Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Proposed USS Indianapolis Films - War, Sharks, Death And Sharks

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Future Films >> Proposed USS Indianapolis Films - War, Sharks, Death And Sharks Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Proposed USS Indianapolis Films - War, Sharks, Death An... - 10/2/2006 4:01:08 PM   
Timon

"Japanese submarine slammed two torpedoes into her side, Chief. We was comin' back from the island of Tinian to Leyte. We'd just delivered the bomb. The Hiroshima bomb. Eleven hundred men went into the water. Vessel went down in 12 minutes. Didn't see the first shark for about a half-hour. Tiger. 13-footer. You know how you know that in the water, Chief? You can tell by lookin' from the dorsal to the tail. What we didn't know, was that our bomb mission was so secret, no distress signal had been sent. They didn't even list us overdue for a week. Very first light, Chief, sharks come cruisin' by, so we formed ourselves into tight groups. It was sorta like you see in the calendars, you know the infantry squares in the old calendars like the Battle of Waterloo and the idea was the shark come to the nearest man, that man he starts poundin' and hollerin' and sometimes that shark he go away... but sometimes he wouldn't go away. Sometimes that shark looks right at ya. Right into your eyes. And the thing about a shark is he's got lifeless eyes. Black eyes. Like a doll's eyes. When he comes at ya, he doesn't even seem to be livin'... 'til he bites ya, and those black eyes roll over white and then... ah then you hear that terrible high-pitched screamin'. The ocean turns red, and despite all your poundin' and your hollerin' those sharks come in and... they rip you to pieces. You know by the end of that first dawn, lost a hundred men. I don't know how many sharks there were, maybe a thousand. I do know how many men, they averaged six an hour. Thursday mornin', Chief, I bumped into a friend of mine, Herbie Robinson from Cleveland. Baseball player. Boson's mate. I thought he was asleep. I reached over to wake him up. He bobbed up, down in the water, he was like a kinda top. Upended. Well, he'd been bitten in half below the waist. At noon on the fifth day, a Lockheed Ventura swung in low and he spotted us, a young pilot, lot younger than Mr. Hooper here, anyway he spotted us and a few hours later a big ol' fat PBY come down and started to pick us up. You know that was the time I was most frightened. Waitin' for my turn. I'll never put on a lifejacket again. So, eleven hundred men went into the water. 316 men come out, the sharks took the rest, June the 29th, 1945."

Ever since the first time i saw Jaws i thought that the story of the USS Indianapolis would make a great film.

Over the years there have been several attempted projects and i think at the moment, it's down to two possibilities.

- THE GOOD SAILOR written by Brent Hanley (who wrote FRAILTY) which was meant to be directed by JJ Abrams for Universal. The project had first been banded around by Ron Howard, Peter Weir and Russell Crowe and it's still possible that they may work on the project in the future.

- OPTIMISTIC (written by Richard Kelly (DONNIE DARKO writer/director) )which is close to being picked up by another big studio....so i hear.

A few months ago, a casting call went out for The Good Sailor -
"The Good Sailor"
Looking for males 18- 45 all types
Deals with the sinking of the USS Indianapolis on July 30, 1945. When the ship was torpedoed by a Japanese submarine, 900 sailors were left stranded in shark-infested waters
..........but Abrams went on to do MI3...it's possible he might come back to it after the film's release.

Someone at Aintitcool.com got their hands on the script for OPTIMISTIC and apparantly "Richard Kelly cuts the script neatly in half... the first half building character and tension, the second half being some of the most harsh and graphic and disturbing shark attacks I've read".

No matter, what the script...i can't wait. WWII, sinking ships, sharks.....do you need to be sold anymore?

< Message edited by Timon -- 27/9/2007 12:48:28 PM >

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh
Post #: 1
RE: USS Indianapolis Films - 10/2/2006 4:30:59 PM   
Woger

Was Mel Gibson attached to this years ago?
It is a good story and that scene in Jaws is deadly, but do you not think that this may be a bit distasteful, its not like these men died in some heroic battle but they died awful deaths. If it was a fictional story it would be different. the reason people will see this film is because of all the sharks and sharks are cool as fuck. I'd still see it but I'd feel uneasy.

Eddie: "Weve been burgaled"
Richie: You may have been, but I have never in my life. As a christian I am so tightly clenched, oh you mean burgaled
- - -
There were originally five horsemen of the apocalypse. Jack Bauer said he would travel by foot

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 2
RE: USS Indianapolis Films - 10/2/2006 4:57:55 PM   
Timon

Yeah......back in 2001.

Mel Gibson Taking on SHARK? (USS Indianapolis story)
Mel Gibson, who seems to be busier than ever these days with WE WERE SOLDIERS and M. Night Shyamalan's SIGNS, has entered into early talks to star in Warner Bros.' THE CAPTAIN AND THE SHARK project.
The film, which will be directed by Barry Levinson, is based on Doug Stanton's book IN HARM'S WAY, which tells the true story of the USS Indianoplis. In the latter days of World War II, the Indianoplis was on a covert mission to transport components of the atomic bombs that would eventually be dropped on Japan. After fulfilling that part of their mission, the ship was sunk in the South Pacific, sending its men into the sea... while no one seemed to know that they had sunk or that they were even there. For nearly a week, hundreds of men attempted to stay alive while sharks picked them off one by one, until they were sighted and saved.
Should he sign on, Gibson will play Capt. Charles McVay, the USS Indianapolis skipper.
Meanwhile, word has it that Gibson is being courted by Universal to play the exact same role in their project based on the event called THE GOOD SAILOR. Variety reports that Gibson is leaning towards CAPTAIN pending a rewrite of the script by John Hoffman script that is being done by Levinson.
Mark Gordon, Paula Weinstein and Betsy Beers will produce THE CAPTAIN AND THE SHARK.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

(in reply to Woger)
Post #: 3
RE: USS Indianapolis Films - 10/2/2006 6:43:05 PM   
Timon

Looking on the net, there's apparantly been a film made about the event....a TV movie.....Mission Of The Shark!

Mission Of The Shark Poster

According to imdb.com, it's got a decent rating from viewers and stars Stacy Keach (Warden Pope from Prison Break) and David Caruso (Horatio from CSI: Miami). Now to see if i can find it on DVD, any help would be appreciated.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 4
RE: USS Indianapolis Films - 11/3/2006 4:07:44 PM   
Timon

If they do make "The Good Sailor", do you reckon they should have a character, even if it's just a minor one called Quint? Just for a nod to Jaws?

And does anyone know that if MI3 is a hit, whether JJ Abrams will go ahead with directing duties on this?

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 5
RE: USS Indianapolis Films - 11/3/2006 5:21:34 PM   
doctorolorinbats1975

quote:

ORIGINAL: Woger

Was Mel Gibson attached to this years ago?
It is a good story and that scene in Jaws is deadly, but do you not think that this may be a bit distasteful, its not like these men died in some heroic battle but they died awful deaths. If it was a fictional story it would be different. the reason people will see this film is because of all the sharks and sharks are cool as fuck. I'd still see it but I'd feel uneasy.

I have to agree. Besides, it could make a pretty dull film: 70 minutes of protracted tension in the sea isn't my idea of a night out.

CG, stop motion, acting, animation, animatronics, whatever, it's 24 lies a second...

Critiquing words for dummies: Pretentious, overrated, sentimental, indulgent, populist.

(in reply to Woger)
Post #: 6
RE: USS Indianapolis Films - 12/3/2006 4:29:29 PM   
Timon

quote:

70 minutes of protracted tension in the sea isn't my idea of a night out.

No? I think it would great. A nerve racking experience from start to finish. It would be an incredible challange for the filmmakers though.

(in reply to doctorolorinbats1975)
Post #: 7
RE: USS Indianapolis Films - 12/3/2006 4:56:48 PM   
Mr E

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

Looking on the net, there's apparantly been a film made about the event....a TV movie.....Mission Of The Shark!

Mission Of The Shark Poster

According to imdb.com, it's got a decent rating from viewers and stars Stacy Keach (Warden Pope from Prison Break) and David Caruso (Horatio from CSI: Miami). Now to see if i can find it on DVD, any help would be appreciated.

Yes I think I remember seeing some of this on TV once. To be honest I thought it was a bit too cheap and tacky to really appreciate it. In fact I thought it was shit.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 8
RE: USS Indianapolis Films - 12/3/2006 5:03:50 PM   
Zatoichi

If they could make the whole film as effective as that speech from Jaws, then I'd be excited.

"You're so consumed by your personal vengeance against life, whether it be its inherent cruelties or its mysteries, that everything takes on a warped significance to fit your meglo-maniacal cosmology."
"Scully, are you coming on to me?"

(in reply to Mr E)
Post #: 9
RE: USS Indianapolis Films - 12/3/2006 5:30:47 PM   
Dave B

This film could be so good if Spielberg directed it, Jaws and Jurassic Park shows he can build up the tension brilliantly and that would be ideal for a film like this. Not to mention the Jaws connection, it all makes perfect sense.

Hey, what's with the flying jerks?

(in reply to Zatoichi)
Post #: 10
RE: USS Indianapolis Films - 12/3/2006 7:19:11 PM   
doubleshiny

quote:

quote:

70 minutes of protracted tension in the sea isn't my idea of a night out.

No? I think it would great. A nerve racking experience from start to finish. It would be an incredible challange for the filmmakers though.

What was that one, with the sharks and the people in the sea? And then they got ate? That was like that.

"Claire, that's disgusting" - Sylar, Season 3

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 11
RE: USS Indianapolis Films - 12/3/2006 7:35:41 PM   
Timon

Open Water....which i never saw unfortunatly. Any good?

(in reply to doubleshiny)
Post #: 12
RE: USS Indianapolis Films - 12/3/2006 7:53:55 PM   
Dave B

quote:

Open Water....which i never saw unfortunatly. Any good?

Nope. I think Brian's, form Family Guy, review about the Blair Witch sums it up perfectly. "Nothings happening, nothings happening. Its over." *Turns around* "People look pissed."

Hey, what's with the flying jerks?

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 13
RE: USS Indianapolis Films - 17/3/2006 4:48:06 PM   
daKlone

Has anyone read Harry Stauntons "In Harms Way"?

It'll give you a real feel for both the horror of the situation the sailors find themselves in and the series of unfortunate events that conspire to prevent their timely rescue.

(in reply to Dave B)
Post #: 14
RE: USS Indianapolis Films - 28/3/2006 8:08:16 PM   
Timon

quote:

ORIGINAL: daKlone

It'll give you a real feel for both the horror of the situation the sailors find themselves in and the series of unfortunate events that conspire to prevent their timely rescue.

Haven't read it but it's meant to be the book that's been mostly adapted for any possible film.

(in reply to daKlone)
Post #: 15
RE: USS Indianapolis Films - 28/3/2006 8:34:54 PM   
sharkboy

Well, it might come as no surprise to hear that I've seen Mission of the Shark and also read In Harms Way.  Mission of the Shark was a pretty respectable movie that dealt less with the shark element and more with the harsh treatment of McVay by the powers that be - they basically turned him into a scapegoat, accusing him of failing to take the correct evasive zig-zag manouvres when sailing through enemy waters which they claimed directly led to the ship being hit.  Keach is pretty believable in the role and it's definitely worth a watch if it ever comes on TV (it was frequently on Sky a few years ago).

In Harms Way is a terrific book that manages to be reverential to the victims while horrifically conveying their tales - one survivor recalls how he saw his friend bobbing before him "asleep" - when he nudged him, the body flipped over to reveal that it had been bitten clean in half.  It recounts the landing of the spotter planes and how that was when they were most afraid - to be taken by sharks when their rescuers were in sight was just to cruel to contemplate.

I heard about the possible big-screen treatment a few years ago and would love to see this tale getting the exposure it deserved - perhaps that might help McVay's family get the justice they deserve too.

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 16
RE: USS Indianapolis Films - 28/3/2006 11:10:43 PM   
Timon

Consider the book ordered.

It's only 1p on Amazon marketplace. Bargain basement

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 17
RE: USS Indianapolis Films - 9/4/2006 8:47:35 PM   
Timon

quote:

ORIGINAL: daKlone

Halfway through the book and it's not just men in water and sharks.

You have delirium, problems of raft building, insanity as sailors turn on each other etc etc. It's not just a shark story. It could be a truely terrifying look at how people cope under severe pressures.....think of it as Alive on the high seas!

(in reply to daKlone)
Post #: 18
RE: USS Indianapolis Films - 6/6/2006 3:45:27 PM   
Timon

Finished the book...it was awesome, however with JJ Abrams now off the project and resurrecting Star Trek - what will happen to the proposed film?

At the moment it seems that all work on THE GOOD SAILOR has ground to a halt - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0443522/

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 19
RE: USS Indianapolis Films - 29/6/2006 8:36:04 AM   
Timon

It's back on!

From Comingsoon.net today.

Robert Nelson Jacobs has been tapped to pen a version of Universal Pictures' untitled Hunter Scott project, says Variety.

Previously known as U.S.S. Indianapolis and The Good Sailor, the project has been in development at the studio since 1998 and has undergone
various
rewrites.

Jacobs has been hired to do a major overhaul, with helmer J.J. Abrams in mind to direct. While Abrams has been attached for some time, no decision has been made on whether it will be his next
film

The story centers on Hunter Scott, who caused a stir when the research he did for a school history project caused a re-examination of the
case
of U.S.S. Indianapolis Capt. Charles McVeigh, who had been court-martialed and blamed for the WWII sinking of the ship and the loss of the sailors.

Jacobs' version will create a fictional relationship between Scott and an aging survivor of the ship disaster.

Jacobs previously penned The Shipping News and The Water Horse, which is in front of cameras for Walden Media and Revolution Studios.

I guess it'll be a case of 'wait and see' on which direction this version will take. Whether it'll be a dramatic retelling of the events or whether that'll be done in flashbacks.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 20
RE: USS Indianapolis Films - 31/8/2006 8:56:18 AM   
Timon

I imagine this is probably on hold now till Abrams resurrects the Trek franchise. Here's hoping he's does a good job so he can get a decent budget for this.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 21
RE: USS Indianapolis Films - 6/9/2006 7:12:21 PM   
danbo1138

i,ve just had a sex wee,gimmi this film now god damn it(no crappy cg sharks though)

Come against me, if you dare! I am the storm! Come if you dare, Shai'tan! I am the Dragon Reborn!

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 22
RE: USS Indianapolis Films - 6/12/2006 8:35:59 AM   
Timon

Woo woo, it's back on!

Warner Bros. has hired Open Water director Chris Kentis and producer Laura Lau for Indianapolis, an adaptation of the Douglas Stanton book "In Harm's Way," reports Variety.

The story concerns WWII's U.S.S. Indianapolis, sunk by a Japanese sub following a secret mission to deliver materials for the atomic bomb that would be dropped on Hiroshima. The men floated for five days in the Philippine Sea; only 317 of an estimated 900 who abandoned ship were pulled from the shark-infested waters.

Lau will come aboard to produce with Mark Gordon, Akiva Goldsman and Betsy Beers.

The trade adds that Universal Pictures has a rival project that J.J. Abrams is eyeing based on the story of a youth whose
school research project helped force a posthumous reconsideration of the ship's court-martialed captain, Charles McVay.

Indianapolis will be fleshed out with backstory on why the ship's distress signal went unheeded, how the survivors were spotted accidentally and how the military made a scapegoat of McVay, who eventually died from a self-inflicted gunshot.

Director of Open Water eh? Could we be having hundreds of real sharks?!

(in reply to danbo1138)
Post #: 23
RE: USS Indianapolis Films - 6/12/2006 10:50:37 AM   
Woger

quote:

Woo woo, it's back on!

Warner Bros. has hired Open Water director Chris Kentis and producer Laura Lau for Indianapolis, an adaptation of the Douglas Stanton book "In Harm's Way," reports Variety.

The story concerns WWII's U.S.S. Indianapolis, sunk by a Japanese sub following a secret mission to deliver materials for the atomic bomb that would be dropped on Hiroshima. The men floated for five days in the Philippine Sea; only 317 of an estimated 900 who abandoned ship were pulled from the shark-infested waters.

Lau will come aboard to produce with Mark Gordon, Akiva Goldsman and Betsy Beers.

The trade adds that Universal Pictures has a rival project that J.J. Abrams is eyeing based on the story of a youth whose
school research project helped force a posthumous reconsideration of the ship's court-martialed captain, Charles McVay.

Indianapolis will be fleshed out with backstory on why the ship's distress signal went unheeded, how the survivors were spotted accidentally and how the military made a scapegoat of McVay, who eventually died from a self-inflicted gunshot.

Director of Open Water eh? Could we be having hundreds of real sharks?!

Or a very short film, or maybe frontal nudity!!!!!

Eddie: "Weve been burgaled"
Richie: You may have been, but I have never in my life. As a christian I am so tightly clenched, oh you mean burgaled
- - -
There were originally five horsemen of the apocalypse. Jack Bauer said he would travel by foot

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 24
RE: USS Indianapolis Films - 7/12/2006 10:24:01 AM   
Timon

Whatever your feelings towards the film, you have to admit the director of Open Water handled the tension of being in shark infested waters well.

Well at least, i thought he did.

(in reply to Woger)
Post #: 25
RE: Proposed USS Indianapolis Films - War, Sharks, Deat... - 12/1/2007 8:37:44 PM   
Timon

I found this on Amazon

Click Here NOW

This has to be another USS Indianapolis film like Mission of the Shark with John Rhys Davis. Does anyone know anything about it? Sharkboy?

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 26
RE: Proposed USS Indianapolis Films - War, Sharks, Deat... - 12/1/2007 8:42:59 PM   
Timon

Whoops

Or not. Click here for imdb.com page.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 27
RE: Proposed USS Indianapolis Films - War, Sharks, Deat... - 13/1/2007 12:50:31 PM   
jonson

Being a self-confessed shark and Jaws fan, I'm looking forward to this.
Just ordered the book now (3.09 - bargain)

quote:

Whatever your feelings towards the film, you have to admit the director of Open Water handled the tension of being in shark infested waters well.

Well at least, i thought he did.

I agree. I enjoyed Open Water (certainly at the cinema anyway) and I thought on such a small budget, the director got the tension and horror of the situation just about right. It'll be a lot harder to recreate the tension as we all know, 700-odd men lost their lives to the sharks in this particular story. I imagine the carnage may be slightly higher than it was in OW.

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 28
RE: Proposed USS Indianapolis Films - War, Sharks, Deat... - 13/2/2007 12:11:03 PM   
jonson

Just finished the book and boy, is this going to be a difficult movie to film.
The book is nothing short of horrifying, I had tears in my eyes as he described the madness the drinking of sea water brought on, with at least 50 sailors killing each other and themselves brought on by the conditions they found themselves in.
It's fantastic story of survival and would definately benefit a big screen showing.

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 29
RE: Proposed USS Indianapolis Films - War, Sharks, Deat... - 13/2/2007 12:16:55 PM   
Timon

quote:

ORIGINAL: jonson

Just finished the book and boy, is this going to be a difficult movie to film.
The book is nothing short of horrifying, I had tears in my eyes as he described the madness the drinking of sea water brought on, with at least 50 sailors killing each other and themselves brought on by the conditions they found themselves in.
It's fantastic story of survival and would definately benefit a big screen showing.

Absolutly. Especially when some survivors turned on each other due to madness.

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Future Films >> Proposed USS Indianapolis Films - War, Sharks, Death And Sharks Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI