Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: RE :PILES

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: RE :PILES Page: <<   < prev  5 6 7 [8] 9   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: RE :PILES - 24/8/2010 5:25:04 PM   
Deviation

quote:

ORIGINAL: BOHEMIANBOB

Piles,if you don't like it,cool.To assert that people who do like it have no taste is unfair.My taste in film isn't polarised by just this film.
And i'm glad from your last line you seem to have convinced Dev to see this

It was a facetious comment. Similar to how I call Piles a hater of fun and joy when it comes to some films. It is all lighthearted banter.

Also, watching a Stallone film over Chomet? Nothing in heaven, Earth or Hell would make me do such a thing.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to BOHEMIANBOB)
Post #: 211
RE: RE :PILES - 24/8/2010 5:29:25 PM   
DaveTheStampede

Damn, that was a fun movie

Started off a little slow, Stallone was occasionally hard to understand, and a few things seemed a trifle pointless, but when it kicked off, I didn't stop grinning.

It also has the first action sequence for quite a while that has made my physically wince.

Woohoo!

Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two make four.
If that is granted, all else follows

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 212
RE: The Expendables - 24/8/2010 5:58:31 PM   
Guinevere

woah, woah, woah, FYI my name is Genevieve! And I love ridiculous explosions, violence and definitely the Stath! And personally I think Genevieve is a pretty much a kick-ass espionage-chic name

< Message edited by Guinevere -- 24/8/2010 5:59:06 PM >

Sam: You don't like raisins?
Joon: Not really.
Sam: Why?
Joon: They used to be fat and juicy and now they're twisted. They had their lives stolen. Well, they taste sweet, but really they're just humiliated grapes. I can't say I am a big supporter of the raisin council.
Sam: Did you see those, those raisins on TV? The ones that sing and dance and stuff?
Joon: They scare me.
Post #: 213
RE: RE :PILES - 24/8/2010 5:59:47 PM   
BOHEMIANBOB

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation

quote:

ORIGINAL: BOHEMIANBOB

Piles,if you don't like it,cool.To assert that people who do like it have no taste is unfair.My taste in film isn't polarised by just this film.
And i'm glad from your last line you seem to have convinced Dev to see this

It was a facetious comment. Similar to how I call Piles a hater of fun and joy when it comes to some films. It is all lighthearted banter.

Also, watching a Stallone film over Chomet? Nothing in heaven, Earth or Hell would make me do such a thing.

I guess i'm so un-facetious it went over my head
Seriously Dev,see them both.
Do Chomet,mid-afternoon with after a nice brunch,then have a dozen beers and go to the Expendables!What a day out that would be!
Tempted myself

Misunderstood.
Don't care.
Have you seen my stolen signature?!

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 214
RE: Best of the Best - 24/8/2010 10:40:04 PM   
Guinevere

And if you're interested in the opinion of another Genevieve, I loved it! A little dull in parts: particularly when Sly attempted to give the film more emotional depth. It definitely didn't need that as an enjoyable action romp and the lighting was at times pretty cheesy i.e. when Mickey Rourke was regaling us with the suicide girl story, the blue mood lighting was kinda Cinematography 101. Overall though it was really fun! Action was great, Stath was awesome, loved seeing more of Charisma Carpenter and definitely liked the general camaraderie between the guys. A total 'who would win in a fight' fantasy.

Joon: They used to be fat and juicy and now they're twisted. They had their lives stolen. Well, they taste sweet, but really they're just humiliated grapes. I can't say I am a big supporter of the raisin council.
Sam: Did you see those, those raisins on TV? The ones that sing and dance and stuff?
Post #: 215
RE: Great Idea; wrong director: Here's Why - 25/8/2010 1:07:27 AM   
BOHEMIANBOB

I was fairly in agreement until you said Diehard 4

Misunderstood.
Don't care.
Post #: 216
RE: Great Idea; wrong director: Here's Why - 25/8/2010 1:18:14 AM   
Guinevere

Come on! The action in DH4 is epic! car vs. 'copter = awesomeness

(in reply to BOHEMIANBOB)
Post #: 217
RE: Great Idea; wrong director: Here's Why - 25/8/2010 1:21:16 AM   
BOHEMIANBOB

The cgi at the end of the film is some of the worst ever

Misunderstood.
Don't care.

(in reply to Guinevere)
Post #: 218
RE: Great Idea; wrong director: Here's Why - 25/8/2010 7:18:17 AM   
jace007

Lol, Mickey R re-enacting "emotional depth" from The Wrestler was a tad embarrassing! I mean, would you have seen The Dirty Dozen's Lee Marvin do that shit? (RIP Lee)
Post #: 219
RE: Great Idea; wrong director: Here's Why - 25/8/2010 7:21:55 AM   
jace007

DH4 was a way better movie than Expendables, by a very long shot! 10 years ago, John Woo might've done this, but guess he's lost his mojo too.

< Message edited by jace007 -- 25/8/2010 7:22:11 AM >

(in reply to Guinevere)
Post #: 220
RE: It is what it is....nothing more...nothing less - 25/8/2010 9:26:08 AM   
BOHEMIANBOB

Mmmm,a few points...
Rourke was a bit embarassing-think he thought he was in a serious movie-from the guy who did Iron Man 2.
DH4 better than this-maybe,they're a bit different to be fair,and the action here is far more realistic.A bit more of Bruce Willis would have swung it maybe.
You did it again Barney

Misunderstood.
Don't care.
Post #: 221
RE: It is what it is....nothing more...nothing less - 25/8/2010 9:35:42 AM   
Marwood

Rubbish.

I was up for an 80s homage but either Sly didn't quite know how to handle it in the end or his original vision just degenerated into a DTV style action fest.

The action was mostly great although I'm now officially fed up with shaky cam action scenes and spastic editing, too often it makes the scenes bloody difficult to follow and imo so far only Paul Greengrass and his DP on the Bourne films have been able to make it work on extended action scenes. However in this the third act showdowns and explosive fun was a greta throwback to Commando and I lost myself in the orange glow coming from the screen.

The Expendables themselves were all massive letdowns; I wouldn't even call this an ensemble - it was the Sly and Stath show and even then neither of them really made an impact. Jet Li was wasted, Dolph Lundgren barely registered and Terry Crews/Randy Coutre were literally just hired muscle to bolster the team numbers. The rest of the supporting characters were cardboard cutouts.

I know this is supposed to be an homage but playing it straight didn't really work; it would have been better if it had a layer of irony to it rather than sticking to the genre conventions. Overall a massive missed opportunity that could have done with a different writer/director - Sly should have just produced and overseen rather than ran the whole show.

Bilbo: What about the Ewoks? They were rubbish.

Tim: Yeah but Jar Jar Binks makes the Ewoks look like f***ing Shaft!
Post #: 222
RE: It is what it is....nothing more...nothing less - 25/8/2010 11:26:31 AM   
Qwerty Norris

quote:

ORIGINAL: Marwood

Rubbish.

I was up for an 80s homage but either Sly didn't quite know how to handle it in the end or his original vision just degenerated into a DTV style action fest.

The action was mostly great although I'm now officially fed up with shaky cam action scenes and spastic editing, too often it makes the scenes bloody difficult to follow and imo so far only Paul Greengrass and his DP on the Bourne films have been able to make it work on extended action scenes. However in this the third act showdowns and explosive fun was a greta throwback to Commando and I lost myself in the orange glow coming from the screen.

The Expendables themselves were all massive letdowns; I wouldn't even call this an ensemble - it was the Sly and Stath show and even then neither of them really made an impact. Jet Li was wasted, Dolph Lundgren barely registered and Terry Crews/Randy Coutre were literally just hired muscle to bolster the team numbers. The rest of the supporting characters were cardboard cutouts.

I know this is supposed to be an homage but playing it straight didn't really work; it would have been better if it had a layer of irony to it rather than sticking to the genre conventions. Overall a massive missed opportunity that could have done with a different writer/director - Sly should have just produced and overseen rather than ran the whole show.

Thank you......

Qwerty's Top 10 of 2013 (so far)

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
9. The Place Beyond the Pines
10. Wreck-it Ralph

(in reply to Marwood)
Post #: 223
RE: This isn't Shakesspeare ladz.... - 25/8/2010 12:01:36 PM   
Pigeon Army

quote:

ORIGINAL: Barneyross1

It's a few meatheads running about looking tough, jumping, exploding and shooting the bad guys...that's why people are watching it....just dumb-ass acting fun...Stallone didn't make this under any illusions ...it's just action hokum..it's no Die Hard, Rambo II, or Predator...it's just Expendables?

Why do you keep double posting? It's unnecessary.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rinc
She's supposed to be 13! I'd want her to be very attractive though

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat
quote:

ORIGINAL: Pigeon Army
Stop being mean to Deviation

No.
Post #: 224
RE: This isn't Shakesspeare ladz.... - 25/8/2010 12:35:25 PM   
Piles

quote:

ORIGINAL: Barneyross1

It's a few meatheads running about looking tough, jumping, exploding and shooting the bad guys...that's why people are watching it....just dumb-ass acting fun...Stallone didn't make this under any illusions ...it's just action hokum..it's no Die Hard, Rambo II, or Predator...it's just Expendables?

Why on earth are you posting your review in single sentences over about fifty posts?

Listen, I know it's not meant to be Shakespeare, and that's fair enough. I like a bunch of films that were made over the past ten years that aren't meant to be Shakespeare; The Warrior King, Face/Off, Ong Bak, Hot Rod, Dodgeball, pretty much all of Pixar, Robin Hood, Iron Man, both of the new Batman films, to name but a few. You seem to think that I have gone into this film expecting it to be the new height of modern film art, reminiscent of Antonioni or whatever. OF COURSE I DIDN'T. My point is that it took itself FAR too seriously. My question is, if this didn't have a 'kick-ass cast' and all of the actors were replaced for better ones with lesser star value, you'd surely share my opinion that it was a po-faced over serious mess.

Top 100 Moz Songs / Top 100 Films
Post #: 225
RE: The Expendables - 25/8/2010 12:45:51 PM   
fletch666

A fun film with some cracking moments, Terry Crews shotgun/basketball court brawl. But from what it was hyped and touted as being, it's a massive disappointment. They could have done so much more with the cast. For a film that professes to be a 'men on a mission' film we barely get to see any of the team until the end. The much vaunted scene in the church was painful with some horrible wooden dialogue. Plus for a supposed 80's action movie homage, where are they quotable one-liners in the vein of 'Stick around bennett' 'Game over man, game over' etc, 'he wants to be president' just isn't in the same league.

To be honest, and I may well get crucified for this. Of the 3 'men on a mission' films released this year; Expendables, The Losers and The A Team. I preffered the Losers by a long shot.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 226
RE: This isn't Shakesspeare ladz.... - 25/8/2010 1:38:55 PM   
Pigeon Army

quote:

ORIGINAL: Piles

I like a bunch of films that were made over the past ten years that aren't meant to be Shakespeare; Robin Hood

Just want to take a break from saying 'you're right, Piles', to say - you're an idiot, and I hope you burn in fiscal conservative hell for liking Robin Hood.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rinc
She's supposed to be 13! I'd want her to be very attractive though

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat
quote:

Stop being mean to Deviation

No.

(in reply to Piles)
Post #: 227
RE: This isn't Shakesspeare ladz.... - 25/8/2010 1:44:09 PM   
clownfoot

quote:

quote:

I like a bunch of films that were made over the past ten years that aren't meant to be Shakespeare; Robin Hood

Just want to take a break from saying 'you're right, Piles', to say - you're an idiot, and I hope you burn in fiscal conservative hell for liking Robin Hood.

I second this for the inclusion of Dodgeball. A poor man's version of BASEketball does not a funny film make...

Evil Mod 2 - Hail he who has fallen from the sky to deliver us from the terror of the Deadites!

http://www.thepixelempire.net/index.html
http://clownfootsinversemidas.blogspot.com/

(in reply to Pigeon Army)
Post #: 228
RE: This isn't Shakesspeare ladz.... - 25/8/2010 2:17:52 PM   
Piles

quote:

ORIGINAL: clownfoot

quote:

quote:

I second this for the inclusion of Dodgeball. A poor man's version of BASEketball does not a funny film make...

WHAT WERE YOU GUYS EXPECTING WITH ROBIN HOOD AND DODGEBALL... SHAKESPEARE?

(in reply to clownfoot)
Post #: 229
RE: The Expendables - 25/8/2010 2:36:30 PM   
Guinevere

ditto, The Losers definitely wins it for me too! Especially for the during-credits 'Petunias' scene :D

(in reply to fletch666)
Post #: 230
RE: This isn't Shakesspeare ladz.... - 25/8/2010 2:53:36 PM   
clownfoot

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: clownfoot

quote:

quote:

WHAT WERE YOU GUYS EXPECTING WITH ROBIN HOOD AND DODGEBALL... SHAKESPEARE?

I was expecting Oedipus the King to be perfectly honest...

Evil Mod 2 - Hail he who has fallen from the sky to deliver us from the terror of the Deadites!

http://www.thepixelempire.net/index.html
http://clownfootsinversemidas.blogspot.com/

(in reply to Piles)
Post #: 231
RE: This isn't Shakesspeare ladz.... - 25/8/2010 3:13:34 PM   
Deviation

PA was clearly expecting Dostoevsky out of Robin Hood.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to clownfoot)
Post #: 232
RE: It's no Picasso? - 25/8/2010 3:27:56 PM   
Piles

No images allowed in these threads? Damn!

http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/Weertangel/double-facepalm.jpg

< Message edited by Piles -- 25/8/2010 3:28:17 PM >

Post #: 233
RE: It's no Picasso? - 25/8/2010 3:47:46 PM   
pete_traynor

quote:

Just try [img] and [/img] bookending the link. That usually works for me

< Message edited by pete_traynor -- 25/8/2010 3:51:08 PM >

EXTREMELY LIMITED 1/1 FILM DIRECTOR HAND DRAWN ORIGINALS COMING SOON - http://lomierart.blogspot.co.uk/

(in reply to Piles)
Post #: 234
RE: It's no Picasso? - 25/8/2010 9:03:25 PM   
Dr Lenera

The Expendables does pretty much what it says on the tin. You know itís going to be a throwback to the 80s action movie and for the most part it doesnít disappoint. Testosterone to the max as tough guys slaughter tons of extras and blow lots of shit up while throwing amusing banter around as they do it. When I say tough guys, I mean probably the greatest cast in action movie history, and Sylvestre Stallone deserves great credit for getting so many action stars together and pulling off what probably just seemed like a fanís wet dream. Perhaps surprisingly, they all work well together, with no visable clash of egoes. Despite being a tough shoot everyone seems like they had fun, and it really shows in the finished product.

The plot......well, itís like a catalogue of old action cliches. Mercenaries recruited for an especially dangerous job, former buddies now on opposite sides, a man having a guilty consience and going back into danger, a climactic assault on an island fortress etc, itís all there, but the script does just about give you enough background about most of the characters so that you do care about them. Some will want a lot more, but this isnít that kind of movie. After a leisurely opening 20 or so minutes, it becomes an almost non-stop progression of fights, car chases and gunfire. Itís all back to basics stuff-you wonít see a tank falling out of a plane here, but it is mostly very convincing, with little [visable] use of CG. Highlights are Jet Liís violent but deliberately amusing brawl with Dolph Lundgren, Stalloneís incredibly brutal fight with Steve Austin and Jason Stathamís expert knife slashing. I could have done with more of Liís martial arts skills, but that was only a small flaw compared to....

The editing! Sad to say even Stallone now has seen fit to join the ranks of action directors who think that shooting a scene with very fast cutting and lots of closeups while shaking the camera about is where itís at. I do think this style worked for the Bourne movies, but itís just so tiresomely overused now. When I see an action sequence I want to see it, not be part of it ,and it seems a very lazy way of doing things because filmmakers donít really need to choreograph things properly. It was obvious that some of the fighting in The Expendables [as with Ninja Assassin] was actually very impressive, but I just couldnít really see much of it. More to the point, no 80s action film was shot like this [God I remember the days when Cobra was considered to be edited too fast!] so, unless it was to cover up the slowness of the older cast members, I donít see why Stallone decided to do it like this. I was also disappointed with the gore. Certainly not in quantity of course, with people being slashed, blown apart, you name it, itís all present and correct. No, I mean in quality. I kind of hoped they might have done this stuff the old way, with blood squibs and dummies, but no, it seems to be mostly CG gore, and as usual it doesnít look especially good.

The dialogue is either absolutely dreadful or total genius, I havenít quite decided yet, but it works for the film. The much commented-on scene with Stallone, Bruce Willis and Arnold Schwarzenegger is wonderful and surprisingly subtle, considering they could have just made it a series of jokes-I just wish it had been longer. All the cast members give appropriate performances, in a way many of them are plaving some half-remembered version of themselves in the 80s, rather then particular roles, and thatís just fine. Stallone graciously remains low key throughout and lets others like Dolph Lundgren [though heís not in it enough] dominate the scenes they are in. Of course the two women in the film simply exist to be beaten up and rescued! Brian Tylerís score just about backs up the onscreen carnage but is very run-of-the-mill. All in all this is certainly a good time at the pictures and will make any action film fan smile throughout. It does have itís problems though, and I donít think itís ever quite as good as it wants to me. Maybe the sequel will be though......
7/10

check out more of my reviews on http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/

(in reply to pete_traynor)
Post #: 235
RE: It's no Picasso? - 25/8/2010 9:27:31 PM   
evil bill

The Expendables,well the plot is not that original, but who care's,as the cast was fantastic,so Stallone can give himself a big pat on the back for getting so many iconic action heroes/actors onto the screen together and actually making it work. Though the much hyped cameo of two particular people was short lived,IE two minutes it was hilarious,great fun and well scripted.This is a high octane, unbelievably explosive, funny, blood thirsty, proper balls out action movie,that would not have been out of place in the 80s,yet manages to fit into the market of today's cinematic action film experience. It is easily much more graphic and gory than most modern day action films,just surprising it got a 15 cert,as it wasn't afraid to contain blood, guts and violence for the sake of it.Has some fresh ideas about action scenes and really good martial arts scenes,that keep you glued to the seat,and don't worry it's not another Rambo,as in one scene we see Stallone get his ass kicked.A no Brainier maybe,but one of the best Action movies in years YES!!,and a big wow factor too,it just shows Stallone knows how to kick ass in Action movies,and please the fans.Do you hear me Micheal Bay,look and learn.8/10

"You listen to me now,i will find you and i will kill you!"

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 236
RE: It's no Picasso? - 26/8/2010 9:33:19 AM   
grucl

quote:

ORIGINAL: pete_traynor

quote:

Just try [img] and [/img] bookending the link. That usually works for me

Reviews, Movie News and Future Films don't allow pictures.
Has something to do with the fact that the content of the threads shows up on the main page...

(in reply to pete_traynor)
Post #: 237
RE: It's no Picasso? - 26/8/2010 7:20:36 PM   
BOHEMIANBOB

Good review,i'd agree with the most of it.
Only criticism:using the term "what it says on the tin"

Misunderstood.
Don't care.

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 238
RE: It's no Picasso? - 29/8/2010 10:24:56 AM   
the anomaly

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dr Lenera

The Expendables does pretty much what it says on the tin. You know it's going to be a throwback to the 80s action movie and for the most part it doesn't disappoint. Testosterone to the max as tough guys slaughter tons of extras and blow lots of shit up while throwing amusing banter around as they do it. When I say tough guys, I mean probably the greatest cast in action movie history, and Sylvestre Stallone deserves great credit for getting so many action stars together and pulling off what probably just seemed like a fan's wet dream. Perhaps surprisingly, they all work well together, with no visable clash of egoes. Despite being a tough shoot everyone seems like they had fun, and it really shows in the finished product.

The plot......well, it's like a catalogue of old action cliches. Mercenaries recruited for an especially dangerous job, former buddies now on opposite sides, a man having a guilty consience and going back into danger, a climactic assault on an island fortress etc, it's all there, but the script does just about give you enough background about most of the characters so that you do care about them. Some will want a lot more, but this isn't that kind of movie. After a leisurely opening 20 or so minutes, it becomes an almost non-stop progression of fights, car chases and gunfire. It's all back to basics stuff-you won't see a tank falling out of a plane here, but it is mostly very convincing, with little [visable] use of CG. Highlights are Jet Li's violent but deliberately amusing brawl with Dolph Lundgren, Stallone's incredibly brutal fight with Steve Austin and Jason Statham's expert knife slashing. I could have done with more of Li's martial arts skills, but that was only a small flaw compared to....

The editing! Sad to say even Stallone now has seen fit to join the ranks of action directors who think that shooting a scene with very fast cutting and lots of closeups while shaking the camera about is where it's at. I do think this style worked for the Bourne movies, but it's just so tiresomely overused now. When I see an action sequence I want to see it, not be part of it ,and it seems a very lazy way of doing things because filmmakers don't really need to choreograph things properly. It was obvious that some of the fighting in The Expendables [as with Ninja Assassin] was actually very impressive, but I just couldn't really see much of it. More to the point, no 80s action film was shot like this [God I remember the days when Cobra was considered to be edited too fast!] so, unless it was to cover up the slowness of the older cast members, I don't see why Stallone decided to do it like this. I was also disappointed with the gore. Certainly not in quantity of course, with people being slashed, blown apart, you name it, it's all present and correct. No, I mean in quality. I kind of hoped they might have done this stuff the old way, with blood squibs and dummies, but no, it seems to be mostly CG gore, and as usual it doesn't look especially good.

The dialogue is either absolutely dreadful or total genius, I haven't quite decided yet, but it works for the film. The much commented-on scene with Stallone, Bruce Willis and Arnold Schwarzenegger is wonderful and surprisingly subtle, considering they could have just made it a series of jokes-I just wish it had been longer. All the cast members give appropriate performances, in a way many of them are plaving some half-remembered version of themselves in the 80s, rather then particular roles, and that's just fine. Stallone graciously remains low key throughout and lets others like Dolph Lundgren [though he's not in it enough] dominate the scenes they are in. Of course the two women in the film simply exist to be beaten up and rescued! Brian Tyler's score just about backs up the onscreen carnage but is very run-of-the-mill. All in all this is certainly a good time at the pictures and will make any action film fan smile throughout. It does have it's problems though, and I don't think it's ever quite as good as it wants to me. Maybe the sequel will be though......
7/10

I'm feeling lazy ... so I'll just say I agreed with pretty much all of this! Thanks Dr Lenera for the review. It was a good watch and for me the novelty didn't wear off. It was just awesome seeing so many huge action stars in one movie.

I agree with the issues you've raised though. I thought the fight scenes could have been shot better. Especially for Jet Li and Stath to show their skills off ... though to be honest Stath still got some great shot's and a lot of cool moments in the film. It's a shame Jet Li's character didn't get much of a story either. Though looking back he get's enoughs screen time to be in the top billing along wtih Sly and Stath.

I hope they can pull off one more ...

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 239
RE: It's no Picasso? - 29/8/2010 11:24:58 AM   
Dr Lenera

quote:

ORIGINAL: the anomaly

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dr Lenera

The Expendables does pretty much what it says on the tin. You know it's going to be a throwback to the 80s action movie and for the most part it doesn't disappoint. Testosterone to the max as tough guys slaughter tons of extras and blow lots of shit up while throwing amusing banter around as they do it. When I say tough guys, I mean probably the greatest cast in action movie history, and Sylvestre Stallone deserves great credit for getting so many action stars together and pulling off what probably just seemed like a fan's wet dream. Perhaps surprisingly, they all work well together, with no visable clash of egoes. Despite being a tough shoot everyone seems like they had fun, and it really shows in the finished product.

The plot......well, it's like a catalogue of old action cliches. Mercenaries recruited for an especially dangerous job, former buddies now on opposite sides, a man having a guilty consience and going back into danger, a climactic assault on an island fortress etc, it's all there, but the script does just about give you enough background about most of the characters so that you do care about them. Some will want a lot more, but this isn't that kind of movie. After a leisurely opening 20 or so minutes, it becomes an almost non-stop progression of fights, car chases and gunfire. It's all back to basics stuff-you won't see a tank falling out of a plane here, but it is mostly very convincing, with little [visable] use of CG. Highlights are Jet Li's violent but deliberately amusing brawl with Dolph Lundgren, Stallone's incredibly brutal fight with Steve Austin and Jason Statham's expert knife slashing. I could have done with more of Li's martial arts skills, but that was only a small flaw compared to....

The editing! Sad to say even Stallone now has seen fit to join the ranks of action directors who think that shooting a scene with very fast cutting and lots of closeups while shaking the camera about is where it's at. I do think this style worked for the Bourne movies, but it's just so tiresomely overused now. When I see an action sequence I want to see it, not be part of it ,and it seems a very lazy way of doing things because filmmakers don't really need to choreograph things properly. It was obvious that some of the fighting in The Expendables [as with Ninja Assassin] was actually very impressive, but I just couldn't really see much of it. More to the point, no 80s action film was shot like this [God I remember the days when Cobra was considered to be edited too fast!] so, unless it was to cover up the slowness of the older cast members, I don't see why Stallone decided to do it like this. I was also disappointed with the gore. Certainly not in quantity of course, with people being slashed, blown apart, you name it, it's all present and correct. No, I mean in quality. I kind of hoped they might have done this stuff the old way, with blood squibs and dummies, but no, it seems to be mostly CG gore, and as usual it doesn't look especially good.

The dialogue is either absolutely dreadful or total genius, I haven't quite decided yet, but it works for the film. The much commented-on scene with Stallone, Bruce Willis and Arnold Schwarzenegger is wonderful and surprisingly subtle, considering they could have just made it a series of jokes-I just wish it had been longer. All the cast members give appropriate performances, in a way many of them are plaving some half-remembered version of themselves in the 80s, rather then particular roles, and that's just fine. Stallone graciously remains low key throughout and lets others like Dolph Lundgren [though he's not in it enough] dominate the scenes they are in. Of course the two women in the film simply exist to be beaten up and rescued! Brian Tyler's score just about backs up the onscreen carnage but is very run-of-the-mill. All in all this is certainly a good time at the pictures and will make any action film fan smile throughout. It does have it's problems though, and I don't think it's ever quite as good as it wants to me. Maybe the sequel will be though......
7/10

I'm feeling lazy ... so I'll just say I agreed with pretty much all of this! Thanks Dr Lenera for the review. It was a good watch and for me the novelty didn't wear off. It was just awesome seeing so many huge action stars in one movie.

I agree with the issues you've raised though. I thought the fight scenes could have been shot better. Especially for Jet Li and Stath to show their skills off ... though to be honest Stath still got some great shot's and a lot of cool moments in the film. It's a shame Jet Li's character didn't get much of a story either. Though looking back he get's enoughs screen time to be in the top billing along wtih Sly and Stath.

I hope they can pull off one more ...

Thankyou, and yes, I'd love to see another one. It has been a commercial hit and there are rumours going around already.....

check out more of my reviews on http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/

(in reply to the anomaly)
Post #: 240
Page:   <<   < prev  5 6 7 [8] 9   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: RE :PILES Page: <<   < prev  5 6 7 [8] 9   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News††|††Empire Blog††|††Movie Reviews††|††Future Films††|††Features††|††Video Interviews††|††Image Gallery††|††Competitions††|††Forum††|††Magazine††|††Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI