Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Does Match of the Day need a revamp

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: Does Match of the Day need a revamp Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4] 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Does Match of the Day need a revamp - 20/8/2012 12:46:24 AM   
directorscut

Oscar? Will they be signing Felix too? Now that would be an odd couple.

WHERE'S MY CHECK BBC?

< Message edited by directorscut -- 20/8/2012 12:47:49 AM >

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to Qwerty Norris)
Post #: 91
RE: Does Match of the Day need a revamp - 21/8/2012 2:47:57 PM   
erasheha1985

Well I suppose we can all look forward to Harry making his debut. I can already guess his most often used statement will be 'e's a a great player, I tried to sign him once' really can't wait to hear Harry making Jamie look insightful.

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 92
RE: Does Match of the Day need a revamp - 10/10/2012 5:05:10 PM   
Professor Moriarty

I hope everyone else has written to Venky's telling them what an excellent appointment Alan Shearer would be, just to try to shift him from the MotD couch. (Even if it only would be to the end of the season).

Next Lawro to Bolton!!!

(in reply to erasheha1985)
Post #: 93
RE: Does Match of the Day need a revamp - 10/10/2012 5:11:08 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

ORIGINAL: Professor Moriarty

I hope everyone else has written to Venky's telling them what an excellent appointment Alan Shearer would be, just to try to shift him from the MotD couch. (Even if it only would be to the end of the season).

Next Lawro to Bolton!!!

Got there Address?

(in reply to Professor Moriarty)
Post #: 94
RE: Does Match of the Day need a revamp - 10/10/2012 5:21:15 PM   
Professor Moriarty

quote:

ORIGINAL: OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

Next Lawro to Bolton!!!

Got there Address?

I'm actually half hoping that they go with Roy Keane just so in a couple of months time it will be easy for Rovers supporters to change their banners to KeaneOut

< Message edited by Professor Moriarty -- 10/10/2012 5:22:49 PM >

(in reply to OPEN YOUR EYES)
Post #: 95
RE: Does Match of the Day need a revamp - 10/10/2012 6:47:10 PM   
Keyser Sozzled

Shearer for Blackburn with Garth Crooks as his number 2.

THE DREAM TEAM.

I have no idea who any of them are, apart from Terry Pratchett who I know has got a beard and keeps going on about killing himself but never does.

Post #: 96
RE: Does Match of the Day need a revamp - 24/11/2012 10:48:03 PM   
directorscut

There is no emoticon on the web to accurately convey the hilarity of that thing on Michael Owen's face.

(in reply to Keyser Sozzled)
Post #: 97
RE: Does Match of the Day need a revamp - 24/11/2012 11:00:32 PM   
Olaf

quote:

ORIGINAL: directorscut

There is no emoticon on the web to accurately convey the hilarity of that thing on Michael Owen's face.

He makes me wish November would never end. same goes for Paul Merson.

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

Empire Top 100 Albums Poll 2013: CLICK HERE

Post #: 98
RE: Does Match of the Day need a revamp - 24/11/2012 11:28:35 PM   
directorscut

Baines looks like he's come off the Let it Be cover.

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 99
RE: Does Match of the Day need a revamp - 25/11/2012 1:00:37 PM   
Nexus Wookie

Ha ha! Loving Owen's tache!

My blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

Post #: 100
RE: Does Match of the Day need a revamp - 30/12/2012 11:09:21 PM   
directorscut

Pat Nevin giving Alan Shearer a free lesson on football analysis on MOTD2.

(in reply to Nexus Wookie)
Post #: 101
RE: Does Match of the Day need a revamp - 31/12/2012 12:14:04 AM   
horribleives

quote:

ORIGINAL: directorscut

Pat Nevin giving Alan Shearer a free lesson on football analysis on MOTD2.

His record collection pisses all over Big Al's too.

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

Post #: 102
RE: Does Match of the Day need a revamp - 21/1/2013 11:56:18 PM   
James2183

Well we wanted change.

Murray to be replaced by Chappers

Hansen and co don't like the fact Murray gave opinions. They want Chappers to ask more questions to them.

It's Hansen they need shipping out. It's just going to mean more time for "grit and desire" shite from the useless pundit.

Hey bub, I aint finished with you yet!

"We do not beat the reaper by living longer. We beat the reaper by living well and living fully" - Randy Pausch

(in reply to horribleives)
Post #: 103
RE: Does Match of the Day need a revamp - 22/1/2013 8:44:10 AM   
jonson

That's fucking shocking to be honest. I like Mark Chapman, don't get me wrong, but Colin Murray is the perfect late night Sunday host on MOTD2, and hilarious on Radio 5.

This:-

Alan Hansen sneeringly told Murray on one occasion that he should leave the negative comments to the experts.

has properly fucked me off.
I think the MOTD crew are 10 years past their sell by date now. I'm the most biased Lineker worshipper on the planet, but with him, Lawrenson, Hansen and Shearer, they make the worst football pundit team on the TV by a mile.
I've watched football since the 70's, and while I'm no expert, I like to think I know a bit about the game. I often listen to Pat Nevin, Gary Neville and a few others (even Robbie "God" Savage) and learn something new, and realise that I know fuck all about football. That's what I want, in-depth knowledge without being patronised.

I just wonder what goes on at the BBC sometimes.

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

(in reply to James2183)
Post #: 104
RE: Does Match of the Day need a revamp - 22/1/2013 9:33:16 AM   
Professor Moriarty

I very rarely watch MotD 2 as I've usually seen / heard the games on Sunday, or at least followed the MBM coverage. So, I've never really seen Murray and this will have very little effect on me. But I do remember that his predecessor the all round annoying blob that is Adrian Chiles used to voice (IMO) the weirdest most knee-jerk unknowing opinions (I understand he may still do this on ITV but I've managed to tune him out now).

Hansen is a tit. I remember many years ago when I first noticed that his job title of senior analyst had been added I found it hilariously funny. If he watches 10 minutes of Neville he should be deeply ashamed of himself, but I think the couch collective is too smug to ever do that.

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 105
RE: Does Match of the Day need a revamp - 22/1/2013 10:04:55 AM   
garvielloken

Is there some sort of rights issue that prevents Sky Sports from doing a proper 2 hour highlight show on Saturday nights with Gary Neville? I'm guessing that since Sky have rights for live games they have to leave other channels show highlights. I know Neville gets to do analysis on MNF and Super Sunday but I'd love to see him do a full MOTD type thing.

Exactly six miles north of Skagg Mountain in the Valley of Pain, there lives an evil devilmonster. His name is Bingo Gas Station Motel Cheeseburger With A Side Of Aircraft Noise And You'll Be Gary Indiana.

Razzle them, dazzle them. Razzle dazzle them.

Post #: 106
RE: Does Match of the Day need a revamp - 22/1/2013 10:08:25 AM   
Professor Moriarty

Yes there is. I think its kind of complicated and is why the repeat of MotD is on so early on Sunday as BBC have the rights up to 10AM the next day or something funny.

(in reply to garvielloken)
Post #: 107
RE: Does Match of the Day need a revamp - 22/1/2013 11:50:03 AM   
Harry Tuttle

That comes as no surprise to me. Hansen is one of the most self important cunts on telly which is pretty rich considering he hasn't said anything worth listening to in a decade and a half. I started recording MotD on Sky+ a good while back and tend to fast forward the analysis these days. Nobody can make a game of football sound more uniteresting than Shearer (although Schmeichel does run him close) and Hansen and Lawrenson should have been put out to pasture at the turn of the millenium. They also got rid of Dixon, who was the only one with anything of note to say, so fuck MotD as far as I'm concerned.

< Message edited by Harry Tuttle -- 22/1/2013 11:51:22 AM >

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

Post #: 108
RE: Does Match of the Day need a revamp - 22/1/2013 11:58:12 AM   
garvielloken

The over use of the word sensational is what boils my piss. Someone needs to give Shearer and Hansen a thesaurus for their birthday.

Exactly six miles north of Skagg Mountain in the Valley of Pain, there lives an evil devilmonster. His name is Bingo Gas Station Motel Cheeseburger With A Side Of Aircraft Noise And You'll Be Gary Indiana.

Razzle them, dazzle them. Razzle dazzle them.

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 109
RE: Does Match of the Day need a revamp - 22/1/2013 2:37:56 PM   
James2183

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harry Tuttle

That comes as no surprise to me. Hansen is one of the most self important cunts on telly which is pretty rich considering he hasn't said anything worth listening to in a decade and a half. I started recording MotD on Sky+ a good while back and tend to fast forward the analysis these days. Nobody can make a game of football sound more uniteresting than Shearer (although Schmeichel does run him close) and Hansen and Lawrenson should have been put out to pasture at the turn of the millenium. They also got rid of Dixon, who was the only one with anything of note to say, so fuck MotD as far as I'm concerned.

They didn't get rid of Dixon. He quit as he was told to take a pay cut whilst Hansen got a pay rise

"We do not beat the reaper by living longer. We beat the reaper by living well and living fully" - Randy Pausch

Post #: 110
RE: Does Match of the Day need a revamp - 22/1/2013 3:08:15 PM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

ORIGINAL: James2183

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harry Tuttle

They didn't get rid of Dixon. He quit as he was told to take a pay cut whilst Hansen got a pay rise

That's as good as forcing him out really though isn't it?

I wonder if the BBC are aware of the level of vitriol directed towards Hansens "punditry" these days. I used to like him back in the mid 90's but he became a parody of himself by the end of that decade. I honestly haven't come across anyone who rates him, at all, in a good while so it surprises me that he's not only been getting payrises but is also able to call the shots.

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to James2183)
Post #: 111
RE: Does Match of the Day need a revamp - 22/1/2013 3:18:33 PM   
Professor Moriarty

I thought Hansen had also taken a cut from his 1.5M a year salary *gulp*

I mean seriously, we might all think that some footballers are overpaid, but at least they put in a jog every week (well most of them). I swear that Hansen doesn't even watch most of the games he offers an opinion on.

I know he's most famous for his "you can't win anything with kids" moment. But surely his most embarassing was predicting that England would beat Germany, mainly based on the fact that he knew nothing of any of the incredibly talented German team, because he never saw a game outside the PL. Shocking Alan, shocking!

EDIT: Although I've always suspected that Shearer doesn't actually get paid and just turns up every week as he has nothing else on at the weekend.

< Message edited by Professor Moriarty -- 22/1/2013 3:21:46 PM >

Post #: 112
RE: Does Match of the Day need a revamp - 22/1/2013 3:44:37 PM   
James2183

The only shining lights are Neville and Dixon. When you think Hansen is paid 40,000 an episode you would think he would actually do some work to do his job. I remember when Dixon had said he had done some research during the world cup and the rest of the panel made fun of him. They come across as people who think they deserve to be there rather than seeing it as a position to actually do some decent work.

But to be honest commentary and punditry in the country is awful overall.

For some reason Sky think it's a good idea to have Niall Quinn commentating on games. Which results in me watching the game on mute. I'd much rather listen to fanzone than his incessant droning.

Martin Tyler seems to have let his colours be known too. I know he hates United, but at least try and act impartial these days.

Post #: 113
RE: Does Match of the Day need a revamp - 22/1/2013 4:21:08 PM   
jonson

The SKY commentator on the non-Premiership games is Don Goodman. He is absolutely rubbish, has nothing of note to say, doesn't watch the game, and more annoyingly, he seems to have it in for Leicester every time they are on, which incidentally is why I dislike him so much
On Friday night's game he said something along the lines of "Middlesborough deserve something out of this game" despite Schmeichel barely making a save and Leicester hitting the post/crossbar 3 times!
Nob.

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

(in reply to James2183)
Post #: 114
RE: Does Match of the Day need a revamp - 22/1/2013 10:13:48 PM   
directorscut

Good riddance. Murray is an annoying little twerp. I wanted Pat Nevin to ram those glasses down his throat after his condescending bollox to Nevin's explanation of the Caulker/Rooney incident.

Chapman is hardly Bill O'Herlihy but he's an improvement.

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 115
RE: Does Match of the Day need a revamp - 22/1/2013 10:23:36 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

Just show Highlights.
Its not as if the analysis is worth listening to/watching.

Post #: 116
RE: Does Match of the Day need a revamp - 23/1/2013 9:03:45 AM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

The only shining lights are Neville and Dixon. When you think Hansen is paid 40,000 an episode you would think he would actually do some work to do his job. I remember when Dixon had said he had done some research during the world cup and the rest of the panel made fun of him. They come across as people who think they deserve to be there rather than seeing it as a position to actually do some decent work.

For some reason Sky think it's a good idea to have Niall Quinn commentating on games. Which results in me watching the game on mute. I'd much rather listen to fanzone than his incessant droning.

Martin Tyler seems to have let his colours be known too. I know he hates United, but at least try and act impartial these days.

I quite liked Dixon when he was MOTD, i'd rather listen to him than Alan 'abysmal' Hansen. And you're right, Tyler is a twat.

(in reply to James2183)
Post #: 117
RE: Does Match of the Day need a revamp - 23/1/2013 9:05:42 AM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

I thought Hansen had also taken a cut from his 1.5M a year salary *gulp*

I mean seriously, we might all think that some footballers are overpaid, but at least they put in a jog every week (well most of them). I swear that Hansen doesn't even watch most of the games he offers an opinion on.

I know he's most famous for his "you can't win anything with kids" moment. But surely his most embarassing was predicting that England would beat Germany, mainly based on the fact that he knew nothing of any of the incredibly talented German team, because he never saw a game outside the PL. Shocking Alan, shocking!

EDIT: Although I've always suspected that Shearer doesn't actually get paid and just turns up every week as he has nothing else on at the weekend.

Yep. I'd forgotten to add him in the mix too!

< Message edited by Nexus Wookie -- 23/1/2013 9:06:31 AM >

Post #: 118
RE: Does Match of the Day need a revamp - 23/1/2013 9:34:56 AM   
Professor Moriarty

My very unstereotyped view of the MotD studio goes something like this:

"Way ay Alan. What ya up to mate? Its funny that innit. I'm Alan and you are Alan and we both play football. No wonder we are besties. Want a newkie brown, Alan? I'm knackered I've been creosoting fence all afternoon."

"Would you not be minding your elbows when you sit down Shearer. And none of your beer pish. I'm drinking whiskey and neat, without ice." AH sees Colin Murray and stands up aggressively. "What did you say Murray? What the fuck did you say ya wee scrote? See me, cos I see you Jimmy. Come over here again and I'll give you a Glasgow Kiss. See me, I've got scars I have. I'm well hard".

(Lawro comes in) "Eh. Calm down, calm down Alan. Ah, are we watching football lads? You'll never guess what I found out today. That West Brom, they are only in the Premiership, who'd have thunk that, eh?"

(Gary comes in) "Anyone want a taste of my prawn cocktail?"

(Hansen and Lawro holding their noses, with Shearer trying to join in) "Poooohie. Gary smells of pooh. Eh, Gary, did ya shit yourself again or summet?"

Post #: 119
RE: Does Match of the Day need a revamp - 23/1/2013 9:39:49 AM   
Olaf

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nexus Wookie

quote:

I quite liked Dixon when he was MOTD, i'd rather listen to him than Alan 'abysmal' Hansen. And you're right, Tyler is a twat.

Hating on Martin Tyler, whaaa. Name me a more iconic commentary voice (other than George Hamilton).

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

Empire Top 100 Albums Poll 2013: CLICK HERE

Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4] 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: Does Match of the Day need a revamp Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4] 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI