a MC-1 block plot for a Dredd film, he'd come up with something a lot more imaginative and true to the spirit of the comic character.

The people making Dredd 2 are not smart. They think they can kid fans with "John Wagner is involved in every decision" but when you read the leaked screenplay you know most of it feels nothing like Wagner's work. What input has he made, what decisions has he approved? It's just empty words, meaningless nonsense. It's no surprise you have one of the producers saying the trite comments

"Our idea is to make a very hard, R-rated, gritty, realistic movie of Dredd in Megacity, so we’ve got to get the tone right. He’s not going to take off his helmet. His bike is going to feel real. He’s going to hit people and it’s going to feel real."

It's just a dumb thing to say. The quality of Dredd 2 depends on how realistic it is? That's illogical thinking, Mr MacDonald, because Dredd is a sci-fi character set in a make-believe world. It's not meant to be realistic. You can't even grasp the basic concept of Dredd. It's not meant to be realistic. It's meant to be a fantasy world full of over-the top characters and perps. Go read Judge Cal - is that meant to be realistic? Go read Judge Child - is that meant to be realistic? Judge Death - realistic? Cry of the Werewolf - realistic? Citizen Snork - realistic? Tour of Duty - realistic? A story about mutants rights and some crazed psycho killer using a robot sex droid to kill the Chief Judge. Is that realistic?

No, of course not. That's the whole point of Dredd! It's not meant to be realistic. It's sci-fi, exaggerated sci-fi.

The people making the film don't even get the basics of Dredd. They can't even get the basic concept right hence why Garland - a hack who most likely read a few Dredds back in the school playground and never thought much else about it - has written Die Hard in a MC-1 block. Although Die Hard is an over-the-top film it's grounded in 20th century America. There's nothing about Die Hard that is applicable to Dredd other than the fact John McClane is a cop and Dredd is a cop. That's where the similarities begin and end. But the people making Dredd 2 are shoehorning Dredd's world into Die Hard's world. And they compound their foolishness with trite comments like:

"Our idea is to make a very hard, R-rated, gritty, realistic movie of Dredd in Megacity, so we’ve got to get the tone right."

They've got it totally wrong. They so foolish they don't even get the fact Dredd is sci-fi fantasy, not sci-fi realism.

The whole thing is hilarious. They're totally clueless.

< Message edited by dreddhead123 -- 15/8/2010 1:03:35 AM >

Post #: 44
RE: Not really an exclusive when it was announced last ... - 15/8/2010 1:11:20 AM   
elab49

Keep this up and neither of you will be here for long - especially if it looks as if one of you is forgetting which he is when he posts.

quote:

Isn't the edit post function a wonderful thing?

Not if you admit you've breached an instruction you've already been given - we'd be grateful if you'd heed it.

If you have a troll accusation use the report button - otherwise stick to the the thread topic please.

quote:

Post #: 45
RE: Not really an exclusive when it was announced last ... - 15/8/2010 1:53:20 AM   
dreddhead123

All I'm doing is offering my opinion.

Anyway, Dredd is not meant to be realistic. It's sci-fi, exaggerated sci-fi. The character does feature adult themes, fascism, law and order, freedom vs oppression blah blah blah but it's never been done in a particularly realistic way. The idea Dredd is realistic is absurd. You might as well say Chris Nolan's Dark Knight was realistic. A film about a guy dressed up as a bat fighting a guy wearing silly makeup and red lipstick. Yeah, that was realistic too. :P

< Message edited by dreddhead123 -- 15/8/2010 1:54:01 AM >

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 46
RE: Not really an exclusive when it was announced last ... - 15/8/2010 2:33:18 AM   
KeithM

quote:

ORIGINAL: dreddhead123

The leaked Garland screenplay does not have enough character

You're assuming that:

(a) it's genuine.
(b) it's the final draft

The fact that it was leaked and nobody has yet to pull it down nor confirm it as genuine means almost without doubt that it:

(a) isn't genuine or
(b) is an early draft.

Let's assume for the sake of argument though that it IS genuine. Do you know anything at all about script writing (I've seen your examples of your own efforts, so I'm guessing not)? No script ever makes it to the screen without changes. Sometimes wholesale. A lot of 'character' and other tweaks are added during re-drafts, re-writes, pre-production, during rehearsals, during shooting and during editing and post. A movie is an ongoing process. If this IS genuine, I guaran-damn-tee you it isn't the shooting script.

quote:

2) Producer Andrew MacDonald

"and John Wagner is involved in every decision."

This stuff about "and John Wagner is involved in every decision" is nonsense.

From an interview with Wagner in January:

quote:

I have read the script (by Alex Garland) and seen Jock’s visuals. While I can’t go into detail about the content I can say that it’s high-octane, edge of the seat stuff, and gives a far truer representation of Dredd than the first movie. I hated that plot. It was Dredd pressed through the Hollywood cliché mill, a dynastic power struggle that had little connection with the character we know from the comic.
Confident? I will be once I hear they’ve started filming. There’s many a slip.
Source: http://www.2000adreview.co.uk/site/index.php/Interviews/John-Wagner-on-Dredd.html

John Wagner also talks about how involved he is on his Facebook page, where it even mentions how Garland is STILL getting ideas from him (as of this month - remember how we talked about scripts being an ongoing process?)

quote:

What input has he made, what decisions has he approved?

Let the man tell you himself:

quote:

John Wagner Went up to London to see Alex Garland, Pete Travis and the DNA team today and look over what they've been up to. They've found some nice locations in South Africa and with some great CGI are a long way towards creating a convincing Mega-City One. They're keen to include a lot of Mega-City background detail - good graffiti, for instance - and while I can provide a lot of it I'll also be happy to pass on any good fan suggestions to them. What odd sort of shopfronts would there be - e.g. Male Pregnancy Advice Bureau - what odd sights might you see on the streets or in the home. All suggestions welcome!See more28 July at 20:31 · View feedback (86)Hide feedback (86)

Note the date. Ongoing process. Keep repeating.

quote:

It's just a dumb thing to say. The quality of Dredd 2 depends on how realistic it is? That's illogical thinking, Mr MacDonald, because Dredd is a sci-fi character set in a make-believe world. It's not meant to be realistic. <snip> It's sci-fi, exaggerated sci-fi.

Again, Mr Wagner disagrees apparently (see above quotes).

And there's something here that YOU don't seem to get. When people say 'realistic' they don't mean nothing fantastic or magical or crazy ever happens, it just means to have a believable, realistic feel to it. Lord of the Rings had a 'gritty, realistic' feel to it, despite all the monsters and magic. The Dark Knight had a 'gritty realistic' feel to it, even though it was a complete fantasy about a man trained by secret ninjas, dressing up as a bat and using impossible gadgets..  And they were both all the better for it than had they gone for a cartoon feel like you seem to want for Dredd.  Screw that.  I want great big chunks of  'realism' with my fantasy thanks. It makes the fantastical and wondrous all the moreso when it's grounded in a world and people that seem real, even if they couldn't possibly be so.

quote:

The people making the film don't even get the basics of Dredd. <snip>.  They've got it totally wrong. They so foolish they don't even get the fact Dredd is sci-fi fantasy, not sci-fi realism.

See above. Can't it have elements of both? I don't want a cartoon, I want a 'realistic-ish' looking and feeling science fiction, comic book fantasy movie.  None of those are mutually exclusive.

I have absolutely no idea if they have the basics right or not and will withhold actual judgement until I've seen the movie for myself, but let's just say I trust Wagner's word and judgement over yours any time, so as long as he's making happy noises, I really don't care what you think and will keep an open mind.

quote:

The whole thing is hilarious..

The truest thing you've said yet.

Post #: 47
RE: Not really an exclusive when it was announced last ... - 15/8/2010 2:53:26 AM   
dreddhead123

quote:

From an interview with Wagner in January:

quote:

I have read the script (by Alex Garland) and seen Jock’s visuals. While I can’t go into detail about the content I can say that it’s high-octane, edge of the seat stuff, and gives a far truer representation of Dredd than the first movie. I hated that plot. It was Dredd pressed through the Hollywood cliché mill, a dynastic power struggle that had little connection with the character we know from the comic.
Confident? I will be once I hear they’ve started filming. There’s many a slip.
Source: http://www.2000adreview.co.uk/site/index.php/Interviews/John-Wagner-on-Dredd.html

John Wagner also talks about how involved he is on his Facebook page, where it even mentions how Garland is STILL getting ideas from him (as of this month - remember how we talked about scripts being an ongoing process?

A few things you need to know about Mr John Wagner (apart from the fact he's one of the all time great comic book writers)...

John Wagner hated the original Dredd film screenplay. His exact words:

"I hated that plot. It was Dredd pressed through the Hollywood cliché mill, a dynastic power struggle that had little connection with the character we know from the comic"

And yet John Wagner happily took money to adapt the same screenplay - the one he hated! - into comic stip form. Here it is:

http://cellarofdredd.blogspot.com/2010/08/daily-star-dredd-story_13.html#comments

The adaptation of the Dredd film. Story by John Wagner.

Don't you think that's a tad hypocritical? Why would he adapt a story he hated into comic strip form? Surely he could live without the money from that writing assignment? If you hated it that much you wouldn't want to promote the film, would you? Yet Wagner did. He wrote the newspaper comic strip version. Published in the News of the World.

So I wouldn't believe what Wagner says. Rebellion pay Wagner to write for 2000AD comic. Rebellion are co-producing the new Dredd film. If he came out and said "I've read Garland's screenplay, it's awful, just Die Hard set in Dredd's world" he could risk losing his job writing Dredd for 2000AD. I don't believe Wagner rates Garland's screenplay. I'd put money on that!

Wagner is a very smart guy, he's a master at writing stories. He wouldn't do a Die Hard type Dredd storyline for a Dredd film. That's the bottom line. He would do something more imaginative, using more of Mega-City 1's locations and perps.

And consider this, if you were making a Dredd film - a faithful one - why would you have the main villain as a 50-60 year old hooker called Ma-Ma? That's what's written in the screenplay. If John Wagner is in on every decision, why does he feel a hooker with a silly name - Ma-Ma - is the way to do a Dredd film villain? I'd love to know!

Logic dictates a 50 year old hooker isn't going to much or any threat to Dredd. Dredd is incredibly tough so he's not going to be intimidated by Ma-Ma, some old hooker! Let's get this clear

The main villain in Alex Garland's Dredd screenplay is an oldish gang leader former hooker called Ma-Ma.

Why a hooker when Dredd's world offers so much more than that? The villain could be so much more inventive, colourful. Garland could have used any villain from 2000AD - or be inspired by any villain - but the best he comes up with his Ma-Ma - which is slang for mother. Yes, the film is about Dredd vs Mother. A dumb sounding name for the main villain in a Dredd film. It's very lame stuff and if Wagner is approving such lame nonsense the film is destined to be poor.

< Message edited by dreddhead123 -- 15/8/2010 5:04:55 AM >

(in reply to KeithM)
Post #: 48
RE: Not really an exclusive when it was announced last ... - 15/8/2010 3:00:33 AM   
KeithM

So on the one hand you say that him being involved is nonsense and question how much input he actually has and when I illustrate that he indeed IS involved and continues to be so and is clearly having a large input, you rubbish the man's integrity and it still isn't good enough for you.

Post #: 49
RE: Not really an exclusive when it was announced last ... - 15/8/2010 3:07:56 AM   
dreddhead123

quote:

So on the one hand you say that him being involved is nonsense and question how much input he actually has and when I illustrate that he indeed IS involved and continues to be so and is clearly having a large input, you rubbish the man's integrity and it still isn't good enough for you.

Wagner has no integrity when it comes to Dredd films. I don't mean that in an unkind way, I'm just stating the facts as I see them. If you hate the original Dredd plot but happily take cash to adapt the plot into comic strip format, then yeah, I'm happy to say Wagner has no integrity. It doesn't make him any less of a great comic book writer. If he can hate the original Dredd plot but happily adapt it why should I believe him when he say Garland's screenplay is faithful. I reckon he is being PAID to be a story consultant so he doesn't care. If he has an actual credit in the film - 'Story Consultant John Wagner' then he's got paid for his time. He will say any old nonsense as long as he gets paid. This is why he did the News of the World Dredd film adaptation even though he hated the plot.

Go read the screenplay - it's still online - and see if it is a Die Hard rip-off. Why would I say it is that if I didn't think it was? It would weaken my argument if I were lying. Go read it and see for yourself. There are scenes that seem very similar to Die Hard, the overall plot has a Die Hard feel about it. It's hardly subtle, it's very obvious!

< Message edited by dreddhead123 -- 15/8/2010 5:05:19 AM >

(in reply to KeithM)
Post #: 50
RE: Not really an exclusive when it was announced last ... - 15/8/2010 3:53:34 AM   
KeithM

I don't want to read it. I'll watch the movie thanks. If it sucks, it sucks, if not, great. Either way, I'll make up my mind based on the movie, not rumours, leaked scripts and the internet opinion of some anonymous bloke who clearly has an agenda.

Everything you've said only convinces me that nothing except filming your screenplay would satisfy you (and I've been waiting since you first popped up from out of the woodwork with this to see if you would push 'your' script and you duly obliged at the first opportunity you got, even though nobody actually asked...)

You've argued way too strongly against this script and cannot seem to conceive that it might not be genuine or final nor can you seem to even remotely consider it might have been improved upon since then even if it was genuine.  Now, as a supposed Dredd fan, I would have thought you'd have been extremely open to and would positively embrace the idea that the script you read might not be the real and/or final product if you hated it so much.

It almost sounds like you want it to be bad and can't stand the thought of any other alternative.  Which is odd. For a Dredd fan. I know I'm always looking for reasons to be optimistic, right up until the closing credits when Hollywood piss all over my hopes and dreams. But sometimes they don't. Sometimes.

You have no respect for and think you know better than the creator of the character. You failed to read (and /or understand) anything I said about first drafts and how the script is an ongoing process.  You've utterly failed to respond to any and all reasonable criticisms and questions. You just keep repeating the same things over and over, blatantly ignoring anything and anyone which questions your absolute certainty that this WILL be shit based entirely on a dodgy, unconfirmed script you found on the internet (and one which many others have said sounds good - oh no, your opinion might not be the only valid one - what now?).

You popped up from out of the ether with this, with no post history on which to base your reliability and, as you've clearly illustrated with your script pushing, you clearly have an agenda, so I call troll.

< Message edited by KeithM -- 15/8/2010 4:01:07 AM >

Post #: 51
RE: Not really an exclusive when it was announced last ... - 15/8/2010 4:00:05 AM   
KeithM

double post

(in reply to KeithM)
Post #: 52
RE: Not really an exclusive when it was announced last ... - 15/8/2010 4:02:24 AM   
dreddhead123

Listen, my dear Empire user, your opinion is negated, undermined, made silly, because you haven't read the screenplay. I have and it's Dredd Hard. I suggest you stop being a silly moo and read it. Then you can say "hmm, Dreddhead is right, it is Die Hard set in Dredd's world" or you can say "no it's not."

But until you read the screenplay we can't extend this fascinating debate (yawn) any further.

I suggest we both retire for the night and meet up tomorrow at Hampstead Heath, in London. I will be in the public toilet dressed in my sexy leather Dredd uniform. See ya there, darling. xxxx

< Message edited by dreddhead123 -- 15/8/2010 4:03:00 AM >

(in reply to KeithM)
Post #: 53
RE: Not really an exclusive when it was announced last ... - 15/8/2010 4:15:29 AM   
KeithM

And your opinion is negated, undermined, made silly because you refuse to even consider that it might not be genuine and/or final and think you know better than the creator of the character.

There is no debate at all if you're incapable of seeing or engaging with any other view but your own.

Post #: 54
RE: Not really an exclusive when it was announced last ... - 15/8/2010 4:32:26 AM   
dreddhead123

If you think the main villain in a Dredd film - a supposed faithful Dredd film - should be a hooker called Ma-Ma, then good for you. Go ahead and enjoy Dredd 3D in 2011 or 2012.

If anyone thinks Ma-Ma sounds a lot of shit, (pardon my language) then email DNA Films and complain. Perhaps some sanity will prevail and we'll get something better than Garland's rubbish screenplay.

Good night.

(in reply to KeithM)
Post #: 55
RE: Not really an exclusive when it was announced last ... - 15/8/2010 7:19:36 AM   
KeithM

Have you heard of cognitive dissonance? I genuinely think you have it.

Do you actually read any of the posts before you respond to them?  Because quite often you've completely ignored questions directly asked and instead argue points that nobody else is making. Mental illness or simply trollishness? I genuinely wonder.

Quote me where I say anything at all about what/who the main villain should or shouldn't be.  Oh, wait, you can't, because I haven't even mentioned it.

I've consistently stated that I haven't read this script and that I don't believe it's genuine or no more than an early draft if so. So how can you possibly equate that to 'wanting' what's in it?  I wouldn't waste my time wanting or not wanting anything from an unconfirmed script. I generally wait for, you know, actual facts and official confirmation before committing to a judgement either way.

You're the one who seems to want this to be true more than anybody. You clearly get off on hating it and don't even seem to want to entertain the notion that what you read might not be what we get in the final product. You want your Ma-Ma more than anyone, it seems.

Actually, you know what - I DO want it to be Dredd Hard and feature a hooker called Ma-Ma now.  In fact, I may well write to DNA and ask them to throw away their current, real script and film that script verbatim, just to piss you off. 

Post #: 56
RE: Not really an exclusive when it was announced last ... - 15/8/2010 11:16:24 AM   
dreddhead123

quote:

Have you heard of cognitive dissonance? I genuinely think you have it.

Do you actually read any of the posts before you respond to them? Because quite often you've completely ignored questions directly asked and instead argue points that nobody else is making. Mental illness or simply trollishness? I genuinely wonder.

What has that got to do with the topic?

I've read the Garland Dredd screenplay - whichever draft it is (it's fairly detailed so I doubt it's the first draft) - and I've given my opinion on it. I've said it's a Die Hard rip-off with a bit of bullet time added. Okay? Now you wish to dismiss that or not consider that because you haven't read the screenplay. So what am I supposed to say to you? "Yes, I think you're right to dismiss my point of view because you haven't read it and your ignorance of said script makes your opinion more worthwhile than mine." Is that what you want me to say because if it is I'm not saying it.

If someone has read the screenplay and can give legitimate reasons why it's not a Die Hard rip-off and why it does not rip-off bullet time then fair enough, I'll consider their points. But you haven't done that, you're just saying "I'm a troll" and now you're getting personal by implying my stance is based on mental illness or cognitive dissonance. I don't even know what cognitive dissonance means, it's not the sort of term I expect to read when discussing a sci-fi screenplay on a movie website. If you want to get deep and meaningful about psychology perhaps you should post on boringpretentiousmessageposts.com

quote:

I've consistently stated that I haven't read this script

I accept you haven't read the screenplay, you don't want to read it, and I can understand why because you want the finished film to surprise you. Okay, fair enough. However, you wish to dismiss my point of view because I have read it!

quote:

and that I don't believe it's genuine or no more than an early draft if so.

This screenplay was reviewed on a website that reviews screenplays - The Playlist website - so did they think it was fake? No. The leaked screenplay matches 100 percent with the Playlist screenplay review outline. The Playlist outline was not based on a leaked screenplay. They didn't mention it was leaked to them nor did they mention "we think this is fake." They never said that. So what makes you think it's fake? You haven't read the thing so how can you know it's fake or even an early draft? You're just clutching at straws.

quote:

"Actually, you know what - I DO want it to be Dredd Hard and feature a hooker called Ma-Ma now. In fact, I may well write to DNA and ask them to throw away their current, real script and film that script verbatim, just to piss you off."

Whatever. I don't think that comment is worth much of a reply.

< Message edited by dreddhead123 -- 15/8/2010 11:35:07 AM >

(in reply to KeithM)
Post #: 57
RE: Not really an exclusive when it was announced last ... - 15/8/2010 11:35:54 AM   
sanchia

To be honest does anyone really think that script alone is what make a movie? To think that the script as it is is what will end on the screen is also a tad naive as very few scripts do not go through changes up to and during shooting. The quality of the acting, the direction, the effects and the whole feel of the movie will also play a significant part in the enjoyment of the film. I have seen many films with bad scripts which have in the end been great fun to watch and highly enjoyable. It is also important to remember that they are not just making the film for the hardcore fans but want something accessible for everyone otherwise it would be a major flop.

Nothing to see here.

Post #: 58
"Unseriously?" - seriously? - 15/8/2010 12:06:30 PM   
afearofbuttons

"He's going to hit people and it's going to feel real" - "comic books were...taken unseriously?" I hope Andrew Macdonald isn't writing the thing! vocabulary of a two year old. And gritty? realistic? Has he even read the comic?

Post #: 59
RE: Not really an exclusive when it was announced last ... - 15/8/2010 12:22:09 PM   
raclements

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

raclements - if you have a problem with another user use the report button please, don't attack them and make accusations in thread.

Fair enough.
I can't actually see a 'report post' button- but then again, he's doing a fine enough job of proving me right without it.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> RE: Not really an exclusive when it was announced last month Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI