Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: it's electro. prick.

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: it's electro. prick. Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: it's electro. prick. - 17/8/2010 4:13:20 PM   
Rgirvan44

FILM MAGAZINE TALKS ABOUT FILM!
Demands for End to "Film Discussion”

The country was this week plunged into crisis when it was revealed that Empire Magazine, which purports to be a "film” magazine, decided to award a film a rating.  

The incident happened when a member of staff at the magazine inadvertently published a review of a film and awarded points, or "stars” to the piece. The rating has attracted widespread condemnation and accusations that Empire has sold out/unwilling to say the film sucked/are idiots for not seeing how good the film was. A UN Resolution was submitted last night calling for the blockade of the UK until the review had been withdrawn.

"This situation is intolerable” said Rixxxx34, a member of the magazines online community. "I don't come here to read about films and then have them rated!”

Furthermore, it has been revealed that Empire Magazine has had a long history of publishing "previews” of films. Investigators have found that over the years the Empire staff have engaged in showing on set previews, interviews with cast and crews and "exclusive pictures” of upcoming movies to impressionable adults.

DaredevilRulz, another forum commentator and self confessed magazine reader said: "All I wanted to look at was the adverts when I saw these horrid articles. I can't stop thinking about the previews. It is very distressing.”

The UK Government Minister for Reviews, Bill Billy Bill Bob MP, said "I think it would be appropriate for Empire to apologise for reviewing a film, and retract any commentary or viewpoint that isn't 100% neutral. A lot of work has been undertaken to stop film enthusiasts in local communities, and these actions hamper those efforts”.

Following large scale protests in London, where copies of the magazine were burned in mass effigy, the staff of Empire Towers were seen escaping into a helicopter.  

The leader of the protest, A Mr. Steve McDaSack, from Guernsey, said "I thought we had all learned our lesson after Kick Ass, Attack of the Clones, Superman, Spiderman 3, Avatar, Inception, The Phantom Menace, Terminator Salvation, The Dark Knight, Indiana Jones and The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen, Star Trek, Cloverfield, Watchmen, Slumdog Millionaire, There Will be Blood, Drag Me to Hell, Twilight, District 9, The Mist, X Men Origins: Wolverine, Taken, Rambo, Harry Potter, Inglorious Basterds…”

Jonathan Ross was not available for comment.

< Message edited by Rgirvan44 -- 17/8/2010 4:18:13 PM >

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

Post #: 151
RE: Scott Pilgrim Vs The World - 17/8/2010 4:24:06 PM   
skypotter

I came on here to read what people thought of Scott Pilgrim who may have seen it at Movie-Con or are in the states. What I got was a load of whining about empire magazine and website, just a tought but if you don't like it don't read it - simples.

I'm looking forward to Scott Pilgrim, trailers make it look like a fun time. I'm not bothered if it doesn't do well in the states, as long as it's available to watch in it's original version over here (Grindhouse I'm looking at you). Wright is a great director, Spaced, Shaun and Fuzz prove he can do comedy and action so the film should be good. If people have an issue with a score - why not scrap the rating and let the words speak for themselves, scores cause more problems than they are worth, games magazines have the same problem all the time.

Anyhoo- just my ten-penneth!

Laters

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 152
RE: Five stars, What a surpise - 17/8/2010 4:32:05 PM   
Y2Neildotcom

I saw this at MovieCon. I loved it.

I've not read the source material so can't comment on that but I've heard it's not too faithful. Still, great music, great performances. The trailer I saw on TV last night does not do this film justice.

I'd give it five stars. I thoroughly enjoyed it from start to finish.

| www.y2neil.com |

"You kill or you die. Or you die then you kill".

"Your B.F's about to get F'd in the B!"

(in reply to theieuan)
Post #: 153
RE: Five stars, What a surpise - 17/8/2010 4:35:16 PM   
Ethanial

It's actually pretty damn faithful, 'cept the hysterical deviation at the end.

Fresh update 2010
Original update 2005.

(in reply to Y2Neildotcom)
Post #: 154
RE: Five stars, What a surpise - 17/8/2010 4:36:06 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ethanial

It's actually pretty damn faithful, 'cept the hysterical deviation at the end.

Dev's in this?

And he's funny? That is a twist!

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Ethanial)
Post #: 155
RE: correction - 17/8/2010 5:12:12 PM   
The Hooded Man

If nothing else it will be interesting to see Michael Cera play a socially awkward, geeky teen on the cusp of the manhood spending a movie trying to win over a hot chick. It's a real change of direction for him ... wait a minute!

Counting the minutes until the over zealous mods lock this thread too.
Post #: 156
RE: correction - 17/8/2010 5:19:31 PM   
BelfastBoy

Folks, it's OK if people on this forum don't like the film, because Kevin Smith, Quentin Tarantino and Jason Reitman have all given it the thumbs up:

http://thefilmstage.com/2010/03/03/exclusive-kevin-smith-talks-scott-pilgrim-vs-the-world/

Also, I don't have any issues with the actual content of the Empire review itself, although it's very obviously written by a fan. But, it inadvertantly describes exactly the reasons why I don't want to see the film:

"There’s a deep and abiding love of gaming running through this, from the Street Fighter-like tableaux at the beginning of each fight (a ghostly “Vs” hanging in the air between the two opponents) to the touches of 8-bit animation in many of the fights. For fans of gaming (which this writer emphatically isn’t) there are no doubt in-jokes galore, but you’ll barely need to have walked past an amusement arcade to appreciate the artistry with which games and movie have been welded together here."

I fully intend to check out the soundtrack in the very near future though.
Post #: 157
RE: correction - 17/8/2010 5:49:09 PM   
BOHEMIANBOB

quote:

ORIGINAL: The Hooded Man

If nothing else it will be interesting to see Michael Cera play a socially awkward, geeky teen on the cusp of the manhood spending a movie trying to win over a hot chick. It's a real change of direction for him ... wait a minute!

So true-what will he do in 10 years?He's the new Macauley Culkin.

Misunderstood.
Don't care.
Have you seen my stolen signature?!

(in reply to The Hooded Man)
Post #: 158
RE: correction - 17/8/2010 5:54:16 PM   
Deviation

quote:

He doesn't spend the film winning a hot chick...He gets her pretty early in the film.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

Post #: 159
RE: - 17/8/2010 5:56:40 PM   
BOHEMIANBOB

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dr Science

I think it would also have been very wise if someone other than Helen had written the review - especially considering that she wrote this blog about Scott Pilgrim Book 5 before the movie adaptation had even been announced:

http://www.empireonline.com/empireblogs/empire-states/post/p369

I assume that she pulled rank on this one - but for credibility's sake maybe they should have given the assignment to someone with less of an emotional attachment to the source material.

I'm not saying it's a bad review - just that she has left herself open to exactly the kind of rabid ranting that this review is receiving

It wasn't a smart move,but hey,nobody died for goodness sake!!
The least smart thing wasn't that she wrote it,but having a swipe at the other 2 films was a bit silly and as we all know here,you are going to get a reaction with that.Think she was just a bit pissed off that Pilgrim did poorly at the box office.
Anyhows,let's move on.
I'll have to see this after the fuss-clever maketing or what

Misunderstood.
Don't care.
Post #: 160
RE: - 17/8/2010 6:56:52 PM   
Piles

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dr Science

I think it would also have been very wise if someone other than Helen had written the review - especially considering that she wrote this blog about Scott Pilgrim Book 5 before the movie adaptation had even been announced:

http://www.empireonline.com/empireblogs/empire-states/post/p369

I assume that she pulled rank on this one - but for credibility's sake maybe they should have given the assignment to someone with less of an emotional attachment to the source material.

I'm not saying it's a bad review - just that she has left herself open to exactly the kind of rabid ranting that this review is receiving

But most of the people who will buy EMPIRE and will want to the see the film will have surely read the book too, so surely Helen is the ideal person to review it.

Top 100 Moz Songs / Top 100 Films
Post #: 161
RE: RE: - 17/8/2010 9:36:48 PM   
nhassell

Have just got back from a screening tonight. A massively enjoyable film, and just as good as Kick-Ass. 5 stars from me, too.

This Is The End - ***
Man Of Steel - ***
The Great Gatsby - ***
Iron Man 3 - ***
Evil Dead - ***

(in reply to Piles)
Post #: 162
RE: - 17/8/2010 11:02:47 PM   
scarlin

I saw Scott Pilgrim at Movie Con and i loved it! I thought it was a lot of fun. As someone steeped in comics and video games and music it may appeal more to me than some cinema goers i admit, but it was just a riot. I hear accusations that Michael Cera always plays the same roles. So what? He does what he does quite well. I also thought Ellan Wong and Chris Evans were excellent too. The film was almost 2 hours long but it did not drag at all, it was just right. Im giving it 5 stars. You know i might even say it was better than Kick Ass. I cannot wait to see it again. And if you think Empire have over hyped it then you are mistaking that for their sheer enthusiasm for a film that just rocks!

Good, bad, i'm the guy with the gun.
Post #: 163
RE: RE: - 17/8/2010 11:28:03 PM   
hatebox

It would be kind of interesting, and increasingly pertinent, to have a discussion on what the difference is between a 4 and 5 star film, but I suppose this isn't the thread for it. 

(in reply to scarlin)
Post #: 164
RE: RE: - 17/8/2010 11:33:48 PM   
BOHEMIANBOB

Was also thinking along the same lines-and also Empire's approach to how it promotes films in general given the remarks in this thread.Could be a good debate.
You wanna start it in the Musings thread?

Misunderstood.
Don't care.

(in reply to hatebox)
Post #: 165
RE: RE: - 18/8/2010 12:07:51 AM   
Epiphany Demon

quote:

ORIGINAL: hatebox

It would be kind of interesting, and increasingly pertinent, to have a discussion on what the difference is between a 4 and 5 star film, but I suppose this isn't the thread for it. 

It says up the top of the reviews section. 4 stars is for a very good film, 5 is for a masterpiece or classic, I believe.

THE ALTERNATIVE LOOK AT BOB DYLAN'S DISCOGRAPHY - ONE DAY MAYBE I'LL FINISH IT

(in reply to hatebox)
Post #: 166
RE: RE: - 18/8/2010 12:14:55 AM   
BOHEMIANBOB

I haven't seen this.
But,in the face of some vile nonsense on various threads around the forum,i will see it tomorrow,even though i wasn't going to.
Now i hope it's decent

Misunderstood.
Don't care.

(in reply to Epiphany Demon)
Post #: 167
RE: RE: - 18/8/2010 9:07:39 AM   
BOHEMIANBOB

It's not on in Ireland yet??!!
Were they previews that the people here seen?
It must be out this weekend??

Misunderstood.
Don't care.

(in reply to BOHEMIANBOB)
Post #: 168
RE: correction - 18/8/2010 9:09:36 AM   
Dr Lenera

quote:

ORIGINAL: BelfastBoy

Folks, it's OK if people on this forum don't like the film, because Kevin Smith, Quentin Tarantino and Jason Reitman have all given it the thumbs up:

http://thefilmstage.com/2010/03/03/exclusive-kevin-smith-talks-scott-pilgrim-vs-the-world/

That's hardly a recomendation to me! I don't much rate any of them, not anymore anyway. Personally I think Scot Pilgrim looks atrocious, but I'll still go see it. I thought Inception would be poo and I loved it!

check out more of my reviews on http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/

(in reply to BelfastBoy)
Post #: 169
RE: RE: - 18/8/2010 10:04:07 AM   
hatebox

quote:

ORIGINAL: Epiphany Demon

quote:

It says up the top of the reviews section. 4 stars is for a very good film, 5 is for a masterpiece or classic, I believe.

Yes, but then the discussion would be about what the difference is between those two definitions. I haven't seen Scott Pilgrim - maybe it really is a 'classic' that people will still love and cherish in 20 years time and will change the the genre forever.Or maybe not. That's the trouble I suppose - we can't tell yet.

< Message edited by hatebox -- 18/8/2010 10:07:26 AM >

(in reply to Epiphany Demon)
Post #: 170
RE: RE: - 18/8/2010 10:40:37 AM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Epiphany Demon

quote:

Yes, but then the discussion would be about what the difference is between those two definitions. I haven't seen Scott Pilgrim - maybe it really is a 'classic' that people will still love and cherish in 20 years time and will change the the genre forever.Or maybe not. That's the trouble I suppose - we can't tell yet.

Although everyone in this thread who has seen it has either said its either good or amazing.

(in reply to hatebox)
Post #: 171
RE: RE: - 18/8/2010 11:19:25 AM   
Pigeon Army

quote:

ORIGINAL: BOHEMIANBOB

It's not on in Ireland yet??!!
Were they previews that the people here seen?
It must be out this weekend??

It's out already in New Zealand, Aus and the US, and we have some members here from those region (eg me). Others must have seen previews.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rinc
She's supposed to be 13! I'd want her to be very attractive though

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat
quote:

ORIGINAL: Pigeon Army
Stop being mean to Deviation

No.

(in reply to BOHEMIANBOB)
Post #: 172
RE: RE: - 18/8/2010 11:32:31 AM   
elab49

We tend to agree that this constant discussion of Empire reviewing rather than discussion of the film itself is actually off-topic in here - given there is already a thread with various rants and some genuine discussions about 5 star reviews and Empire giving them in Empire Online, however, any post would probably be directed there to the relevant existing thread.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to Pigeon Army)
Post #: 173
RE: RE: - 18/8/2010 11:56:29 AM   
The Hooded Man

Saw it last night, self-indulgent tripe that's not half as clever as it thinks it is.

(in reply to scarlin)
Post #: 174
RE: RE: - 18/8/2010 1:54:03 PM   
Deviation

quote:

Saw it last night, self-indulgent tripe that's not half as clever as it thinks it is.

Scott Pilgrim? Self-indulgent?

quote:

There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

Post #: 175
RE: RE: - 18/8/2010 2:31:14 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

Go on....

Post #: 176
RE: RE: - 18/8/2010 2:34:46 PM   
The Hooded Man

I don't want to go down the road of slagging the film off, any more than I have, it's clear a lot of people who have seen it adore it as did the people in my company at the screening, it just wasn't for me but I accept like Inception I'm in a tiny minority on this one.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 177
RE: RE: - 18/8/2010 2:36:33 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

I don't want to go down the road of slagging the film off, any more than I have, it's clear a lot of people who have seen it adore it as did the people in my company at the screening, it just wasn't for me but I accept like Inception I'm in a tiny minority on this one.

Well you don't have to slag it off. Just say what you didn't like - don't think anyone is going to jump down anyones throat for having a view on the film itself. It has been the media around it which has caused this page to explode.

Post #: 178
RE: RE: - 18/8/2010 2:57:13 PM   
Deviation

I thought you liked Inception? 

quote:

quote:

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 179
RE: RE: - 18/8/2010 3:47:13 PM   
The Hooded Man

I thought Inception was good not great, a little muddled in parts but enjoyable on the most part but certainly not the masterpiece I had been expecting. Pilgrim's a well made film but it does feel to me that it's preaching to the choir a wee bit in that you know exactly how it's going to pan out. Cera's presence is a bit of a problem for me, he's by no means rubbish but he gives the same performance he always does and you know exactly how it's going to pan out because his parts always follow the same trajectory. If I hadn't seen Nick and Norah, Juno and Youth In Revolt I probably would have loved this but it feels a little smug in parts to me and there's a sense of riffing off other films.
It isn't tripe by the way, that's far too obtuse an observation, but it didn't really rock my world but visually it looked great, almost too great, in the sense that the characters are completely forgotten about and everybody's ego seems to be out of control. Chris Evans' character might have been brilliant if Tropic Thunder hadn't already done the same thing for example, with an actor who makes ludicrous action films.

< Message edited by The Hooded Man -- 18/8/2010 3:52:58 PM >

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 180
Page:   <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: it's electro. prick. Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI