Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Inception - Beware of Spoilers!!

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: Inception - Beware of Spoilers!! Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Inception - Beware of Spoilers!! - 19/7/2010 11:02:58 PM   
juanvasquez

Even though it was planted there to illicit an emotional response from Fischer, when he finds the windmill in the safe I was almost welling up. It was such a great moment and you have to remind yourself it's all staged!

Check out my cult games reviews and features at Horror Cult Films

(in reply to adambatman82)
Post #: 121
RE: Inception - Beware of Spoilers!! - 20/7/2010 1:30:42 AM   
BOHEMIANBOB

quote:

ORIGINAL: adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: BOHEMIANBOB

quote:

Did Cobb not enter limbo before Saito (Saito died after Cobb and Ariadne went into the final dream stage).

Don't think so!
Cobb went after Saito when he dies(and into limbo) with Page, as his wife,part of his subconscious,is trying to sabotage the inception.

No he didn't, Cobb went after Fischer when HE died. Saito was still alive when Cobb went into limbo, he was given the task of covering Eames and protecting the 'sleeping' bodies of Cobb and Ariadne when the base was being attacked. He died just after throwing a grenade down a shaft, preventing the bad guys from getting in. Cobb even says to Ariedne in limbo that Saito would have died since they left, and thats why he's staying (to look for him).

Cobb and Ariadne initially went into limbo to save Fischer.

Yeah,but Saito died too and entered Limbo-he was actually more important than Fischer,as even if the inception worked,there would be no pardon for Cobb.

Misunderstood.
Don't care.
Have you seen my stolen signature?!

Post #: 122
RE: Inception - Beware of Spoilers!! - 20/7/2010 1:33:11 AM   
BOHEMIANBOB

quote:

ORIGINAL: juanvasquez

Even though it was planted there to illicit an emotional response from Fischer, when he finds the windmill in the safe I was almost welling up. It was such a great moment and you have to remind yourself it's all staged!

Yeah,it was an amazing moment,and although staged,it just achingly showed a sons yearning to be loved.
Probably a stand out scene of the catharsis and human issues involved in a very complex drama where reality was hard to decipher.

Misunderstood.
Don't care.
Have you seen my stolen signature?!

(in reply to juanvasquez)
Post #: 123
RE: Inception - Beware of Spoilers!! - 20/7/2010 4:57:33 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

I've done little but think about his film since seeing it last night and it's now making my head hurt, and the theories on here aren't helping

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to BOHEMIANBOB)
Post #: 124
RE: Inception - Beware of Spoilers!! - 20/7/2010 8:44:41 AM   
Blue Lupus

Must admit, it caused a little disagreement in this household last night. I've been tracking this film for a while now and so I managed to get the wife to come along, mainly because I went to see Eclipse with her. I really thought she wouldn't "get it", but she did and loved it. Now, Mrs. Blue Lupus believes the film is as we saw it and that in the end Cobb does get home. Me on the other hand looked it into a bit deeper, my theory was it was all just one big dream. Maybe four levels of dream? Cobb was never not allowed into America and perhaps HE was the owner of the energy business the whole time and he was returning home to his family as any other business man would. Why was his father at the airport? How did he know he was going to be home? The kids in the garden playing? The look on everybody's face on the plane? They looked like they'd never seen Cobb in their lives. Where was all the equipment they'd been hooked up to? Many unanswered questions and it might be for the best to leave it at that. The audience can almost create their own story from what Nolan has developed. It's like he's planted the seed in our minds, to coin a phrase.

A quality, quality film I shall be purchasing on Blu-Ray.

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 125
RE: Inception - Beware of Spoilers!! - 20/7/2010 9:33:13 AM   
adambatman82

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Did Cobb not enter limbo before Saito (Saito died after Cobb and Ariadne went into the final dream stage).

Don't think so!
Cobb went after Saito when he dies(and into limbo) with Page, as his wife,part of his subconscious,is trying to sabotage the inception.

No he didn't, Cobb went after Fischer when HE died. Saito was still alive when Cobb went into limbo, he was given the task of covering Eames and protecting the 'sleeping' bodies of Cobb and Ariadne when the base was being attacked. He died just after throwing a grenade down a shaft, preventing the bad guys from getting in. Cobb even says to Ariedne in limbo that Saito would have died since they left, and thats why he's staying (to look for him).

Cobb and Ariadne initially went into limbo to save Fischer.

Yeah,but Saito died too and entered Limbo-he was actually more important than Fischer,as even if the inception worked,there would be no pardon for Cobb.

Yeah, but I'm not questioning that. I was just wanting to establish the correct order of those entering limbo, which is -

Fischer - Stabbed by Mal on level three.

followed by

Cobb and Ariadne - who followed Mal from level three.

followed by

Saito - who died with level three as the deepest of the levels, which dictates that he also died on levels 1 and 2.

The fact that he effectively died and entered limbo from three different levels must be of importance.

(in reply to BOHEMIANBOB)
Post #: 126
RE: Inception - Beware of Spoilers!! - 20/7/2010 9:34:17 AM   
adambatman82

I watched Following last night. One of the leads is called Cobb. Coincidence?

Post #: 127
RE: Inception - Beware of Spoilers!! - 20/7/2010 9:59:01 AM   
demoncleaner

quote:

In the Empire review I think Nev earmarks significance in the names for all of the characters (probably with the exception of Saito – although in fairness Sato was the villain in Karate Kid II lest we forget!) including Eames and Arthur (am I right in saying they derive from names of academics who researched sleep…stuff?), and Mal (“which means bad in French” – a bit limp that one) and Ariadne goes without saying.  I haven’t seen Following, but isn’t it the case that the Cobb in that is also a thief?

Post #: 128
RE: Inception - Beware of Spoilers!! - 20/7/2010 10:36:57 AM   
adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: demoncleaner

quote:

In the Empire review I think Nev earmarks significance in the names for all of the characters (probably with the exception of Saito – although in fairness Sato was the villain in Karate Kid II lest we forget!) including Eames and Arthur (am I right in saying they derive from names of academics who researched sleep…stuff?), and Mal (“which means bad in French” – a bit limp that one) and Ariadne goes without saying.  I haven’t seen Following, but isn’t it the case that the Cobb in that is also a thief?

Yes he is, a burglar in fact. The interesting thing tho, is that rather than simply steal he uses burglaries to place ideas into people's minds (for example, he does something to suggest to a woman that her husband is cheating on her. For Cobb (in Following), its more about the provocation of the act than the addition gained through stealing. Which, to me at least, draws comparisons to the Joker and Cobb in Inception.

(in reply to demoncleaner)
Post #: 129
RE: Inception - Beware of Spoilers!! - 20/7/2010 3:51:01 PM   
KnightofZyryab

I hate turning up late to the theory party, I missed the discussion !

Anyways, magnificent film. I'm not going to theorise anything new, but I'd speculate the ending symbolism of the spinning top is simply of infinity and is the suggestion that we are still inside Cobb's dream in the same way that the job of the architect is to construct an infinitesimal dreamscape. Perhaps I'm not reading it acccurately, but it appeared to me that way on reflection.

Imminent viewings : The Place Beyond the Pines

Read my blog at: http://alcentrodelaberinto.blogspot.com/

Post #: 130
RE: Inception - Beware of Spoilers!! - 20/7/2010 3:53:05 PM   
hatebox

Question: why didn't Fischer take a pirvate jet? He obviously had the money. I'm not asking to be a smart arse, I just wondered if I missed something..

(in reply to KnightofZyryab)
Post #: 131
RE: Inception - Beware of Spoilers!! - 20/7/2010 4:10:05 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: hatebox

Question: why didn't Fischer take a pirvate jet? He obviously had the money. I'm not asking to be a smart arse, I just wondered if I missed something..

You did, don't worry -its quite a dense film. His private plane broke down, or at least the team ensured that is what happened.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to hatebox)
Post #: 132
RE: Inception - Beware of Spoilers!! - 20/7/2010 5:01:22 PM   
homersimpson_esq

Off to watch it again tonight. I'm going to pay more attention (I thought I paid attention last time!) and see how these theories fit with my viewing, and come back with renewed theories of my own later!

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 133
RE: Inception - Beware of Spoilers!! - 20/7/2010 5:07:23 PM   
Moffmyster

Love the film, and loving some of theories on here - I'm gonna have to go see it again and put some of these theories to the test!
I do have one tiny niggling issue though... why is being trapped in limbo built up to be this horrible fate, possibly worse than death, when all you have to do to escape it is die, much like in a normal dream?? Perhaps I'm missing something here, can anyone shed any light on this for me please?!

"....Now go home and get your f*ckin shinebox!"

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 134
RE: Inception - Beware of Spoilers!! - 20/7/2010 5:29:58 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: Moffmyster

I do have one tiny niggling issue though... why is being trapped in limbo built up to be this horrible fate, possibly worse than death, when all you have to do to escape it is die, much like in a normal dream?? Perhaps I'm missing something here, can anyone shed any light on this for me please?!

Its because you don't know that you are in limbo. Its so far into the subconscious that you can't tell the difference. Saito's assertion that he remembers Cobb from "some half-remembered dream" suggests that Saito is so into his subconscious that that is his "real" world now, and the real-real world is remembered like we remember dreams.

(in reply to Moffmyster)
Post #: 135
RE: Inception - Beware of Spoilers!! - 20/7/2010 5:41:43 PM   
demoncleaner

quote:

quote:

Its because you don't know that you are in limbo. Its so far into the subconscious that you can't tell the difference. Saito's assertion that he remembers Cobb from "some half-remembered dream" suggests that Saito is so into his subconscious that that is his "real" world now, and the real-real world is remembered like we remember dreams.

Yep. It reminds me of something I read once about a man diagnosed with Alzheimers.  He said he would rather kill himself, but wanted to wait it out so he could enjoy as much as was left of his life in a lucid state.  But that he couldn't leave it too long, in case he forgot to do it.  Limbo's not made easy because you have a way out.  It's made difficult because the person there forgets there's a way out, I suppose.

Post #: 136
RE: Inception - Beware of Spoilers!! - 20/7/2010 8:14:52 PM   
Moffmyster

Cheers guys, makes sense  

"....Now go home and get your f*ckin shinebox!"

(in reply to demoncleaner)
Post #: 137
RE: Inception - Beware of Spoilers!! - 20/7/2010 11:13:46 PM   
Sway

I haven't been able to properly process all the theories that are going on in here, but what I find interesting is that the film itself is using the idea of Inception to mess with all our heads in the way we're doing.

I just thought the film played out as straight forward as it appeared to be. That Cobb did wake up and get to return to his kids etc. I told my friend some of the theories on here and he thought the final scene was more of a cheeky "oh,oh" type thing rather than some of the more convoluted ideas being suggested.

However Nolan is a genius in that he's managed to make his film so ambiguous that he's planted this little seed of doubt in our heads that means we're all going to go back and watch that film and see it in a different light following all this.

Nolan himself would therefore appear to be a master of inception!

"I am not in danger, Skyler. I AM the danger! A guy opens his door and gets shot and you think that of me? No. I am the one who knocks!"

(in reply to Moffmyster)
Post #: 138
RE: Inception - Beware of Spoilers!! - 20/7/2010 11:20:20 PM   
Piles

I think Inception was an allegory for internet dating.

Top 100 Moz Songs / Top 100 Films

(in reply to Sway)
Post #: 139
RE: Inception - Beware of Spoilers!! - 20/7/2010 11:32:12 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sway

I haven't been able to properly process all the theories that are going on in here, but what I find interesting is that the film itself is using the idea of Inception to mess with all our heads in the way we're doing.

I just thought the film played out as straight forward as it appeared to be. That Cobb did wake up and get to return to his kids etc. I told my friend some of the theories on here and he thought the final scene was more of a cheeky "oh,oh" type thing rather than some of the more convoluted ideas being suggested.

However Nolan is a genius in that he's managed to make his film so ambiguous that he's planted this little seed of doubt in our heads that means we're all going to go back and watch that film and see it in a different light following all this.

I wouldn't call them convoluted. It is just a matter from what angle you are looking at the film from. I do think there is a very specific statement by Nolan about the filmmaker he is, and how his head works.

But the dream/not dream/who is being incepted can all be sustained by what you see in the film. I don't think Nolan is being playful, it is a statement on movies and what they can do, and how they play on peoples minds.

The ending is meant to be a jumping off of discussion and debate - it is the Inception on the audience that plants the idea of questioning what we have seen before.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Sway)
Post #: 140
RE: Inception - Beware of Spoilers!! - 21/7/2010 12:07:32 AM   
Sway

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

quote:

I wouldn't call them convoluted. It is just a matter from what angle you are looking at the film from. I do think there is a very specific statement by Nolan about the filmmaker he is, and how his head works.

But the dream/not dream/who is being incepted can all be sustained by what you see in the film. I don't think Nolan is being playful, it is a statement on movies and what they can do, and how they play on peoples minds.

The ending is meant to be a jumping off of discussion and debate - it is the Inception on the audience that plants the idea of questioning what we have seen before.

That's exactly what I was saying, or at least I thought that's what the bit in my own post I've highlighted was saying. Nolan has given us enough in the film to make us question it all at the very end.

And personally I do think he's being playful in that respect. Bit of a wry smile at the end.

"I am not in danger, Skyler. I AM the danger! A guy opens his door and gets shot and you think that of me? No. I am the one who knocks!"

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 141
RE: Inception - Beware of Spoilers!! - 21/7/2010 12:16:22 AM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

quote:

quote:

That's exactly what I was saying, or at least I thought that's what the bit in my own post I've highlighted was saying. Nolan has given us enough in the film to make us question it all at the very end.

And personally I do think he's being playful in that respect. Bit of a wry smile at the end.

Sorry - was just backing you up, but also kinda defending why these convoluted theories are out there. And I am guilty of it as well, although I haven't really got any further ideas than the three I posted on the first page.

(in reply to Sway)
Post #: 142
RE: Inception - Beware of Spoilers!! - 21/7/2010 1:11:37 AM   
Rhubarb

I've just been a second time, and first off, what a magnificent film it is. Genuinely, a fantastic achievement.

As for what I think happened - I think the top falls over after the credits roll and Cobb is in the real world. There are the random other bits, the repeated lines of dialogue, the walls that close in, etc, but I think they are red herrings laid by Nolan to make you think there is more to the film than what there is. But I do admire the film so much for being able to stand up on those levels - as clearly it does.

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

ORIGINAL: FritzlFan

You organisational skills sicken me, Rhubarb.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 143
RE: Inception - Beware of Spoilers!! - 21/7/2010 10:00:55 AM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rhubarb

I've just been a second time, and first off, what a magnificent film it is. Genuinely, a fantastic achievement.

As for what I think happened - I think the top falls over after the credits roll and Cobb is in the real world. There are the random other bits, the repeated lines of dialogue, the walls that close in, etc, but I think they are red herrings laid by Nolan to make you think there is more to the film than what there is. But I do admire the film so much for being able to stand up on those levels - as clearly it does.

I think regardless of whether the spinning top falls or not doesn't matter, it is Cobb abandoning it that is important. If we go by the rules of extraction his totem isn't even reliable - his wife had it and Saito spun it - other people had used it.

< Message edited by Rgirvan44 -- 21/7/2010 10:01:22 AM >

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 144
RE: Inception - Beware of Spoilers!! - 21/7/2010 10:40:58 AM   
Sway

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Sorry - was just backing you up, but also kinda defending why these convoluted theories are out there. And I am guilty of it as well, although I haven't really got any further ideas than the three I posted on the first page.

No worries, I didn't mean to sound argumentative either, and I clearly didn't pick my words wisely when I used "convoluted". I was kind of just meaning that I think my friend wants to take the film at face value rather than reading further into possible clues. Not that the theories are convoluted, but just that they require a little more thought than taking the film at face value.

Anyway I think I need to see it again for definite to see whether I still think it plays out straight myself with the final scene being a cheeky wee wink or whether I think the theory about it all being Cobb's dream is possible. I am leaning myself towards it more being a case of Nolan being the ultimate Inceptor and leaving these clues to plant the idea in our minds and to then question everything we've seen... I know this is not why he's done the film, but he's going to be raking in the money from people going to see it two or three times to decide how they think it's actually played out!

Just out of curiosity, and I'm not sure if this has already been mentioned on the review thread but has anybody here seen Shutter Island? If you haven't, please skip the following lines which contain spoilers....

*********SPOILERS ABOUT SHUTTER ISLAND AND INCEPTION ***********

Anybody else draw a parallel between Cobb and Daniels characters/lives? It's obviously a total coincidence but I just found it really interesting that both of Leo's recent characters have had reality perception problems and influential problems with their family lives that have gone onto shape their entire characters. Even more interesting is both final scenes in each film get you questioning what you thought was happening until that point. It's sheer coincidence, so I'm not trying to say anything by it, or infer Inception was influenced by Shutter Island, because that would be impossible, I just think it's a funny little observation. I wonder if it was something Leonardo was aware of himself.

**********End of Spoilers*****************

Anyway, I'm looking forward to watching this again to see if I have a completely different view second time round.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 145
RE: Inception - Beware of Spoilers!! - 21/7/2010 11:48:52 AM   
Rgirvan44

With regard to Shutter Island - I would be interested to know exactly when filming of both movies took place, cause it does make for an interesting double bill.

Also liked the injoke about the song used to raise the alarm and Marion Cotillard. Unless it wasn't an injoke.

(in reply to Sway)
Post #: 146
RE: Inception - Beware of Spoilers!! - 21/7/2010 12:20:01 PM   
MOTH

thinking about Inception this morning, perhaps my brain had melted by the climax, but there seemed some confusion at the end about whether Cobb and Ariadne entered Limbo or yet another dream level from the Snow level to save Fischer.

I might have lapsed in concentration for a moment or two, but it makes more sense to me if there was a 5th level (4th dream - Cobb's) to which Cobb, Ariadne (who both shouldn't have gone to Limbo since they weren't killed) and Fischer (who was presumably not dead since he was revived by Eames) went, wherein Ariadne and Fischer 'kicked' back by falling, whereas Cobb died from being stabbed by Mal and entered Limbo to find Saito.

Leaving aside the possibility of a Level 0 (ie Actual reality), was it clearer than I thought, or was that a bit confused there?

Level 1: Plane (Reality) Kick: none, sedative runs out

Level 2: Van (dreamt by Yusuf) Kick: Van hits water (All go into dream)

Level 3: Hotel (dreamt by Arthur) Kick: Elevator (All except Yusuf go)

Level 4: Snow (dreamt by Eames) Kick: Building explodes (All except Arthur, Yusuf go)

Level 5: Cobb's world (dreamt by Cobb) Kick : Falling (Only Cobb, Ariadne, Fischer go)

Level 6: Limbo (no dream, Saito and Cobb there because they died: Saito in Level 4, Cobb in Level 5) Kick: Death (implied)

I've only gone and set up a blog! This week I've been mostly reviewing The Lego Movie and Wadjda. Click: The Fast Picture Show

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 147
RE: Inception - Beware of Spoilers!! - 21/7/2010 12:47:29 PM   
theieuan

quote:

Love the film, and loving some of theories on here - I'm gonna have to go see it again and put some of these theories to the test!

I think when in limbo you can't tell whether you're in limbo or the real world. I can't remember who said it on here - but they made a valid point comparing this to the condition of Alzheimers.

You know, this place makes me wonder...Which would be worse, to live as a monster or die as a good man?

(in reply to Moffmyster)
Post #: 148
RE: Inception - Beware of Spoilers!! - 21/7/2010 1:44:34 PM   
HIM

Cobb spins the top at the end just to check he's not actually dreaming, so wouldn't this tell him either way when he returns to it? If it's still spinning he'll know he's still dreaming. If not, he'll know it's reality. Does Michael Caine's character acknowledge the top?

(in reply to theieuan)
Post #: 149
RE: Inception - Beware of Spoilers!! - 21/7/2010 2:15:37 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: HIM

Cobb spins the top at the end just to check he's not actually dreaming, so wouldn't this tell him either way when he returns to it? If it's still spinning he'll know he's still dreaming. If not, he'll know it's reality. Does Michael Caine's character acknowledge the top?

Caine had turned away from Cobb when he spins it. Thats something I looked out for especially on second viewing.

(in reply to HIM)
Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: Inception - Beware of Spoilers!! Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI