Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Stallone Ponders Rambo Prequel

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Stallone Ponders Rambo Prequel Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Stallone Ponders Rambo Prequel - 30/7/2010 10:03:40 AM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
RE: Stallone Ponders Rambo Prequel - 30/7/2010 11:33:15 AM   
BikerScout

Get Milo Ventimiglia to beef up and grow a mullet.

Casting solved. You're welcome.
Post #: 2
RE: WHY?! - 30/7/2010 1:03:39 PM   
LEEJGM

Yep, I agree - Ventigimilia on steroids is the way forward.  I've said so numerous times in previous threads about him being a young Rambo.
We could get to see Rambo's elite group mentioned in First Blood and possibly his capture, torture and escaape from the camp featured in Part 2.
I'm normally not so big on prequels but I'd like to see this.    
Post #: 3
RE: Stallone Ponders Rambo Prequel - 30/7/2010 1:25:20 PM   
theieuan

quote:

ORIGINAL: BikerScout

Get Milo Ventimiglia to beef up and grow a mullet.

Casting solved. You're welcome.

I think that's a great shout

You know, this place makes me wonder...Which would be worse, to live as a monster or die as a good man?

(in reply to BikerScout)
Post #: 4
RE: Stallone Ponders Rambo Prequel - 30/7/2010 6:08:56 PM   
Invader_Ace

This film would be a mistake.  Do not do it.

How are you going to go back to Vietnam in any sort of serious drama capacity and satisfy fans of the later action hero style Rambo?  How are you going to satisfy the fans of action hero Rambo, without pissing on the messed up drama style Rambo who breaks down in tears in First Blood?

< Message edited by Invader_Ace -- 30/7/2010 6:09:20 PM >

(in reply to theieuan)
Post #: 5
- 30/7/2010 9:05:43 PM   
Marcus Aurelius

But who would play Trautman? Hopefully not Sly...

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 6
RE: Stallone Ponders Rambo Prequel - 31/7/2010 11:38:13 AM   
jobloffski

quote:

ORIGINAL: Invader_Ace

This film would be a mistake.  Do not do it.

How are you going to go back to Vietnam in any sort of serious drama capacity and satisfy fans of the later action hero style Rambo?  How are you going to satisfy the fans of action hero Rambo, without pissing on the messed up drama style Rambo who breaks down in tears in First Blood?

Simple...Make a film that serves itself, not expectations...

Have a story that incorporates

1) Basic, naive gung-ho unit arriving in Vietnam, of which Rambo is a part, just one of the guys, ready to kick some ass for the US of A.

2) The actual experience of combat is horrifying, terrifying and disorienting, Rambo comes into his own. He can take it, and his strength is inspiring to his mates, even a challenge to the authority of the higher ranks, with whom he argues, his instincts for what will keep them safest (not just him) conflict with accepted military strategy. But at first, the war experience can be presented asd almost boys own adventure, then getting darker as more exposure to it starts to wear away the naivety of all concerned (the film taking the tone matching Rambo's own character development)

3) Rambo's group get cut off and he disobeys orders to try and get them out. Traditional Rambo expectations set up. But his attempt at rescue is an abject failure his men are obliterated before his very eyes, finally showing us the very things that brought the tears out of his eyes in First Blood. He can kill many many enemies here, but he has failed, and nothing will ever change that. Thus, the yee-ha style opening that would play into the cliches of what is expected of a Rambo film, but still allow the film eventually develop into the dramatic style necessary to show how the character we know is created (by showing him being broken by experiences).

4) Rambo gets a honourable discharge, having gone form gung-ho homeboy at the start to the kind of haunted looking figure he cast in the most recent film. He is told basically, cheer up, you're going home. But nobody wants to actually talk to him, not the superiors who ignored his suggestions (and then expected him to let his mates die when they were cut off), not anybody with still some of their tour of duty to serve, and certainly not the new grunts (whether nervous or All-American just like him at the start). He's no longer part of the well oiled machine, he's a rusty chewed up cog and persona non grata

Her knows he's no longer of any use to the services, they're done with him. He's done with them, he just wants to get away. Go home. Perhaps there's something there for him.

We already know ther wont be any sweet homecoming for him. Casting Milo V would totally work (he's already played Rocky's Son, so the resemblence has obviously been noted and traded on), and a plot that starts pre-Rambo as we know him would allow the tragedy of the character to be heightened, and leaving him with hope at the end that things will get better when he gets home increases the tragedy further.

Best I can do off the top of my head.

Yes, dreamers dream and doers do. But if dreamers DON'T dream, doers don't have anything TO do. Everything that is only here because people exist, only exists because someone thought of it., or in other words, dreamed it.

(in reply to Invader_Ace)
Post #: 7
RE: Stallone Ponders Rambo Prequel - 31/7/2010 3:06:17 PM   
BobM70

Ah Prequels....Never fond of "em.

But in this case it would sound logical. Rambo is one of the monumental movie characters. And the last film, while overly violent and rather straight forward action stuff, was a nice little film. The character of Rambo surfaced in First Blood, after having fought in Vietnam. Psychologically there could be something to explore. Trauma's, losses, missed opportunities etcetera.
The only problem is: can Sly make it into a movie like that?

And it can't get any worse than the Star Wars prequels.

It's not how long it takes, it's who's taking you...

(in reply to jobloffski)
Post #: 8
RE: Stallone Ponders Rambo Prequel - 1/8/2010 5:11:24 PM   
MarcE

Wouldn't a prequel of Rambo just be a Vietnam film! I think it could end up looking like Rambo 2 if not done properly.

(in reply to BobM70)
Post #: 9
You just don't turn it off! - 1/8/2010 6:34:02 PM   
Barneyross1

Sly is John Rambo....no one else could play him!

Post #: 10
love to see it - 1/8/2010 7:24:45 PM   
leroythemasochist

and I also can't wait to see Expendables.
My reasons are:
Cuz it'll be cool to see some real action heroes again.
and to get rid of that bloody A team shite.

Post #: 11
Dustin Hoffmann was originally cast... - 1/8/2010 10:51:06 PM   
reinhardt76

Seriously... he said "I was the first one to be asked to do 'Rambo', but it was a little too much violence." That i would of paid to see

Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Stallone Ponders Rambo Prequel Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI