Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Scott Pilgrim vs...

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Scott Pilgrim vs... Page: <<   < prev  12 13 [14] 15 16   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Scott Pilgrim vs... - 13/9/2010 3:12:44 PM   
Death_Row_Marv

I agree.  Pilgrim was better than Kick Ass.  I have my top three films for this year so far as

1. Inception.
2. Scott Pilgrim
3.Kick Ass.

Rule one. I am always right.
Rule two. If it looks like I am wrong refer to rule one.
Check out http://marksfilmview.wordpress.com/

(in reply to Edward Nygma)
Post #: 391
RE: Scott Pilgrim vs... - 16/9/2010 12:06:45 AM   
MuckyMuckMan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Death_Row_Marv

I agree.  Pilgrim was better than Kick Ass.  I have my top three films for this year so far as

1. Inception.
2. Scott Pilgrim
3.Kick Ass.

Totally agree with your top 3, loved Kick Ass but Scott Pilgrim was even more refreshingly K.O.

My Film Collection:
http://www.invelos.com/dvdcollection.aspx/MuckyMuckMan
Last 5 films seen
The Impossible 3.5/5
Stoker 4/5
Thor: Dark World 3.5/5
The Wolfman (1941) 4/5
All is Lost 5/5

(in reply to Death_Row_Marv)
Post #: 392
RE: Scott Pilgrim Vs The World - 16/9/2010 12:14:18 AM   
Miles Messervy 007

quote:

ORIGINAL: Schimchs

Realise I'm late to the party here (I tend to avoid going to see big ticket films in their opening week), but I'm just back from seeing Scott Pilgrim, and from my perspective, I thought it was probably one of the best (new) films I've seen in a long time.

Not a dud point in the entire movie - I didn't have too many preconceptions about it, which probably helped, but I didn't find myself thinking "this bit is a bit slow" at any point during the flim - and I can't say that I've seen many films like that, certainly not recently anyway.

As with most movies, It's all subjective of course - and I can see that it might not appeal to all. But for me, the film just hit the spot - as a bit of a geek, a child of the 80's, and a bass player (who has played some lousy battle of the bands gigs himself), the film just rocked.

The big indicator: Leaving the cinema, and finding real life to be a bit of an anti-climax
Well put.

quote:

jamesbondguy:
Miles is clearly the finest film theorist of his generation

quote:

Deviation:
if it isn't ham, I'll eat a living pig.

(in reply to Schimchs)
Post #: 393
Great Film - 16/9/2010 10:38:11 AM   
lamppost911

I really dont understand the hundreds of people outthere on this form who dont like this film, its fresh and fun livly and funny.
Wright has done a great job in making a film that truly lived up to the hype that i felt as a fan, having been raving about it for mounths i was ready for it to fail big time (kingdom of Cystel skull - im talking to you), but it didnt the visuals where fresh and exciting, and the curveball direction the film took after 25 mins was handeled well.
Well Done
One of the top films of the year

vist my blog for random movie bullcrap
www.callumvstheweb.wordpress.com
Post #: 394
RE: Great Film - 17/9/2010 3:17:51 AM   
Qwerty Norris

As inventive, delirious & entertaining as anything Edgar Wright's ever done and it's clear that a LOT of heart and soul has gone into shaping this like so much of his previous work  - and yet, Scott Pilgrim is not without its shortcomings. What worked a treat for the likes of Spaced, Shaun & Fuzz was Wright combining his hyperactive style with a very British, highly comedic tone dealing with the existentialisms facing the twenty something's generation. With Scott Pilgrim, the translation to Canada and a more youthful age group dilutes the laughs and the sincerity - although through the eyes of a teenage to young adult American / Canadian this could admittedly be challenged.

One universal problem however that can't be attributed to cultural differences comes from the characters. The seven evil ex's feel like four too many, and only Chris Evans's ludicrously pompous action hero and Brandon Routh's vegan bass player really sell the comedy, the entertainment and the interest. As for the central characters to the films arc, whilst all are amusing to be in the company of, none of them generate enough reason for you to care - aside from Emily Wong's gloriously naive Knives.  Cera's Pilgrim for example is a casing point - not a particularly likeable character (in fact, he's very much an anus) and consequently you're left feeling for him what you feel for the film in general – appreciative of the effort involved but not particularly bothered if everything works out.

That said, the soundtrack is bang on (the Sex Bob-omb track to the terrific opening credits particularly kicks arse)and I loved the inclusion of Navi's Lullaby from Zelda.  

4/5

Qwerty's Top 10 of 2013 (so far)

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
9. The Place Beyond the Pines
10. Wreck-it Ralph

(in reply to lamppost911)
Post #: 395
RE: Fun film - 17/9/2010 10:07:33 AM   
Wild about Wilder

Went yesterday for 2nd time & have to say I enjoyed it more 2nd time around maybe a case of over-expectation 1st time or not so packed so could get more into it. 4/5
Post #: 396
RE: Fun film - 18/9/2010 5:41:20 PM   
Deviation

It was wonderful. Utterly wonderful. 

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to Wild about Wilder)
Post #: 397
RE: Fun film - 23/9/2010 7:24:17 PM   
Invader_Ace

It was alright.  3 Stars.  Can't really see why it has generated extreme emotions on either side really.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 398
RE: Fun film - 23/9/2010 9:15:02 PM   
Deviation

quote:

ORIGINAL: Invader_Ace

It was alright.  3 Stars.  Can't really see why it has generated extreme emotions on either side really.

Because it was great?

quote:

There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

(in reply to Invader_Ace)
Post #: 399
RE: Fun film - 24/9/2010 4:00:00 PM   
Invader_Ace

Didn't see it myself.
It was chucklesome throughout, but nothing that got a big laugh. The action was kind of underwhelming, Scott never seemed like he was in any real danger. I started to find it a little boring towards the end.

Don't get me wrong, it's good. Zelda music, Tom Jane and all kinds of good stuff, but it's not really engaging.
Mainly for me, after all the hype of being a frenetic blast to the senses and groundbreaking, it was a bit of a let down, not that I was that interested in it anyway. It wasn't anything that hasn't been seen in cheaper action films from Japan and it wasn't as full on editing assault as say Crank and Crank 2.

One of the best bits was when he was in a love daze and a whole day passed in what from his perception was a few sentences.

So, I'm sticking by 3 stars.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 400
RE: Scott Pilgrim Vs The World - 24/9/2010 8:21:43 PM   
horrorchic

When i saw the trailer i thought this looked something like Kick Ass. Well ive seen the movie and i must say its NOTHING like Kick Ass, which was wayyyyy better.
Scott Pilgrim had its funny moments and i was surprised to discover Kieran Culkin's could actually act in a comical role.  However the movie to me felt stretched out and about halfway through the movie i was wondering when it would end.
I would personally give it min 3 max 4 stars.....or just make it 3.5 stars!

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 401
RE: Scott Pilgrim Vs The World - 24/9/2010 8:54:12 PM   
sanchia

It is a decent enough film and quite fun but the characters never really engaged me. It came across as being a bit shallow with too much focus on the fight scenes and not enough personality. For some reason I found all the female characters rather annoying other than the sister.

I think one of the problems I had was that I didn't really like Cera as the main character. I had read a couple of the books and he just didn't sell the character to me. The character who really interested me where the boyfriends (primarily Routh and Evan) both of whom lit up the screen when they appeared. Gideon didn't really work as a big bad.

Whilst i can see why there has been the appeal at the same time I can see why it has tanked as well.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to horrorchic)
Post #: 402
RE: Fun film - 25/9/2010 3:14:10 AM   
Deviation

quote:

ORIGINAL: Invader_Ace

Didn't see it myself.
It was chucklesome throughout, but nothing that got a big laugh. The action was kind of underwhelming, Scott never seemed like he was in any real danger. I started to find it a little boring towards the end.

Don't get me wrong, it's good. Zelda music, Tom Jane and all kinds of good stuff, but it's not really engaging.
Mainly for me, after all the hype of being a frenetic blast to the senses and groundbreaking, it was a bit of a let down, not that I was that interested in it anyway. It wasn't anything that hasn't been seen in cheaper action films from Japan and it wasn't as full on editing assault as say Crank and Crank 2.

One of the best bits was when he was in a love daze and a whole day passed in what from his perception was a few sentences.

So, I'm sticking by 3 stars.

Fair enough, I actually laughed out loud most of the time. I did find it frenetic, It was the most frenetic thing I've seen since well......erm......something.

quote:

quote:

(in reply to Invader_Ace)
Post #: 403
RE: Fun film - 26/9/2010 4:58:23 PM   
McGeesJabberwock

As summer draws to a close and school is close to beginning again, teenagers make good with their last days of freedom by watching films that have so much appeal for them but little for anyone else. Recently, cinemas have seen Piranha 3D, which appeals to the teenage need for gratuitous nudity and gore, and Scott Pilgrim vs. The World, which caters to those obsessed with video games, rock music and sex.

Several superhero movies, adapted from the most famous comics, have been making a presence on the big screen in recent years, such as The Dark Knight and Iron Man. However, superhero comics are not the only comics available, so comic book movies about superheroes are not the only comic book movies available. Scott Pilgrim vs The World is based on a series of graphic novels by Bryan Lee O’Malley, and while it may not be a superhero story, it has the action and strangeness associated with that genre.

Scott Pilgrim (Michael Cera) is an awkward young man in his early twenties who plays with the nerdy band ‘Sex Bob-omb’. While he has been having a ‘fake girlfriend’ in Knives Chau (Ellen Wong), he finds himself falling in love with a girl he has seen in his dreams: the mysterious Ramona Flowers (Mary Elizabeth Winstead). Unfortunately, there’s a challenge Pilgrim has to overcome before Ramona can be his; Ramona has ‘seven evil exes’ who have formed a league and are all out for Scott’s blood. All seven of them must be defeated.

While the story may be interesting in its own surreal way, it is, sadly, the type of story that works better in a comic than on film. Bizarre moments like a giant yeti fighting twin dragons in a battle of the bands, or a flamboyant warlock with attractive demon sidekicks are more forgivable in the colourful pages in a comic, but not really in a live action film. Most comic book movies alter the source material to work better on screen – Watchmen has no mutant squid and the Joker wears makeup – but Scott Pilgrim’s story will bewilder and confuse those who haven’t read the comic. The entertainment from this movie, however, mostly comes from wondering what magical powers Scott will go up against next.

The comic book sensibilities also mean that the movie’s story feels too episodic. There are loads of characters, but, especially with the breakneck pace the story moves at, they all feel underdeveloped and stale. If Scott Pilgrim were to be adapted, an animated mini-series may have been more appropriate than live action film.

Scott Pilgrim’s world is one that is revealed through style, which includes floating text similar to BBC’s Sherlock, video game scores and awards, and artistic backdrops. These stylistic touches are meant to celebrate the movie’s comic book origins and differentiate it from what else is showing, but it ends up being a mixed bag. Sometimes they are effective, like when Scott and Ramona are walking together in a snowy field shrouded by darkness, and Scott is given a warning about Ramona, sometimes they are unnecessary, like when the evil exes explode into a shower of coins, and sometimes they elicit eye-rolling, like when Scott urinates and a bar appears measuring how much he has urinated.

There are several characters in the movie, so there would be several performances to judge if the characters didn’t come and leave so quickly. Michael Cera doesn’t impress in the title role, giving his character a whiny voice that is occasionally funny, but is mostly annoying. His fellow band members are more entertaining to watch, except for Alison Pill, who is full of forced cynicism. The main females of the story, Wong and Winstead, are fine in their roles, but Kieran Culkin, as Scott’s roommate who strangely looks like Nick Griffin, is an intolerable person. All of the seven evil exes are gleefully over the top, and, combined with their strange special effects, help keep the film entertaining.

Scott Pilgrim vs. The World has been called ‘Twilight for boys,’ and it is not hard to see why. Like Twilight was a flat story that catered to teenage girl’s need for sentimental romance and attractive vampires, Scott Pilgrim is a flat story catering to teenage boy’s need for video games and sexual fantasies. Teenage boys will love this movie, but while their parents may find amusement in the joyful surreality, they will be unfulfilled.

< Message edited by McGeesJabberwock -- 26/9/2010 5:08:22 PM >

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 404
RE: Fun film - 26/9/2010 4:58:55 PM   
McGeesJabberwock

Oops, double post.

< Message edited by McGeesJabberwock -- 26/9/2010 5:00:08 PM >

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 405
RE: Scott Pilgrim Vs The World - 3/10/2010 1:48:24 AM   
Giant Green Rabbit

I found it quite disappointing. It reminds me of Tarantino's worst movies in its complete lack of substance, nor is it funny enough to justify its length, despite being edited to resemble a film made for sufferers of ADHD. In some ways I suppose it is a computer game you can't play; ultimately the characters are shallow, the plot superficial, ill-concieved and almost deliberately playing dumb, but the effects and graphics polished and witty. But not witty enough. It was fine to watch once but like Sin City I imagine it will be a struggle to ever sit through again. Like the one-joke Napolean Dynamite, a certain demographic might find it 'cool' - the demographic that Empire magazine is aimed at.possibly, explaining the glut of features its release has apparently provoked. I thought it was mildly diverting but forgettable stuff.

I would say though that those people who are listing it among the best films of the year might want to catch A Prophet, which for me has been the best film I've seen in ages/

Once there was a little bunny who had a little furry tail and a little shiny nose. But the electrodeath cloud of commerce strangled it and its foxhole was converted to a parking lot, a parking lot, a parking lot. Ample parking asphalted over bunny bones. Everyone everyone get in.

Post #: 406
RE: Rubbish - 9/12/2010 10:43:41 PM   
TheGodfather

Finally, finally I watched it in cinema on monday:

Yesterday:

Scott Pilgrim vs. The World
The feature film debut of Edgar Wright was a zombie comedy, his second a police-buddy-action-flick and now it`s time for the ultimate nerd film: the Nintendo 8-bit game brought to life on the silver screen.

Based on a comic, this is the story of the antihero Scott Pilgrim (baby face Michael Cera) who falls in love with Ramona Flowers (Mary Elizabeth Winstead). To win her over, Scott to has to battle her seven evil exes of Ramona.

A much heard criticism is that this film is shallow, style over substance. That is too easy. In Wright`s third film  the style and story can`t do without each other. The game-style that characterises the film is an essential part of the story. Without the style the story doesn`t work and vice versa.
You can even say that it`s a coming-of-age/love story, and not an action/comedy.
Michael Cera and Mary Elizabeth Winstead make a great couple and are perfect for the roles.

The makers have truly gone all the way to bring the 8bit era to life in a believable way, wich only makes a real grumpy man (or woman) moan about the "style over substance". The fusion of the fantastic special effect, visual inventiveness and the brilliant sound desing are unheard of and make sure that from the wonderfull beginning (with that 8-bit Universal logo) untill the end you`ll be watching and enjoying with a smile stretching from ear to ear.
And as soon as the film is done, the first you`ll want to do is go home as soon as possible to play those old Nintendo games again.

And so 2010 turns out to be a year in wich the original films grab the filmgoers attention. After the brilliant Inecption, Edgar Wright surprises us all with the truly original and wonderfully conceived love story of Scott Pilgrim.
Fenomenal!

9,5/10

Jules: "What" ain't no country I ever heard of! They speak English in What?
Brett: What?
Jules: ENGLISH, MOTHERFUCKER! DO-YOU-SPEAK-IT?
Post #: 407
RE: Hated It - 29/12/2010 10:34:49 PM   
redpaw

This film is so dull it'll make yer ears bleed.
Post #: 408
RE: Hated It - 29/12/2010 11:08:57 PM   
Deviation

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joelrobinson

In my opinion this film is good for kids or Fanboys. I personally hate this film with a burning passion. The humour I found slightly pathetic. the first half of it I did kinda enjoy, but then the second half came and I just got bored to be frank. So if you're a super-geek, a child or you just like terrible film go ahead and what it.

Oh dear lord.

< Message edited by Deviation -- 29/12/2010 11:10:04 PM >

quote:

quote:

Post #: 409
LLOLL - 4/1/2011 8:50:42 PM   
Joelrobinson

Made a typo lol I meant to say 'watch it'

Post #: 410
Won't be watching - 5/1/2011 2:11:57 PM   
AntGC

This is something i'll be avoiding for the rest of my life....havent seen it but it just looks like the usual no one trying to make a name for himself

Post #: 411
RE: Hated It - 13/1/2011 7:50:39 PM   
langers37

quote:

ORIGINAL: redpaw

nope, trust me your ears will be bleeding because of how freaking awesome the soundtrack is

(in reply to redpaw)
Post #: 412
RE: Won't be watching - 13/1/2011 8:07:29 PM   
Deviation

quote:

ORIGINAL: AntGC

This is something i'll be avoiding for the rest of my life....havent seen it but it just looks like the usual no one trying to make a name for himself

I have no idea what this comment means to say, so I'll just laugh at it.

quote:

quote:

(in reply to AntGC)
Post #: 413
GOOD - 14/1/2011 2:04:59 PM   
Johnwayne

OK....KEPT ME ENTERTAINED...BUT CANT HELP WANTING MORE FROM IT...N GOT A BIT TOO UP ITS OWN AR#E :)

Post #: 414
GOOD - 14/1/2011 2:05:30 PM   
Johnwayne

OK....KEPT ME ENTERTAINED...BUT CANT HELP WANTING MORE FROM IT...N GOT A BIT TOO UP ITS OWN AR#E :)

Post #: 415
RE: GOOD - 14/1/2011 2:17:27 PM   
hatebox

Do not attempt to watch this film for the first time on a long haul flight with sleep deprivation. I couldn't withstand more than a minute. But maybe I'll give it another go under more comfortable circumstances. 

(in reply to Johnwayne)
Post #: 416
RE: Hated It - 14/1/2011 5:01:11 PM   
rick_7

quote:

ORIGINAL: langers37

quote:

ORIGINAL: redpaw

nope, trust me your ears will be bleeding because of how freaking awesome the soundtrack is

Is it really, though? I thought it was pretty uninspired.

< Message edited by rick_7 -- 14/1/2011 5:04:37 PM >

*Wendy Hiller fanboy*

Blog: DJANGO! DUMBO! DESPICABLE ME 2! Plus: other stuff.

"Nothin's really been right since Sam the Lion died."

(in reply to langers37)
Post #: 417
RE: Hated It - 14/1/2011 5:06:58 PM   
Deviation

I find you pretty uninspired as well rick_7. Sorry.

quote:

quote:

(in reply to rick_7)
Post #: 418
RE: Hated It - 14/1/2011 5:25:25 PM   
rick_7

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation

I find you pretty uninspired as well rick_7. Sorry.

No, that's quite alright, I get that a lot.

But I didn't notice one good song in Scott Pilgrim, despite being told beforehand to pay attention to the great soundtrack. Generic riffs and crap lyrics are back in now, are they? I was a bit disappointed with the movie as a whole really, given all the hype. I really wanted to like it, but I didn't. Well, only a little, like Paul Daniels.

*Wendy Hiller fanboy*

Blog: DJANGO! DUMBO! DESPICABLE ME 2! Plus: other stuff.

"Nothin's really been right since Sam the Lion died."

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 419
RE: Won't be watching - 16/1/2011 2:43:27 PM   
Dr Lenera

quote:

ORIGINAL: AntGC

Having seen it once, I will certainly avoid it for the rest of my life.

check out more of my reviews on http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/

(in reply to AntGC)
Post #: 420
Page:   <<   < prev  12 13 [14] 15 16   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Scott Pilgrim vs... Page: <<   < prev  12 13 [14] 15 16   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI