Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Does Match of the Day need a revamp

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: Does Match of the Day need a revamp Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Does Match of the Day need a revamp - 18/8/2010 5:12:44 PM   
jcthefirst

quote:

ORIGINAL: jonson
I'd have Robbie Savage and Jonathan Pearce on the sofa every week.

Me too.

And then burn the sofa.

@Jonny_C85

My Movie Blog | My Other Various Rantings Blog

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 31
RE: Does Match of the Day need a revamp - 20/8/2010 1:57:46 PM   
Toby Monroe

It's all Chris Evan's fault. He got Gazza booted out of the '98 WC squad and he ruined MOTD. Some body should kick his head in.

Fit or Fugly score: 3/10

(in reply to jcthefirst)
Post #: 32
RE: Does Match of the Day need a revamp - 27/8/2010 5:05:19 PM   
Rinc

The biggest question facing MOTD at the moment is whether it will make the forum's top 100 tv shows this year.

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:
[ color=#F1F1F1 ]text[ /color ]

(in reply to Toby Monroe)
Post #: 33
RE: Does Match of the Day need a revamp - 30/10/2011 10:35:12 AM   
James2183

I thought I would bump this as it's just be revealed that Alan Hansen gets paid £40,000 an episode for his 'insight' and 'punditry' on MotD.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/bbc/8857621/Hansen-scores-1.5-million-a-year-...-even-on-the-bench.html

Shocking considering how much he adds to the show

Hey bub, I aint finished with you yet!

"We do not beat the reaper by living longer. We beat the reaper by living well and living fully" - Randy Pausch

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 34
RE: Does Match of the Day need a revamp - 30/10/2011 11:06:42 AM   
matty_b

Did anyone watch last night's?

I'm sure at one point it cut away to an advert for MotD2 and it sounded like there was interference during the audio, like how a mobile phone will interfere with a signal, then when it cut back to the studio it did look like Gary Lineker was fiddling with something in his pocket.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to James2183)
Post #: 35
RE: Does Match of the Day need a revamp - 30/10/2011 10:33:41 PM   
directorscut

There is an inordinate amount of padding on tonight's MOTD2.

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 36
RE: Does Match of the Day need a revamp - 31/10/2011 8:21:04 AM   
jonson

quote:

ORIGINAL: James2183

I thought I would bump this as it's just be revealed that Alan Hansen gets paid £40,000 an episode for his 'insight' and 'punditry' on MotD.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/bbc/8857621/Hansen-scores-1.5-million-a-year-...-even-on-the-bench.html

Shocking considering how much he adds to the show

Fucking hell!!! You'd think he'd be able to afford wrinkle cream for his neck then.
That's extrotionate for someone who really is a bit of a cunt. Him and "Lawro" are really pushing it on that programme now, rarely witty, very monotonous and not really up to date anymore. The MOTD2 programme has more of a heartbeat now.

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

(in reply to James2183)
Post #: 37
RE: Does Match of the Day need a revamp - 31/10/2011 9:02:22 AM   
MOTH

caught about 5 mins 'analysis' on Sunday morning repeat of MOTD, had to turn over to more intelligent fare on teh cBeebies channel.

Rarely watch it nowadays, RTE do a superior round up show, which features longer, but more in-depth, analysis from a reliable crew including, amongt others, Trevor Steven, Ronnie Whelan, Liam Brady and Kenny Cunningham (whose balding pattern remains a thing of wonder). Plus it's on at a much better time of 8.00pm.

I've only gone and set up a blog! This week I've been mostly reviewing The Lego Movie and Wadjda. Click: The Fast Picture Show

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 38
RE: Does Match of the Day need a revamp - 1/11/2011 2:44:53 PM   
Your Funny Uncle

quote:

The new look MOTD launches this Saturday at 10.30pm on BBC One and now in High Definition on BBC One HD.

From MOTD's Facebook Page.

I doubt that means a change in pundits though

Empires Top 100 Movie Characters of All Time! - VOTE NOW by clicking HERE

(in reply to MOTH)
Post #: 39
RE: Does Match of the Day need a revamp - 1/11/2011 3:10:14 PM   
horribleives

I think Shearer's improved a bit this season (well, he doesn't talk quite as much shite as he used to) but Hansen and Lawrensen haven't got a fucking clue. Dixon, Keown and even Robbie Savage make them look like the tired old know-nothings they are.
As discussed on the Toon thread, Gary Neville is streets ahead of any of the BBC mob in terms of knowledge and understanding of the modern game.

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to Your Funny Uncle)
Post #: 40
RE: Does Match of the Day need a revamp - 1/11/2011 4:25:16 PM   
Piles

Lawrenson is obviously a tool but I've got a lot of time for Hanson. He may be a bit arrogant and his vocabulary is poor (lol) but I tend to agree with most of the things he says. Shearer is improving week by week. Robbie Savage is a fucking dick. I've only seen Gary Neville doing any TV stuff once, on Sky, and that was the most cringe-worthy football programme I've ever seen.

MOTD is fine for me. I tend to watch it more for the highlights than the punditry to be honest, but most of the time I semi-agree with what most of them are saying. The one really annoying thing is the high proportion of times that Wolves are given 2 mins at the end. I mean, seriously? It happens every other week... we are 10 times as interesting as Bolton, Wigan, Blackburn, and the like.

Top 100 Moz Songs / Top 100 Films

(in reply to horribleives)
Post #: 41
RE: Does Match of the Day need a revamp - 1/11/2011 4:41:37 PM   
jonson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Piles

The one really annoying thing is the high proportion of times that Wolves are given 2 mins at the end. I mean, seriously? It happens every other week... we are 10 times as interesting as Bolton, Wigan, Blackburn, and the like.

The only interesting thing is the look on Mcarthys face every week when they lose. Well, it makes me laugh.

Seriously though, I remember (I have a good memory ) when Leicester finished in the Top 10 for 4 season in a row, and we still only got a highlight at the end of the show. They only showed interest in anyone other than the Top 4 at the end of the season when the relegation situation is more interesting.

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

(in reply to Piles)
Post #: 42
RE: Does Match of the Day need a revamp - 1/11/2011 6:53:23 PM   
directorscut

The main problem with MOTD is that it is too much of a cosy, love in between presenters. When was the last time you actually heard them argue with each other? When was the last time they actually called a team rubbish?

Too many of the presenters are still involved with the game or have friends within the game that they don't want to say anything bad about to give insightful analysis.

Hanson is good... occasionally. What is the point of a football analyst? To point out things that the viewer would not have known themselves. And when Hanson is bothered he does point out stuff about defending that I wouldn't have known... occasionally.

Lawrenson acts like he can't accept his time as a footballer is over and he is pissed off that other people are playing the game instead.

Shearer is bland. Occasionally points out informative stuff like "The striker should be there."

Lineker needs to go or at least get rid of his awful puns and "smirking and winking" style of presenting.

MOTD2 is worse. If Collin Murray didn't have a Northern Irish accent he would have no distinguishing features whatsoever. Lee Dixon is pretty good. The big problem is the lovey-dovey crap is on overdrive here. In the past three weeks they've had Dion Dublin, Neil Warnock and David Ginola on as guests all of whom added nothing but giving Murray the pleasure of wanking over them. Then there's the padding videos with some no name "journalist" or fan doing crap I don't care about in the run up to the game.

606 used to be good when they had the like of Gabriele Marcotti on. Last season they had Robbie Savage on who was occasionally entertainment in a stupid kind of way. Now they have Jason Roberts who adds nothing and of course comes up completely blind when any talk of Blackburn happens.

(in reply to Piles)
Post #: 43
RE: Does Match of the Day need a revamp - 1/11/2011 9:42:37 PM   
Piles

quote:

ORIGINAL: jonson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Piles

The one really annoying thing is the high proportion of times that Wolves are given 2 mins at the end. I mean, seriously? It happens every other week... we are 10 times as interesting as Bolton, Wigan, Blackburn, and the like.

The only interesting thing is the look on Mcarthys face every week when they lose. Well, it makes me laugh.

I think many people would be surprised if they watched 90 minutes of a game of ours. We're obviously no City but we're a lot better than MOTD shows us to be.

I remember last season when we played Liverpool at Anfield (I went). We outplayed them, out-attacked them, out-defended them, had massive portions of the ball. On MOTD they show 3 Liverpool attacks (potentially the only 3) and the Wolves goal, putting it across as a lucky counter attack against the run of play. Shocking really.

Top 100 Moz Songs / Top 100 Films

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 44
RE: Does Match of the Day need a revamp - 1/11/2011 9:46:28 PM   
Keyser Sozzled

quote:

ORIGINAL: MOTH

caught about 5 mins 'analysis' on Sunday morning repeat of MOTD, had to turn over to more intelligent fare on teh cBeebies channel.

Rarely watch it nowadays, RTE do a superior round up show, which features longer, but more in-depth, analysis from a reliable crew including, amongt others, Trevor Steven, Ronnie Whelan, Liam Brady and Kenny Cunningham (whose balding pattern remains a thing of wonder). Plus it's on at a much better time of 8.00pm.

This.

Plus don't forget Richie Sadlier who has really come on leaps and bounds in terms of punditry.

I just can't watch MOTD anymore, it's clearly total rubbish.

I have no idea who any of them are, apart from Terry Pratchett who I know has got a beard and keeps going on about killing himself but never does.

(in reply to MOTH)
Post #: 45
RE: Does Match of the Day need a revamp - 2/11/2011 1:52:17 PM   
Arron_

Agreed on the Gary Neville mention. I really don't like the guy, but at least he knows what he's talking about and doesn't talk a load of shit for the sake of it.

(in reply to Keyser Sozzled)
Post #: 46
RE: Does Match of the Day need a revamp - 2/11/2011 5:16:15 PM   
Your Funny Uncle

http://ow.ly/i/kqKs/original

Just a new set then it seems....

Empires Top 100 Movie Characters of All Time! - VOTE NOW by clicking HERE

(in reply to Arron_)
Post #: 47
RE: Does Match of the Day need a revamp - 2/11/2011 5:44:12 PM   
directorscut

Colour overload.

Trying to blind people to lack of content.

Post #: 48
RE: Does Match of the Day need a revamp - 2/11/2011 6:33:52 PM   
Rinc

MoTD is shite nowadays. The punditry, barring Dixon, is so bland I might as well be watching Antiques Roadshow. MoTD is ok although Colin Murray is one of the worst presenters on tv. In fact I preferred that bloke on the World Athletics on C4 to him.

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:
[ color=#F1F1F1 ]text[ /color ]

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 49
RE: Does Match of the Day need a revamp - 5/11/2011 11:03:12 PM   
LB Jeffries

quote:

ORIGINAL: Your Funny Uncle

http://ow.ly/i/kqKs/original

Just a new set then it seems....

Watchin it now - quite like the new set, actually. Not sure about Lineker and Lawrenson's budding goatees, though!!

“When he shall die, take him and cut him out in little stars and he will make the face of heaven so fine that all the world will be in love with night and pay no worship to the garish sun.”

Post #: 50
RE: Does Match of the Day need a revamp - 5/11/2011 11:09:08 PM   
boaby

Movember innit.

Aye, I wrote innit, innit.

"Aberdonians, and with some degree of purpose and right on their side, have absolute contempt for Glasgow. There is a side of Aberdonians who, let's be absolutely honest about this, feel so superior to Glasgow that you can measure it by the yard."

(in reply to LB Jeffries)
Post #: 51
RE: Does Match of the Day need a revamp - 5/11/2011 11:10:18 PM   
boaby

Phuck me!

When did Jesus McFadden sign for Everton again?

"Aberdonians, and with some degree of purpose and right on their side, have absolute contempt for Glasgow. There is a side of Aberdonians who, let's be absolutely honest about this, feel so superior to Glasgow that you can measure it by the yard."

(in reply to boaby)
Post #: 52
RE: Does Match of the Day need a revamp - 6/11/2011 10:37:36 AM   
Saltire

quote:

ORIGINAL: boaby

Phuck me!

When did Jesus McFadden sign for Everton again?

Last few weeks, he's been a free agent and Moyes fancied a punt on him since he already knows him. Mercurial player, a lot of the time he doesn't produce, but when he does he can be exceptional.

(in reply to boaby)
Post #: 53
RE: Does Match of the Day need a revamp - 6/11/2011 10:15:51 PM   
directorscut

Now they have Jason Roberts on MOTD!

(in reply to Saltire)
Post #: 54
RE: Does Match of the Day need a revamp - 7/11/2011 8:32:45 PM   
jermreen

quote:

ORIGINAL: MOTH

Definately. I think I mentioned this a while back in the forum on another thread but Dumphy, Brady, Giles partnership is outstanding. Sooooo much better than the english pundits. Dumphy can be a bit of a prick at times but it is entertaining sometimes to watch him annoy the hell out of Liam Brady.

Recently Watched Movies:
Bad Lieutenent-8.5/10
Tsotsi-7.9/10
The Grudge(Japan)-8.7/10

(in reply to MOTH)
Post #: 55
RE: Does Match of the Day need a revamp - 19/11/2011 11:47:04 PM   
Sutty

Match of the Day is going right down the loo in terms of quality this year. I have never been kean on Hansen, but Shearer as a "pundit" is bloody awful! Never has anything insightful or constructive to say, and has a definate bias towards certain teams. For instance today he made it sound like City were lucky to beat his beloved Newcastle. But aside from this little gripe, when has he ever actually had anything of substance to say about a game? I'm struggling to think of one. As a player I loved Shearer. He was everything you wanted in a forward and he served his clubs and country well. But as a pundit? Not for me.
Personally I think MOTD needs a reboot and some fresh faces. Preferably with something interesting to say!

"Lord, make me your instrument of peace. Where there is hatred, let me bring love.
Where there is darkness, light."

"When you're pushed, killin's as easy as breathin'"

(in reply to King_Wah)
Post #: 56
RE: Does Match of the Day need a revamp - 20/11/2011 12:08:32 AM   
Harry Lime

Get rid of Shearer and bring in Lee Dixon. I'm alway vaguely surprised at how articulate he is!

"People think I have an interesting walk. Hell, I'm just trying to hold my gut in."

If I get there early will it be the right time
our heaven is just waiting so put your hand into mine.

(in reply to Sutty)
Post #: 57
RE: Does Match of the Day need a revamp - 20/11/2011 1:41:51 PM   
horribleives

Dixon's the only one on MOTD who knows what he's talking about. In fact, him and Gary Neville are the only two pundits on telly who know what they're talking about.

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to Harry Lime)
Post #: 58
RE: Does Match of the Day need a revamp - 20/11/2011 3:20:34 PM   
superdan

There's one or two others who know what they're talking about (Keown always springs to mind), but yeah, most are either bitter cynical old men (Lawro, Hansen) or thick as shit (Shearer and the rest). It says a lot about English footballers that they can't even talk articulately about the sport they played, most pub conversations have more insight.

(in reply to horribleives)
Post #: 59
RE: Does Match of the Day need a revamp - 20/11/2011 3:22:52 PM   
Rhubarb

I think the inherent problem is that assumption that because someone has played the game they should have an idea what they are talking about, which just isn't true. I understand that the BBC/ITV/Sky want footballers as they are established names to the audience, but clearly the most insightful punditry comes from newspapers and it would make more sense to have them on to be honest.

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

ORIGINAL: FritzlFan

You organisational skills sicken me, Rhubarb.

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: Does Match of the Day need a revamp Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI