Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Well done Sly

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Well done Sly Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Well done Sly - 19/8/2010 2:40:33 PM   
Deviation

Thank you.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to My name is Legion)
Post #: 151
RE: Well done Sly - 19/8/2010 2:41:29 PM   
The Hooded Man

Does Sly like the TV series Angel? With Charisma Carpenter that's the second actress from the show he's cast in consecutive movies.

Counting the minutes until the over zealous mods lock this thread too.

(in reply to My name is Legion)
Post #: 152
RE: Well done Sly - 19/8/2010 2:49:51 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: The Hooded Man

Does Sly like the TV series Angel? With Charisma Carpenter that's the second actress from the show he's cast in consecutive movies.

I'm pretty sure he wanted Julie Benz, she was busy, and recommended Carpenter.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to The Hooded Man)
Post #: 153
RE: You're a film critic - please start acting like one. - 19/8/2010 3:42:28 PM   
CrackDown

quote:

ORIGINAL: redpaw

Thouroughly disappointed with this. I really don't understand the championning of this film at all - an 80's action flick this most certainly was not. If that were the case then why does Sly insist on directing the action like the messy, incoherent rubbish that is the Bourne films and other some such? I don't know about the rest of you but fast edits and shaky cameras don't equal action. Don't get me wrong, I'm a genuine fan of 80's action movies myself but this just didn't work at all. Sorry.

This ^

I thought Expendables was one of the worst films I'd seen in a long time, and this is coming from an 80s/90s action fan.

< Message edited by CrackDown -- 19/8/2010 3:43:01 PM >

(in reply to redpaw)
Post #: 154
RE: Well done Sly - 19/8/2010 4:30:36 PM   
BOHEMIANBOB

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pigeon Army

quote:

ORIGINAL: BOHEMIANBOB

Sorry PA,you started the "it was him first" remarks.It's a third-party weigh in that wasn't needed.Nothing untoward was said by anybody.

I'm a mod. It's my job to weigh in when you're going off-topic and then lying about doing it.

I'll ask you to retract calling me a liar.
The "victim" jibe was silly,but that's too far.

Misunderstood.
Don't care.
Have you seen my stolen signature?!

(in reply to Pigeon Army)
Post #: 155
RE: You're a film critic - please start acting like one. - 19/8/2010 4:34:49 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: CrackDown

quote:

ORIGINAL: redpaw

Thouroughly disappointed with this. I really don't understand the championning of this film at all - an 80's action flick this most certainly was not. If that were the case then why does Sly insist on directing the action like the messy, incoherent rubbish that is the Bourne films and other some such? I don't know about the rest of you but fast edits and shaky cameras don't equal action. Don't get me wrong, I'm a genuine fan of 80's action movies myself but this just didn't work at all. Sorry.

This ^

I thought Expendables was one of the worst films I'd seen in a long time, and this is coming from an 80s/90s action fan.

Here is the problem - The Expenables is being hyped as being of comparible quailty to Die Hard, Commando, Rambo and so on. And it simply isn't near some of these films in terms of quailty.

However if you enjoy Delta Force, Death Wish 3 or the films of Chuck Norris, there is much to like in here. It isn't a top tier action movie, and this year I still prefered Univerisal Solider 3 for my 80s action kick, but it is an excellent example of those 80s action movies which didn't become super famous, but at the same time tend to be the ones people remember.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to CrackDown)
Post #: 156
RE: Expendables - 20/8/2010 12:40:39 AM   
LastSamurai

Well i thoroughly enjoyed it. Had some minor issues though:
Definite lack of quality one liners.
The script wasn't great (yeah i know when were these types of films ever well scripted, but i thought we had moved on a little since then)
No JCVD

Other than those its top quality action in a can. On a side note has anyone noticed since playing "call of duty" and the like you can now recognise guns that they use within films?

"Its easier for a man to defeat the light within himself than defeat the darkness all around him"

(in reply to Keyser Sozzled)
Post #: 157
RE: Wtf - 20/8/2010 10:33:51 AM   
elab49

And don't use one of your first posts to demonstrate textbook mysogyny

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome
Post #: 158
RE: Wtf - 20/8/2010 1:20:16 PM   
grucl

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sanya

Don't give a woman to review manliest movie ever

Yeah, stay in the kitchen and make me a sandwich, bitch! WTF?

Seriously, shut up!
Post #: 159
RE: Wtf - 20/8/2010 1:50:34 PM   
Tyler_D

I havent seen the film but plan on doing so this weekend, so this has nothing to do with the quality of the The Expendables and maybe what I have noticed is wide of the mark.

I have been a long-time lurker of these forums, posting occasionally and always pop in here before viewing a film to get Empires opinion and then the people of the forum. Is it just me or are there a lot of new/low post people posting in the review forums nowadays? And most of them seem to be big fans of the film they are posting about??? Or even to the extent where they simply just post (something like) THIS FILM WAS BRILLIANT, STALLONE IS GREAT.

Maybe its just me noticing something thats not there, and hopefully its just the case that this forum is getting a lot more fans who only seem to post in threads of the films theyve watched and loved. Cant help but be a little cynical towards these posters though

(in reply to grucl)
Post #: 160
RE: Wtf - 20/8/2010 6:07:30 PM   
Kilo_T_Mortal

It can happen on a lot of films especially the big ones, makes it difficult for more regular posters to come on and post their review or find other people's and it's as a annoying as Deviation's trolling.

he's ruining my buestiful threat!

"She must have known about all this before she let that grinning loon put his space-cock anywhere near her?"
horribleives

(in reply to Tyler_D)
Post #: 161
RE: Wtf - 20/8/2010 9:41:14 PM   
BOHEMIANBOB

Indeed it is

Misunderstood.
Don't care.

(in reply to Kilo_T_Mortal)
Post #: 162
RE: Wtf - 20/8/2010 9:46:13 PM   
BOHEMIANBOB

I think though,to be fair,surely the point of posting is motivated by what you like,or if you are a bit more daring,exploring possible films/genres that you want to dip your toe into?(Not literally!).
If you came on to solely have a negative go at films/posters,that isn't really what it should be about either,is it?And i won't use the T word or even the D word.
I think a healthy discussion and passionate banter about our opinions is ok,let's be honest,very few will change their postion,that's human nature.
I do agree though that this film and its review has seen a lot of what you talk about.

Misunderstood.
Don't care.

(in reply to Tyler_D)
Post #: 163
RE: Wtf - 21/8/2010 12:51:23 AM   
Deviation

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kilo_T_Mortal

It can happen on a lot of films especially the big ones, makes it difficult for more regular posters to come on and post their review or find other people's and it's as a annoying as Deviation's trolling.

I wasn't trolling.

Though enough of this.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to Kilo_T_Mortal)
Post #: 164
RE: Wtf - 21/8/2010 12:12:04 PM   
Chojin

I thought it was a good watch and was exactly what I was expecting. Terry Crews stole the show towards the end with his earth-shattering shotgun which made watchtowers explode for some strange reason. If I could ask for one thing it would have been more screen-time for the supporting cast. Only three of the team-members ever got any kind of non-combat screen-time. It just would have been nice and given the film a little more depth.

The action was fast flowing very well choreographed especially jason stathams mix of pistol and gun combat, it was a joy to watch.

http://chojin.devour.org - Mixes, Contact, Etc
XBL/PSN - Chojin22000

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 165
This isn't 80's... - 21/8/2010 1:10:11 PM   
Hood_Man

SPOILERS (and badly written)

This was a mixed bag for me.

Awesome moments:

Statham sitting on the nose of a plane slicing up a small army with a massive machine gun and then setting fire to them

Statham beating the crap out of half a dozen basketball guys (I loved the stabbing the basketball threat). The guy's built like a tank!

That massive and incredibly loud machine gun Terry Crews was walking around with.

People literally being blown to bits.

Mickey Rourke's monologue about salvation.

"4 and a half men."

"What's his problem?" "He wasnt to be president."

Stallone's incredibly obvious lifts in his shoes

Rubbish moments:

Arnie and Willis' cameo. The two most famous guys in the whole film are used up in the same damn scene and do nothing. Nevermind that it clearly wasn't rehearsed, it just felt tacked on and pointless. Why tease us like that? Harvey Keitel had more screen presence as the voice on the telephone in Inglourious Basterds. Could they seriously not come up with something better than 2 minutes of bad puns and unfunny one-liners? Mr Freeze come back, all is forgiven!

Could Arnie not have been a mysterious voice on a radio giving Stallone instructions throughout the film or something? Everyone would know it was his voice, but still his big reveal could have come at the end of the film with him sitting on a deck chair on a large wodden balcony, in a hawaiian shirt, surrounded by beautiful women in bikini's, overlooking a beach in the caribbean somewhere, where he puts down a radio, picks up a pair of Terminator 2 sunglasses, puts them on, sits back and smiles.
Just something that would have kept his presence throughout the film. And frankly, I can't imagine it would take very long for him to film. A few hours in a soundbooth with a script in front of him, and then spend a few hours on set to shoot a scene that would be 3 or 4 shots at most. No location work either, just a wooden balcony, some extra's and a green screen.

And that for me was the big problem with this film. This was supposed to be a nostalgic throwback to the great cheesy action movies of the 80's, and yet all the elements of the 80's were missing or poorly implemented. Lundgren was barely in it, and his fight with Li was a missed opportunity of shakey cam close-ups and quick cuts that missed half of what they were doing (seriously, when will this fad end?!).
And although I said Statham's beatdown in the basketball court was awesome, it looked more MTV than Rambo.

If you want to make a nostalgic 80's action movie you need more than just big explosions and guns!

And yet incredibly, despite these guys not having much in the way of screentime, Stallone still managed to be the least interesting part of his own movie! Why did he feel so compelled to go back and save that woman? There was no chemistry between them. And why did that woman refuse to go with him?

There's more I could say but I'm bored now. To sum up there were bits I liked and bits I didn't.

I'd give it 2.5/5

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 166
RE: Ultra Violence - 21/8/2010 6:03:08 PM   
Super Hans

***SPOILERS

We went to see it this afternoon, what a fun film! Ok, it wasn't particularly clever (and I had to concede to my fiancee that no, it didn't really have much of a plot ) but it was just a fun, loud, satisfying brutal action film. Not much more that you can say really - if you want to see a fun action film that's really just a framework for large, muscular men thumping, kicking, stabbing, shooting and blowing people/each other up then you can't knock it!

By the way, was it just me or was Eric Roberts getting knifed through the chest a seriously dodgy special effect??

"Its staring at you in the face Mark, there's only one more sex to try..."
Post #: 167
RE: Wtf - 22/8/2010 12:48:10 AM   
juanvasquez

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chojin

I thought it was a good watch and was exactly what I was expecting. Terry Crews stole the show towards the end with his earth-shattering shotgun which made watchtowers explode for some strange reason. If I could ask for one thing it would have been more screen-time for the supporting cast. Only three of the team-members ever got any kind of non-combat screen-time. It just would have been nice and given the film a little more depth.

The action was fast flowing very well choreographed especially jason stathams mix of pistol and gun combat, it was a joy to watch.

Brilliant stuff!

Though he did point out that he also had explosive rounds. But the way you put it makes it sound more fun!

Check out my cult games reviews and features at Horror Cult Films

(in reply to Chojin)
Post #: 168
RE: This isn't 80's... - 22/8/2010 1:09:38 AM   
BOHEMIANBOB

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hood_Man

Awesome moments:

Statham sitting on the nose of a plane slicing up a small army with a massive machine gun and then setting fire to them

Statham beating the crap out of half a dozen basketball guys (I loved the stabbing the basketball threat). The guy's built like a tank!

That massive and incredibly loud machine gun Terry Crews was walking around with.

"4 and a half men."

Rubbish moments:

Arnie and Willis' cameo. The two most famous guys in the whole film are used up in the same damn scene and do nothing. Nevermind that it clearly wasn't rehearsed, it just felt tacked on and pointless. Why tease us like that? Harvey Keitel had more screen presence as the voice on the telephone in Inglourious Basterds. Could they seriously not come up with something better than 2 minutes of bad puns and unfunny one-liners? Mr Freeze come back, all is forgiven!

Could Arnie not have been a mysterious voice on a radio giving Stallone instructions throughout the film or something? Everyone would know it was his voice, but still his big reveal could have come at the end of the film with him sitting on a deck chair on a large wodden balcony, in a hawaiian shirt, surrounded by beautiful women in bikini's, overlooking a beach in the caribbean somewhere, where he puts down a radio, picks up a pair of Terminator 2 sunglasses, puts them on, sits back and smiles.
Just something that would have kept his presence throughout the film. And frankly, I can't imagine it would take very long for him to film. A few hours in a soundbooth with a script in front of him, and then spend a few hours on set to shoot a scene that would be 3 or 4 shots at most. No location work either, just a wooden balcony, some extra's and a green screen.

And that for me was the big problem with this film. This was supposed to be a nostalgic throwback to the great cheesy action movies of the 80's, and yet all the elements of the 80's were missing or poorly implemented. Lundgren was barely in it, and his fight with Li was a missed opportunity of shakey cam close-ups and quick cuts that missed half of what they were doing (seriously, when will this fad end?!).
And although I said Statham's beatdown in the basketball court was awesome, it looked more MTV than Rambo.

If you want to make a nostalgic 80's action movie you need more than just big explosions and guns!

And yet incredibly, despite these guys not having much in the way of screentime, Stallone still managed to be the least interesting part of his own movie! Why did he feel so compelled to go back and save that woman? There was no chemistry between them. And why did that woman refuse to go with him?

There's more I could say but I'm bored now. To sum up there were bits I liked and bits I didn't.

I'd give it 2.5/5

Agree with some of your points,but must disagree with your overall analysis.
This is not a film that needs any great deep level of thought.That is why it is enjoyable.
It is visual,a few good gags,some decent old school actors and is a great popcorn film.
What more do you want?"chemistry"?

Misunderstood.
Don't care.

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 169
RE: W.Y.S.I.W.Y.G - 22/8/2010 1:11:35 AM   
BOHEMIANBOB

quote:

ORIGINAL: SkullKassidy

It couldn't be more overtly macho if it was made out red meat, bourbon and the tears of a beaten housewife. The dialogue and interactions are awful, the plot appears rarely and only 2 or 3 of the cast can actually act. That said, if you are looking for that stuff then why did you pay to see this film? If you appreciate shooting, explosions, punching and kicking then you will probably like this. I thought it was a good laugh and very much enjoyed the novelty of seeing Jet Li and Dolph Lungren fight each other (props to the reviewer for singling that punch-up out)

Alot more cheesey one-liners and a JCVD appearance and it might have pulled off 5 star from me!

"tears of a beaten housewife"
I mean
JCVD and Seagal could have made this a 5 star movie-they turned it down!

Misunderstood.
Don't care.
Post #: 170
RE: This isn't 80's... - 22/8/2010 2:31:32 PM   
Hood_Man

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hood_Man

Awesome moments:

"4 and a half men."

Rubbish moments:

I'd give it 2.5/5

Agree with some of your points,but must disagree with your overall analysis.
This is not a film that needs any great deep level of thought.That is why it is enjoyable.
It is visual,a few good gags,some decent old school actors and is a great popcorn film.
What more do you want?"chemistry"?

Fair enough. I would love it if they all came back for a sequel and had another go at it though (which looks likely since it's doing pretty well in the states right now), especially if the guys like Lundgren and Willis could return and devote more time to it. Maybe let an 80's action movie fanboy write the script and direct though.

Maybe they could include Arnie in another cameo at the end, phoning from the Oval Office as the President

quote:

JCVD and Seagal could have made this a 5 star movie-they turned it down!

Agree completely! Hopefully Van Damme realises his mistake and says yes if he's asked to be in a sequel.

(in reply to BOHEMIANBOB)
Post #: 171
RE: Wtf - 22/8/2010 2:42:06 PM   
target

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tyler_D

I havent seen the film but plan on doing so this weekend, so this has nothing to do with the quality of the The Expendables and maybe what I have noticed is wide of the mark.

I have been a long-time lurker of these forums, posting occasionally and always pop in here before viewing a film to get Empires opinion and then the people of the forum. Is it just me or are there a lot of new/low post people posting in the review forums nowadays? And most of them seem to be big fans of the film they are posting about??? Or even to the extent where they simply just post (something like) THIS FILM WAS BRILLIANT, STALLONE IS GREAT.

Maybe its just me noticing something thats not there, and hopefully its just the case that this forum is getting a lot more fans who only seem to post in threads of the films theyve watched and loved. Cant help but be a little cynical towards these posters though

It's because they post in the bit under the review. So they don't actually visit the forums.

We're not retreating we're advancing in another direction

Thanks for the AV darthbane.

(in reply to Tyler_D)
Post #: 172
RE: The Expendables - 22/8/2010 4:02:42 PM   
paulyboy

Easy and quick to review this one.

Action sequences very good, rest of the film mostly shite, and not in an 80's throwback awful one liner kind of shite either, just plain old not very good and actually quite dull kind of shite.

Still I like I said, the action was nice.

2/5

"Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever!"

(in reply to target)
Post #: 173
RE: An Action Movie The Way It Should Be - 23/8/2010 12:06:32 PM   
darth silas

Just saw it last night and thought it was a total blast! A real lads movie(saw it with three mates).Loud,violent,and women were just hot eye candy.In other words...GREAT MOVIE!

The cast are all great and its terrific to see so many action icons together on screen.The final battle was the best action iv seen since Rambo and Terry Crews nearly stole the show with his limited screen time and humongous machine gun!

Minor flaws:The Arnie and Bruce cameo was nice but i would have liked more screen time for them both.The fights between Li and Lundgren were a bit over edited.

Other than that..AWESOME!

A high four stars from me.

Star Wars:Episodes 1,2,3,4,5,6.Taken together they are one giant movie and it is the greatest movie EVER.
Post #: 174
RE: An Action Movie The Way It Should Be - 23/8/2010 12:25:50 PM   
Piles

I thought it was a load of rubbish. Nowhere near enough comedy and the comedy that was in it wasn't good comedy. I wasn't going into this expecting Citizen Kane but I was at least expecting Face/Off levels of ridiculous fun and outrageous comedy. It says a lot when Terry Crews is the best actor in the Expendables group.

Top 100 Moz Songs / Top 100 Films

(in reply to darth silas)
Post #: 175
RE: An Action Movie The Way It Should Be - 23/8/2010 1:14:04 PM   
Pigeon Army

quote:

ORIGINAL: Piles

I thought it was a load of rubbish. Nowhere near enough comedy and the comedy that was in it wasn't good comedy. I wasn't going into this expecting Citizen Kane but I was at least expecting Face/Off levels of ridiculous fun and outrageous comedy. It says a lot when Terry Crews is the best actor in the Expendables group.

Methinks you should've gotten more acquainted with Stallone's recent directorial career before you saw it. The man's nothing if not deadly serious these days.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rinc
She's supposed to be 13! I'd want her to be very attractive though

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat
quote:

Stop being mean to Deviation

No.

(in reply to Piles)
Post #: 176
RE: Easily one of the Top 5 action movies ever!! - 23/8/2010 1:24:49 PM   
Piles

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kalel2010

Anyone who criticises this film doesn't know a thing about action movies.

lol.

quote:

Methinks you should've gotten more acquainted with Stallone's recent directorial career before you saw it. The man's nothing if not deadly serious these days.

Perhaps.

Top 100 Moz Songs / Top 100 Films
Post #: 177
RE: Easily one of the Top 5 action movies ever!! - 23/8/2010 1:31:25 PM   
Rgirvan44

Yeah, I liked the Expenables a lot, but it is no where near on the level of action movies like Predator, Die Hard or Robocop.

You could have cut the Statham girlfirend subplot without missing a beat for instance.

(in reply to Piles)
Post #: 178
RE: Easily one of the Top 5 action movies ever!! - 23/8/2010 1:56:55 PM   
darth silas

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

Yeah, I liked the Expenables a lot, but it is no where near on the level of action movies like Predator, Die Hard or Robocop.

You could have cut the Statham girlfirend subplot without missing a beat for instance.

Unfortunately,it appears Statham insists on having a hot girlfriend in every picture hes in.Although im amazed he managed to keep his shirt on for once!

Star Wars:Episodes 1,2,3,4,5,6.Taken together they are one giant movie and it is the greatest movie EVER.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 179
RE: Wtf - 23/8/2010 2:30:27 PM   
horribleives

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tyler_D

Anyone else find it ironic that hardcore action movie fans - lovers of all things tough and manly - cry like little girls when someone says something negative about their favourite musclebound star?

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to Tyler_D)
Post #: 180
Page:   <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Well done Sly Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI