Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: DOES EXACTLY WHAT IT SAYS ON THE TIN......

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: DOES EXACTLY WHAT IT SAYS ON THE TIN...... Page: <<   < prev  6 7 8 [9] 10   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: DOES EXACTLY WHAT IT SAYS ON THE TIN...... - 31/8/2010 12:51:14 AM   
musht

I knew The Expendables was going to be disappointing, but that was ridiculous . . . although the action was unreal, just not unreal enough to make up for the shit bits in between and they were really shit

"SAVE ME, BARRY!!"

"What the hell are Regionals!?"

"color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color"
Post #: 241
RE: DOES EXACTLY WHAT IT SAYS ON THE TIN...... - 3/9/2010 2:21:16 PM   
kargon

A load of old twat. Could have been better if you could see what was going on in the action scenes, cut too fast.

"I SAY WHAT I LIKE AND I LIKE WHAT I BLOODY WELL SAY".

"WHAT THE FUCK DOES ANYTHING HAVE TO DO WITH VIETNAM?"

"YOU BETTER BE PUTTING AWAY THAT BLADE, OR YOU WON'T BELIEVE WHAT HAPPENS NEXT, EVEN WHILE IT'S HAPPENING"

(in reply to musht)
Post #: 242
RE: DOES EXACTLY WHAT IT SAYS ON THE TIN...... - 7/9/2010 12:34:48 PM   
D-ToX

I finally saw the Expendables the other night and I have to say it was exactly as I expected, a good throwback to the action films of yesteryear.
One thing I didn't like was the constant close ups, I wasn't in the biggest screen at Cineworld and a lot of the time it became a bit of a blur but I know this will be fine when I watch it on BD.

I really enjoyed it but thought that the Expendables would have been a bit more, you know expendable and bite the dust?

< Message edited by D-ToX -- 7/9/2010 12:35:06 PM >

"I said do what I say not do what I do"

http://bluraydatabase.co.uk

(in reply to kargon)
Post #: 243
RE: DOES EXACTLY WHAT IT SAYS ON THE TIN...... - 8/9/2010 6:18:33 PM   
skeletonjack

The Expendables (AKA "Fuck it! Lets Blow Shit Up!") is loud, brainless, and like Piranha, massively entertaining.
It knows exactly what it is and makes no excuses for it, gleefully delivering on the action front.
I loved it!
4 stars.

(in reply to D-ToX)
Post #: 244
RE: the return on the 80s action movie - 14/9/2010 1:21:03 PM   
sroey

Watched this a second time and liked it a lot more after the initial hype had worn off and reality had set in.

Single best thing about this film?

Dolph Lundgren/Gunner (or is it Gunnar?)

He actually comes across as a credible flawed character. He has some awesome lines "Dont talk to me cockroach!" & "bring it Happy Feet!". He is superb in this. This film would have been better without Stallone in it if you ask me.

Post #: 245
RE: the return on the 80s action movie - 14/9/2010 1:51:29 PM   
Scott_

quote:

ORIGINAL: sroey

Watched this a second time and liked it a lot more after the initial hype had worn off and reality had set in.

He actually comes across as a credible flawed character. He has some awesome lines "Dont talk to me cockroach!" & "bring it Happy Feet!". He is superb in this. This film would have been better without Stallone in it if you ask me.

Roundhouse kick for you for that one! Not from me...from Snake-Eyes. Probably.

"You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig."

Check out my top 21 films - http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3188740

360 Gamertag - SmokinFuzz

(in reply to sroey)
Post #: 246
RE: the return on the 80s action movie - 14/9/2010 1:56:26 PM   
vad3r

Stallone is a bit boring though.

Single Virgin Mod Candidate 2013

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives
To paraphrase the great man himself:

Vad3r won't go anywhere near this.

(in reply to Scott_)
Post #: 247
RE: the return on the 80s action movie - 14/9/2010 2:01:12 PM   
Scott_

He's not really...

"You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig."

(in reply to vad3r)
Post #: 248
RE: the return on the 80s action movie - 14/9/2010 2:07:14 PM   
sroey

quote:

ORIGINAL: Scott_

quote:

Roundhouse kick for you for that one! Not from me...from Snake-Eyes. Probably.

LOL - yeah well the more I thought about it the more Stallone stood out as the odd one out of the group in there. He just didnt seem that comfortable or confident in his delivery to me. Still a bloody good tear up but summit was off with Stallone.

Oh and Terry Crews was criminally underused!

(in reply to Scott_)
Post #: 249
RE: the return on the 80s action movie - 14/9/2010 2:10:03 PM   
vad3r

quote:

ORIGINAL: Scott_

He's not really...

He doesn't have the awesome factor of Arnie or Dolph.

quote:

(in reply to Scott_)
Post #: 250
RE: the return on the 80s action movie - 14/9/2010 2:14:30 PM   
Scott_

He always has the awesome Rocky IV is proof of tha....I personally prefer Stallone to Arnie but then I prefer Dolph to either of them. Dolph rocks.

quote:

Oh and Terry Crews was criminally underused!

Yes he was! There wasn't enough Jet Li either.

(in reply to vad3r)
Post #: 251
RE: the return on the 80s action movie - 14/9/2010 2:17:42 PM   
vad3r

Dolph does rock it's just a shame his films are shite.

quote:

(in reply to Scott_)
Post #: 252
RE: the return on the 80s action movie - 14/9/2010 2:24:27 PM   
Scott_

Dolphs films are awesome especially compard to the turds Seagal and Van Damme keep getting paid for.

(in reply to vad3r)
Post #: 253
RE: the return on the 80s action movie - 14/9/2010 2:26:35 PM   
vad3r

Yeah but he has nothing on Arnie or Bruce's movies.
I like Van Damme's prison films though, like In Hell and Death Warrant.

quote:

(in reply to Scott_)
Post #: 254
- 26/12/2010 3:01:40 PM   
mollymoosh

I watched this film this morning. I'm not really into the whole action, guns, blowing peoples heads off thing but my Dad loves it so I bought it for him this Christmas. He thought it was great, all he could've hoped for from his hero Sylvester Stalone. I on the other hand didn't thinkit was that bad but wouldv'e hope from something better coming from such a cast.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 255
Crash Bang Stuff - 29/12/2010 2:22:54 PM   
joanna likes films

Okay don't think there will be a plot for The Expendables or any emotional moments. Just sit back, relax and let the crash bang stuff do it's part. The cast is simply one word: awesome. It's left with a sequel hoping to be made. Fight scenes are bloody, violent and at times OTT. Worth checking out.

Post #: 256
Dolph surprises everyone!!! - 11/1/2011 9:37:21 AM   
JoseJones

I've read only a few reviews for this film but what everyone forgets to mention is that this is a USA movie REALLY imitating HONG KONG action films!!!! And, on that level it is so cool that that Jackie Chan -- I mean Jet Li is on board for the ride. Also with all of the drug cartel violence in Juarez and Mexico... this movie was really timely as was Rambo in an accidental way about Myanmar (Burma)... What a fun movie and I really felt that this was a shining moment for Dolph Lundgren who really kept this film together -- and he had a pivotal role. Hey, if Sly Stallone at age 64 is writing and starring in this kind of movie then that is something remarkable. I felt that Schwartzenegger and also Mickey Rourke were added in and their roles were like slapped in during the editing process. That may or may not be true and also it was just my impression. I thought that the hair and teeth and appearance of Mickey Rourke were kind of special for The Wrestler and Iron Man 2 but apparantly .. all of that shit except his hair is permanent. I've heard that years ago he had a bad plastic surgeon... OK well whatever on that account... I'm sure there are plenty of girls who would still love to make out with him in front of an open refrigerator...He did have a nice scene talking about Bosnia and Stallone was trying to keep up with him with lines like "yeahhhhh...." and "I know." hehehe This movie was not for the Woody Allen fans... this was a fun action movie. Not for the critics. Just for entertainment.

Post #: 257
RE: Dolph surprises everyone!!! - 2/2/2011 7:40:22 PM   
sanchia

Finally saw this last night. Sadly it was rather disappointing with the promise of a return to 80's style action failing to be achieved. The plot was sufficiently shallow but the presentation was lacking with too many characters rather pointlessly scattered across the screen. Stallone was rather drab in the film giving a telegraphed performance and surprisingly came across as the person who really didn't want to be there. Someone really needs to tell him that a beret does not make him look tough, it didn't work in Demolition Man and it didn't work here. There was too much Statham whom also presented a telegraphed performance and offered nothing. Dolph Lungren was wasted and not used enough considering he seemed to stand out in the scenes he was in.

Overall, it had the action but for some reason it was just, for want of a better word, dull.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to JoseJones)
Post #: 258
RE: Dolph surprises everyone!!! - 2/2/2011 8:41:25 PM   
Deviation

quote:

ORIGINAL: sanchia

Overall, it had the action but for some reason it was just, for want of a better word, dull.

Aside from the greatness of the Eric Roberts, this is a perfect description of the final third of the film.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 259
RE: Dolph surprises everyone!!! - 3/2/2011 6:44:47 AM   
Qwerty Norris

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation

quote:

Aside from the greatness of the Eric Roberts, this is a perfect description of the final third of the film.

Agreed....

Qwerty's Top 10 of 2013 (so far)

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
9. The Place Beyond the Pines
10. Wreck-it Ralph

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 260
RE: Dolph surprises everyone!!! - 5/2/2011 4:30:56 AM   
Spaldron

quote:

ORIGINAL: Qwerty Norris

quote:

quote:

Agreed....

But guys, what about the Big Fuckin BOOM Stick?!! Best. Gun. Ever. (except Predator)

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to Qwerty Norris)
Post #: 261
RE: The Expendables - 5/2/2011 4:33:34 AM   
raymondtt

seems like a plain old drag to me

www.impacthgv.co.uk

Post #: 262
RE: Dolph surprises everyone!!! - 5/2/2011 10:49:29 AM   
sanchia

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spaldron

quote:

ORIGINAL: Qwerty Norris

quote:

quote:

Agreed....

But guys, what about the Big Fuckin BOOM Stick?!! Best. Gun. Ever. (except Predator)

That is the thing it had all the elements which should make a good action film but the presentation didn't work. If anything it came across as an action film by consensus in that it felt like it was a case of holding groups of the public and asking what they would want in an action film and that was what you got but the result was just too generic and drab in the end.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 263
Enjoyable - 12/2/2011 10:17:49 AM   
AntGC

Brilliant action sequences i must admit but the one thing that bugged me was that this film was made out to be full of action stars....Yes Willis, Rourke, and Swarzenegger are in it but for an overall screeing time of what.....10minutes?

Still...was amazing to see Stallone,Willis and Swarzenegger in the same room lol.

Post #: 264
Review Fail - 20/3/2011 3:09:50 PM   
silverscreenhero

How can Empire get it SO wrong! They write up a bad review then give it 3 stars! Which by their admission is a 'Good' film!?? Review fail!

Post #: 265
- 16/10/2011 11:27:46 AM   
Ciaran McDaid

Not too happy about this

Post #: 266
it is what it is - 19/4/2012 1:11:48 AM   
chrisharvey1551

big 80s stars doing an action film love it!! cant wait for the second one now more of the same please sly and im on board

Post #: 267
The Expendables - 8/7/2012 9:53:24 PM   
norgizfox

It's undoubtly guilty pleasure to the eighties action fans, but The Expendables falters too much on script writing and one-liner dialogues to make it rank as an action classic. Still, you won't be bored...

Post #: 268
- 9/10/2012 10:15:47 PM   
TheGodfather

The Expendables
In "preparation" to part 2 I watched this again: still very cool.
Obviously way over the top but that is what makes this so fun, with a show-stealing Stallone.
Looking forward to see part 2.

7,0/10

Post #: 269
Stars in wrong film - 1/11/2012 7:13:33 PM   
TheBohemianBean

The Expendables has an amazing cast of actors including Sylvester Stallone and Jason Statham. But, these action greats have been put in the wrong film. The movie is not original and contains "girly" fight scenes, espically for marcial artist, Jet Li. An Expendables 2 has been announced and I thought: "Why?!?!". If it is any better, I will watch Home Alone 4 again, believe me, that is a severe punishment!

Post #: 270
Page:   <<   < prev  6 7 8 [9] 10   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: DOES EXACTLY WHAT IT SAYS ON THE TIN...... Page: <<   < prev  6 7 8 [9] 10   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI