Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

At The Mountains of Madness

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Future Films >> At The Mountains of Madness Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
At The Mountains of Madness - 29/7/2010 7:03:50 AM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/45949

Finally! This is going to be immense, I'm so glad it's finally been given the go ahead!

Pack your bags, we're going on a guilt trip!
Post #: 1
RE: At The Mountains of Madness - 29/7/2010 10:29:20 AM   
pete_traynor

At long, fucking, last! But this will be tricky to say the least! Transforming Lovecraft’s, mind boggling at times, scientific journal text into an appealing script for movie going audiences is going to be a hard thing to pull off. Del Toro has been saying for years that he has been unable to crack the script. Also not sure about Cameron producing and filming in 3D with his gear. He wouldn’t shoot the Hobbit in 3D (rightfully so) and I don’t believe its needed here either.

But either way, if he gets this right! I may even forgive him for having gotten Hellboy completely and utterly wrong. Twice!  

EXTREMELY LIMITED 1/1 FILM DIRECTOR HAND DRAWN ORIGINALS COMING SOON - http://lomierart.blogspot.co.uk/

(in reply to DONOVAN KURTWOOD)
Post #: 2
RE: At The Mountains of Madness - 29/7/2010 10:47:18 AM   
Deviation

Cameron?

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to pete_traynor)
Post #: 3
RE: At The Mountains of Madness - 29/7/2010 11:35:31 AM   
pete_traynor

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation

Cameron?

Fraid so Dev. Well, at least that's what /film are reporting. He recently said he wouldn't produce again? But he's making an exception for this... of course?

Mo capped, mutated, 8 ft alien subterranean Lovecraftian penguins. Wrapped up in all three dimensions of the cinematic future?

This film should fit a very traditional and macabre tone for me, which 3D doesn't fit. The book is chlling. Much like 3Ding up the wonderful 'The Women in Black', please keep it. 3D is alright for big budget sci fi and things of the like if you must, I'll give that a go with the likes of Tron etc. But not for creepy period pieces like these. Flat film please...

< Message edited by pete_traynor -- 29/7/2010 11:54:44 AM >

EXTREMELY LIMITED 1/1 FILM DIRECTOR HAND DRAWN ORIGINALS COMING SOON - http://lomierart.blogspot.co.uk/

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 4
RE: At The Mountains of Madness - 29/7/2010 4:12:54 PM   
Scott_

Without Cameron I doubt Universal would back a project like this so I'm glad he's on board even with his 3D fetish. Great news though, been waiting ages for Del Toro to do this one.

"You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig."

Check out my top 21 films - http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3188740

360 Gamertag - SmokinFuzz

Post #: 5
RE: At The Mountains of Madness - 23/9/2010 12:25:13 PM   
Macavity

I've only read the wikipedia plot summary of the book so probably not such a great judge but it sounds very different. I thought I knew where it was going but then there's the giant penguins. Judging how Warner Bros. passed on it I'm guessing Del Toro's been pretty faithful.
How the hell is this going to work? It sounds like The Thing crossed with The Ruins with additional creatures supplied by Miyazaki. Awesome title mind.

Has anyone read the book?

(in reply to Scott_)
Post #: 6
RE: At The Mountains of Madness - 23/9/2010 12:31:06 PM   
pete_traynor

quote:

ORIGINAL: Macavity

I've only read the wikipedia plot summary of the book so probably not such a great judge but it sounds very different. I thought I knew where it was going but then there's the giant penguins. Judging how Warner Bros. passed on it I'm guessing Del Toro's been pretty faithful.
How the hell is this going to work? It sounds like The Thing crossed with The Ruins with additional creatures supplied by Miyazaki. Awesome title mind.

I’ve read it. It is structured almost like a scientific journal, reporting what happened on the expedition. It’s very good but given the way it’s written and the scientific terminologies used it can be somewhat daunting in places. I think it will be hard to make it appeal to modern audiences if you are remaining faithful to the original text. Plus, if memory serves we’re never given a proper glimpse of the things dwelling in the city. Only one of the expedition gets a look at them and is unable to describe it as he basically loses his mind through fear.

(in reply to Macavity)
Post #: 7
RE: At The Mountains of Madness - 23/9/2010 1:58:23 PM   
Macavity

quote:

ORIGINAL: pete_traynor

quote:

I've read it. It is structured almost like a scientific journal, reporting what happened on the expedition. It's very good but given the way it's written and the scientific terminologies used it can be somewhat daunting in places. I think it will be hard to make it appeal to modern audiences if you are remaining faithful to the original text. Plus, if memory serves we're never given a proper glimpse of the things dwelling in the city. Only one of the expedition gets a look at them and is unable to describe it as he basically loses his mind through fear.

He's in love with his creatures. I doubt he'd leave anything to suggestion. Plus with Cameron onboard I expect this to be another visual extravaganza.

Is the tone paranoia horror then? I'm curious as to how heavy handed it's going to be too - given from what you've said about the terminologies and such.

Post #: 8
RE: At The Mountains of Madness - 23/9/2010 2:07:08 PM   
pete_traynor

quote:

quote:

quote:

I've read it. It is structured almost like a scientific journal, reporting what happened on the expedition. It's very good but given the way it's written and the scientific terminologies used it can be somewhat daunting in places. I think it will be hard to make it appeal to modern audiences if you are remaining faithful to the original text. Plus, if memory serves we're never given a proper glimpse of the things dwelling in the city. Only one of the expedition gets a look at them and is unable to describe it as he basically loses his mind through fear.

He's in love with his creatures. I doubt he'd leave anything to suggestion. Plus with Cameron onboard I expect this to be another visual extravaganza.

Is the tone paranoia horror then? I'm curious as to how heavy handed it's going to be too - given from what you've said about the terminologies and such.

It’s been a while but that’s how I remember it coming across for me. It just builds up for most of it and near the end they are chased coming back from under the ancient city by... something. And that’s in the very last pages. Definitely worth a read! And it’s quite short too. But it is quite subtle and suggestive so they may feel the need to add elements to quicken the pace and the scares somewhat.  

(in reply to Macavity)
Post #: 9
"a violent, action-adventure monster fest" - 23/9/2010 3:13:37 PM   
Macavity

I'm like a dog that's been offered a bone. I've been doing a quick scout around the web for the book (and am considering the audiobook/radio play) the past hour and came across this: At The Mountains of Madness Script Leak (as reported here).
Not what I expected!

Post #: 10
RE: "a violent, action-adventure monster fest" - 23/9/2010 3:35:08 PM   
pete_traynor

quote:

I'm like a dog that's been offered a bone. I've been doing a quick scout around the web for the book (and am considering the audiobook/radio play) the past hour and came across this: At The Mountains of Madness Script Leak (as reported here).
Not what I expected!

SPOILERS FROM LINK ABOVE

Cthulhu! This all seems a little crowded to me in terms of creatures. And that is a BIG one to throw in there. That’s its own movie and shouldn’t be shoehorned into another story!

“There are fights, flights, chases, shoot-outs, cliffhangers, last second salvations, big explosions... The pace is quick.” I thought this would have to be the case to some extent for this to even begin working on screen for today’s audiences. I’m open to changes being made in order to make it work better in terms of dramatic interpretation but the macabre essence of the book does seem to have been lost somewhat. If this is indeed legitimate the removal of the entire subterranean segment is a perfect example of this. Reading that whole section was really spine tingling, as you were given snippets of descriptions in the dark and your mind went to some pretty twisted images. Essentially, this for me was one of the strongest parts of the story and I can’t imagine for the life of me why they would remove it?

All things considered I think they needed to go somewhere between this approach and the source material to make it work on film. But from this information it may be too far in the direction of comfort and commercial viability. But he does state that there have been subsequent rewrites. So if this is real I hope the rewrites have veered it back towards Lovecraft’s original intensions somewhat.

(in reply to Macavity)
Post #: 11
RE: "a violent, action-adventure monster fest" - 7/12/2010 4:37:58 PM   
pete_traynor

Long overdue update!!!

Not sure about notes from Cameron… unless he’s pointed out that if the ‘rumoured’ creature appears in the film, it’s a shit idea. That would be a good note!

Still, great to hear it’s all going ahead:

http://www.slashfilm.com/guillermo-del-toros-mountains-madness-shoot-summer/

Probably my most anticipated film at this point. God I hope he nails it….

Post #: 12
RE: At The Mountains of Madness - 7/12/2010 6:12:07 PM   
boove

ooooh! That is exciting news! I love the book and I love GDT and I love JC. I am so stoked for this and that is very interesting about the 'flaw' that was spotted in the script. I hope they pull this off. It could be astounding. I am assuming it is 3D? I think 3D would work really well when they get in the caves.

(in reply to DONOVAN KURTWOOD)
Post #: 13
RE: At The Mountains of Madness - 8/12/2010 1:01:42 PM   
pete_traynor

quote:

ORIGINAL: boove

ooooh! That is exciting news! I love the book and I love GDT and I love JC. I am so stoked for this and that is very interesting about the 'flaw' that was spotted in the script. I hope they pull this off. It could be astounding. I am assuming it is 3D? I think 3D would work really well when they get in the caves.

Hopefully the cave section will make it in and the info from the link a few posts up is bogus (probably is ). It was the most disturbing part of the book and must be in the film!

(in reply to boove)
Post #: 14
RE: At The Mountains of Madness - 9/3/2011 3:50:08 PM   
Judge

Rumor is that Universal have pulled the plug? No reliable confirmation yet, anyone know anything?

Post #: 15
RE: At The Mountains of Madness - 9/3/2011 4:10:31 PM   
Judge

Del Toro says so... http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2011/mar/09/guillermo-del-toro-mountains-madness

Gutted.

(in reply to Judge)
Post #: 16
RE: At The Mountains of Madness - 9/3/2011 6:19:57 PM   
Mr Terrific

Unbelievable! So close! Yet so far!
Read more about the demise of this epic project here!

..."lost like tears in the rain....."

"He claims he is a man. And one of the things about being a man is getting knocked on your ass and learning from it."

http://www.dccomics.com/heroes_and_villains/?hv=origin_stories/mr_terrific

(in reply to Judge)
Post #: 17
RE: At The Mountains of Madness - 9/3/2011 6:55:42 PM   
Darth Marenghi

It's a genuine shame but it does seem like Universal weren't in the right financial position to make it. 

Invisible Text for SPOILERS: "color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color" , then change the quotation marks to square brackets.

(in reply to Mr Terrific)
Post #: 18
RE: At The Mountains of Madness - 10/3/2011 1:34:42 PM   
pete_traynor

Worrying about recouping, with all those names involved? Jesus, what were they budgeting this at? It’s a shame though as he did seem right for this. I’m not the biggest fan of his English language work in general but this could have been really good. But perhaps a blessing in disguise, as he fluffed my favourite comics with the Hellboy films. So there was always the very real possibility that he could have done the same here, and with the Hobbit for that matter. His Spanish films are wonderful and he seems like a thoroughly nice guy but I do think he is somewhat overrated.

(in reply to Darth Marenghi)
Post #: 19
RE: At The Mountains of Madness - 10/3/2011 1:49:38 PM   
Macavity

quote:

Worrying about recouping, with all those names involved? Jesus, what were they budgeting this at? It's a shame though as he did seem right for this. I'm not the biggest fan of his English language work in general but this could have been really good. But perhaps a blessing in disguise, as he fluffed my favourite comics with the Hellboy films. So there was always the very real possibility that he could have done the same here, and with the Hobbit for that matter. His Spanish films are wonderful and he seems like a thoroughly nice guy but I do think he is somewhat overrated.

Overrated is definately the word. He seems impotent when it comes to getting a film actually going these days.

I've stated elsewhere:

As good as Pan was, I can't help but see Del Toro as the most overrated Director on the scene at the moment both artisticly and box office clout-wise. Both Hellboys were average and Blade 2 wasn't particularly spectacular itself.
He's all talk. I think Empire should boycott anymore news on (frankly, doubtful)Del Toro 'projects' until he actually steps up and starts shooting something.

Post #: 20
RE: At The Mountains of Madness - 10/3/2011 6:54:07 PM   
Darth Marenghi

quote:

He's all talk. I think Empire should boycott anymore news on (frankly, doubtful)Del Toro 'projects' until he actually steps up and starts shooting something.

I think these comments are off-base, Mac. It's Universal that's failed to step up if anything.

Invisible Text for SPOILERS: "color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color" , then change the quotation marks to square brackets.

(in reply to Macavity)
Post #: 21
RE: At The Mountains of Madness - 10/3/2011 6:58:06 PM   
Mr Terrific

quote:

This is all on Universal, who have had a string of movies that did'nt perform well...Scott Pilgrim etc!

..."lost like tears in the rain....."

"He claims he is a man. And one of the things about being a man is getting knocked on your ass and learning from it."

http://www.dccomics.com/heroes_and_villains/?hv=origin_stories/mr_terrific

Post #: 22
RE: At The Mountains of Madness - 11/3/2011 12:15:39 PM   
Macavity

quote:

ORIGINAL: Darth Marenghi

quote:

I think these comments are off-base, Mac. It's Universal that's failed to step up if anything.

Given the perfomance of Hellboy 2 despite their extensive marketing (heralding him a bloody 'visionary' too) I'm not suprised at all that Universal haven't complete confidence in him.
He's had multiple projects set up with at least three different studios over the past few years and none have come to anything as of yet. I'd bet money on Pacific Rim going down the same line.

And on a side note - Universal deserve credit for having the balls to back a film like Scott Pilgrim.

< Message edited by Macavity -- 11/3/2011 12:17:02 PM >

Post #: 23
RE: At The Mountains of Madness - 11/3/2011 12:56:18 PM   
pete_traynor

quote:

quote:

quote:

Given the perfomance of Hellboy 2 despite their extensive marketing (heralding him a bloody 'visionary' too) I'm not suprised at all that Universal haven't complete confidence in him.
He's had multiple projects set up with at least three different studios over the past few years and none have come to anything as of yet. I'd bet money on Pacific Rim going down the same line.

And on a side note - Universal deserve credit for having the balls to back a film like Scott Pilgrim.

With Mac. Visionary is a rather excessive word I feel! Especially when used in conjunction with the really rather poor Hellboy films!

Cronos is a nice take on vampire mythology and The Devils Backbone and Pans Labyrinth are just hands down great but since then his output has been poor/average at best for me. As his English language works have always been. Nothing all that visionary since 2006! He somehow (and rather miraculously!) managed to completely miss the macabre essence of the Hellboy comics and Blade 2 and Mimic were hardly worth writing home about. I honestly feel like his output can be grouped into almost polar opposite camps. Average, forgettable and in English. And Fantastic, memorable, emotionally engaging, frightening, thought provoking, magical and in Spanish.

Perhaps had we been getting En las Montañas de la Locura* we would have been in for a real treat!

*many thanks to www.freetranslation.com

< Message edited by pete_traynor -- 11/3/2011 12:57:36 PM >

(in reply to Macavity)
Post #: 24
RE: At The Mountains of Madness - 11/3/2011 1:31:08 PM   
Darth Marenghi

I like the Hellboy movies, but yeah, he's definitely better in his native language.

Post #: 25
RE: At The Mountains of Madness - 11/3/2011 1:37:47 PM   
pete_traynor

quote:

I like the Hellboy movies, but yeah, he's definitely better in his native language.

I feel I may be in the minority with the Hellboy thing! But I loved the books so much that the film was just too wide of the mark, for me personally. Did like Goss in the second one though! Far cry from When Will I be Famous!

Post #: 26
RE: At The Mountains of Madness - 11/3/2011 5:11:09 PM   
Macavity

quote:

quote:

With Mac. Visionary is a rather excessive word I feel! Especially when used in conjunction with the really rather poor Hellboy films!

Cronos is a nice take on vampire mythology and The Devils Backbone and Pans Labyrinth are just hands down great but since then his output has been poor/average at best for me. As his English language works have always been. Nothing all that visionary since 2006! He somehow (and rather miraculously!) managed to completely miss the macabre essence of the Hellboy comics and Blade 2 and Mimic were hardly worth writing home about. I honestly feel like his output can be grouped into almost polar opposite camps. Average, forgettable and in English. And Fantastic, memorable, emotionally engaging, frightening, thought provoking, magical and in Spanish.

Perhaps had we been getting En las Montañas de la Locura* we would have been in for a real treat!

*many thanks to www.freetranslation.com

You're dead-on about the language quality balance. I like him and his work is never less than watchable, but the press hyperbole that surrounds him is total bullshit.

< Message edited by Macavity -- 11/3/2011 5:12:58 PM >

Post #: 27
RE: At The Mountains of Madness - 11/3/2011 6:43:17 PM   
Darth Marenghi

Mac, you'll be delighted to hear that Empire is already connecting Del Toro to the Neil Gaiman adaptation of Monkey King that's just been announced.

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=30382

< Message edited by Darth Marenghi -- 11/3/2011 6:55:06 PM >

(in reply to Macavity)
Post #: 28
RE: At The Mountains of Madness - 14/3/2011 1:04:09 PM   
Macavity

I'll send him my script. Odds are he'll at least 'attach' himself to it.

Post #: 29
RE: At The Mountains of Madness - 1/6/2012 11:38:21 AM   
sharkboy

Well, it looks like concerns about Del Toro bringing Lovecraft to the big screen may have been well-founded after all.  Though to be fair on the hairy spaniard (and Universal), it's the plot similarities to Prometheus that has sounded the death-knell this time, not creative or budget delays:

http://www.movieswithbutter.com/blogs/prometheus-and-mountains-madness-are-pretty-much-same-movie-according-guillermo-del-toro-26416?_r=true

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to Macavity)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Future Films >> At The Mountains of Madness Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI