Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Well done Sly

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Well done Sly Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Well done Sly - 19/8/2010 10:23:19 AM   
The Hooded Man

quote:

ORIGINAL: BOHEMIANBOB

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation

quote:

This film has taken it's non-critical acclaim and stuck two fingers up at the critics who panned it and Stallone with its success.
It is a box office fact,so not some questionable fan bias.
The critics Dev didn't see it coming,and they are paid to see it coming.

I'm sorry, when did critics become the film's financial/economical experts (and critics didn't see the film winning)? When? That is certainly not their job.

quote:

Personally i'm glad this film caught them out amid all the teen film wankery that even critics seem to bow down to these days.
A good film for grown ups who themselves are sticking two fingers up at the critics.

Teen film wankery like Inception, United 93 and........wait, what teen wankery? Becuase Scott Pilgrim got acclaim then suddenly it is teen wankery?

quote:

Just on the being in touch with the cinema-going public Dev-this is the number one defence when questions of bias/impartiality are levelled at critics.And to be very clear,i'm talking about critics in general,not specifically Empire.

I see words, I think I know what they mean but I can't understand what you are trying to say.

quote:

Personally i'm glad this film caught them out amid all the teen film wankery that even critics seem to bow down to these days.
A good film for grown ups who themselves are sticking two fingers up at the critics.

Ah yes it is for grown ups, it is a clever complex drama that.....no wait, it just has a lot of violence and action and it is dumber than fuck, and thank God for it, and it is aimed squarely for who wants that and bless it. But please don't sell it like it something we have been missing for ages. We had Sin City, Predators, 300, Apocalypto, Johnny To's films and many other violent action flicks (all having decent amount of acclaim) and all did well.

quote:

I think it is absolutely bloody fantastic when a film like the Expendables literally batters the oppostion and the critics,who again,i think write some really unfair and irrelevant articles about Stallone and action films in general.

Yeah, action films get such bad press, well those considered rubbish.

Also, you must have missed the bit where The Expendables GOT FUCKING PRESS.

I can't imagine why The Expendables beating the competition is such a great. Great for it, but generic 80s film retread beating film with actual imagination and fun in it does not sound like a positive for me.

Jesus,Dev,you stay up late
Are you disagreeing with my points for the sake of it?
It IS a film critic's job to be aware of what is going on in the cinema fandom club.That is why Empire doesn't cover every page with articles on Goddard-nobody would buy it.Well maybe 10 people.
Popularity/commercial success/critical success are very relevant.It is why,ironically,massive coverage to films like Pilgrim doesn't bother me,my irk is about snooty condescending opinions about films like this-and i say it again,it is great to see a grown up film for grown ups doing well.
Inception and United 93??I don't know what you mean,they are great films and not "teen wankery",i never said that.Everyone knows there is a new type of bland banal tripe(my opinion) that seems to be popular with teens these days,like Twilight.It's off-topic to this,but the cartoons i grew up with had more depth.Good luck to those who like them.
As for the words you don't understand,when a film gets saturation coverage,it is justified by saying "it's what the fans want".
As for the films you mention,this is better than them(again my opinion).
Yes,it did get FUCKING PRESS.....BAD FUCKING PRESS...that is my point.
Ah,the bit at the end,now i see,another disgruntled Pilgrim fan.
You should have just said that at the start and saved all these post Dev

You hit the nail on the head Bob, Pilgrim fans can't avoid taking pointless pops at The Expendables, why can't people just go and enjoy films for what they are?
You would swear members of the forum here actually made Scott Pilgrim themselves.

< Message edited by The Hooded Man -- 19/8/2010 10:24:15 AM >

Counting the minutes until the over zealous mods lock this thread too.

(in reply to BOHEMIANBOB)
Post #: 121
RE: Well done Sly - 19/8/2010 10:32:32 AM   
BOHEMIANBOB

You know,i'm not actually against the Pilgrim film,i have heard so much and read so much about it but haven't seen it.
In the thread of its review here,there was a backlash against it which was a bit ott.
My original point was about the Expendables and how good it was to see it do well,not specifically at the expense of any other film,in fact more for Stallone,who has endured decades of put-downs.
And this man created Rocky,he wasn't just the character.
So fair play to him,this is his week.
Then you get people saying how sad it is that essentially this 80s shite beats the modern comic film.
Sorry,but bolloxs to that

Misunderstood.
Don't care.
Have you seen my stolen signature?!

(in reply to The Hooded Man)
Post #: 122
RE: Well done Sly - 19/8/2010 11:08:49 AM   
Pigeon Army

quote:

ORIGINAL: The Hooded Man

You hit the nail on the head Bob, Pilgrim fans can't avoid taking pointless pops at The Expendables, why can't people just go and enjoy films for what they are?
You would swear members of the forum here actually made Scott Pilgrim themselves.

If you watch that conversation, Bob started the pops at Pilgrim - Deviation made no pops at The Expendables, and furthermore, people have made pops at The Expendables and the age of the actors just as much as people have made pops at the audience Scott Pilgrim's aimed at and the ADD aesthetic it carries. Just because Scott Pilgrim got better-reviewed over the weekend, and just because Empire's just one outlet that aligns with Pilgrim over The Expendables, doesn't mean that The Expendables has suddenly become the victim - indeed, it got plenty of press from Empire and other sources beforehand, a lot of it positive.

And on this, can we stop this stupid one-upmanship? I'm tired of fans of The Expendables whining that it got a tough shake and should've gotten as good a score as Pilgrim, I'm tired of people dropping into the Scott Pilgrim thread and bitching about Empire's review, I'm sure many others are too. Empire thought The Expendables was alright - build a bridge and get over it if that's not enough for you. This weekend's reviews are no reason for people to start bitching that Empire's lost its touch with the 'people' and that criticism is meant to be a popularity contest.

tl;dr - This thread is for reviews. Not whining about Empire disagreeing with you.

< Message edited by Pigeon Army -- 19/8/2010 11:09:46 AM >

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rinc
She's supposed to be 13! I'd want her to be very attractive though

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat
quote:

ORIGINAL: Pigeon Army
Stop being mean to Deviation

No.

Post #: 123
RE: Well done Sly - 19/8/2010 11:59:00 AM   
BOHEMIANBOB

That isn't entirely accurate PA.
I started a reponse to Dev about the A Team(reasonable comparison?) and the "fun" aspect.
I pointed out this was my opnion on a thread about the film,and a film i'd seen.
On the related issue,i'd posted on the Pigrim thread about all the nonsense over there.
I then get United 93 thrown at me(?) and then lastly an attack on the Expendables while bemoaning the thrashing Pilgrim got at the box office.Which is the point/complaint i think you're making.
Anyway,the Expendables rocks,and i like it!

Misunderstood.
Don't care.

(in reply to Pigeon Army)
Post #: 124
RE: Well done Sly - 19/8/2010 12:05:28 PM   
BOHEMIANBOB

Sorry,just to be clear,where did i specifically have a "pop" at Pilgrim??
I was more making a comparison between Cera and Stallone-not that there is much to compare.
Dev dressed his disgruntlement about Pilgrim to take issue with what i had said about critics in general.
And he clearly had a "pop" at the Expendables.

Misunderstood.
Don't care.

Post #: 125
RE: Well done Sly - 19/8/2010 12:10:38 PM   
Pigeon Army

quote:

I then get United 93 thrown at me(?) and then lastly an attack on the Expendables while bemoaning the thrashing Pilgrim got at the box office.Which is the point/complaint i think you're making.

Oh, come the fuck off it. You first dropped a mention of Pilgrim with your "Michael Cera seems to be loved by critics despite the fact he is the same character in every film and not very good at it.No plastic surgery for him,just plastic acting.Yet he's let off,Scott free if you like" and implying that it got good reviews because reviewers are pretentious and out of touch - which, I'll note, is hilarious given you state in previous comments and that very comment you said you weren't going to get into it. Devi refrains from making any value judgments about Pilgrim OR The Expendables, merely asking you to elaborate on a few comments and defending the jokes about Stallone's age, and then you launch into that "i'm glad this film caught them out amid all the teen film wankery that even critics seem to bow down to these days" bullshit (your argument that reviewers are basically glorified popularity barometers is also bullshit, but that's for another thread).  Yes, the United 93 reference was out of left field, but you're blatantly lying there, and on the same page as well.

Basically, Bob, stop being a goddamn hypocrite and stick to The Expendables here, not whining about Scott Pilgrim, Empire not giving The Expendables a fair shake, or the role of critics being to mirror the box office.

quote:

quote:

quote:

No.

Post #: 126
RE: Well done Sly - 19/8/2010 12:14:24 PM   
Pigeon Army

quote:

Dev dressed his disgruntlement about Pilgrim to take issue with what i had said about critics in general.

No he didn't and no, he didn't. His questions are clearly vague, and you are the one who kept bringing Pilgrim into it. Also, Devi expressed a desire to see The Expendables and merely made jokes about Stallone's age - hardly firing on all cylinders.

Just stop trying to play the victim here, Bob, and get back to discussing the film this thread is based on. It's not that hard.

quote:

quote:

quote:

No.

Post #: 127
RE: Well done Sly - 19/8/2010 12:25:04 PM   
BOHEMIANBOB

quote:

quote:

No he didn't and no, he didn't. His questions are clearly vague, and you are the one who kept bringing Pilgrim into it. Also, Devi expressed a desire to see The Expendables and merely made jokes about Stallone's age - hardly firing on all cylinders.

Just stop trying to play the victim here, Bob, and get back to discussing the film this thread is based on. It's not that hard.

Hold on a second,what are you on about?You didn't answer my actual question,just some vague assertion you are right and i'm wrong.
If you actually read my posts,i have stayed on topic as best one can.
Dev said:
"Generic 80s film retread beating a film WITH ACTUAL IMAGINATION AND FUN DOES NOT SOUND LIKE A POSITIVE FOR ME"
How is that not a "pop" and how is it a vague question"?
Has he even seen both these films to make such a comparison?
Please stop trying to make out i'm portraying myself as something i'm not,ie a "victim".It's silly at best.

Misunderstood.
Don't care.

Post #: 128
RE: Well done Sly - 19/8/2010 12:31:21 PM   
Pigeon Army

quote:

Hold on a second,what are you on about?You didn't answer my actual question,just some vague assertion you are right and i'm wrong.
If you actually read my posts,i have stayed on topic as best one can.
Dev said:
"Generic 80s film retread beating a film WITH ACTUAL IMAGINATION AND FUN DOES NOT SOUND LIKE A POSITIVE FOR ME"
How is that not a "pop" and how is it a vague question"?
Has he even seen both these films to make such a comparison?
Please stop trying to make out i'm portraying myself as something i'm not,ie a "victim".It's silly at best.

Touche, there's one. At the end of the argument after the comments about Cera and "teen wankery" - basically, after you had forcibly dragged Pilgrim into it. Again, you're trying to play like you're not the one who started it, and this "It was him!" stuff is schoolyard bullshit that has no place here.

Just stop. It's frustrating, it's distracting from the people who might actually want to discuss The Expendables, and it's incredibly dull.

quote:

quote:

quote:

No.

Post #: 129
RE: Well done Sly - 19/8/2010 12:38:13 PM   
BOHEMIANBOB

Sorry PA,you started the "it was him first" remarks.It's a third-party weigh in that wasn't needed.Nothing untoward was said by anybody.
I can't keep going around this merry go round.My head is starting to spin!
At least i'll discuss a film i've actually seen

Misunderstood.
Don't care.

Post #: 130
RE: Well done Sly - 19/8/2010 12:40:35 PM   
BOHEMIANBOB

Anyway,has nobody noticed the amount of wrestling finishing moves in this film??
Austin just needed to do a stunner!
Sly moves brilliantly for a man of his age,yes they have doubles(but so did Statham),but he looks in great shape.

Misunderstood.
Don't care.

Post #: 131
RE: Well done Sly - 19/8/2010 12:52:45 PM   
Pigeon Army

quote:

Sorry PA,you started the "it was him first" remarks.It's a third-party weigh in that wasn't needed.Nothing untoward was said by anybody.

I'm a mod. It's my job to weigh in when you're going off-topic and then lying about doing it.

quote:

quote:

quote:

No.

Post #: 132
RE: Well done Sly - 19/8/2010 1:02:26 PM   
grucl

quote:

I'm a mod. It's my job to weigh in when you're going off-topic and then lying about doing it.

This could be the voice-over from the beginning of a TV series.

I'm a mod.
It's my job to weigh in when you're going off-topic and then lying about doing it.
My name...is Pigeon Army!
*cue title music*

Anyway, carry on...

Post #: 133
RE: Well done Sly - 19/8/2010 1:04:54 PM   
Pigeon Army

quote:

ORIGINAL: grucl

quote:

This could be the voice-over from the beginning of a TV series.

I'm a mod.
It's my job to weigh in when you're going off-topic and then lying about doing it.
My name...is Pigeon Army!
*cue title music*

Anyway, carry on...

What you don't know is that I'm a highflying television executive at NBC, and I think you've got moxie, kid. Be in my office Monday and I'll give you a twelve-episode deal, with Terry Crews playing 'Pigeon Army: Mod for Hire'.

quote:

quote:

quote:

No.

(in reply to grucl)
Post #: 134
RE: Well done Sly - 19/8/2010 1:19:18 PM   
Keyser Sozzled

I would watch that show.

I have no idea who any of them are, apart from Terry Pratchett who I know has got a beard and keeps going on about killing himself but never does.

Post #: 135
RE: Well done Sly - 19/8/2010 1:41:51 PM   
The Hooded Man

Is it just me or are we all being a little supercilious?

Post #: 136
RE: Well done Sly - 19/8/2010 1:46:54 PM   
Kilo_T_Mortal

Can a mod come in here and remove most of these posts? I'd actually like to read some reviews of people who have seen the fucking thing. Or discuss it with someone who has, i can't believe so many people liked the scene with Arnie and Willis.

Everyone else should just piss off.

he's ruining my buestiful threat!

"She must have known about all this before she let that grinning loon put his space-cock anywhere near her?"
horribleives

Post #: 137
RE: Well done Sly - 19/8/2010 1:48:59 PM   
The Hooded Man

I thought the Arnie and Bruce scene was one of the weaker aspects of an otherwise excellent film.

(in reply to Kilo_T_Mortal)
Post #: 138
RE: Well done Sly - 19/8/2010 1:54:40 PM   
Pigeon Army

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kilo_T_Mortal

Can a mod come in here and remove most of these posts? I'd actually like to read some reviews of people who have seen the fucking thing. Or discuss it with someone who has, i can't believe so many people liked the scene with Arnie and Willis.

Assuming no-one else wants to start bitching about Empire's review, you're all good.

And the "assuming" was sarcastic. I don't want anyone doing that any more. Here is not the place.

quote:

quote:

quote:

No.

Post #: 139
RE: Well done Sly - 19/8/2010 1:56:49 PM   
My name is Legion

quote:

quote:

Yep, you're a mod, so maybe you should focus more on very, very obvious wind-up merchants like Deviation.

Post #: 140
RE: Well done Sly - 19/8/2010 2:01:59 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kilo_T_Mortal

Willis stole the scene with his goofy laugh. I miss that Willis.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

Post #: 141
RE: Well done Sly - 19/8/2010 2:03:42 PM   
The Hooded Man

It's been a while since Willis had fun. Even Die Hard IV had serious Bruce and felt all wrong.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 142
RE: Well done Sly - 19/8/2010 2:17:04 PM   
The Hooded Man

quote:

ORIGINAL: My name is Legion

quote:

quote:

Yep, you're a mod, so maybe you should focus more on very, very obvious wind-up merchants like Deviation.

Surely you're not suggesting that mods are being selective about who they lay the smack on and give their mates an easy ride?
As if anything like that would happen on here.

(in reply to My name is Legion)
Post #: 143
RE: Well done Sly - 19/8/2010 2:22:23 PM   
Deviation

quote:

quote:

quote:

Excuuuuuuuussssssseeeeeeeeeeee me?

*I blame Universal for this, whose brilliant idea was it to release it with The Expendables? Fire the bastard.

< Message edited by Deviation -- 19/8/2010 2:23:54 PM >

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to My name is Legion)
Post #: 144
RE: Well done Sly - 19/8/2010 2:26:40 PM   
The Hooded Man

Without wanting to cause further trouble why can't we discuss Empire's review of The Expendables in the Film Review section of the Empire website?

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 145
RE: Well done Sly - 19/8/2010 2:27:38 PM   
Rgirvan44

I liked Dolphs pirate line.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

Post #: 146
RE: Well done Sly - 19/8/2010 2:29:44 PM   
Deviation

quote:

ORIGINAL: The Hooded Man

Without wanting to cause further trouble why can't we discuss Empire's review of The Expendables in the Film Review section of the Empire website?

Excellent idea. It was descending into IMdb nonsense here.

quote:

There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

Post #: 147
RE: Well done Sly - 19/8/2010 2:30:53 PM   
Rgirvan44

Also Eric Roberts just oozes sleazy and awesome.

"I don't hit women...my friend here on the other hand..."

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 148
RE: Well done Sly - 19/8/2010 2:33:16 PM   
Deviation

I have seen a bit involving a plane, tier, flare and Statham blowing things up with a flaregun, it was wonderful.  

quote:

quote:

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 149
RE: Well done Sly - 19/8/2010 2:39:05 PM   
My name is Legion

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation

quote:

quote:

quote:

Excuuuuuuuussssssseeeeeeeeeeee me?

*I blame Universal for this, whose brilliant idea was it to release it with The Expendables? Fire the bastard.

You're excused.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Well done Sly Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI