Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: UFO and the media

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> News and Hot Topics >> RE: UFO and the media Page: <<   < prev  12 13 [14] 15 16   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: UFO and the media - 1/7/2012 5:07:48 PM   
Rgirvan44

I mean, the Nazca Lines. You travel billions of light years, and need people who have only just discovered fire to draw massive pictures of birds and monkeys in order to help you land?

Even as a kid I never understood that logic.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 391
RE: UFO and the media - 1/7/2012 5:10:00 PM   
Spaldron

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

The Erich von Däniken stuff is so strange - no one REALLY took him seriously back in the 70s, but he seems to be held up as this great voice of the subject nowerdays. Having read Chariot of the Gods it is filled with the usual specalative nonsense which can be explained by experts in the actual fields of study.

It did form the basis for Prometheus though.....

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 392
RE: UFO and the media - 1/7/2012 5:11:07 PM   
superdan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spaldron

quote:

The Erich von Däniken stuff is so strange - no one REALLY took him seriously back in the 70s, but he seems to be held up as this great voice of the subject nowerdays. Having read Chariot of the Gods it is filled with the usual specalative nonsense which can be explained by experts in the actual fields of study.

And thus proof it makes no sense

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 393
RE: UFO and the media - 1/7/2012 5:12:21 PM   
Spaldron

quote:

I mean, the Nazca Lines. You travel billions of light years, and need people who have only just discovered fire to draw massive pictures of birds and monkeys in order to help you land?

Explain the mahoosive runway then.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 394
RE: UFO and the media - 1/7/2012 5:12:40 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

quote:

Lovecraft was just as big an influence, and he was doing ancient alien stories decades before Erich von Däniken. As fiction it is fun stuff. But I have yet to encounter any genuine proof.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 395
RE: UFO and the media - 1/7/2012 5:13:45 PM   
Deviation

I missed the giant penguin bones, they could have inserted them. :(

< Message edited by Deviation -- 1/7/2012 5:16:18 PM >

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 396
RE: UFO and the media - 1/7/2012 5:17:50 PM   
superdan

Lol, aliens need massive runways? Come millions of light years but need to hope the locals have built you a runway?

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 397
RE: UFO and the media - 1/7/2012 5:18:23 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

quote:

Explain the mahoosive runway then.

Well this is one of the more interesting on-going debates. A silmulation was undertaken showing the straight lines corresponding to certain stars. This is disputed by others. There is a disagreement there, but it isn't about aliens.

And by the by - the Romans were building big straight lines like this at the same time on the other side of the world. Do we think they were the work of aliens?

< Message edited by Rgirvan44 -- 1/7/2012 5:19:14 PM >

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 398
RE: UFO and the media - 1/7/2012 5:18:59 PM   
matty_b

Yeah, why exactly are we so sure these are runways?

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 399
RE: UFO and the media - 1/7/2012 5:20:27 PM   
Deviation

Would a super-advanced vehicle or spacecraft even need runways? Pretty lame if it did, not even the SJ ships in Prometheus needed those and they looked more ancient than rawlinson.

< Message edited by Deviation -- 1/7/2012 5:21:44 PM >

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 400
RE: UFO and the media - 1/7/2012 5:27:40 PM   
superdan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation

Would a super-advanced vehicle or spacecraft even need runways? Pretty lame if it did, not even the SJ ships in Prometheus needed those and they looked more ancient than rawlinson.

Everyone knows that aliens may have mastered interstellar travel but VTOL has them flummoxed. All that hovering stuff you see in films is just typical inaccurate Hollywood rubbish.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 401
RE: UFO and the media - 1/7/2012 5:30:24 PM   
BigKovacs

quote:

ORIGINAL: Woger

I don't think Sagan had any time for the idea of aliens visiting us.

He does in his book 'Intelligent Life in the Universe', he proposes that it's possible that Aliens have visited us but there's no evidence to sugget so. Thats about as serious as it gets for Ancient Astronauts.

Gamertag: Cambo1979.

(in reply to Woger)
Post #: 402
RE: UFO and the media - 1/7/2012 5:36:35 PM   
BigKovacs

quote:

ORIGINAL: NinjaShortbread212

Well, I'm sold on the belief that there is indeed alien life out there. That's based on the fact that the Universe is so vast, housing all those Suns, Moons, Galaxies etc. etc. I'm sorry but to think that man and man alone is all that exists here, is to me extremely naive. But each to their own of course.

Suggesting that alien life exists somewhere in the universe is one thing and suggesting that not only do they exists but they've played an active part in our development as a species is another thing.

(in reply to NinjaShortbread212)
Post #: 403
RE: UFO and the media - 1/7/2012 5:42:11 PM   
Dpp1978

quote:

ORIGINAL: superdan

The problem is we have no real basis for comparison - just because we exist, doesn't mean it is in any way probable that similarly intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe. For all we know, our mere existence could be one of the unlikeliest flukes in the history of the universe. And even though it's unimaginably vast, space is basically just that - space. The distances involved are beyond comprehension. I love the Bill Bryson quote from A Short History Of Nearly Everything:

“We may be only one of millions of advanced civilizations. Unfortunately, space being spacious, the average distance between any two of these civilizations is reckoned to be at least two hundred light-years, which is a great deal more than merely saying it makes it sound. It means for a start that even if these beings know we are here and are somehow able to see us in their telescopes, they're watching light that left Earth two hundred years ago. So, they're not seeing you and me. They're watching the French Revolution and Thomas Jefferson and people in silk stockings and powdered wigs--people who don't know what an atom is, or a gene, and who make their electricity by rubbing a rod of amber with a piece of fur and think that's quite a trick. Any message we receive from them is likely to begin "Dear Sire," and congratulate us on the handsomness of our horses and our mastery of whale oil. Two hundred light-years is a distance so far beyond us as to be, well, just beyond us.”

That is a really nice quote. To take it one step further: if they did see us as we were 200 years ago and sent us a message, it would take another 200 years to get here. So if we were to receive a message from these particular aliens there would be 400 years worth of lag between them observing us and us receiving that observation.

That isn't to say that 200 light years is an insurmountable distance to travel, even taking into account the limit to how fast we can travel: the speed of light.

Let us pretend our alien friends 200 light years away invite us for tea, and we decide to accept.

Einstein told us, and no-one has been clever enough to correct him, that as we move faster through space we move proportionally slower through time. It has been observed experimentally and is pretty well accepted as fact.

That means if we could invent and use a means of propulsion which would allow us to travel at speeds approaching the speed of light, from our perspective we would experience time much slower. If we found a way to propel ourselves at such a rate of speed that time as we perceive it slows down to, say, 1% of what we consider normal, we could make the journey to visit our alien friends in 2 years. At least from our perspective.

The problem is that for those who aren't travelling with us, their journey through time would carry on as normal. So we'd arrive and 200 years or so would still have passed from our alien friends' perspective since we left: 400 since they sent the invitation. Let us pretend that they are a long lived, patient bunch (or maybe they perceive time differently to us) and as we are by and large a polite people we sent an RSVP a few weeks prior to launch (which would have reached them roughly that amount of time before we did) they have a reception ready for us. The promised tea, maybe a tour of their world and an exchange of gifts etc. Then we get homesick and decide to go home, which takes another 2 years from our perspective.

When we get home more than 400 years on Earth have passed. Everyone we know will be dead or downloaded into robot bodies. Society will have moved on, ended, or maybe, just maybe the apes will have taken over. The world we arrive back to will be just as alien to us as the one we just visited. With that being the cost of exploration of the distant stars; basically giving up your home and everyone you know and love, it seems to me an awfully big ask for anyone. The whole point of exploring is telling people what you found.

Maybe the aliens who allegedly visited us were a tribe of galactic nomads who dropped in wearing space-suits that look like tribal headpieces, taught us how to make headpieces that look like space-suits and then promptly buggered off again. Maybe we are the ancestors of such a tribe marooned on Earth, or perhaps Earth was a place to deposit the dregs of their society. An intergalactic version of 19th century Australia if you will.

The point is this theory is all supposition, and no small amount of storytelling.

We like the stories that aliens have visited because they are, if well told, very entertaining. Certainly more so than many of the accepted truths. But to give them any more weight than that, without any good evidence to back it up is no different to what bible literalists do with the creation myth.

I've written before that people see what they want to see where the choice is given. Yes those statues do look like space-suits through early 21st century eyes. That doesn't make them spacesuits. It is possible our space suit helmets would look like tribal headpieces to the Aztecs.

What I do find mildly amusing in all this is that a 14th century religious painting: an expression of one faith, is being used as evidence for the theory of ancient astronauts. Which at this point relies as much on the faith of those who choose to accept it as anything those of a religious inclination choose to believe.

< Message edited by Dpp1978 -- 2/7/2012 5:02:56 PM >

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 404
RE: UFO and the media - 1/7/2012 5:42:13 PM   
BigKovacs

quote:

ORIGINAL: superdan
They also look like deep sea divers to me. And people wearing cardboard boxes on their head. And people wearing headdresses. You see what you want to see, it's evidence of nothing.

This.

It's akin to a God of the Gaps argument. If we dont have an answer for it, Aliens did it. It's an illogical leap.

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 405
RE: UFO and the media - 1/7/2012 5:46:40 PM   
superdan

quote:

And by the by - the Romans were building big straight lines like this at the same time on the other side of the world. Do we think they were the work of aliens?

The Colosseum, the Acropolis of Athens, the Hagia Sophia, the Great Wall Of China... these are all a piece of piss compared to some big drawings and long straight lines.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 406
RE: UFO and the media - 2/7/2012 12:59:30 AM   
NinjaShortbread212

quote:

quote:

This is an interesting painting, of a man in what appears to be a space ship. How would one explain away that? Remember, they would of had no clue of anything remotely close to resembling this in their time.

Sorry the image isn't that good. It was the best I could find at the minute. This also came up in the documentary last night.

Here is the full image

The explaination here is simple - frescos such as this often had the sun and the moon at either side, and often these were represetened by the mythological gods. That is all we are seeing there. The sun is on the right of Jesus, the moon is on the left.

We need to not being our 20th century thinking into this - we see spaceship - 14th C people see sun and the moon.

Fair enough. I still think there is a resemblance to spacecraft there though.

quote:

ORIGINAL: matty_b

quote:

The first two statues I added are indeed the same, I believe. I wanted a two shot one of the same to see it close up and then not so much. You could argue that this was just the ancient's way of capturing their festival attire for all to see but it's just very coincidental that they were also making, what we would recognise as spacesuits and ships. Coming out of the sky no-less, in their art back then.

That's key, though, isn't it? It's what we now think of as spaceships or spacesuits, simply because we're basing our perceptions of those images on 200-odd years of popular culture that has essentially trained our minds to recognise that as a 'spaceship'.

It literally could be anything - it's only to our contemporary minds that they look like sleek spacesuits. To their eyes at the time, it could, and 99% likely is, something else entirely.

Yes, good point. The reason why I was pinning reference so heavily to the art back then, was because that was just a small fragment, compared to the other things they believed similar in relation to that and that were very much "alien inspired", if you like.

The cultures in many parts of the ancient world paid great homage, to what we would call alien-like beings. Ie; stretching their skulls etc. It's all very interesting at the end of the day and again, we all have our own beliefs, which should be respected in their own right. None of us really know for sure what's out there but it's something to keep an eye on, I feel.

quote:

ORIGINAL: BigKovacs

quote:

Well, I'm sold on the belief that there is indeed alien life out there. That's based on the fact that the Universe is so vast, housing all those Suns, Moons, Galaxies etc. etc. I'm sorry but to think that man and man alone is all that exists here, is to me extremely naive. But each to their own of course.

Suggesting that alien life exists somewhere in the universe is one thing and suggesting that not only do they exists but they've played an active part in our development as a species is another thing.

Quite. Yet it wasn't me that originally suggested that, unfortunately. It's the influence of many a mind on documentaries by scientists and professors in that field.

Art

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 407
RE: UFO and the media - 2/7/2012 6:21:20 AM   
BigKovacs

quote:

quote:

quote:

Quite. Yet it wasn't me that originally suggested that, unfortunately. It's the influence of many a mind on documentaries by scientists and professors in that field.

Scienctists and Professors in what field, Ancient Astronauts? There aren't any, it's a pseudo science. As I said earlier, Carl Sagan gave it a nod and that's as good as it gets. Again, fields that Ancient Astronaut theorists draw from (science, history and archaeology) debunk such notions constantly.

It's a fun idea but it can't and shouldn't be taken seriously.

Post #: 408
RE: UFO and the media - 2/7/2012 12:43:54 PM   
great_badir

quote:

They just look like variations of this

That guy looks WAY to drunk to be driving a motorcycle...

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 409
RE: UFO and the media - 2/7/2012 3:59:10 PM   
Woger

quote:

quote:

He does in his book 'Intelligent Life in the Universe', he proposes that it's possible that Aliens have visited us but there's no evidence to sugget so. Thats about as serious as it gets for Ancient Astronauts.

He did say possible, he also said in one of his books that "extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. That sums up my view also, i'm not so arrogant to think earth is the only place supprting life but I don't buy (like mentioned above) that our ancestors had to build them runuways for their advanced technology (I liked the idea that the Nazca lines are for rituals where the people would ingest LSD type substances that made them think they could fly so these lines are for them to look upon).
I see National Geographic have a new show coming out along the line of Ghost Hunters and that recent bigfoot one, a bunch of people with glorified neck braces running around thinking their seeing something that's not there.

Eddie: "Weve been burgaled"
Richie: You may have been, but I have never in my life. As a christian I am so tightly clenched, oh you mean burgaled
- - -
There were originally five horsemen of the apocalypse. Jack Bauer said he would travel by foot

(in reply to BigKovacs)
Post #: 410
RE: UFO and the media - 2/7/2012 4:26:04 PM   
Spaldron

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Scienctists and Professors in what field, Ancient Astronauts? There aren't any, it's a pseudo science. As I said earlier, Carl Sagan gave it a nod and that's as good as it gets. Again, fields that Ancient Astronaut theorists draw from (science, history and archaeology) debunk such notions constantly.

Seriously stop calling it Ancient Astronauts!

(in reply to BigKovacs)
Post #: 411
RE: UFO and the media - 2/7/2012 4:51:17 PM   
Chief

I think he meant Ancient Astronauts as in the name of the theory, not the hokum loony bait TV show.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 412
RE: UFO and the media - 2/7/2012 5:02:53 PM   
Rgirvan44

Yeah it is called the Ancient Astronaut Theory. I question exactly what the experts are experts of, since they clearly seem to have no concern for actually assessing the evidence they talk about in these documentaries.

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 413
RE: UFO and the media - 2/7/2012 5:05:42 PM   
superdan

If there's one thing conspiracy/alien programmes have taught me, it's that you can wheel an 'expert' out for any crackpot theory.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 414
RE: UFO and the media - 2/7/2012 5:11:31 PM   
Rgirvan44

The best of these shows was Destination Truth because the main host openly mocked the monsters/aliens stories that they were trying to find.

He didn't believe in it anymore than the audience, and as such the show was a lot more fun.

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 415
RE: UFO and the media - 2/7/2012 5:13:49 PM   
elab49

quote:

As Rgirv said though, the respresentation is fairly consistent with the history of the science of astronomy. The concept of the crystalline spheres, e.g., would give certain shapes to the drawings they were making because they weren't looking at balls of gas etc. It's like someone looked at that pic and thought 'oh that looks like' but then didn't first try to explain it - they went straight to spaceships.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

Post #: 416
RE: UFO and the media - 2/7/2012 5:14:17 PM   
BigKovacs

quote:

quote:

quote:

He did say possible, he also said in one of his books that "extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. That sums up my view also, i'm not so arrogant to think earth is the only place supprting life but I don't buy (like mentioned above) that our ancestors had to build them runuways for their advanced technology (I liked the idea that the Nazca lines are for rituals where the people would ingest LSD type substances that made them think they could fly so these lines are for them to look upon).

I agree.

quote:

I see National Geographic have a new show coming out along the line of Ghost Hunters and that recent bigfoot one, a bunch of people with glorified neck braces running around thinking their seeing something that's not there.

Yeah I'm not holding my breath either.

(in reply to Woger)
Post #: 417
RE: UFO and the media - 2/7/2012 5:17:47 PM   
BigKovacs

quote:

Seriously stop calling it Ancient Astronauts!

Read what Chief said.

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 418
RE: UFO and the media - 2/7/2012 8:56:03 PM   
sharkboy

If you want to see just how creative ancient artists could be, just stand in Chichen Itza and look at the friezes along the ball park - there's some seriously creative work there! And those full-face headdresses were worn by pretty much all mesoamerican cultures across central and south America. I've seen carvings in Mayan museums that showed headwear pretty much like that last photo above.

Quoting Erich von Daniken in support of a theory is a quick way to undermine that theory IMO. He holds as much credence today among scientists as he did when he was being ridiculed and exposed in pretty much every serious scientific community - pretty much zero. He was a fraudulent (convicted) quack with absolutely zero scientific credentials whose crackpot theories found a home with people who were searching beyond logic and for whom religion wasn't the answer, at a time when the whole extraterrestrial question was a hot topic. And since he's been quoted (incorrectly) as a believer in the ancient astronaut theory, you'll find Sagan's thoughts on EvD interesting:

quote:

I also hope for the continuing popularity of books like Chariots of the Gods? in high school and college logic courses, as object lessons in sloppy thinking. I know of no recent books so riddled with logical and factual errors as the works of von Däniken

Sagan's oft-misquoted comment about the possibliity of ancient visitors was simply an acknowledgement that, until proved otherwise, there is indeed a rational possibility that it is true, but most evidence says it's pseudo-science and nothing more.

Seeing spaceships in religious paintings is no different than 21st century eyes seeing the helicopter in the heiroglyphs (posted earlier). We see a helicopter because that shape is more familiar to us than the heiroglyphs that actually spell out something consistent with the rest of the carvings. If people had looked 150 years ago, they would have seen something very different.

As for Nazca, there was a brilliant documentary a few years ago that used archaeology, social anthropology and, ya know, science to put together a theory based on the facts it could find. Like, for example - fact: the Nazca plateau wasn't always the driest place on earth and used to have enough water to support a thriving culture. Fact: geological and meterological tests have shown that at the same time as the lines were created, the rains stopped and a serious drought began that has continued to this day. Fact: the images on the desert plain equate to animals and deities that the inhabitants of Nazca worshipped, as found in the archaeological diggings in the area. Fact:the civilisation was more than able to map out straight lines and complex designs as proven in their cities and buildings. So, taking all this into account, the scientists came up with the theory that the lines were in fact "prayer paths" that were also used elsewhere in S America. The penitent would walk the lines in an appeal to the gods to bring the rain. The longer the rains stayed away, the more the people walked the lines, wearing paths into the dry desert earth that, because of the incredibly arid climate, their remoteness and the fact that the area is now protected, have stayed their to this day

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to BigKovacs)
Post #: 419
RE: UFO and the media - 3/7/2012 1:03:09 AM   
NinjaShortbread212

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I'd have to do a bit of Google research to find out the exact persons involved in the documentaries I've watched over the past few days. However, my point was this, isn't it exciting, to think that there could be other lifeforms out there and knowing (although not really fully) how big the galaxy is, that we're possibly not alone.

I find it almost comforting to listen open mindedly, to both sides of an argument. It's a controversial topic, sure but just because someone says "this is how it is" in their eyes, they really don't know for sure that that's how it is. These documentaries are great for hearing about specific times in history and also imagining what our ancestors possibly did witness back then.

quote:

quote:

As Rgirv said though, the respresentation is fairly consistent with the history of the science of astronomy. The concept of the crystalline spheres, e.g., would give certain shapes to the drawings they were making because they weren't looking at balls of gas etc. It's like someone looked at that pic and thought 'oh that looks like' but then didn't first try to explain it - they went straight to spaceships.

Good point. There were however, other drawings dating back thousands of years on caves etc, that literally resemble "little green men". They do not look like us homosapiens one bit (with regards to face and body structure) and also the other objects painted beside them, were of what look like variations on spacecraft too.

There's many a theory and explanation I know. Perhaps my judgement is a little clouded but I just love the thought that we're potentially not alone in the Universe and that in the past, their was perhaps some level of communication between us and other worlds.

Art

(in reply to BigKovacs)
Post #: 420
Page:   <<   < prev  12 13 [14] 15 16   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> News and Hot Topics >> RE: UFO and the media Page: <<   < prev  12 13 [14] 15 16   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI