Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Nick Cave Re-Writing The Crow?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Nick Cave Re-Writing The Crow? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Nick Cave Re-Writing The Crow? - 27/7/2010 8:13:26 AM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
LEAVE THINGS ALONE - 27/7/2010 8:13:26 AM   
squawking44

Why why why why do they have to keep messing with great films, just leave things be, the orginal is a classic it does not need re-making, are time that bad that they cant come up woth any new films

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
calm down - 27/7/2010 9:56:03 AM   
7eke

they're not messing with the original.....it will always be there, intact.
doesn't matter if this is good or bad you'll still be able to watch "the classic"

Post #: 3
- 27/7/2010 10:51:51 AM   
dgribble

It's pointless bitching about how much of a bad idea this is, all hollywood gives a toss about is making money.
If you don't like where this is going, then do what I'm gonna do...pretend this movie doesn't exist and ignore it.

Post #: 4
Let It Be - 27/7/2010 12:18:38 PM   
BenTramer

Roger Ebert said that The Crow with Brandon Lee was: "The best version of a comic book universe I've seen." He was right, it was a complete one-off (Director Alex Proyas should have been given the chance to make "Batman Forever" the following year, can you imagine what he would have done with Gotham City?  Anything would have been better than the campy crap Joel Schumacher came up with). All the sequels failed to recapture the magic feel of The Crow (even Proyas never bettered it) and this remake will fail also. It was a once-in-a-lifetime deal. RIP Brandon Lee. We miss you still.

< Message edited by BenTramer -- 27/7/2010 12:27:28 PM >

Post #: 5
Do your research - 27/7/2010 1:25:33 PM   
Garth_Marenghi

"Norrington's The Crow, we're promised, will be very visually different to Alex Proyas' tragic original, and much closer to James O'Barr's original comics." I take it from that comment that you've never read the original comic, Owen? If you had, you'd know that Alex Proyas' version is a spot-on adaptation already. Any new remake that is completely different from the original film is also, therefore, going to be completely different from the comic... Having said that, this Cave announcement is the only good bit of news to emerge from this mess. But why not just do something new and original? Or failing that, why not adapt a comic that hasn't alreaady been filmed, and filmed pretty darn well at that?!

Post #: 6
cave crow - 27/7/2010 1:30:52 PM   
Battan9000

The film was pretty meh if you ask me. If it weren't for BL getting killed it would have been forgotten. Any thing Cave touches turns to gold. This will be the better film if history is any thing to go by.

Post #: 7
RE: cave crow - 27/7/2010 2:00:42 PM   
Tw?_Haze1810

"""Norrington's The Crow, we're promised, will be very visually different to Alex Proyas' tragic original, and much closer to James O'Barr's original comics." I take it from that comment that you've never read the original comic, Owen? If you had, you'd know that Alex Proyas' version is a spot-on adaptation already.""
Garth_Merenghi

Sorry "Garth" but I'm going to take a minute and say that YOU have obviously never read J. O'Barr's original comics. There's a multitude of discrepancies between the comic and the Proyas film; from the way Eric and Shelly are killed to the roles of Officer Albrecht, Sarah and the Crow itself! It's far from 'spot-on' as the film loses much of Eric's depression and melancholy... 

I think this film (remake/re-imagining or whatever it ends up being) deserves a chance to get made if revisiting the comic faithfully is the proposed plan. Sort out the War of The Worlds too... Although if they want to Reeeeeeeally want to remake some recent film, I propose another shot at Northern Lights/The Golden Compass... Anyone?!?!?

(in reply to Battan9000)
Post #: 8
RE: cave crow - 27/7/2010 2:14:45 PM   
Garth_Marenghi

I have the graphic novel sitting beside me here as I type, you sarky git.  I'm not talking about a literal-minded, direct adaptation of specific plot beats and panels, I'm referring to the early talk from Norrington and co about this being 'realistic and gritty and losing all the gothic stylised stuff.' The comic IS gothic and stylised! There's nothing realistic about it. To my mind, tonally and visually Proyas' original film is an accurate representation of O'Barr's work. How much more depressing and melancholy do you want it to be?!

< Message edited by Garth_Marenghi -- 27/7/2010 2:16:04 PM >

Mick Shrimpton: As long as there's, you know, sex and drugs, I can do without the rock and roll.

(in reply to Tw?_Haze1810)
Post #: 9
RE: cave crow - 27/7/2010 2:23:40 PM   
Tw?_Haze1810

LOL [image]http://www.empireonline.com/forum/micons/m11.gif[/image]  But still, those elements ejected from the original film were things I loved about the book and that could work in a new adaptation. As real world as a talking spectral crow can get, at least... I am a fan of the Brandon Lee movie but I have to agree that it wouldn't have been such a hit had not it's star been killed on set.

This time around the only way to make things right is to get a complete unknown, shoot him in the back of the head, so that the shot ruptures his left iris and creates a three inch scar across his nose, whack a comi-tragedy mask on him and set him out to kill those that did it!!! (I absolve myself of all responsibility... I'm strictly an ideas man!)  

(in reply to Garth_Marenghi)
Post #: 10
Actually........ - 27/7/2010 2:29:08 PM   
Sparkykelly69

James O'Barr has actually said himself that he wants nothing to do with the movies, even the excellent original, as they are no where near as close as to the subject matter as they should be. I dont think he would even except royalties he is that pissed off with what came out in the movies compared to what he done in the graphic novels. very similar to Alan Moore and the recent Watchment movie... he wants absolutely nothing got to with the movie adaption....not even the money............I have all the crow movies. I have a soft spot the sequels even though they are pretty weak compared to the original movie, but the story is still the same.......

Post #: 11
I dont care..... - 27/7/2010 2:43:19 PM   
janusjanus

Firstly, I dont care if this is like the comic or not. I loved the first film, enjoyed the second, and .....well, lets stop ther shall we.
I accept that the source material is excellent but I dont care, I want to see a good film and certainly expectations will be higher because of the source material and to some extent previous movies but lets not lose track of the fact that the media has its own advantages and diadvantages over the comic.
Why cant we all just get along (decends to knees, sobbing)

Post #: 12
The Original - 27/7/2010 3:09:59 PM   
Hamsterwalt

The original is one of if not the best comic book adaptions ever so why remake it.Its like trying to remake Casablanca or Citizen Kane there is no point The crow is as good as it will ever be cant Hollywood respect that.

Post #: 13
RE: The Original - 28/7/2010 1:34:03 AM   
JoeyPottr

No, don't the original one was great the late Brandon Lee was perfect for that part.

wandering through the tall grass of life

(in reply to Hamsterwalt)
Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Nick Cave Re-Writing The Crow? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI