Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Scott Pilgrim Vs The World

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Scott Pilgrim Vs The World Page: <<   < prev  10 11 [12] 13 14   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Scott Pilgrim Vs The World - 30/8/2010 6:29:31 PM   
Rgirvan44

See, I don't think the main arc of the movie really was "Will Scott end up with Ramona?", for me the film was the story about a man - child, growing up and taking his first steps into adult life. Ramona, Knives, the Evil Exs,, etc are all there to push him to grow up.

And I would argue that while Knives was suppose to be annoying at times, she was filled with what she thought was love. By the end, her arc is also complete - she realises that she can do better than Scott, and to stop chasing dreams.

With Kim, I'm not sure what the cliche is here, but I don't think she is still in love with Scott. Rather there are clear signs that the break up hit her emotionally much harder than Scott. When Scott realises this, the smile at the end is the conclusion to that arc. I though it was a very touching moment actully. Then the awesome fight music!

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Epiphany Demon)
Post #: 331
RE: Scott Pilgrim Vs The World - 30/8/2010 6:40:41 PM   
Sway

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

See, I don't think the main arc of the movie really was "Will Scott end up with Ramona?", for me the film was the story about a man - child, growing up and taking his first steps into adult life. Ramona, Knives, the Evil Exs,, etc are all there to push him to grow up.

And I would argue that while Knives was suppose to be annoying at times, she was filled with what she thought was love. By the end, her arc is also complete - she realises that she can do better than Scott, and to stop chasing dreams.

With Kim, I'm not sure what the cliche is here, but I don't think she is still in love with Scott. Rather there are clear signs that the break up hit her emotionally much harder than Scott. When Scott realises this, the smile at the end is the conclusion to that arc. I though it was a very touching moment actully. Then the awesome fight music!

I was waiting for somebody to come back with this point.  And that's fair enough, it's something I was aware of myself. But regardless of whether that's the angle you look at, I still left the film feeling unmoved, whether it's because Scott and Ramona's relationship failed to move me, or that Scott's "man-journey" didn't affect me.  Neither the superficial nor the more meaningful ended up meaning anything to me.

And yes Knives character was obviously meant to be that way, but doesn't mean I liked suffering it and I found her very distracting.  During all of her screentime I constantly wished they'd cut to the next scene.

Ah Kim.  The bitter, droll, deadpan one -  angsty because she's nursing a broken heart and harbouring a mild grudge.  It's less about the backstory between her and Scott and more about her character being the deadpan, expressionless one, coming out with one or two words at a time.  Because that's cool.  She's cool.  She's in a band y'know?  She's disaffected.  Cept she's really not because of the Scott thing.  Urgh.  Couldn't stand that character, but each to one's own.

"I am not in danger, Skyler. I AM the danger! A guy opens his door and gets shot and you think that of me? No. I am the one who knocks!"

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 332
RE: Scott Pilgrim Vs The World - 30/8/2010 6:48:07 PM   
Rgirvan44

Ah, shes fine. Mind you, I was always a Kim fan from the books.

Interesting how people are responding to this - would anyone disagree that it is one of those very rare things - a male focused romantic comedy?

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Sway)
Post #: 333
RE: Scott Pilgrim Vs The World - 30/8/2010 7:27:26 PM   
homersimpson_esq

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sway

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

I was waiting for somebody to come back with this point.  And that's fair enough, it's something I was aware of myself. But regardless of whether that's the angle you look at, I still left the film feeling unmoved, whether it's because Scott and Ramona's relationship failed to move me, or that Scott's "man-journey" didn't affect me.  Neither the superficial nor the more meaningful ended up meaning anything to me.

And yes Knives character was obviously meant to be that way, but doesn't mean I liked suffering it and I found her very distracting.  During all of her screentime I constantly wished they'd cut to the next scene.

Ah Kim.  The bitter, droll, deadpan one -  angsty because she's nursing a broken heart and harbouring a mild grudge.  It's less about the backstory between her and Scott and more about her character being the deadpan, expressionless one, coming out with one or two words at a time.  Because that's cool.  She's cool.  She's in a band y'know?  She's disaffected.  Cept she's really not because of the Scott thing.  Urgh.  Couldn't stand that character, but each to one's own.

She's my favourite character.

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to Sway)
Post #: 334
RE: Scott Pilgrim Vs The World - 30/8/2010 7:35:26 PM   
Sway

quote:

ORIGINAL: homersimpson_esq

Well she would be, wouldn't she!   I think I'd like to be a gay man for Scott's roomie.

"I am not in danger, Skyler. I AM the danger! A guy opens his door and gets shot and you think that of me? No. I am the one who knocks!"

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 335
RE: Scott Pilgrim Vs The World - 30/8/2010 7:38:42 PM   
homersimpson_esq

quote:

quote:

Well she would be, wouldn't she!   I think I'd like to be a gay man for Scott's roomie.

You suck, surprising no-one.

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to Sway)
Post #: 336
RE: Scott Pilgrim Vs The World - 30/8/2010 7:55:06 PM   
scary_ice

quote:

quote:

She's my favourite from the books but as I said in my previous post I think she was very short-changed in the movie. It's to be expected though as there's no time to go into her story or character with everything else. Hell, there was hardly any time to go into Scott and Ramona's relationship!

I really didn't like the bit at the party when Scott says to Ramona that everything is fine between him and Kim and then turns around to see her staring at him like a crazy stalker - that's not Kim!
In the books while it is clear she isn't happy with something about her and Scott's breakup she isn't pining for him or obsessed or anything. She gets on with things, dates other guys, is nice to people generally and when Scott finally realises that he did bad by her she is happy that he acknowledges the fact and they continue being friends.

(in reply to Sway)
Post #: 337
RE: Scott Pilgrim Vs The World - 30/8/2010 8:22:02 PM   
Sway

quote:

quote:

quote:

You suck, surprising no-one.

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 338
RE: Scott Pilgrim Vs The World - 30/8/2010 8:29:02 PM   
sanchia

I'm going to interpret that the rude way.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to Sway)
Post #: 339
RE: Scott Pilgrim Vs The World - 30/8/2010 8:34:09 PM   
Sway

quote:

ORIGINAL: sanchia

I'm going to interpret that the rude way.

Well you would, wouldn't you?

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 340
RE: Scott Pilgrim Vs The World - 30/8/2010 8:35:14 PM   
sanchia

It's part of my contract

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to Sway)
Post #: 341
RE: - 30/8/2010 9:29:58 PM   
hampstead bandit

never read the graphic novels

but saw this today in the cinema with my GF and we both thoroughly enjoyed the film

one of the freshest and most original films I have seen for a long while, and being a former video game addict I felt at home with the on-screen graphics and fight scenes

great fun, and I enjoyed this much more than Shaun of the Dead or Hot Fuzz which I found quite over rated, although the Spaced TV show was excellent

4/5
Post #: 342
RE: RE: - 30/8/2010 11:18:57 PM   
oui3d

Currently gets a 4 (ish)
Very funny, on the whole beautifully (but not ruthlessly) edited. 'i's dotted 't's crossed yet somehow incomplete. One of those odd films that because of the hyper kinetic pace of the action, seems to drag in between specially when giving its guests their comedy spotlight moment. A judicious trim of a gag here or there and less on the nose dialogue (my pet peeve) and it would have rocketed along.

Michael Cera was enjoyable. (I think i'm over his passing resemblance to Simon Amstell and no longer wish him ill) I get why Scott falls for Ramona the surrounding cast are great. Knives was absolutely the emotional centre of this film for me. The only one expressing real unrestrained feeling as opposed to the self conscious dead panning, unrehearsed evil or cowardly evasion of the other characters in the film. Hers was the one heart i cared if it was broken cause the pain was there to be seen. Without her the film would be funny, clever but ultimately soulless.

Overall, not as complete as Kick Ass, but more entertaining than Inception and less annoying than everything else. J'accuse Clash & Persia!

Toy Story 3 and Tron Legacy to GO!

No French, German, Spanish or Scandinavian film company is allowed to release a film in America. No British film company is allowed to release a film in America. And yet we allow America 100% access to our domestic market.

The best Star Wars film was directed by a 55 year old journeyman. Mental isn't it?

(in reply to hampstead bandit)
Post #: 343
Scott Pilgrim vs Kick Ass - 31/8/2010 3:01:19 PM   
Edward Nygma

quote:

ORIGINAL: slugman

Saw this film yesterday and was hopful it would be as good as the excellent Kick-Ass. However, i was bitterly let down!!
Everything that was good with Kick-Ass was bad with this. I have since spoken to several others who have seen the film and they were also as let down as myself.
A total waste of money and time.

Please elaborate. How is Kick Ass better than Scott Pilgrim? I have the complete opposite opinion from yours so I'm curious.

It's no secret that I wasn't blown away by Kick Ass at all but, for me, Kick Ass is just not in the same league as Scott Pilgrim. It's just so clunkily executed next to Edgar Wright's film I can't fathom in which ways Kick Ass could possibly be interpreted as a much better film. Nic Cage's spot on Adam West impression and a little girl swearing is just not good enough to sustain an entire film! I'm sorry!

The fact SPVTW flopped by the way has nothing to do with the quality of the film. It was just released at the wrong time, that's all. Expendables, a mediocre film by ANY standards, did very well and was released at the same time...

Ben. Affleck.
Post #: 344
RE: Scott Pilgrim vs Kick Ass - 31/8/2010 3:28:09 PM   
Sway

quote:

ORIGINAL: Edward Nygma

quote:

ORIGINAL: slugman

Saw this film yesterday and was hopful it would be as good as the excellent Kick-Ass. However, i was bitterly let down!!
Everything that was good with Kick-Ass was bad with this. I have since spoken to several others who have seen the film and they were also as let down as myself.
A total waste of money and time.

Please elaborate. How is Kick Ass better than Scott Pilgrim? I have the complete opposite opinion from yours so I'm curious.

It's no secret that I wasn't blown away by Kick Ass at all but, for me, Kick Ass is just not in the same league as Scott Pilgrim. It's just so clunkily executed next to Edgar Wright's film I can't fathom in which ways Kick Ass could possibly be interpreted as a much better film. Nic Cage's spot on Adam West impression and a little girl swearing is just not good enough to sustain an entire film! I'm sorry!

The fact SPVTW flopped by the way has nothing to do with the quality of the film. It was just released at the wrong time, that's all. Expendables, a mediocre film by ANY standards, did very well and was released at the same time...

I've got to say, I do try and avoid doing the comparison thing when possible, I like to see a film on it's own merits, and not necessarily held up against another film's successes or failures.  However it's hard to do, and strangely enough after having seen Scott Pilgrim yesterday I started thinking about Kick Ass afterwards, and I have to admit, if it's a case of prefering one or the other I prefered Kick Ass.

Unfortunately I don't think I'll be able to elaborate very well on this, since it feels like quite some time ago that I saw Kick Ass, but if you read my post about Scott Pilgrim you'll be aware of my thoughts on that.  I think Kick Ass had more heart than Scott.  I felt more invested in Dave as a character, and in my mind the film was a bit more polished than Scott Pilgrim.  Also, I actually felt that Pilgrim was the more clunkily executed one in comparison to Kick Ass.  I seem to remember Kick Ass flowing pretty smoothly from scene to scene, but Pilgrim was a bit jerky and kinda jumped around. 

This is not to say I didn't enjoy Pilgrim - far from it.  I'll definitely be buying it when it comes out on dvd.  Plus I'm a bigger fan of Cera than I am of Johnson, but that's neither here nor there.   And I'm aware Kick-Ass has it's flaws too - Chloe Moretz character was slightly irritating - but I don't think people are basing their entire like for Kick Ass on account of Nicolas Cage and Chloe Moretz! Cage might have been bit of a scene stealer but Johnson really carrried the film on his own, and I remember leaving the cinema feeling all warm and fuzzy at the end of Kick Ass, whereas Pilgrim left me a bit cold.

Anyway these are just my thoughts on it.

(in reply to Edward Nygma)
Post #: 345
RE: Scott Pilgrim vs Kick Ass - 31/8/2010 6:25:18 PM   
kenada_woo

Well....maybe it just wasnt for me because I felt it was a glossy and visually imaginative film....but also childish, un-funny, and very mediocre story wise that plodded along.

The support characters seemed more interesting and quirky that the leads - Romona Flowers just seemed like a moody, uncharismatic, and surprisingly not very attractive love interest without an inch of likeability (how they uglied up Mary Elizabeth Winstead takes some doing) - so much so that even Mario wouldnt go near her to to be honest...and he's spent decades saving his bint Princess Peach from Bowser about 1000 times, but still never gets bored. As for Scott himself, he just seemed like a bit of a gimp we're meant to find funny and quirky because his jokes are lame and he doesnt seem very bright.

Both leads IMO did not have many redeeming qualities apart from the can fight and one has "cool" hair (its a very cool hair fixated movie). They dont really have any chemistry and all you get as to why Scott is following her around like a lost puppy (as well as dumping a likable girl in Knives, a real crowd pleaser) is that she's the "girl of his dreams". Even though Romona herself doesnt seem too arsed about him he still persists as we go from one fight to the next untill the eventual "happy ending" you can see coming a mile away.

I found it also to be a bit confused about who the film is meant to be aimed at. Is it younger teens finding their first girlfriend/boyfriend that like "cool stuff" like rock bands, kung fu, video games and flashy high-tempo movies? It seemed that way due to how thin the characterisation is and how childish jokes that involve the Vegan Police and lesbians are made to come across as "witty" and "clever." It clearly doesnt have the weight or wit to appeal to anyone else IMO...which is why I probably didnt find it engaging. Which is strange because I was brought up with Edgar Wright doing Spaced, video games it references, manga, kung-fu moves etc and just found through all the flashy razmataz of its visuals and sound I found it to be quite a bore. Wright has a great visual style but to me this felt like a watered down, big budget, extended episode of Spaced but without the mixture of good writing, clever nods, and adult humour that comedian/writers Simon Pegg and Jessica Stevenson brought to that show.

But away from comparing Pilgrim to a TV show and viewing it on its own merits...I also didnt find it funny. In fact the packed house screening I saw it with felt lifeless and almost laugh free for its run time (minus a few chuckles). The film had some clever visual gags but also sign posted and IMO childish jokes and one liners that I didnt find very clever or witty - it was very Cartoon Network-like. Which I guess was the point - a live action cartoon. All well and good but as a movie I was expecting a more meat on the bones and more interesting characters rather than interesting split-screens and whip pans.

Overall, probably not for me even though it has everything I would like to see in a movie. While being visually flashy, inventive and memorable in that respect, the main characters and story are weak and tiresome which is glossed over by the visual style. Remove that style and whats left is something that story wise is dull that plods from scene to scene with moments that range from well put together to pretty bad. Some nice support characters though.

**/*****

http://dereksdontrunfilms.blogspot.co.uk/

"You bailed out a Jamaican street named Monkey the other day, I want him. This other piece of shit, Screwface, I want him. I know you're a scumbag and a puke, I don't mind that, but give me what I need and I'll leave here a nice guy. If you don't, I'm gonna fuck you up. "

Hatcher. Marked For Death

(in reply to Sway)
Post #: 346
RE: Scott Pilgrim vs Kick Ass - 31/8/2010 6:53:54 PM   
spamandham

The only thing kickass had going for it were the fight scenes. Pilgrims are more entertaining. Pilgrims soundtrack is also excellent, btw.

(in reply to kenada_woo)
Post #: 347
RE: Scott Pilgrim vs Kick Ass - 31/8/2010 8:25:45 PM   
Edward Nygma

Oh well, I guess I really need to watch Kick Ass again. That film just did not do it for me when I saw it. Which is weird because I remember being totally in the mood for that kind of film at the time. 20 minutes in I was just cringing throughout...

I didn't get any sort of awkward clunkiness in the direction/writing from Scott Pilgrim. It was a pretty perfect teen movie all around IMO. And I don't usually like Edgar Wright's films! Maybe the last 2 minutes were a bit corny, granted. But besides that, this was a fun, clever, FUNNY (can't believe some people found it unfunny), fast paced adventure...but Kick Ass...nah...it just felt like a mess.

Anyway, Ill shut up now and try to watch Kick Ass again to give you guys a more in depth, detailed review of it.

Ben. Affleck.

(in reply to spamandham)
Post #: 348
RE: Scott Pilgrim vs Kick Ass - 31/8/2010 10:15:59 PM   
Marwood

Saw this earlier with a couple of friends and a good time was had by all.

Personally I don't think the film is the masterpiece that many reviews have made it out to be but it's cool, quirky and I think the actors all fit the roles well. I'm not usually a Michael Cera fan but very much enjoyed his performance, it's essentially the same awkward smart arse he's known for but he has a bit more of an emotional edge here.

The evil exes were good fun (particularly liked Brandon Routh's Todd) but Jason Schwartzman's Gideon was a bit dull - considering he was built up to be The Emperor of this story he was a much weaker character than any of the others. Although the final fight/s were excellent. For me though the star of the show was Ellen Wong (?) as Knives - what a find, she was fantastic.

Overall I think it's a bold film and very entertaining but definitely not for everyone, it was like a greatest hits of Edgar Wright's career thus far but with a budget to let his imagination run riot. In a way though I hope he's got some of the weirdness out of his system and can put his style to good use in existing genres - his Ant Man for Marvel is next up so will be interesting to see how he gets on there.

Bilbo: What about the Ewoks? They were rubbish.

Tim: Yeah but Jar Jar Binks makes the Ewoks look like f***ing Shaft!

Post #: 349
Scott Pilgrim vs Batman? - 1/9/2010 8:51:37 PM   
Edward Nygma

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jonda Fett

I'm sorry but when you give a film 5 stars it has to be AMAZING. Can anyone honestly say this was in the same league as The Dark Knight for instance? Don't get me wrong it was good but no way deserving of 5 stars...

Well Scott Pilgrim and Dark Knight may both be comic book films but one is a comedy/teen movie, the other is a dark action/drama so I don't think you really can compare them. From where I stand, yeah, I thought that Scott Pilgrim was really as AMAZING as a teen movie is ever likely to get! And in terms of comic book adaptations, this was very very good IMO. I like both films but in very very different ways.

Ben. Affleck.
Post #: 350
RE: Scott Pilgrim vs Batman? - 1/9/2010 8:57:20 PM   
elab49

Oddly, that's the second post I've read today that seems to present it as read that the decision to assign masterpiece status to Dark Knight is unanimous.

It really really isn't.

Ignoring the type of film, in quality terms I'd easily put Scott Pilgrim quite some points ahead. It had a similar lull, but wasn't nearly as ponderously overlong nor did it feel so, helped by some vivid and energetic directing.And much better writing for the most part.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

Post #: 351
RE: Scott Pilgrim vs Batman? - 1/9/2010 9:17:23 PM   
Dr Lenera

ll say one thing right away, I absolutely hated Scott Pilgrim right from the outset,even though there are probably worse films this year, and to be honest I can’t quite put my finger on it. Maybe it was the pathetic plot ,which seemed like something a bored 12 year old boy would concoct on his lunch break. Maybe it was the endless in-your-face attempts to be cool and quirky, from writing on screen informing us who people are to scenes cutting off seemingly half way through and then cutting into another one. Maybe it was the irritating, dislikeable characters in which I invested no emotional interest whatsoever [except for one character, Knives, who I started to like until half way through the filmmakers suddenly decided to make an annoying stupid idiot too]. Maybe it was the mind numbingly repetetive dialogue with “cool” and especially “ex” said every sentence. Maybe it was the endless references to computer games, something in which I have no interest whatsoever [though admittedly that hasn’t stopped me from enjoying a few films derived/influenced by them and this film is also inspired by other things like martial arts movies and anime]. Maybe it was the many cringe inducing moments, from Scott being told he has “attained the power of love” as a flaming sword comes down from the heavens and hits him [simply one of the worst things I’ve ever seen, that one] to characters being defeated in random ways that make no sense. Maybe it was because this is supposed to be atleast partially a comedy and I don’t think I laughed once. Maybe it was because I personally think Micheal Cera has the charisma of a wet blanket. Maybe it was because though I’m pretty much against all this PC crap around nowadays, this film contains one of the most unpleasent homosexual characterisations I’ve ever seen [“the rules are different for gays”. Really!]. Maybe I just wasn’t in the mood. Whatever, the combination of all this created an experience of staggering annoyance, I haven’t seen a more irritating film for ages. To be fair the various effects are usually on the money and the film does have some well choreographed martial arts fights which we can actually see properly, a rarity in modern action cinema. I cannot deny that there is definately a vivid imagination at work here. A shame that it’s one that alienated me right from the opening titles.

check out more of my reviews on http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 352
RE: Scott Pilgrim vs Batman? - 1/9/2010 9:36:56 PM   
Edward Nygma

I'm with bigbadpoo and Empire!

That sounds awful...

I don't usually like movies which try too hard to be genuinely cool and quirky. Very few films actually get it right and, for me, films like Ghost World, American Splendour and, indeed, Scott Pilgrim HAVE managed to get it right. Kick Ass, for example, just never felt sincere or genuine in its execution of that flashy/cool/breezy style.

Ben. Affleck.

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 353
RE: 5 stars? Not for me... - 1/9/2010 9:45:57 PM   
scary_ice

quote:

I'm sorry but when you give a film 5 stars it has to be AMAZING. Can anyone honestly say this was in the same league as The Dark Knight for instance? Don't get me wrong it was good but no way deserving of 5 stars...

Why is it always so-called "serious" or "grim 'n' gritty" movies that are supposed to deserve 5 stars? People have previously stated in this thread something along the lines of "it's hardly in the same league as Lawrence of Arabia or the Godfather, is it?".

What is wrong with you lot? They are COMPLETELY different films from Scott Pilgrim. Comparing them in a like-for-like fashion is redundant and to be honest totally ridiculous.

As a cinematic experience I thought Scott Pilgrim was a blast. It had me grinning all the way through and laughing out loud frequently even though a lot of the jokes weren't new to me having read the books.

I appreciate it's the kind of thing that will probably just rub some people up the wrong way and they will bristle at it pretty much from the start but that's just the way it goes eh?

Having not been completely blown away by Inception the first time I saw it I went to see it a second time and found it exposition-heavy and a little turgid. I also wasn't as blown away by the effects as I thought I would be. It depresses me a little that people consider it and other "serious" films as more deserving of praise than something that tries to have fun. Don't people remember fun?
Post #: 354
RE: 5 stars? Not for me... - 1/9/2010 9:47:49 PM   
scary_ice

quote:

Why is it always so-called "serious" or "grim 'n' gritty" movies that are supposed to deserve 5 stars? People have previously stated in this thread something along the lines of "it's hardly in the same league as Lawrence of Arabia or the Godfather, is it?".

What is wrong with you lot? They are COMPLETELY different films from Scott Pilgrim. Comparing them in a like-for-like fashion is redundant and to be honest totally ridiculous.

As a cinematic experience I thought Scott Pilgrim was a blast. It had me grinning all the way through and laughing out loud frequently even though a lot of the jokes weren't new to me having read the books.

I appreciate it's the kind of thing that will probably just rub some people up the wrong way and they will bristle at it pretty much from the start but that's just the way it goes eh?

Having not been completely blown away by Inception the first time I saw it I went to see it a second time and found it exposition-heavy and a little turgid. I also wasn't as blown away by the effects as I thought I would be. It depresses me a little that people consider it and other "serious" films as more deserving of praise than something that tries to have fun. Don't people remember fun?
Post #: 355
RE: Scott Pilgrim Vs The World - 1/9/2010 10:11:25 PM   
R W

Director: Edgar Wright
Screenwriters: Michael Bacall, Edgar Wright
Starring: Michael Cera, Mary Elizabeth Winstead, Ellen Wong, Alison Pill, Kieran Culkin, Anna Kendrick, Jason Schwartzman

Synopsis
In his precious little life, Scott Pilgrim (Cera) is a slacker who’s the bass player in the band Sex Bob-omb, shares a single bed with his gay roommate Wallace (Culkin) and has started “dating” the young Chinese high-schooler Knives Chau (Wong). However, when Scott encounters the mysterious Ramona Flowers (Winstead), he wants to win her heart, but in order to do that, he must defeat her seven evil exes.

Review
Around the time Shaun of the Dead was coming to UK cinemas, I saw director Edgar Wright’s previous achievement, which was the cult TV series Spaced. Although I was more interested in US sitcoms like Scrubs and Frasier, Spaced (being the real standout) had a ring of truth towards its young audience, in which the believable characters had lives that were told through frequent pop culture references.

Following the success of the zombiefied Shaun and the cop-fu that is Hot Fuzz, Wright somewhat returns to Spaced territory with his latest feature, featuring a slacker who indeed versus the world. Bryan Lee O’Malley’s graphic novels that the film is based upon are very unique, as the drama/comedy delves into the lives of these slackers and explores every one of their lives in great detail, whilst the kung-fu-like action is a combination of manga-styled imagery and video-game visuals.

The tagline for this film is: “An epic of epic epicness”, which it truly is and the tagline could also been used to describe the books. Wright’s (as well as co-writer Michael Bacall’s) challenge was to turn six volumes into a near-two hour piece and for the most part he successfully captures the spirit of O’Malley’s series, in terms of capturing many of the characters’ personalities, as well as the visual gags.

Like all adaptations, you have to reduce certain plot points and backstories, and Scott Pilgrim is no exception. Surprisingly though, Wright gets through a lot of plot in less than two hours as it not just the fights between Scott and the League of Evil Exes, but the exploration towards his troublesome relationship with Ramona, which gives the film a heart and soul.

However, there is a consequence towards telling an awful lot in less than two hours as the film does become a bit baggy and moments that weren’t told in great detail. For instance, there is a scene that discusses Scott who used to date Kim Pine who’s the drummer of Sex Bob-omb. Though she is well played by Alison Pill, Kim was quite an important character in the story but has been reduced in this as just the sharp-tongued drummer who rarely smiles.

Bagginess aside, Edgar Wright is quite the brilliant technician. If you’re a follower of Wright’s work, you will see a lot of his trademarks, such as the use of dramatic camera angles and rapid-fire editing. Like the source material, the film offers a lot of pop culture references which is another trademark of Wright’s directing style. The references are not only from the books, but Wright’s love of films, television and games. Like the spoof classic Airplane, Scott Pilgrim keeps on throwing gags (that are really funny) at the screen, in which if you blink, you’ll miss it.

One of the things that the film achieves on is the epic fight sequences, in which Scott Pilgrim fights for the love of Ramona (who in one sequence uses a giant hammer to hit back). Each of the battles has their own style as the action goes from a musical number, a guitar challenge and a band-clash between Sex Bob-omb and the Katayanagi twins. It sounds completely off-the-wall, but despite all the craziness, it is visually spectacular.

If you’ve seen Superbad and Juno, the title role of Scott Pilgrim perfectly suits the acting talent of Michael Cera. Like the great Stephen Chow from Kung Fu Hustle, Cera who is often typecast in teen comedies terrifically becomes someone who’s a bit feeble but becomes a convincing action hero. He shares such lovely screen time with Mary Elizabeth Winstead, who is instantly likable the cool mysterious chick Ramona who frequently changes her hair colour.

Whilst the supporting cast have their moments to shine, including Kieran Culkin who has all the best lines as the sarcastic gay roommate, all of the evil exes are outstanding. From Lucas Lee (Chris Evans) who is a cocky Tom Cruise-like actor, to "Roxy" Richter (Mae Whitman) who is a self-conscious half-ninja during Ramona’s “sexy” phase and finally Gideon Graves (a sinister Jason Schwartzman) who is essentially the classic pantomime evil genius.

Verdict
Without the assistance of Pegg or Frost, Edgar Wright in solo form has made another mainstream cult hit that is also a fine adaptation of a brilliant comic book series, featuring slackers who know kung-fu.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 356
Scott Pilgrim > Kick-Ass - 1/9/2010 11:11:34 PM   
scary_ice

quote:

That sounds awful...

I don't usually like movies which try too hard to be genuinely cool and quirky. Very few films actually get it right and, for me, films like Ghost World, American Splendour and, indeed, Scott Pilgrim HAVE managed to get it right. Kick Ass, for example, just never felt sincere or genuine in its execution of that flashy/cool/breezy style.

I wholeheartedly agree with you. Ghost World and American Splendour are absolutely fantastic films.

I thought Kick-Ass was good fun while it lasted but it didn't really linger in my memory long and the more I thought about it the less I liked it. It's just really another teen comedy replete with dick jokes just with added gory violence. I also found the fight scenes in Kick-Ass a little boring. Hit-Girl's final assault was good though. While the fight scenes in SP do eventually get a bit repetitive they are far more accomplished and exciting.

I think while Kick-Ass sold itself as a "realistic" look at a teen superhero it's no more realistic than Pilgrim (reinforced skeletons and jetpacks) and is a more cynical film than Pilgrim which instead revels in it's youthful exuberance.

I think some people just don't seem to like anything to do with so called "indie" or"slacker" culture and find anything in that kind of area just off-putting. I could be wrong but I can't understand how people couldn't find this funny!

< Message edited by scary_ice -- 1/9/2010 11:13:58 PM >

Post #: 357
RE: - 2/9/2010 2:36:00 PM   
Rhubarb

quote:

ORIGINAL: THERAHMAN

My respect for Empire seems to be dropping at an alarming rate. Five stars should only be given to films which break the mould, and will stand the test of time forever, but 5 stars for Scott Pilgrim ?

This is literally ridiculous. How can you tell which films will stand the test of time, without you know, time? As for your respect for a magazine dropping because they don't agree with you, well I don't know what to say.

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

ORIGINAL: FritzlFan

You organisational skills sicken me, Rhubarb.

Post #: 358
RE: Scott Pilgrim > Kick-Ass - 2/9/2010 3:42:46 PM   
Edward Nygma

quote:

ORIGINAL: scary_ice

quote:

That sounds awful...

I wholeheartedly agree with you. Ghost World and American Splendour are absolutely fantastic films.

I thought Kick-Ass was good fun while it lasted but it didn't really linger in my memory long and the more I thought about it the less I liked it. It's just really another teen comedy replete with dick jokes just with added gory violence. I also found the fight scenes in Kick-Ass a little boring. Hit-Girl's final assault was good though. While the fight scenes in SP do eventually get a bit repetitive they are far more accomplished and exciting.

I think while Kick-Ass sold itself as a "realistic" look at a teen superhero it's no more realistic than Pilgrim (reinforced skeletons and jetpacks) and is a more cynical film than Pilgrim which instead revels in it's youthful exuberance.

I think some people just don't seem to like anything to do with so called "indie" or"slacker" culture and find anything in that kind of area just off-putting. I could be wrong but I can't understand how people couldn't find this funny!

Thanks, it appears we are in agreement!

It's not that I hated Kick Ass or anything, parts of it were quite decent. I just didn't think it worked in what it was trying to do. Whatever THAT was! Similarly to you, the more I thought about it, the less I liked it.

I think SP will turn out to be a love it or hate it film. Not everyone has the same sense of humour so I guess you can't please everyone with a comedy! It is the eternal curse of that genre alas...

Ben. Affleck.

(in reply to scary_ice)
Post #: 359
RE: Scott Pilgrim > Kick-Ass - 2/9/2010 4:15:21 PM   
Marwood

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: scary_ice

quote:

That sounds awful...

Thanks, it appears we are in agreement!

It's not that I hated Kick Ass or anything, parts of it were quite decent. I just didn't think it worked in what it was trying to do. Whatever THAT was! Similarly to you, the more I thought about it, the less I liked it.

I think SP will turn out to be a love it or hate it film. Not everyone has the same sense of humour so I guess you can't please everyone with a comedy! It is the eternal curse of that genre alas...

I saw Kick Ass as a parody of superhero films but presented itself as an actual film rather than take the lazy spoof option like (ugh) Superhero Movie. The violence, language etc was just a way to distinguish it from "straight" films in that sub-genre, kind of like Spider-Man meets Superbad.

I don't think Kick Ass is comparable with Scott Pilgrim beyond the superficial: they're both based on cult comics, are very quirky, had a lot of expectation but haven't made the expected commerical splash.

As for Pilgrim I did enjoy it but found it to be a bit of a hard watch. It was funny (very funny in places) and the silliness and random events really reminded me of Spaced....but something didn't quite click. I think I'll catch it again on Blu Ray but on first viewing it didn't make much of an impression. Definitely a marmite film, I think I'm one of the rare few that are on the fence.

Bilbo: What about the Ewoks? They were rubbish.

Tim: Yeah but Jar Jar Binks makes the Ewoks look like f***ing Shaft!

Post #: 360
Page:   <<   < prev  10 11 [12] 13 14   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Scott Pilgrim Vs The World Page: <<   < prev  10 11 [12] 13 14   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI