Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Inception - Beware of Spoilers!!

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: Inception - Beware of Spoilers!! Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Inception - Beware of Spoilers!! - 18/7/2010 11:17:15 PM   
BOHEMIANBOB

quote:

ORIGINAL: juanvasquez

quote:

ORIGINAL: BOHEMIANBOB

The dreamer populates the dream with people to protect the dreamer-how do they not also control the physical design?
How exactly do you place your physical design in another person's dream-i understand the concept of the architect-but how do they do it?

This is what I was trying to ask on the previous page. Only this question is probably more coherent.

Yeah,it was mentioned that the dreamer populates the dream with people to protect the dream-or was that the dreamer-or are they not the one and the same??
How can you populate and protect a dream that really isn't yours if it has been designed by someone else?
Remember the early dream with Page being stabbed.
She was showing designs of the dream to Cobb,yet his people stabbed her-how does this work,when really that was her dream???

Misunderstood.
Don't care.
Have you seen my stolen signature?!

(in reply to juanvasquez)
Post #: 61
RE: Inception - Beware of Spoilers!! - 18/7/2010 11:17:35 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

quote:

The dreamer populates the dream with people to protect the dreamer-how do they not also control the physical design?
How exactly do you place your physical design in another person's dream-i understand the concept of the architect-but how do they do it?

This is what I was trying to ask on the previous page. Only this question is probably more coherent.

Is it not literally all done via the cables that connect all of the dreamers? The architect's plans are merely "beamed" (for want of a better word) into the mind of the dreamer?

(in reply to juanvasquez)
Post #: 62
RE: Inception - Beware of Spoilers!! - 18/7/2010 11:22:55 PM   
BOHEMIANBOB

quote:

ORIGINAL: adambatman82

quote:

quote:

Is it not literally all done via the cables that connect all of the dreamers? The architect's plans are merely "beamed" (for want of a better word) into the mind of the dreamer?

That doesn't work for me.
A dream is like a canvas,the physical environment is the picture-without it,you don't have a dream!
What it means is that the person is dreaming a blank dream,has a scene/setting "beamed-in",and then populates this dream to protect itself,when the brain itself knows these images aren't coming from itself??
Doesn't stack up.

Misunderstood.
Don't care.

(in reply to adambatman82)
Post #: 63
RE: Inception - Beware of Spoilers!! - 18/7/2010 11:25:35 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

A dream is like a canvas,the physical environment is the picture-without it,you don't have a dream!
What it means is that the person is dreaming a blank dream,has a scene/setting "beamed-in",and then populates this dream to protect itself,when the brain itself knows these images aren't coming from itself??
Doesn't stack up.

But thats explained, in the bit were Ariadne manipulates the location and the subconcious turns on her. Thats one of the rules; the architecture of the dream can't be too out there or the brain realises its dreaming.

(in reply to BOHEMIANBOB)
Post #: 64
RE: Inception - Beware of Spoilers!! - 18/7/2010 11:26:27 PM   
adambatman82

Interesting surmisation re- Saito aging in limbo and Cobb not.

Taken from http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Inception-Explained-Unraveling-The-Dream-Within-The-Dream-19615.html

Why is Saito so much older than Cobb in the final dream level?
A: It's likely that Cobb and Saito are in limbo for the same amount of time, however Cobb knows he's in limbo, so perhaps this keeps him from aging visibly. Saito on the other hand seems to have forgotten where he is, and so the passage of time (which could have been decades since time runs faster the deeper you go) has more of an affect on him. Similarly, the first time Cobb and Mal end up in limbo they aged because they've forgotten where they really are and accepted it as their reality.

Due to the metaphysical state of limbo meaning that one ought to not literally age, I can buy this.

< Message edited by adambatman82 -- 18/7/2010 11:27:35 PM >

Post #: 65
RE: Inception - Beware of Spoilers!! - 18/7/2010 11:29:38 PM   
BOHEMIANBOB

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Doesn't stack up.

But thats explained, in the bit were Ariadne manipulates the location and the subconcious turns on her. Thats one of the rules; the architecture of the dream can't be too out there or the brain realises its dreaming.

Yeah,no i got that bit about the rules...
Leo saying don't use things from memory etc..
The carpet,which was genuis by the way,that it was made from a different fabric!
The rules are clear,but still,HOW???
How can the brain suddenly realise a simple little detail is wrong,and not detect a whole physical environment is a figment of someone else's imagination??

Misunderstood.
Don't care.

Post #: 66
RE: Inception - Beware of Spoilers!! - 18/7/2010 11:34:57 PM   
BOHEMIANBOB

quote:

Interesting surmisation re- Saito aging in limbo and Cobb not.

Taken from http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Inception-Explained-Unraveling-The-Dream-Within-The-Dream-19615.html

Why is Saito so much older than Cobb in the final dream level?
A: It's likely that Cobb and Saito are in limbo for the same amount of time, however Cobb knows he's in limbo, so perhaps this keeps him from aging visibly. Saito on the other hand seems to have forgotten where he is, and so the passage of time (which could have been decades since time runs faster the deeper you go) has more of an affect on him. Similarly, the first time Cobb and Mal end up in limbo they aged because they've forgotten where they really are and accepted it as their reality.

Due to the metaphysical state of limbo meaning that one ought to not literally age, I can buy this.

Question on this!
Why does Saito not wake up when he "dies" in the snow scene?
I understand the rule that if he dies in the car in the original shooting in the original dream,he's fecked due to the sedation-he cannot wake up.
But he reappears in the second dream in the hotel to move into the third dream in snow scene-was it heavy sedation in a dream(not possible) but why did he not wake up i the hotel when he dies in the snow?
Back to the point,i think the explained time difference in Limbo,and Saito being there longer accounted for his older age.

Misunderstood.
Don't care.

Post #: 67
RE: Inception - Beware of Spoilers!! - 18/7/2010 11:37:55 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

How can the brain suddenly realise a simple little detail is wrong,and not detect a whole physical environment is a figment of someone else's imagination??

Wow man, talk about asking the big questions! In all honesty I don't have a clue. Suspension of disbelief is my only suggestion.

< Message edited by adambatman82 -- 18/7/2010 11:38:16 PM >

Post #: 68
RE: Inception - Beware of Spoilers!! - 19/7/2010 12:15:44 AM   
Judge

Michael Caine: reunting children with their fathers in the final scenes of Christopher Nolan films since 2006.

Post #: 69
RE: Inception - Beware of Spoilers!! - 19/7/2010 12:20:25 AM   
captainrentboy

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yeah,it was mentioned that the dreamer populates the dream with people to protect the dream-or was that the dreamer-or are they not the one and the same?
How can you populate and protect a dream that really isn't yours if it has been designed by someone else?
She was showing designs of the dream to Cobb,yet his people stabbed her-how does this work,when really that was her dream???

As I understood it, even though a particular layer of the overall dream was 'controlled' by a designated dreamer, i:e The first layer of the heist in the rainy city was the chemist's dream. The other people's sub-consciousness could still bring in constructs, in Cillian Murphy's case his uncle and the gun carrying goons, but they couldn't change the physical layout to the degree that the designated dreamer could, as he was the only one who could 'remember' the exact lay out from talking to the architect in the real world.

Post #: 70
RE: Inception - Beware of Spoilers!! - 19/7/2010 1:24:02 AM   
BOHEMIANBOB

quote:

ORIGINAL: captainrentboy

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yeah,it was mentioned that the dreamer populates the dream with people to protect the dream-or was that the dreamer-or are they not the one and the same?

As I understood it, even though a particular layer of the overall dream was 'controlled' by a designated dreamer, i:e The first layer of the heist in the rainy city was the chemist's dream. The other people's sub-consciousness could still bring in constructs, in Cillian Murphy's case his uncle and the gun carrying goons, but they couldn't change the physical layout to the degree that the designated dreamer could, as he was the only one who could 'remember' the exact lay out from talking to the architect in the real world.

Problem with that is that Leo's character was very specific in saying to NOT tell him the specific layout-this point i also didn't understand-outside of his own inner struggle that his dead wife may invade his subconscious and screw things up-why wouldn't you want to know??
Also,when the non-dreamer brings in constructs,then the game is up,is it not?The brain has twigged the hoax?

Misunderstood.
Don't care.

(in reply to captainrentboy)
Post #: 71
RE: Inception - Beware of Spoilers!! - 19/7/2010 1:24:42 AM   
BOHEMIANBOB

quote:

ORIGINAL: Judge

Michael Caine: reunting children with their fathers in the final scenes of Christopher Nolan films since 2006.

And doing it better than anyone else

Misunderstood.
Don't care.

(in reply to Judge)
Post #: 72
RE: Inception - Beware of Spoilers!! - 19/7/2010 1:26:42 AM   
BOHEMIANBOB

quote:

quote:

Wow man, talk about asking the big questions! In all honesty I don't have a clue. Suspension of disbelief is my only suggestion.

There has to be a better explanation than that(not having a go or being smart!).
This film is like someone handing you a bag of jigsaw pieces without a picture!

Misunderstood.
Don't care.

Post #: 73
RE: Inception - Beware of Spoilers!! - 19/7/2010 8:03:19 AM   
Keyser Sozzled

Bob, I suppose you have to decide whether any answer would suffice and if there is no exact asnwer or an answer you don't accept, does it affect your view or enoyment of the film.

I have been thinking about it nonstop since Saturday (it's one of thiose one's!) and I have a couple of issues with it, however nothing that stops me from being utterly fascinated by it.

The issue of Cobb being on the run seems on face value a bit duff. Saito makes 1 call and sorts it out?...Not having it. Which makes me think that it was not real and that we were not watching the inception but the result of a previous inception.

Which would make it a dream within a dream within a dream within a dream.

I am going to lie down.............

I have no idea who any of them are, apart from Terry Pratchett who I know has got a beard and keeps going on about killing himself but never does.

Post #: 74
RE: Inception - Beware of Spoilers!! - 19/7/2010 8:41:20 AM   
BOHEMIANBOB

quote:

ORIGINAL: Keyser Sozzled

Bob, I suppose you have to decide whether any answer would suffice and if there is no exact asnwer or an answer you don't accept, does it affect your view or enoyment of the film.

I have been thinking about it nonstop since Saturday (it's one of thiose one's!) and I have a couple of issues with it, however nothing that stops me from being utterly fascinated by it.

The issue of Cobb being on the run seems on face value a bit duff. Saito makes 1 call and sorts it out?...Not having it. Which makes me think that it was not real and that we were not watching the inception but the result of a previous inception.

Which would make it a dream within a dream within a dream within a dream.

I am going to lie down.............

I agree there may not be a sufficient answer to any of the questions i have!I also accept that even some of the theories i don't agree with,have merit.
None of this however spoils my enjoyment of the film,or my huge admiration for what Nolan has tried here.
As for the analysis itself,you could end up with serious brain meltdown.
At one point,Page and Leo are in 5 different scenarios at the same time!!!Limbo,the snow,the elevator,the van and the plane!!!

Misunderstood.
Don't care.

(in reply to Keyser Sozzled)
Post #: 75
RE: Inception - Beware of Spoilers!! - 19/7/2010 8:52:13 AM   
Keyser Sozzled

Exactly. And if you believe that there was actually an earlier Inception there would be six !

Or they coull all be constructs of Cobb's mind if there was an earlier Inception.

I have no idea who any of them are, apart from Terry Pratchett who I know has got a beard and keeps going on about killing himself but never does.

Post #: 76
RE: Inception - Beware of Spoilers!! - 19/7/2010 9:26:23 AM   
BOHEMIANBOB

quote:

ORIGINAL: Keyser Sozzled

Exactly. And if you believe that there was actually an earlier Inception there would be six !

Or they coull all be constructs of Cobb's mind if there was an earlier Inception.

I'm trying to avoid that particular theory for the sake of my sanity

Misunderstood.
Don't care.

Post #: 77
RE: Inception - Beware of Spoilers!! - 19/7/2010 9:30:59 AM   
tftrman

Some scenes do suggest that for a large part of the film that the story is playing out as it should - if it were Cobb's inception why would we have the scenes between Murphy and Hardy on the edge of the river where Fischer says he's going to be his own man and then the scene with Gordon-Levitt and Page talking about Cobb still being in the dream. Admittedly, the ending does suggest a dream is taking place, although I do so want to believe he's got back to his kids after everything.

Post #: 78
RE: Inception - Beware of Spoilers!! - 19/7/2010 9:34:59 AM   
BOHEMIANBOB

quote:

ORIGINAL: tftrman

Some scenes do suggest that for a large part of the film that the story is playing out as it should - if it were Cobb's inception why would we have the scenes between Murphy and Hardy on the edge of the river where Fischer says he's going to be his own man and then the scene with Gordon-Levitt and Page talking about Cobb still being in the dream. Admittedly, the ending does suggest a dream is taking place, although I do so want to believe he's got back to his kids after everything.

But the ending could be just Nolan taking the proverbial pee out of what has gone on before-and it doesn't really mean anything??
Cobb was just placing it on the table!If anything,could we not take from that that he was finally finished with the whole Inception,extraction and dreams etc?
He had,as he wanted, "come home"?

Misunderstood.
Don't care.

(in reply to tftrman)
Post #: 79
RE: Inception - Beware of Spoilers!! - 19/7/2010 9:35:14 AM   
ace14

It is a great film, that I think will get better with repeated viewings.

Couple things that are bugging me though which I will throw out there so that they are no longer crushing my brain, cos as my old Nan said 'A problem shared is a problem halved'

1) Cobb's totem wasn't actually his it was Mal's, so what does this mean...if anything?

2) When Cobb and Mal are waking from their sub-concious world they are in their house which features at the end, but it took three dreams for Cobb to reach there in order to plant the inception. So when awaking from their sub-concious world they are still in a dream and this is where Cobb ends up at the end of the film...isn't it?

3) If Cobb never came out of the Van cause he was too deep into his sub-concious dream, is he stuck in limbo or dead...or both?

4) Did Fischer's 'inception' work...or doesn't this matter?

5) I counted at least three occasions people saying to Cobb 'wake up' or 'get real' the most obvious was Michael Caine saying 'come back to the real world' is this literal or a figure of speech?

I bet Chris Nolan scours the internet reading forums like this chuckling, the bastard.

The Dredd thread is sucking my will to live

My therapist says I have a preoccupation with vengeance. We'll see about that

Post #: 80
RE: Inception - Beware of Spoilers!! - 19/7/2010 9:47:43 AM   
Rob

Absolutely mesmeric. It's a masterpiece and I wouldn't say that is hyperbole at all. I find it quite strange that some critics have given it 20 or 40 on metacritic. I appreciate that it's not going to be everyone's cup of tea but those scores just smack of being contrary.

I love some of the theories that have been posted here. My immediate reaction to the film was that it played out exactly as we saw on film but then I started to remember coming into scenes very late, the wall in Mombasa and other things that can certainly point you in other directions. And that is the absolute brilliance of this film; you can analyse and enjoy on so many levels and really make your own conclusions. For me the most satisfying outcome would be the "reality" that we are presented with ie. Cobb makes it home and the team and adventures were real.

Surely this now puts an end to the debate of Nolan being a visionary or auteur?... Actually I think we all know that it won't!

Same thing happened to me when I played Neil Armstrong in Moonshot. They found me in an alley in Burbank trying to re-enter the earth's atmosphere in an old refrigerator box.

(in reply to ace14)
Post #: 81
RE: Inception - Beware of Spoilers!! - 19/7/2010 9:52:50 AM   
captainrentboy

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Problem with that is that Leo's character was very specific in saying to NOT tell him the specific layout-this point i also didn't understand-outside of his own inner struggle that his dead wife may invade his subconscious and screw things up-why wouldn't you want to know??
Also,when the non-dreamer brings in constructs,then the game is up,is it not?The brain has twigged the hoax?

I thought that inadvertently other folk's sub-conscious could quite easily bring a construct in with them and populate that dream layer as they want, it was only if they became too aware they were dreaming or aware that their mind was in trouble that those constructs they made would then turn on whoever the dreamer was.
Hence Cillian Murphy's uncle turning up in one layer, (Not the version Eames was acting as) and them being able to use it as a tool in Murphy's inception.
God damn I need to see it again to iron out these problems

Edit- And was that wall in Mombassa actually closing in, or was it just an illusion, and it was just naturally becoming more narrow as Leo got to the other end? i'm not bloody sure!

< Message edited by captainrentboy -- 19/7/2010 9:56:11 AM >

Post #: 82
RE: Inception - Beware of Spoilers!! - 19/7/2010 10:02:56 AM   
gordonsalive

quote:

ORIGINAL: ace14

It is a great film, that I think will get better with repeated viewings.

I bet Chris Nolan scours the internet reading forums like this chuckling, the bastard.

Yep and it feels as though he's done an Inception on me

I don't think i've ever thought about a film this much well, ever, and for that I will always be truely greatful to Nolan, great stuff!

As to thought's?  Well I too am a simple soul and my heart wants to go with the literal of what we saw and that everybody woke on the plane into the real world, the Inception worked and Saito made the call that put Cobb's life right.

But then there are a few things that have left my nugget a little frazzled and don't sit quite right.

There's even a little theory going around my head wondering if it wasn't all the 'inception' from the very start, they were never in the real world until they woke on the plane at the end.  The inception was on Saito to literally get him to make that call to fix Cobb's life.

I mean, Saito watched Cobb fail trying to do an extraction on himself, then asked Cobb to try an inception which is even more difficult.  Why ask him when he thought he wasn't that good? Unless Cobb had already planted the idea that he could pull off an inception because he had with Mal.

Anyway not too sure about that one but loving reading all the theories!

A wonderous film and can't wait to visit it again!

'You musn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling.'

(in reply to ace14)
Post #: 83
RE: Inception - Beware of Spoilers!! - 19/7/2010 10:04:25 AM   
adambatman82

quote:

Edit- And was that wall in Mombassa actually closing in, or was it just an illusion, and it was just naturally becoming more narrow as Leo got to the other end? i'm not bloody sure!

Interesting point. I just assumed it was part of the architecture of Mombassa, alas you may be on to their something. We don't see the building move at all tho, but I do like that idea.

(in reply to captainrentboy)
Post #: 84
RE: Inception - Beware of Spoilers!! - 19/7/2010 10:50:41 AM   
Rob

quote:

quote:

Interesting point. I just assumed it was part of the architecture of Mombassa, alas you may be on to their something. We don't see the building move at all tho, but I do like that idea.

And that's the brilliance of it all. If you want to believe that it was just the architecture then that theory works, if you want to believe it's further evidence of it being a dream then that works as well. I haven't been this impressed by a film in a long long time.

Same thing happened to me when I played Neil Armstrong in Moonshot. They found me in an alley in Burbank trying to re-enter the earth's atmosphere in an old refrigerator box.

Post #: 85
RE: Inception - Beware of Spoilers!! - 19/7/2010 11:17:10 AM   
tftrman

Another thing....Did anyone know notice how Saito and Mal had some of the same lines throughout the film, the one that springs to mind is at the start in the helicopter, Saito asks Cobb to make a leap of faith, just like Mal does on the balcony - what does it mean? Personally, I haven't got a clue at the moment but it's enjoyable thinking about these things! I need to watch this again.

(in reply to Rob)
Post #: 86
RE: Inception - Beware of Spoilers!! - 19/7/2010 11:26:56 AM   
Rob

Yeah I noticed that and originally assumed it was a motif. However, once again if you assume that it's all a dream it lends further credibility to that scenario and that if Cobb is the target of the inception then maybe the idea is for him to take a leap of faith like Mal.

(in reply to tftrman)
Post #: 87
RE: Inception - Beware of Spoilers!! - 19/7/2010 11:30:00 AM   
hatebox

quote:

ORIGINAL: gordonsalive
I mean, Saito watched Cobb fail trying to do an extraction on himself, then asked Cobb to try an inception which is even more difficult.  Why ask him when he thought he wasn't that good? Unless Cobb had already planted the idea that he could pull off an inception because he had with Mal.

Yes, I wondered about that too - why would he hire Cobb after all if he just failed the 'audition'? Assuming those scenes were real of course.

(in reply to gordonsalive)
Post #: 88
RE: Inception - Beware of Spoilers!! - 19/7/2010 11:37:25 AM   
gordonsalive

An interesting interview with Dileep Rao.  He says it's only his take on it but it will nail a few theories on the head if you choose to go with him.
http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2010/07/inceptions_dileep_rao_answers.html

'You musn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling.'

(in reply to hatebox)
Post #: 89
RE: Inception - Beware of Spoilers!! - 19/7/2010 11:53:17 AM   
Rob

Good article and a really articulate synopsis from Rao. However, although I'm firmly in agreement with his take on the film there is easily enough evidence to go another way entirely.

(in reply to gordonsalive)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: Inception - Beware of Spoilers!! Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI