Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Does Match of the Day need a revamp

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> Does Match of the Day need a revamp Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Does Match of the Day need a revamp - 12/7/2010 10:22:29 PM   
King_Wah

I am just finding it intolerable to watch Lineker and his golf buddies any more. Hansen is lazy and arroganmt. He doesn't even bother to do any research on the games he's watching and everything is just so cynical with him. I don't know where to start with Shearer. He could only have got that gig because he's mates with hansen and Lineker. You could pick a bloke from any pub and you would get more insight. Lee Dixon I actually like. He makes sense and it is not just the same old platitudes over and again with him. I almost switched over to ITV last night that's how bad it was.

Anybody else think this way ?
Post #: 1
RE: Does Match of the Day need a revamp - 12/7/2010 10:26:49 PM   
TheManWithNoShame

Two words: James. Richardson.

sorry jbg :( i promise to stop being such a silly boy.

(in reply to King_Wah)
Post #: 2
RE: Does Match of the Day need a revamp - 12/7/2010 10:41:12 PM   
Giant Green Rabbit

quote:

ORIGINAL: TheManWithNoShame

Two words: James. Richardson.

Puntastic suggestion.

Once there was a little bunny who had a little furry tail and a little shiny nose. But the electrodeath cloud of commerce strangled it and its foxhole was converted to a parking lot, a parking lot, a parking lot. Ample parking asphalted over bunny bones. Everyone everyone get in.

(in reply to TheManWithNoShame)
Post #: 3
RE: Does Match of the Day need a revamp - 12/7/2010 10:49:35 PM   
Rinc

Yeah James Richardson would be fantastic. I like Dixon as well and with more opinionated pundits alongside him he'd be even better.

The thing with Lineker is that he has some good insights but he's just there to be a presenter. Maybe if he engaged in debate it would make it more interesting.

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:
[ color=#F1F1F1 ]text[ /color ]

(in reply to Giant Green Rabbit)
Post #: 4
RE: Does Match of the Day need a revamp - 12/7/2010 11:10:39 PM   
James2183

James Richardson is too smart to be the host of MotD and I fear had he got the job on MotD2 his talent would have been subdued due to the idiots that pundit the show. I think the BBC's entire football roster needs updating. Lineker has become an able presenter but the pundits and most of the commentators need removing. Hansen and Lawrenson deserve to be fired for the lack of research they do and the way they boast about how they don't. It's your job to be informed not laugh when someone asks you about Slovenia, it's not even like they have to do it themselves with the research department the BBC have. Mick McCarthy is a bit droll but is informative whilst Clarence Seedorf was by far and away the strongest pundit of the whole World Cup tournament. Out of the current crop of pundits on UK TV I'd have Lineker hosting with Seedorf, Dixon and Southgate as pundits. Graham Souness would be another choice too.

There is a whole host of presenters on iTunes podcasts that could a great job. Apart from the guys on Football Weekly there is the bunch on The Football Ramble that know their stuff and are a joy to listen to as is Alan Davies on his Arsenal podcast. Gabriel Marcotti of The Times is very knowledgeable but doesn't have the presenting chops to hold a show together.

One of the most disappointing aspects of this World Cup is that the closing montage was horrible. Compared to their previous efforts it was a shambles which really put a downer on the whole tournament.

Hey bub, I aint finished with you yet!

"We do not beat the reaper by living longer. We beat the reaper by living well and living fully" - Randy Pausch

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 5
RE: Does Match of the Day need a revamp - 12/7/2010 11:19:53 PM   
directorscut

Souness is ours, bucko.

< Message edited by directorscut -- 12/7/2010 11:20:12 PM >

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to James2183)
Post #: 6
RE: Does Match of the Day need a revamp - 13/7/2010 7:15:43 AM   
MOTH

there was one instance during the World Cup where Hansen and Shearer actually slagged off Dixon for being a swot because he had actually done a bit of research and knew a few names of the Slovakian players.  

Employing articulate, knowledgable, opinionated pundits who display moral courage and honesty of effort  is only half the issue, though. BBC need to provide a platform and environment whereby such pundits are actively encouraged to air these opinions, particularly controversial ones, without fear of offending each other, the viewing public or the PL bigwigs. Get the ingredients right and you've got a water-cooler programme every time, regardless of the quality of the football. 

I've only gone and set up a blog! This week I've been mostly reviewing The Lego Movie and Wadjda. Click: The Fast Picture Show

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 7
RE: Does Match of the Day need a revamp - 13/7/2010 7:58:26 AM   
Keyser Sozzled

MoTD is just terrible. As others have said there is very little if any actual analysis. Lee Dixon surprised me to be honest becuase he knows his stuff and is not afraid to say it as he sees it, Hansn has just become a parody of himself. There was a time when he was considered to be the best in the biz, but things move on and he just looks sooooo lazy now it is hardly beliveable.

I like James Richardson and also think Graham Hunter is top man, although he is a little too far up Barca's bumhole for my liking.

Linekar has shown himself to be a competent presenter and keep everything ticking over well.

I would like to see: Linekar, Dixon, Hunter & a weekly guest. No one who is currently playing and someone who has actually achieved something in the game.

MoTD 2: Richardson, Danny Mills (anyone who has heard him on Newstalk will agree he is opinionated and knowledgable), Didi Hammann (Again shown himself to be a really good pundit) and possibly someone from the lower leagues for a bit of perspective.

I have no idea who any of them are, apart from Terry Pratchett who I know has got a beard and keeps going on about killing himself but never does.

(in reply to MOTH)
Post #: 8
RE: Does Match of the Day need replacing by RTE? - 13/7/2010 9:27:19 AM   
Sexual Harassment Panda

quote:

ORIGINAL: James2183

One of the most disappointing aspects of this World Cup is that the closing montage was horrible. Compared to their previous efforts it was a shambles which really put a downer on the whole tournament.

And here was me thinking people watched the World Cup/Match of the Day for the football...

< Message edited by Sexual Harassment Panda -- 13/7/2010 9:36:06 AM >

Ole Gunnar Solskj�r - 1996-2007

Member of the MW2 Star 69 Club
Member of the CoD4 Mile High Club

(in reply to James2183)
Post #: 9
RE: Does Match of the Day need replacing by RTE? - 13/7/2010 5:18:23 PM   
BishopQuaker

Pardon my ignorance but who is James Richardson?

ITV is going to be dire regardless of whoever they have on it.

It's a shame Chiles went over to the Dark Side.
I prefered MOTD2 to MOTD at some points because it was a slightly lighter look back.

Dixon is an excellent pundit.
Hanson is a tad over-cynical at times.

Being a Mackem I have to say that Shearer is devoid of personality.

Mick McCarthy is an awesome comentator but I'm not sure how he'd do as a pundit.

(in reply to Sexual Harassment Panda)
Post #: 10
RE: Does Match of the Day need replacing by RTE? - 13/7/2010 5:31:17 PM   
Rinc

quote:

ORIGINAL: BishopQuaker

Pardon my ignorance but who is James Richardson?

Former presenter of Football Italia on Channel 4, he now fronts the Guardian's football podcasts.

Genuine legend.

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:

(in reply to BishopQuaker)
Post #: 11
RE: Does Match of the Day need replacing by RTE? - 13/7/2010 5:41:44 PM   
Rhubarb

"like a man who works in a coupon factory, Leonardo has his work cut out for him" is my favourite Jimbo pun of all time. I actually own a I Belong to Jimbo t-shirt as well, i'm proud to say.

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

ORIGINAL: FritzlFan

You organisational skills sicken me, Rhubarb.

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 12
RE: Does Match of the Day need replacing by RTE? - 13/7/2010 5:44:57 PM   
FritzlFan

The Football Italia double-team of James Richardson and Peter Brackley joining MoTD would be brilliant. Throw in Pleaty as well.

< Message edited by FritzlFan -- 13/7/2010 5:45:51 PM >

quote:

ORIGINAL: Miles Messervy 007

Child labour is necessary in the short term

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 13
RE: Does Match of the Day need replacing by RTE? - 13/7/2010 5:52:49 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

Hansen needs to be fired - all he ever says are the words 'passion' and 'commitment'. Him and Shearer don't half make for a shitty combination. 

(in reply to FritzlFan)
Post #: 14
RE: Does Match of the Day need replacing by RTE? - 13/7/2010 5:59:32 PM   
superdan

I agree largely with what's already been said. I think Lineker has quietly matured into a very capable host (a long way from the bumbling object of ridicule on They Think It's All Over). Hansen, Lawro, Crooks and Shearer need to be binned. They are all either too cynical, sarcastic or dull.

I'd like to see Seedorf and Dixon as regular pundits, both offer interesting opinions and insights. I also quite Keown oddly enough. For someone I hated as a player, he comes across as articulate and thoughtful.

(in reply to Fluke Skywalker)
Post #: 15
RE: Does Match of the Day need replacing by RTE? - 13/7/2010 7:54:20 PM   
Professor Moriarty

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rhubarb

"like a man who works in a coupon factory, Leonardo has his work cut out for him" is my favourite Jimbo pun of all time. I actually own a I Belong to Jimbo t-shirt as well, i'm proud to say.

In the final podcast there was talk of Lawro being upset when Torres was injured. It was suggested that this wasn't as much for the fortunes of Spain as Liverpool. Then some wit chimed up that it was really because he's the only player he knows anything about.

I think question 1 is whether MotD really needs pundits? Do most viewers want to just see the highlights? If they want more do they want entertainment, knock about banter from a panel they know with the sayings they expect? Or do they actually want genuine insightful analysis?

My vote is for the latter, but then we need pundits who know something. What's the saying those who can't do teach, and those who can't teach teach PE. So those who can't play manage and those who can't manage pundit.

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 16
RE: Does Match of the Day need replacing by RTE? - 13/7/2010 8:07:35 PM   
James2183

quote:

ORIGINAL: Professor Moriarty
Then some wit chimed up that it was really because he's the only player he knows anything about.

Got to love Sid Lowe!

"We do not beat the reaper by living longer. We beat the reaper by living well and living fully" - Randy Pausch

(in reply to Professor Moriarty)
Post #: 17
RE: Does Match of the Day need a revamp - 13/7/2010 8:44:21 PM   
galvatron

James Richardson is quality.

Hansen has had his day; he needs to move on. He said before the England Germany game: "This is an average German side". Clearly not done his research!

I like Seedorf, I also have a soft spot for Desailly just because of his sheer passion and enthusiasm for football.
Other pundit's I've liked in the past: Martin O'Neil, Roy Hodgson, Leonardo.

These are ones I remember liking when they've been on and I've got respect for them. I've lost respect for Hansen now!

(in reply to King_Wah)
Post #: 18
RE: Does Match of the Day need a revamp - 13/7/2010 9:32:21 PM   
King_Wah

Hansen is my main gripe. there's nothing this guy can say that is interesting any longer. You've heard it all before. Its also the way he slouches (and I know that makes me sound priggish) He just looks like he's bored and contemptuous. Shearer is just a joke. He makes Southgate seem insightful.

(in reply to galvatron)
Post #: 19
RE: Does Match of the Day need replacing by RTE? - 13/7/2010 10:07:44 PM   
BishopQuaker

quote:

ORIGINAL: FritzlFan

The Football Italia double-team of James Richardson and Peter Brackley joining MoTD would be brilliant. Throw in Pleaty as well.

Sod Pleaty.
He's one of the worst comentators ever.

(in reply to FritzlFan)
Post #: 20
RE: Does Match of the Day need a revamp - 13/7/2010 10:28:13 PM   
James2183

quote:

ORIGINAL: King_Wah

Its also the way he slouches (and I know that makes me sound priggish) He just looks like he's bored and contemptuous.

No I would totally agree. It looks as if he doesn't want to be there and that MotD should be honoured he is a pundit for them.

(in reply to King_Wah)
Post #: 21
RE: Does Match of the Day need a revamp - 14/7/2010 4:16:28 PM   
thatlittlemonkey

I can honestly say I only listened to the pundits for the first time in ages after the World Cup final.  I normally record MOTD and fastforward to the actual football, see.  Anyhoo, on Sunday - I concur from that snapshot that Hansen and Shearer are rubbish.  Hansen's constant whinging about how the Dutch don't deserve to win got so aggravating that I sort of wanted them to score just to stick it up his arse.  The fact that he continued to moan after full time just took the piss.  There's being partizan, then there's being a whining mook.  I don't remember him saying anything of note.

Shearer is a charisma vacuum, end of.

Oh and Lawro's a fucking joke.  We have Radio 1 on in the office sometimes and I can tell you his daily chats with Chris Moyles were some of the most arse-clenchingly uncomfortable, nay painful things I've listened to and it was often not even Moyles's fault...

On a brighter note, I do genuinely like Linekar.  He's grown into the role well.

I'm going to need a SWAT Team ready to mobilise, street-level maps covering all of Florida, a pot of coffee, twelve Jammy Dodgers and a fez.

(in reply to James2183)
Post #: 22
RE: Does Match of the Day need a revamp - 15/7/2010 9:07:43 AM   
King_Wah

Lawro's a frustrated Stand up...and a twat.

I like Keown as a pundit to and where's Gavin Peacock gone. He used to be really good but he dissapeared last year.

(in reply to thatlittlemonkey)
Post #: 23
RE: Does Match of the Day need a revamp - 15/7/2010 9:23:50 AM   
Rinc

Gavin Peaock left to become a vicar.

I thought he was awful. He always pointed out the most obvious and basic things but presented them as if he'd just discovered the atom.

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:

(in reply to King_Wah)
Post #: 24
RE: Does Match of the Day need a revamp - 17/7/2010 7:48:02 AM   
timomouse

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rinc

Gavin Peaock left to become a vicar.

Really? Bit of a departure!

I know not many will agree, but Craig Burley is very good. He's like Lawrenson, but the comments he makes are funny and biting rather than unfunny and slightly weird.

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 25
RE: Does Match of the Day need a revamp - 18/8/2010 2:32:27 AM   
tompy100

What a woeful opening montage to MOTD - tried to be snazzy and copy that advert from years ago where they superimposed past greats with modern players.

Plus the two bland Alan's never do it for me - "who's gonna win the league then?" Alan H "Chelsea", Alan S "I wanted to pick them boo hoo".

And don't get me started on Colin Murray - went to school with him and he was annoying then as well! 

(in reply to timomouse)
Post #: 26
RE: Does Match of the Day need a revamp - 18/8/2010 2:47:26 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

quote:

ORIGINAL: King_Wah

Hansen is my main gripe. there's nothing this guy can say that is interesting any longer. You've heard it all before. Its also the way he slouches (and I know that makes me sound priggish)

He's a man who's comfortably settled into a job for life and become totally complacent. Used to be good, now a complete dullard. Shearer is his brother in the art of boredom.

quote:

ORIGINAL : thatlittlemonkey

I normally record MOTD and fastforward to the actual football

Exactly what I do.

(in reply to King_Wah)
Post #: 27
RE: Does Match of the Day need a revamp - 18/8/2010 3:01:46 PM   
MOTH

I must agree the opening sequence for MOTD2 (and i presume MOTD on sat night) was simply awful, not to mention a couple of ham-fisted montage sequences in the intro section. It really was shockingly mis-judged and amateur stuff.

As for the show itself, one of the few highlights of having to get up early on Sunday mornings when I became a parent was to find the early MOTD repeat cut out all the analysis and just showed the football! Twas great, but i think they just repeat the whole show now, so I watch cBeebies instead which offers more intelligent talk and less funny looking characters.

I've only gone and set up a blog! This week I've been mostly reviewing The Lego Movie and Wadjda. Click: The Fast Picture Show

(in reply to Fluke Skywalker)
Post #: 28
RE: Does Match of the Day need a revamp - 18/8/2010 3:39:23 PM   
jonson

quote:

ORIGINAL: MOTH

I must agree the opening sequence for MOTD2 (and i presume MOTD on sat night) was simply awful, not to mention a couple of ham-fisted montage sequences in the intro section. It really was shockingly mis-judged and amateur stuff.

Agreed. It was really poorly done. If they had spent more than £37 putting it together, it might have been a nice idea.

I too SKY+ it and skim through the banter. I like Gary Lineker though, Hansen and Shearer are awful, Lawrenson has turned too smug and unfunny, Dixon is OK (too much make-up though) Keown surprisingly is very watchable and insightful, I'd have Robbie Savage and Jonathan Pearce on the sofa every week.

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

(in reply to MOTH)
Post #: 29
RE: Does Match of the Day need a revamp - 18/8/2010 3:42:05 PM   
Sinatra

quote:

I'd have Robbie Savage and Jonathan Pearce on the sofa every week.

I bet you would,,,,,,, you dirty old fucker....

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> Does Match of the Day need a revamp Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI