Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Won't be watching

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Won't be watching Page: <<   < prev  13 14 [15] 16 17   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Won't be watching - 16/1/2011 6:16:50 PM   
Spaldron

Whats interesting is that both Pilgrim and Kick Ass were given such huge praise by the British media and yet mostly ignored or dismissed elsewhere. I mean they were enjoyable in a "I have to be in the right kind of mood to enjoy this" kind of way but 5 stars?! Seriously you're rating these films alongside The Godfather etc? Me no fink so.
Peronally I suspect more than a little bias in certain UK publications.

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 421
RE: Won't be watching - 16/1/2011 7:44:37 PM   
Keyser Sozzled

I had posted this on the other Pilgrim thread in Favourite movies but it's probably more appropriate here....

Watched this last night. Firstly Scott Pilgrim is the reason for Blu Ray, simple as that-the transfer is amazing.

In terms of the film. You can easily see the through line from Spaced, to Shaun, to Hot Fuzz to Pilgrim. And it works. Epically.

The direction and editing were for me the biggest surprise. Whilst Wrights previous movies have had some great moments, he had not really shown that he the ability to be as visually interesting or inventive as Pilgrim is. HF showed he can do pastiche very well, Pilgrim shoes he can direct action sequences on a par with anyone else. The "Amp-Off" scene against the twins is so willfully absurd and downright fun that it's worth the price of admission alone. That's not to say the Pilgrim is all fur coat and no knickers, it has a real, believable beating heart of a complicated relationship between Scott, Ramona and Knives and whilst the theme of "doing to them what has been done to you" i is perhaps not as fully fleshed out as it could be the movie illustrates that not every movie romance has to finish with the lead running after a moving train to declare his undying love.

The other ares which Pilgrim really surprised me is that the treatment of some of the peripheral charatcers. You go in believing "The Talent" is going to be too cool for school however he is shown to be as neurotic as anyone else. The realy trump card though in the cast of charatcers was undoubtedly Wallace, played note perfectly by Kieran Culkin (a phrase I didn't think I would ever write). Wallace is gay but there are no histronics, no "I'm different but the same" moments and no concessions made due to the characters sexuality. Wallace IS just like everyone else. He's horny, he likeable, he's looking out for himself to a degree and his sexuaity is totally secondary to all the other attributes. You could argue that this is the most honest and real homosexual character in a mainstream big budget hollywood movie as there ever has been.

Downsides?...The only "battle" that didn't quite do it for me was Scott v Todd. The Vegen thing worked well (a great little aside that vegens are better than everyone else) but it fell a little flat. Chris Evans is wonderfully dense as action star Lucas Lee (Action Doctor: The good news is your going to live. The bad news is he's going to kill you !! & Kiss me, I'm Dying)...and Jason Schwartzmann gives good sleaze as Gideon Gray but I would have liked to see a little more from them in terms of screentime.

I was genuinely surprised at how much I love this movie. It's has heart, it has soul, not to mention a great soundtrack, and more importantly than anything else it is 100% fun.

5/5

I have no idea who any of them are, apart from Terry Pratchett who I know has got a beard and keeps going on about killing himself but never does.

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 422
RE: Won't be watching - 16/1/2011 8:01:41 PM   
Deviation

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spaldron
Seriously you're rating these films alongside The Godfather etc? Me no fink so.

I agree...I much preferred SPvsTW over The Godfather.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 423
RE: Won't be watching - 16/1/2011 8:08:04 PM   
vad3r

Edgar Wright is a thief hack. Every line in this film is in the far superior graphic novels.

Single Virgin Mod Candidate 2013

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives
To paraphrase the great man himself:

Vad3r won't go anywhere near this.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 424
RE: Won't be watching - 16/1/2011 9:22:53 PM   
sanchia

quote:

ORIGINAL: vad3r

Edgar Wright is a thief hack. Every line in this film is in the far superior graphic novels.

I wouldn't go that far. Many of the films based on comic books use them as story boards and this is no exception. The best lines in the film may have originated from the graphic novels. That said having watched it again I still find it a very average film with the charisma free performance from the lead (Cera) and an awful perfomance from Winston which was completely devoid of any allure or appeal to explain why she was so desired dragged it down. I still think the pacing is off with attempts to cram to much into the latter half and failing.

That said it is entertaining enough in a not particularly challenging or exceptional manner. As long as you watch it expecting not a lot you should be happy enough.

< Message edited by sanchia -- 16/1/2011 9:24:35 PM >

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to vad3r)
Post #: 425
Jeez People r Nit-Pickerz Nowadays - 18/1/2011 10:51:36 AM   
Snake 4Skin

I suppose people get a satisfaction about putting sumthin down,especially sumthin' that wears its heart on its sleeve with such irreverancy as Pilgrim.Have to admire Mr Wrights cojonas.He's not jus gettin it from the comic nerds, he's takin it from the snotty music heads 2!Cum on gamers u might aswell join in the kickin!Wot is wrong with you GEEKS!!Empire u r bias,especially when it cumz 2 homegrown talent.But,in this instance ur totally on the money.A 5 star experience if i ever saw 1!I really cant fathom,how sum1 cudnt like this.GodfatherSchmodfather

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 426
RE: Won't be watching - 19/1/2011 11:09:06 AM   
rick_7

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation

quote:

Didn't you used to be nearly cool?

*Wendy Hiller fanboy*

Blog: DJANGO! DUMBO! DESPICABLE ME 2! Plus: other stuff.

"Nothin's really been right since Sam the Lion died."

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 427
RE: Won't be watching - 19/1/2011 12:15:00 PM   
Pigeon Army

quote:

ORIGINAL: rick_7

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation

quote:

Didn't you used to be nearly cool?

1. He never did.
2. He's just trying to impress rawlinson, let him be.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rinc
She's supposed to be 13! I'd want her to be very attractive though

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat
quote:

ORIGINAL: Pigeon Army
Stop being mean to Deviation

No.

(in reply to rick_7)
Post #: 428
RE: Won't be watching - 19/1/2011 1:18:24 PM   
Deviation

rawlinson is overrated though. His opinions on Ginger and Fred made me sick.

quote:

There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

(in reply to Pigeon Army)
Post #: 429
ABSOLUTE GARBAGE..... - 22/1/2011 6:36:05 PM   
chrisdagnall

THIS MOVIE IS UNBELIEVABLY OVERRATED......NOT HALF AS CLEVER AS IT THINKS IT IS, ANNOYING CHARACTERS, POOR ACTING = MAJOR YAWNS..........AVOID!

Post #: 430
Cool Fight Scenes But Bland - 23/1/2011 11:40:37 AM   
joanna likes films

Scott Pilgrim has cool fight scenes, awesome video games and comic book inspirations and er, that's it. The acting is okay but nothing to shout about, the storyline's a bit bland, way too loud even though I had it on a nornal volmue and the characters were a little annoying in places. One to watch via rental if you're curious about it

Post #: 431
Cool Fight Scenes But Bland - 23/1/2011 11:41:03 AM   
joanna likes films

Scott Pilgrim has cool fight scenes, awesome video games and comic book inspirations and er, that's it. The acting is okay but nothing to shout about, the storyline's a bit bland, way too loud even though I had it on a nornal volmue and the characters were a little annoying in places. One to watch via rental if you're curious about it

Post #: 432
Cool Fight Scenes But Bland - 23/1/2011 11:41:15 AM   
joanna likes films

Post #: 433
RE: RE: - 29/1/2011 9:46:24 AM   
BelfastBoy

quote:

ORIGINAL: BelfastBoy

Scott Pilgrim doesn't interest me at all. In fact everything I've read and seen about it indicates an end product that will be utter garbage - juvenile, puerile drivel of the highest order - a glorified video game (even down to 'Level Complete' etc). I almost think it's trying too hard to be cool - obscure comic book adaptation, Beck, Nigel Godrich etc handling the music, Michael Cera playing a sword-wielding variant of his traditional indie slacker. (Anna Kendrick, Chris Evans, why are you associated with this nonsense?!) There also doesn't seem to be any particular surprises in store either - surely there can be no other outcome than Scott prevailing against Ramona's evil ex-partners and thereby winning 'the game' / the girl? I'm sure I'm not alone in this view. I'll not go and see it when it's released.

However, Scott Pilgrim seems to me to have had a disproportionate amount of enthusiastic coverage. The flipside naturally is that those who are looking forward to it must think it's great. Fair enough that the magazine enjoys a good relationship with Edgar Wright, and naturally makes good use of access to his sets. But, for what it's worth (correct me if I'm wrong) Scott Pilgrim is basically an American film that happens to have a British director. How's it really different than any other American summer film? It'll stand or fall on US box office returns, whether it's any good or not, and no amount of praise from Empire is going to change that. (Kick-Ass's worldwide box office of only $96 million would suggest that graphic novel adaptations don't have a huge amount of mass appeal. Not that I want to open another debate on quality vs financial returns, but Scott Pilgrim to me is a film that will have a smallish but very passionate audience, rather than breaking records like a conventional blockbuster.)

For the record,  I'm certainly not anti-Edgar Wright at all. I love Spaced and Hot Fuzz (although not Shaun Of The Dead). I just think that his film has been given far too much coverage in the magazine, that's all. Hopefully some of you out there will agree? Am I the only person who groans when, on opening a new issue of Empire, I'm confronted by more photos of Michael Cera looking like he does in every other film, or Brandon Routh wearing a truly awful costume and wig?!

I thought I'd kick this thread back into life with my somewhat belated impressions of SPVTW. The above comments are a paraphrased version of what I originally posted months ago, so I thought I'd revisit them now that I've actually seen the film. So, here goes, and obviously bear in mind that these are my personal opinions. I don't expect everyone to be in agreement!

Firstly, it's not a 5* film, but I'll be generous and say it's 3* at best. It succeeds on the level of being entertaining most of the time, but there are lots of major flaws present. However, I'm happy to say I was wrong when I said that it would be puerile garbage. There's actually a lot to like about the film, but I'm still confused who the intended target market was supposed to be. The storyline is utterly bonkers and, in the basic sense, totally predictable. At risk of over-analysing the material, it doesn't have anything profound to say about relationships - would I be alone in preferring the alternative ending? In truth, I don't think that Scott deserves either Knives or Ramona, but there's nothing onscreen that convinced me that he and the latter character are actually a compatible couple. But then again, none of the characters are given much of a chance to develop anyway. (This is a flaw from the source material which is obviously a comic book. By the way, I personally find it hard to use the term 'graphic novel', because that's just a nonsense phrase made up by adults who like to convince themselves that what they're reading isn't a comic. In my opinion, if the story's got more pictures than words, it's a comic, no matter how mature the themes and imagery may be!)

This leads me on to the acting. Having not read the source, I've no idea what Scott is like on the page. But on film, he's selfish and unlikeable, and that's not actually Michael Cera's fault. He gives his typical performance, but with the added value of some very impressive stuntwork. In short, he does his best with a character who I'm amazed that any female would find appealing. (I did appreciate the running visual joke about his crap, self-cut hair and frequently appearing hat though.) Now, Chris Hewitt's DVD review commented on Mary Elizabeth Winstead's Ramona being a casting mistake, but I'd disagree. I think she did a great job making Ramona enigmatic and mysterious, visually and in terms of her personality evoking a character who would seem exciting and different to Canadians! Even when hampered by truly horrendous hairstyles and outfits, she also managed to make Ramona surprisingly sexy too. Ellen Wong as Knives stole the film for me though, with a wonderful range of facial expressions radiating sympathy even when she's being a demented stalker for much of the film! (By the way, given the film's frequent self awareness, I was hoping someone would break the fourth wall and ask why her character was called 'Knives' - alas, I was disappointed!) But, given the talent involved, I have to say that a lot of the supporting actors were awful. Many of the Evil Exes were given so little screentime that they'd no option apart from horrendous exaggeration to make an impression. I never thought that Jason Schwartzman (did I spell that right?) could ever be a convincing swordsman, but that's pretty much all he did well. But, Chris Evans is very funny, although I thought it a little too demeaning to finish him off in a skateboarding accident rather than in mortal combat. Also, was there any reason why the fights could only take place at night, in public? Will Brandon Routh ever get another big break though? He deserves better than a desperately poor wig and eyes straight out of Big Trouble In Little China!

I'll say it again - Anna Kendrick, why were you associated with this nonsense? You were nominated for an Oscar, for God's sake! You also looked older than Michael Cera which is unfortunate as you were playing Scott's younger sister!

I'm rambling as usual, but I want to try and accentuate the positives rather than being negative. The film is visually stunning, terrifically inventive and with some sensational action scenes. Also, Rory Culkin, where have you been all this time? I thought he was great. But, for all the praise heaped on the soundtrack, I'm going to have to disagree. I didn't like any of the songs and the 'garage band' ethic was too strictly applied to a load of badly performed and basic material. Ultimately, I find it hard to assess SPVTW without being critical, because I want to say that it's great, but it just isn't. It's a glorious, hyper-real mess of colour and invention, but it's not a great film. The technical triumphs don't do enough to obscure a wafer-thin story that fails because the 'love triangle' at its heart is so wrong that all three characters should run away from each other. I'll watch it again but somehow I don't think that I'll ever 'get' it, or love it the way that many of you seem to.

I don't think it's a 5* film because, at the end of it, I don't feel moved or educated at all. I'm briefly entertained, but then it's gone without making that lasting impression that true classics can. Inception left me with a head full of questions. The King's Speech captivated me with sensational acting and the titular Speech itself, a moment of spellbinding cinematic magic. In terms of comparisons, I use these because they're genuine 5* films, challenging and mature. Again, I keep on coming back to the question of who this film was intended for? Is it Edgar Wright's fault for shoehorning in too many videogame homages? I don't know, but although I fully accept that although SPVTW is far from garbage, I ultimately think it's still pretty juvenile. I expect that many will passionately disagree, but given the talent involved, I was hoping for more. I'm not criticising anyone for enjoying either the film or the source material, but I can find nothing in the former other than superficial entertainment. I'll go for 3* and be generous - taking into account the film itself and the fantastic array of extras on the DVD. The cast and crew's enthusiasm for the project is enough to win over my cynical heart!

(in reply to BelfastBoy)
Post #: 434
- 31/1/2011 5:24:22 PM   
reminn

Average.

Post #: 435
RE: RE: - 31/1/2011 7:17:19 PM   
Spaldron

quote:

Now, Chris Hewitt's DVD review commented on Mary Elizabeth Winstead's Ramona being a casting mistake, but I'd disagree. I think she did a great job making Ramona enigmatic and mysterious, visually and in terms of her personality evoking a character who would seem exciting and different to Canadians! Even when hampered by truly horrendous hairstyles and outfits, she also managed to make Ramona surprisingly sexy too.

I don't think it's a 5* film because, at the end of it, I don't feel moved or educated at all. I'm briefly entertained, but then it's gone without making that lasting impression that true classics can. Inception left me with a head full of questions. The King's Speech captivated me with sensational acting and the titular Speech itself, a moment of spellbinding cinematic magic. In terms of comparisons, I use these because they're genuine 5* films, challenging and mature. Again, I keep on coming back to the question of who this film was intended for? Is it Edgar Wright's fault for shoehorning in too many videogame homages? I don't know, but although I fully accept that although SPVTW is far from garbage, I ultimately think it's still pretty juvenile. I expect that many will passionately disagree, but given the talent involved, I was hoping for more. I'm not criticising anyone for enjoying either the film or the source material, but I can find nothing in the former other than superficial entertainment. I'll go for 3* and be generous - taking into account the film itself and the fantastic array of extras on the DVD. The cast and crew's enthusiasm for the project is enough to win over my cynical heart!

Im sorry but Ramona was the most annoying screen character in recent years. She spent the entire film moping and was completely ungrateful at the amount of flipping effort Scott put in to win her over. She didnt deserve him.

And just because a film has a ton of dvd extras is no reason to increase its * rating.

< Message edited by Spaldron -- 31/1/2011 7:24:28 PM >

(in reply to BelfastBoy)
Post #: 436
RE: RE: - 31/1/2011 9:11:26 PM   
BelfastBoy

quote:

quote:

Now, Chris Hewitt's DVD review commented on Mary Elizabeth Winstead's Ramona being a casting mistake, but I'd disagree. I think she did a great job making Ramona enigmatic and mysterious, visually and in terms of her personality evoking a character who would seem exciting and different to Canadians! Even when hampered by truly horrendous hairstyles and outfits, she also managed to make Ramona surprisingly sexy too.

Im sorry but Ramona was the most annoying screen character in recent years. She spent the entire film moping and was completely ungrateful at the amount of flipping effort Scott put in to win her over. She didnt deserve him.

And just because a film has a ton of dvd extras is no reason to increase its * rating.

My review, my opinions. I thought Winstead did a good job, and I also thought that Scott was a total waste of space. The world of SPVTW appears to be one where regular relationship deathmatches are entirely the norm, so did he really go to that much effort? He seemed to want to go out with Ramona without having to try that hard, and the Evil Exes went out of their way to find him. He fought them out of self-preservation as much as anything else.

My rating for the film was 3* because, as I said, it was the cast and crew's enthusiasm on the extras that made me go for the higher one. Overall I think that 2* would be a bit too harsh, and why can't I take special features into account? Empire reviewers can't but why can't I, on a message board? As someone who actually spent my own money on buying the DVD, the great added value of the special features made it easier to justify the purchase, and also to appreciate what the filmmakers were trying to achieve. Just because the end result is something of an exuberant noisy mess doesn't mean I can't reward them for trying.

Finally, is Ramona really more annoying than Aldous Snow? Adam Sandler in 'Funny People'? Dobby? McLovin'? Any character played by Dane Cook? Edward Cullen? Bella Swan? Ricky Gervais in any film? (SPVTW itself is full of characters who annoyed me more than Ramona, such as the other members of Sex Bob-omb, and Scott himself.)

I'd also add something to my earlier comments. Chris Hewitt's DVD review commented on why he was confused as to why one of 2010's best films was also one of it's most surprising failures. In my opinion SPVTW should be applauded as a visual, technical and imaginative triumph, but totally at the expense of likeable characters or a plot that has much substance for adults. It's not a great film, and I wasn't surprised at all when it flopped (because, let's face it, it did). Again, I come back to a simple question - who was the demographic for this film? Fans of the comic book? Fans of Spaced, Shaun Of The Dead, Hot Fuzz? Maybe it would've done better away from blockbuster season, or maybe not. If the fanbase isn't there, it doesn't matter what time of the year a film is released. It's depressing to note that - probably - the combined box office takings for Kick Ass and SPVTW may well be less that James Cameron's cut of the 'Avatar' profits.

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 437
Well - 31/1/2011 10:57:29 PM   
Andybee76

I couldn't wait to see this after that review and also being a huge fan of Spaced, Shaun and Fuzz! But oh how we miss Mr Pegg here! It is so self indulgent it might as well have just been footage of Edgar Wright mastubating into the comic! The fights were quite cool though and so was some of the music! But beware Shaun of the Dead this isn't!!

Post #: 438
RE: RE: - 1/2/2011 9:46:11 AM   
Spaldron

quote:

My review, my opinions. I thought Winstead did a good job, and I also thought that Scott was a total waste of space. The world of SPVTW appears to be one where regular relationship deathmatches are entirely the norm, so did he really go to that much effort? He seemed to want to go out with Ramona without having to try that hard, and the Evil Exes went out of their way to find him. He fought them out of self-preservation as much as anything else.

My rating for the film was 3* because, as I said, it was the cast and crew's enthusiasm on the extras that made me go for the higher one. Overall I think that 2* would be a bit too harsh, and why can't I take special features into account? Empire reviewers can't but why can't I, on a message board? As someone who actually spent my own money on buying the DVD, the great added value of the special features made it easier to justify the purchase, and also to appreciate what the filmmakers were trying to achieve. Just because the end result is something of an exuberant noisy mess doesn't mean I can't reward them for trying.

Finally, is Ramona really more annoying than Aldous Snow? Adam Sandler in 'Funny People'? Dobby? McLovin'? Any character played by Dane Cook? Edward Cullen? Bella Swan? Ricky Gervais in any film? (SPVTW itself is full of characters who annoyed me more than Ramona, such as the other members of Sex Bob-omb, and Scott himself.)

I'd also add something to my earlier comments. Chris Hewitt's DVD review commented on why he was confused as to why one of 2010's best films was also one of it's most surprising failures. In my opinion SPVTW should be applauded as a visual, technical and imaginative triumph, but totally at the expense of likeable characters or a plot that has much substance for adults. It's not a great film, and I wasn't surprised at all when it flopped (because, let's face it, it did). Again, I come back to a simple question - who was the demographic for this film? Fans of the comic book? Fans of Spaced, Shaun Of The Dead, Hot Fuzz? Maybe it would've done better away from blockbuster season, or maybe not. If the fanbase isn't there, it doesn't matter what time of the year a film is released. It's depressing to note that - probably - the combined box office takings for Kick Ass and SPVTW may well be less that James Cameron's cut of the 'Avatar' profits.

So if Transformers 2 was released with, say the best ever dvd extras in the history of dvd's, by you're logic you would up it a star rating? A film should be considered purely and only by what happens on screen during the films running time. Not a second of commentry, documentary, out-takes, trailers, stills, deleted scenes or fuck-all else should be add to any films rating. I appreciate you're argument as an Edgar Wright fan myself and knowing how much effort he puts into his dvd releases, especially these days when studios are releasing less and less every year to cut costs/plug Blu ray. But just because everyone on the documentarys are so enthusiastic and love the project so much, it cant get in the way of pure objectivity. Thats what probably happened with Empire's review, they let it get in the way.

(in reply to BelfastBoy)
Post #: 439
RE: RE: - 1/2/2011 10:56:27 AM   
BelfastBoy

quote:

So if Transformers 2 was released with, say the best ever dvd extras in the history of dvd's, by you're logic you would up it a star rating? A film should be considered purely and only by what happens on screen during the films running time. Not a second of commentry, documentary, out-takes, trailers, stills, deleted scenes or fuck-all else should be add to any films rating. I appreciate you're argument as an Edgar Wright fan myself and knowing how much effort he puts into his dvd releases, especially these days when studios are releasing less and less every year to cut costs/plug Blu ray. But just because everyone on the documentarys are so enthusiastic and love the project so much, it cant get in the way of pure objectivity. Thats what probably happened with Empire's review, they let it get in the way.

Fair enough. Truth is, I wanted to like the film because Edgar Wright was directing, but the (in my opinion) OTT coverage Empire gave it put me off. I couldn't feel the love for the source material as I don't read comic books, so for me the film would stand or fall on what it would be onscreen. Now that I've watched it, I'm still bemused by the experience, and just don't 'get it'. Entertaining? Yes. Profound? No way. Given the creative talent involved, I was hoping for a lot more than cartoonish fighting, tuneless songs, telephones and doorbells that have to be accompanied by onscreen graphics saying 'Ring Ring'. Is it just lazy writing to have to introduce characters with onscreen text rather than through dialogue, or homaging a comic book technique? Ultimately, if I was being objective, I'd find it hard to go higher than 2*. I've just re-read the original 5* review and can only disagree with huge chunks of it. It's a fans review and maybe the film should've been reviewed by a non-fan. So while I agree with your point about a lack of objectivity in the Empire review, I'm reluctant to say much more as Chris Hewitt misunderstood something I said in an earlier post! The special features are great though, but I'll accept that they can't make the film better.

What did you think of the film? Apologies if you've posted on this already, but this thread has 15 pages and I don't have time to go through them all now!

Where next for Edgar Wright then? Phone calls to Pegg and Frost to get moving on part 3 of their Cornettos trilogy?

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 440
RE: RE: - 1/2/2011 1:35:12 PM   
Spaldron

Well I didnt think it was a bad film, it has its moments ill give it that and at least it was somewhat original with its ideas. But obviously I like I guess most people dont know how the 5* reviews are justified. And I dont like Ramona. Mary Elizabeth Winstead however...[image]http://www.perfectpeople.net/photo-picture-image-media/Mary-Elizabeth-Winstead-1019x1500-109kb-media-2306-media-129126-1199104502.jpg[/image]

(in reply to BelfastBoy)
Post #: 441
RE: RE: - 1/2/2011 3:22:04 PM   
BelfastBoy

quote:

I dont like Ramona. Mary Elizabeth Winstead however...[image]http://www.perfectpeople.net/photo-picture-image-media/Mary-Elizabeth-Winstead-1019x1500-109kb-media-2306-media-129126-1199104502.jpg[/image]

Indeed, so much better when stripped of Ramona's frankly horrendous wardrobe and wigs!

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 442
RE: RE: - 1/2/2011 5:06:55 PM   
Spaldron

quote:

quote:

I dont like Ramona. Mary Elizabeth Winstead however...[image]http://www.perfectpeople.net/photo-picture-image-media/Mary-Elizabeth-Winstead-1019x1500-109kb-media-2306-media-129126-1199104502.jpg[/image]

Indeed, so much better when stripped of Ramona's frankly horrendous wardrobe and wigs!

Stripped being the key word here.

(in reply to BelfastBoy)
Post #: 443
RE: RE: - 3/2/2011 3:31:41 PM   
kargon

I gave it 10 minutes and it went off, shite

"I SAY WHAT I LIKE AND I LIKE WHAT I BLOODY WELL SAY".

"WHAT THE FUCK DOES ANYTHING HAVE TO DO WITH VIETNAM?"

"YOU BETTER BE PUTTING AWAY THAT BLADE, OR YOU WON'T BELIEVE WHAT HAPPENS NEXT, EVEN WHILE IT'S HAPPENING"

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 444
RE: RE: - 3/2/2011 6:49:34 PM   
Dr Lenera

Wise decision, it didn't get any better!

check out more of my reviews on http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/

(in reply to kargon)
Post #: 445
RE: RE: - 4/2/2011 6:32:04 PM   
Deviation

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dr Lenera

Wise decision, it didn't get any better!

So...much...wrong...

(ok, this clearly won't become a meme, I'll quit using this)

< Message edited by Deviation -- 4/2/2011 6:33:20 PM >

quote:

quote:

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 446
RE: RE: - 4/2/2011 7:03:11 PM   
sanchia

It's Marmite.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 447
RE: RE: - 6/2/2011 9:17:55 PM   
film man aidy

Saw this on way back from hols. Hated, HATED this movie. The first movie in long time that I absolutely battled through to the end. And I think the only reason for that was there was nothing else to do on the flight. Total shite from beginning to end, unlike my holiday in the States. Don't get the love for this at all...
* - waste of money and a good cast.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 448
hilarious - 7/2/2011 9:43:21 PM   
empireaccount

im not the movies 'target audience' (17 year old living in NSW...) but this was so funny. I actually burst out loud when I read "Pilgrim, bless �im, is one of the dumbest heroes of literature in recent years" and just imagining back to all those moments when he looked spaced out-I did not particularly shine to Michael cera in his other movies but he is my hero now haha. He was absolutely hilarious. the scene waiting for his just ordered package, when ramona delivers him said package later on and yelling about Ramona at a party. "TELL ME ABOUT RAMONA FLOWERS". all his facial expressions were awesome.haha
This movie was really cool, I won't say unique because it isn't reaally. you can't just bring out lots of graphics and cheesy dance scenes ( which was fucking funny btw) and call it unique but it was very funny and very entertaining.I didn't really know whaT to expect from this movie. i knew it had anime and such but it had less than i expected (a good thing-i thought it would have HEAPS) and not having read the book, had no idea what the characters or plot would be like. overall, though it was better than i thought and i just love the feel. the entire cast is just fantastic,faultless as. Great movie-not perfect mind you,but i will give it 5 stars anyway just cos I loved it so.

Post #: 449
Target Audience? - 3/3/2011 2:53:54 PM   
rosiedoes

I'm a 28 year old female nerd who works in the games industry and this film just made me feel really old. And bored.

Post #: 450
Page:   <<   < prev  13 14 [15] 16 17   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Won't be watching Page: <<   < prev  13 14 [15] 16 17   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI