Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Target Audience?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Target Audience? Page: <<   < prev  14 15 [16] 17 18   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Target Audience? - 10/3/2011 7:41:19 PM   
bozo

Wow, we really have a love/hate thing here. My experience was the same - I love the film, but I've watched it with 6-7 other people (on two occasions) and 2 absolutely hated it, while the rest thoroughly enjoyed it.

(in reply to rosiedoes)
Post #: 451
Not Wright's Best - 23/3/2011 9:30:41 PM   
bnicholson50

Fuzz & Shaun were better. Empire gave em 4 stars. should've got five. you cared about the characters in those films. I didnt care what happened to anyone in this film. Wright achieved this concept better in Spaced with the Tim/Daisey tekken arguement. Pilgrim's saving grace is the aesthetic of the film and it's great fights scenes. 4 stars for achieving something unique.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 452
Pilgrim - 26/3/2011 5:13:59 PM   
3DCandyland

I loved this movie alot. I think think that it's a film where your mind will need time to process the imagery. Essentially it's a rom-com from the male's (Michael Cera's) perspective, one that shows the honest truth of our halve being afraid of commitment and wanting what we can't have. Of course, it has that layer of added 'awesomeness'. You get accustomed to the humour and comic-book style quickly, but the action is where you'll decide whether you love or hate this movie. The first time when it got to the Evil ex #1 fight with Patel, I just thought 'oh..' as in 'this is kinda shit'. But if your mind can get over it's video-game vide, you may begin to love it. Granted, it's not for everyone, in particular those that are accustomed to more solid, grounded films, or those who can't stomach a oft-frantic palette of the varying elements this film offers. But if an not-too-honerable prince of the arcade-playing, indie-music-sounding, manga/comic readers in general generation on a quest for the hand of his fiesty love (lovely M. Elizabeth Winstead) by taking on 7 evil exes with different strength's and weaknesses sounds like you're type of flick, than this is for you. Or maybe you just want a bubblegum-version of Kickass :-)

Post #: 453
RE: RE: - 30/4/2011 1:27:11 AM   
scary_ice

quote:

ORIGINAL: BelfastBoy

Firstly, it's not a 5* film, but I'll be generous and say it's 3* at best. It succeeds on the level of being entertaining most of the time, but there are lots of major flaws present. However, I'm happy to say I was wrong when I said that it would be puerile garbage. There's actually a lot to like about the film, but I'm still confused who the intended target market was supposed to be. The storyline is utterly bonkers and, in the basic sense, totally predictable. At risk of over-analysing the material, it doesn't have anything profound to say about relationships - would I be alone in preferring the alternative ending? In truth, I don't think that Scott deserves either Knives or Ramona, but there's nothing onscreen that convinced me that he and the latter character are actually a compatible couple. But then again, none of the characters are given much of a chance to develop anyway. This is a flaw from the source material which is obviously a comic book. By the way, I personally find it hard to use the term 'graphic novel', because that's just a nonsense phrase made up by adults who like to convince themselves that what they're reading isn't a comic. In my opinion, if the story's got more pictures than words, it's a comic, no matter how mature the themes and imagery may be!)

This leads me on to the acting. Having not read the source, I've no idea what Scott is like on the page. But on film, he's selfish and unlikeable, and that's not actually Michael Cera's fault. He gives his typical performance, but with the added value of some very impressive stuntwork. In short, he does his best with a character who I'm amazed that any female would find appealing. (I did appreciate the running visual joke about his crap, self-cut hair and frequently appearing hat though.) Now, Chris Hewitt's DVD review commented on Mary Elizabeth Winstead's Ramona being a casting mistake, but I'd disagree. I think she did a great job making Ramona enigmatic and mysterious, visually and in terms of her personality evoking a character who would seem exciting and different to Canadians! Even when hampered by truly horrendous hairstyles and outfits, she also managed to make Ramona surprisingly sexy too. Ellen Wong as Knives stole the film for me though, with a wonderful range of facial expressions radiating sympathy even when she's being a demented stalker for much of the film! (By the way, given the film's frequent self awareness, I was hoping someone would break the fourth wall and ask why her character was called 'Knives' - alas, I was disappointed!) But, given the talent involved, I have to say that a lot of the supporting actors were awful. Many of the Evil Exes were given so little screentime that they'd no option apart from horrendous exaggeration to make an impression. I never thought that Jason Schwartzman (did I spell that right?) could ever be a convincing swordsman, but that's pretty much all he did well. But, Chris Evans is very funny, although I thought it a little too demeaning to finish him off in a skateboarding accident rather than in mortal combat. Also, was there any reason why the fights could only take place at night, in public? Will Brandon Routh ever get another big break though? He deserves better than a desperately poor wig and eyes straight out of Big Trouble In Little China!

I'll say it again - Anna Kendrick, why were you associated with this nonsense? You were nominated for an Oscar, for God's sake! You also looked older than Michael Cera which is unfortunate as you were playing Scott's younger sister!

I'm rambling as usual, but I want to try and accentuate the positives rather than being negative. The film is visually stunning, terrifically inventive and with some sensational action scenes. Also, Rory Culkin, where have you been all this time? I thought he was great. But, for all the praise heaped on the soundtrack, I'm going to have to disagree. I didn't like any of the songs and the 'garage band' ethic was too strictly applied to a load of badly performed and basic material. Ultimately, I find it hard to assess SPVTW without being critical, because I want to say that it's great, but it just isn't. It's a glorious, hyper-real mess of colour and invention, but it's not a great film. The technical triumphs don't do enough to obscure a wafer-thin story that fails because the 'love triangle' at its heart is so wrong that all three characters should run away from each other. I'll watch it again but somehow I don't think that I'll ever 'get' it, or love it the way that many of you seem to.

I don't think it's a 5* film because, at the end of it, I don't feel moved or educated at all. I'm briefly entertained, but then it's gone without making that lasting impression that true classics can. Inception left me with a head full of questions. The King's Speech captivated me with sensational acting and the titular Speech itself, a moment of spellbinding cinematic magic. In terms of comparisons, I use these because they're genuine 5* films, challenging and mature. Again, I keep on coming back to the question of who this film was intended for? Is it Edgar Wright's fault for shoehorning in too many videogame homages? I don't know, but although I fully accept that although SPVTW is far from garbage, I ultimately think it's still pretty juvenile. I expect that many will passionately disagree, but given the talent involved, I was hoping for more. I'm not criticising anyone for enjoying either the film or the source material, but I can find nothing in the former other than superficial entertainment. I'll go for 3* and be generous - taking into account the film itself and the fantastic array of extras on the DVD. The cast and crew's enthusiasm for the project is enough to win over my cynical heart!

Can anyone spot the blatant contradiction in this post?

I know this was posted ages ago but I haven't checked this thread in a while. If you had read the books you would see how the characters are far more developed as they have hundreds of pages to do so. There is far more down-time just hanging around with them as they do normal stuff and we get to see more of their relationships with each other and their backgrounds. That's the advantage of a comic see? Condensing it all into a 105 minute film means all of that has to go out the window resulting in the increasingly breakneck pace of the movie.

(in reply to BelfastBoy)
Post #: 454
RE: RE: - 6/5/2011 12:12:53 AM   
gunstar

It's like Speed Racer for adults. Shite.

< Message edited by gunstar -- 6/5/2011 12:14:52 AM >

'We can take these Deadites! We can take them.....with science."

"We'll get 'em. We'll throw the book at them. Assault and kidnapping. Assault with a gun and a bourbon and a sports car."

"Falcon! Grab my ankles!"

(in reply to scary_ice)
Post #: 455
RE: RE: - 6/5/2011 4:06:43 PM   
Drone

Wasn't impressed - smacked of trendy alt culture types gushing over t at the local hook-up theater, and giving it the full hipster breakdown, references and faithfulness to the comics et al.

Unlike many others who have seen it, I'm sure - I have actually read the comics (or do we consider them graphic novels?  Wait, I... don't care) and I wasnt impressed by those either.

(in reply to gunstar)
Post #: 456
junthegun - 12/6/2011 6:27:46 PM   
junthegun

Hated it! It was boring, daft and was a chore to sit through it. If it is like marmite I am firmly in the "i hate it" camp.

Post #: 457
junthegun - 12/6/2011 6:27:49 PM   
junthegun

Hated it! It was boring, daft and was a chore to sit through it. If it is like marmite I am firmly in the "i hate it" camp.

Post #: 458
A Triumph of Expressionism - 13/6/2011 10:13:56 AM   
Silvertouch

How can you dislike this and call yourself a film fan?

Post #: 459
RE: A Triumph of Expressionism - 2/7/2011 10:30:24 PM   
Joe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Silvertouch

Because it lacks engaging, developed characters and an involving plot maybe?

"Manchester United is the club, it is football. A culture of the “beau jeu”, a philosophy that has been existing for years. How to win with class. I am still madly in love with it."
Eric Cantona

(in reply to Silvertouch)
Post #: 460
RE: A Triumph of Expressionism - 3/7/2011 8:01:49 PM   
gunstar

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Silvertouch

Because it lacks engaging, developed characters and an involving plot maybe?

BOOYA!!!

'We can take these Deadites! We can take them.....with science."

"We'll get 'em. We'll throw the book at them. Assault and kidnapping. Assault with a gun and a bourbon and a sports car."

"Falcon! Grab my ankles!"

(in reply to Joe)
Post #: 461
RE: A Triumph of Expressionism - 5/7/2011 7:05:12 AM   
jobloffski

I like the core idea of the film. If you want someone to fall in love with you, you have to be someone who can 'defeat' the memories they have of relationships that went wrong. In other words, you have to defeat their evil exes. And if you can, you will appear to be heroic.

Can't be arsed to read the whole thread to find out whether anyone else made a similar comment, but no matter how outrageously visualised the film is, it IS actually about something.

(in reply to gunstar)
Post #: 462
RE: A Triumph of Expressionism - 5/7/2011 1:32:56 PM   
the anomaly

Finally saw this recently as it's just been on Sky.

Overall I enjoyed it but it's shame they don't tackle everything that's in the book.

I think the visual style, casting and battles were handled well and would have loved to have seen two films to tackle the story.

The books provide each of the main characters and supporting ones with a story arc and you get to know them a lot more. In the film everything just flies by and whilst you get the jist of thing's you don't get to fall in love with all the characters.

So in short I think if your a fan in one way you can over look this and watch it as it compliments the books but it isn't the full story.

quote:

ORIGINAL: BelfastBoy
But then again, none of the characters are given much of a chance to develop anyway. This is a flaw from the source material which is obviously a comic book. By the way, I personally find it hard to use the term 'graphic novel', because that's just a nonsense phrase made up by adults who like to convince themselves that what they're reading isn't a comic. In my opinion, if the story's got more pictures than words, it's a comic, no matter how mature the themes and imagery may be!)

Nope. It's the film that' crammed 6 books worth of content into a 100 mins running time. The comics deal the characters a whole lot more.

Funny you mentioned you hated Scott as you get a similar feeling in the books ... especially after the second one which goes into everyones past a whole lot more. Yet the film explains Scott's previous loves a few mins as he & Ramona walk into that club she mentions Envy, Kim etc and that's it. When there's pretty much a whole book going through Scotts past.

So I agree there it's a shame but it's not the comic that's at fault but the movie. The movie only deals with the main love triangle in the film and not much more than that.

< Message edited by the anomaly -- 5/7/2011 1:43:37 PM >

(in reply to jobloffski)
Post #: 463
scott pilgrim review - 7/7/2011 7:15:49 PM   
massacretheatre

Edgar Wright's "Scott Pilgrim vs. The World" makes no effort to hide the fact that it attempts to court the geek audience from the off, see the Nintendo-esque remix of the Universal theme before the film has even started for example. What follows this is an array of computer game references, a story that doesn't manage to connect with it's characters or it's audience, frames with far too much going on - so much so that, although visually impressive, it is impossible to take it all in.

Edgar Wright (Shaun of the Dead, Hot Fuzz, and TV series Spaced) takes a step away from his highly succsesful British comedy formula that has won him acclaim at home and abroad, and jumps into the world of the ultra-high budget comic book adaptation blockbuster in which Scott Pilgrim (Michael Cera) must defeat the seven evil ex-boyfriends that stand in the way of him and his dream girl being together.

This premise, much like the film, is a love letter to the computer games it references at every turn, and oh my GOD if there is one thing that every computer gamer knows it is this - there is nothing more boring than watching one of your friends play a computer game that you are not invested in personally, the worst thing about "Scott Pilgrim" is that 1. you don't know the person who is playing the computer game (and this IS more like a computer game than a film) so you can't substitute it in your head as time well spent with each other, and 2. your paying about 6 pounds for it.

The concept of the film splits the narrative structure into what feels like seven, totally unconnected, short films. The episodic nature of the screenplay makes it impossible to not feel bored throughout, it wholeheartedly banks on the audience to lap up reference after reference (after reference) and forget that there is actually a story to be told.

The most poignant moment in "Scott Pilgrim" is when one of the battles will be against twins, sparking around the cinema an unspoken relief, with the audience thanking Jesus, Mohammed, Buddha or whoever Apu from the Simpsons worships (I think it's Vishnu) that this next bore fest of a fight will count for two in Michael "oh yeah, like, totally, thats so radical" Cera's quest to defeat the seven evil ex's.

If "Scott Pilgrim vs. The World" proves anything, it is that kooky characters who seem to be walking/talking pop culture encyclopedia's doesn't substitute for a solid narrative.

(in reply to the anomaly)
Post #: 464
RE: scott pilgrim review - 26/7/2011 5:09:54 PM   
brucejackiejet

Really didn't take to this film - the visuals are undoubtably interesting and unique and I did really like the video game theme, but the main characters were just completely unlikeable. 

Michael Cera appears to be playing his usually geekish nerd, only even more wooden and charisma-less than usual. Scott Pilgrim is so whiny, whimpy and selfish that I found myself rooting for Chris Evans or Brandon Routh to just finish him off and be done with it. On top of that, sure Ramona is attractive, but she appears to be so aloof and 'too cool for school' throughout the entire thing that I can't imagine dating anyone worse. Consequently I can't see why on earth we were supposed to be rooting for these two to get together.

Overall some nice ideas visually and interesting special effects, but completely disengaging for me due to unsympathetic characters.  

(in reply to massacretheatre)
Post #: 465
RE: Scott Pilgrim Vs The World - 26/7/2011 6:25:44 PM   
captainrentboy

Watched it for the second time on Blu Ray last night, just to see if it was the initial hype that damaged my cinema viewing, and the conclusion is that it's most definitely not one for me.
The soundtrack, editing, special effects and action sequences range from good to fantastic. But that 'oh so cool' script just makes my ears bleed.
I'm sure lots of folk adore it, but it just doesn't hit the spot for me. I laughed maybe twice, courtesy of Evans and Routh, other than that it bored me stiff.

And I know it's kind of the point, but Cera, and his wobbly flobby chin, just isn't believable in any of the fights. He has the look of a man who would be obliterated by a particularly strong breeze.
2/5

Post #: 466
RE: Scott Pilgrim Vs The World - 28/7/2011 4:40:38 PM   
st3veebee

I havent watched this in around 6 months or so, but there goes:

PROS:

-Fight sequences quite unlike anything you have seen before: visually dynamic and stunning.

-Nice soundtrack by Beck.

-Inventive camerawork and constant pop-culture dialogue keeps things running at a nice pace

-Just stupidly entertaining

-Good performances from Evans, Routh, Winstead and of course Culkin who steals any scene he is in.

-Any fans of retro-ish games will surely find the references and nods endlessly entertaining

CONS:

-Cera is just Cera (A pro or con depending on your own taste)

-Kendrick and Schwartzman seemed miscast.

-Forgettable plot and lack of on screen chemistry between two leads means that the romantic side of the film drags and leads to nowhere.

-It is very difficult to really root for Pilgrim as he has no apparent good qualities. And he is a bit of a prick.

-End is a let down. More of a whimper than a bang.

-I really disliked that ginger drummer.

But it is just so bloody entertaining I have to give it 4 stars. I left with a big smile on my face.

Latest Films:

Two days in New York: 4/5

Prometheus: 3.5/5

Abe Lincoln: VH 3/5

Twin Peaks: FWWM 3.5/5

(in reply to captainrentboy)
Post #: 467
RE: Scott Pilgrim Vs The World - 28/7/2011 9:48:32 PM   
darth silas

Fun but forgettable.Its a 2 star film at most.

Star Wars:Episodes 1,2,3,4,5,6.Taken together they are one giant movie and it is the greatest movie EVER.

(in reply to st3veebee)
Post #: 468
RE: Scott Pilgrim Vs The World - 28/7/2011 10:13:02 PM   
BatFan

Without a shadow of a doubt one of my favourite films of all time. Of All time!

"You are in hell, little man! And I am the devil!"
"You're not the devil. You're practice"

(in reply to darth silas)
Post #: 469
RE: Scott Pilgrim Vs The World - 28/7/2011 10:57:15 PM   
theoriginalcynic

I love this movie! The first time I watched it (at the cinema) I thought it was ok.  It went on too long and I was waiting for it to finish.  Different experience at home, I could stop and start the film, watching in chunks, slowly appreciating it's genius.  The third time I watched it (in one sitting) it became one of my favourite films. 

< Message edited by theoriginalcynic -- 28/7/2011 10:58:33 PM >

(in reply to BatFan)
Post #: 470
RE: Scott Pilgrim Vs The World - 29/7/2011 3:28:19 PM   
st3veebee

quote:

ORIGINAL: darth silas

You give films that you found fun 2 stars?? (at most at that as well). I presume you give bad films minus stars then.

Latest Films:

Two days in New York: 4/5

Prometheus: 3.5/5

Abe Lincoln: VH 3/5

Twin Peaks: FWWM 3.5/5

(in reply to darth silas)
Post #: 471
RE: Scott Pilgrim Vs The World - 29/7/2011 4:44:26 PM   
homersimpson_esq

quote:

ORIGINAL: st3veebee

I really disliked that ginger drummer.

[image]http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-YDTdUn8Ilbg/TanAjfga3XI/AAAAAAAAAQ0/yND6i2D8BKo/s400/kim%2Bpine.jpg[/image]

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to st3veebee)
Post #: 472
RE: Scott Pilgrim Vs The World - 29/7/2011 7:55:21 PM   
theoriginalcynic

W-h-a-t? She's gorgeous, go Kim. She's my favourite character.

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 473
RE: Scott Pilgrim Vs The World - 29/7/2011 10:15:50 PM   
durelius

Wow surprised to see people not liking this, what I saw was a very original different film that was funny with interesting characters. " Tell it to the cleaning lady on Monday"

I'm not going to nuke the dog!

(in reply to theoriginalcynic)
Post #: 474
RE: Scott Pilgrim Vs The World - 30/7/2011 2:56:34 PM   
darth silas

quote:

ORIGINAL: st3veebee

quote:

ORIGINAL: darth silas

You give films that you found fun 2 stars?? (at most at that as well). I presume you give bad films minus stars then.

It was fun but not THAT much fun.I didnt think it was an awful film,just watchable.Hence my 2 star average review.Another case of Empire overating a film to the extreme and didnt meet my expectations.

Star Wars:Episodes 1,2,3,4,5,6.Taken together they are one giant movie and it is the greatest movie EVER.

(in reply to st3veebee)
Post #: 475
You gotta love - 30/7/2011 10:35:38 PM   
trainedasninja

Theres alot to like about Scott Pilgrim Vs the World, it is ambitious and very imaginitive which is great to see in a film. It is very funny also and the action scenes sure do delight that nerd inside of you. However I think although it is highly entertertaing it does at times strike high on the weirdo meter on first viewing. The characters are hugely likeable too, especially its lead Micheal Cera who provides a fresh take one being charismatically the most unlikeliest hero on screen.

< Message edited by trainedasninja -- 21/8/2011 12:06:49 AM >

Post #: 476
can and will watch again and again! - 1/10/2011 3:07:10 AM   
JackAttwood

the acting, characters, humour, effects and climax are perfect, a unique film.

Post #: 477
Scott Pilgrim vs. the World Review - 29/2/2012 1:46:04 AM   
the film man

Its script may not be as dazzling as its eye-popping visuals, but Scott Pilgrim vs. the World is fast, funny, and inventive.

Post #: 478
RE: Scott Pilgrim vs. the World Review - 4/3/2012 11:08:59 PM   
Rgirvan44

Still a damn fine film.

And this thread in retrospect was hilarious.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to the film man)
Post #: 479
RE: Scott Pilgrim vs. the World Review - 5/3/2012 1:16:37 AM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

I really enjoyed this film,though its visual style took a while for me to click into gear with regards to where it was going.
The acting was good,the action scenes were over the top and enjoyably manic and the story was different and fresh (though I didi browse through the comics beforehand).

4/5

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 480
Page:   <<   < prev  14 15 [16] 17 18   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Target Audience? Page: <<   < prev  14 15 [16] 17 18   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI