Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: eReaders

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> RE: eReaders Page: <<   < prev  4 5 6 [7] 8   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: eReaders - 6/6/2012 10:17:21 AM   
steffols

HELP ME.

I haven't used my Kindle in a while and I just started it back up but I forgot which email address I had it connected to so I decided to link it to a new account with an address I use more frequently. Obviously, I lost the books I had for the previous account but as most of them were free downloads, I didn't mind.

I just tried to purchase a book from the Kindle store and everything went as normal but now it's not showing up on my homepage. I have the verification email that I purchased it and it said on the Kindle itself that I had downloaded it but its not there!

I also have a notice of a credit card problem which seems impossible to get rid of and makes my Kindle look untidy but I have no idea how to delete it! There doesn't seem to be an option.

I'm so confused, someone help me please?!

EDIT: I just found all the other books I thought I had lost. It seems my Kindle has reconfigured itself and had hid them. Still no sign of my recently purchased one though.

It's midnight in Manhattan, this is no time to get cute, it's a mad dog's promenade,
So walk tall, or baby don't walk at all.

(in reply to MI Cruise)
Post #: 181
RE: eReaders - 6/6/2012 10:34:23 AM   
sharkboy

Have you updated your email details on Amazon as well as on the Kindle itself?  As long as the Kindle is registered to your amazon acocunt, there shouldn't be a problem with getting books already purchased sent to it again.  Check in your archive list on the Kindle (normally the last item on your booklist), and if you see it there, just download it again.

As for the credit card notice, just push the d-pad to the left and you should get a "delete" prompt under the title.  Push the middle of the d-pad for OK and it'll be gone.

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to steffols)
Post #: 182
RE: eReaders - 6/6/2012 11:02:40 AM   
steffols

Thanks Sharky. Out of all the gadgets I have, the Kindle is the biggest mystery to me. All sorted now! The book eventually appeared, I was just a bit scared cause before it would be there straight away.

Need to start using it more really!

It's midnight in Manhattan, this is no time to get cute, it's a mad dog's promenade,
So walk tall, or baby don't walk at all.

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 183
RE: eReaders - 27/6/2012 12:42:33 PM   
Filmfan 2

Only thing I don't like about the new kindle software is the way that you have to go into settings to turn off the wi-fi.

If reading a web page, I liked to turn the wi-fi off to save battery. This used to be as simple as opening the menu and turning the wi-fi off. Now, I have to go back to the home page, access settings, turn off wi-fi, then press the back key. Seems a bit more convoluted now.

I am not drinkin' any fuckin' Merlot!

"All I wanted me was a piece of cornbread, you motherfuckers!"

Defender of all things Batman Begins

(in reply to steffols)
Post #: 184
RE: eReaders - 27/6/2012 12:49:53 PM   
Chief

New Kindle software? Has there been an update?

(in reply to steffols)
Post #: 185
RE: eReaders - 27/6/2012 6:02:53 PM   
Filmfan 2

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chief

Yup.

I got an auto-update the other day.

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 186
RE: eReaders - 28/6/2012 9:50:56 AM   
Invader_Ace

Ok you paper-Judases, how come every ad for an eReader shows people swanking about with them tucked in back pockets or "easily" reading them with one hand, yet when ever I see someone using one in real life, the first thing they've done is buy a bulky cover, so that they have to hold it like a book and keep it in their bag?!  Hmmm, HMMMM?!

(in reply to Filmfan 2)
Post #: 187
RE: eReaders - 28/6/2012 9:57:54 AM   
Hobbitonlass

I have a cover for it that has a light in it as well and I still manage to read it one handed (I have to as I need the other hand to hold o,n on the Tube!)

Come join in the Photo competition http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3116407&mpage=1&key=

(in reply to Invader_Ace)
Post #: 188
RE: eReaders - 28/6/2012 10:24:08 AM   
DancingClown

Nothing can beat the tactile pleasure of owning, holding, and reading a book. With your Kindles and such it's almost as if the only thing that matters is the technology and the book itself just gets consumed by that.

Astronomic Tune Boy

'The town knew darkness, and darkness was enough.'

"Storm just bleeewwww me away..."

(in reply to Hobbitonlass)
Post #: 189
RE: eReaders - 28/6/2012 10:32:19 AM   
Hobbitonlass

Disagree there DC. I know what you mean about the hold and feel of a book and certainly felt the same way before I had a kindle however having a kindle means that it is easier to read on my commute and takes up less space (I read some doorstop books ) and also very handy for taking on holiday (again less space as I used to take 3 - 4 books away with me previously, now they're all on the kindle).

The only downside is that you can't see what people are reading (or people seeing what you are reading) and I have in the past spoken to someone who I have seen reading a book that I read and adored

Pros and Cons for both with me.

Come join in the Photo competition http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3116407&mpage=1&key=

(in reply to DancingClown)
Post #: 190
RE: eReaders - 28/6/2012 10:44:29 AM   
Rob

I'd agree with you there Hobbsy. However, the "downside" you mentioned has actually been part of the appeal of e-readers for me.

Shamefully I used to silently judge people who read anything with a crown, a sword, a wizard or the likes on the cover... fantasy in other words There were, for me, lesser people, to be mocked and silently laughed at while I read whatever book Richard and Judy told me to read. And yet with the Kindle / iPad something strange happened and I allowed myself to try one of these fantasy books. I told myself I was doing it to better understand "the weirdos" I shared a tube carriage with and yet secretly I yearned to be whisked away to far off lands...and now I'm proud to say I am one of those people I used to judge. The e-reader has allowed me to read the books I really want to read and not the ones I think I should read and for that alone I bloody love it.

However, if I ever read Fifty Shades of Gray I've probably gone too far.

Same thing happened to me when I played Neil Armstrong in Moonshot. They found me in an alley in Burbank trying to re-enter the earth's atmosphere in an old refrigerator box.

Post #: 191
RE: eReaders - 28/6/2012 11:44:10 AM   
Chief

quote:

ORIGINAL: Filmfan 2

quote:

Yup.

Just by switching on wifi or when you've bought a book? I've not had it yet.

(in reply to Filmfan 2)
Post #: 192
RE: eReaders - 28/6/2012 11:46:17 AM   
Chief

quote:

ORIGINAL: DancingClown

Nothing can beat the tactile pleasure of owning, holding, and reading a book. With your Kindles and such it's almost as if the only thing that matters is the technology and the book itself just gets consumed by that.

No, it's the actual reading that counts. Whether it's from paper or a screen makes no odds surely?

(in reply to DancingClown)
Post #: 193
RE: eReaders - 28/6/2012 12:12:02 PM   
Invader_Ace

quote:

No, it's the actual reading that counts. Whether it's from paper or a screen makes no odds surely?

Actually, it's hard to say.  There a lot of studies out there that say speed, comprehension and recall are all worse when reading from a screen, there are flaws with all these, but anecdotally it seems to be the case.

Personally, I spend all day looking at a screen, I don't want another one in my life.

< Message edited by Invader_Ace -- 28/6/2012 12:14:35 PM >

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 194
RE: eReaders - 29/6/2012 2:47:49 PM   
Filmfan 2

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yup.

Ermmm...

I think it might have been after buying a book. Basically I was reading away and the thing seemed to reset itself, but then a screen came up saying it was being updated. I'm currently running Version 4.1.0.

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 195
RE: eReaders - 2/7/2012 4:36:51 AM   
doubtlesswonder

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yup.

Ermmm...

I think it might have been after buying a book. Basically I was reading away and the thing seemed to reset itself, but then a screen came up saying it was being updated. I'm currently running Version 4.1.0.

I think it depends which Kindle you're using. I'm using the original Kindle keyboard which is on version 3.3 and that's the latest. You can find out which is the latest version for your Kindle here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=200487920

quote:

homersimpson_esq
"Will someone please get this motherfuckin' horcrux outta this motherfuckin' snake."

quote:

homersimpson_esq
"See Mr Grey.
See Mr Grey abuse women.
Run women, run."

(in reply to Filmfan 2)
Post #: 196
RE: eReaders - 2/7/2012 10:40:16 AM   
Chief

quote:

ORIGINAL: doubtlesswonder

I think it depends which Kindle you're using. I'm using the original Kindle keyboard which is on version 3.3 and that's the latest. You can find out which is the latest version for your Kindle here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=200487920

Same here. I don't really want to do an update in case it implements any new security feature that would mean I can't read my "American Aunt's" books.

(in reply to doubtlesswonder)
Post #: 197
RE: eReaders - 4/7/2012 12:32:04 PM   
Invader_Ace

So how do you eReadees feel about this?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2012/jul/04/big-ereader-is-watching-you

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 198
RE: eReaders - 7/9/2012 1:10:27 PM   
sharkboy

So, anyone planning to move to e-reader or upgrade their Kindle now that Amazon have announced that the Kindle Fire is coming here?  Of course, the newest iPad-challenging 10" Kindle Fire will be US only, but we can't expect an announcement from Amazon that doesn't shaft its non-US customers, can we?

Personally, I think it's too little, too late.  Had this been launched a year ago, I'd already have one.  But there's just too much competition in the smaller tablet market now.  Why buy a tablet running a bastardised restricted version of Android when you can get a Nexus 7, a better specced tablet, running the proper OS with all the support and flexibility that offers?

I love my Kindle Keyboard; I honestly can't think of a day since I bought it that I haven't used it.  But I reckon I'll pass on the Fire in favour of a full Android model loaded with the Kindle App.  And the Sony e-reader app for that matter.

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to Invader_Ace)
Post #: 199
RE: eReaders - 7/9/2012 1:17:18 PM   
Harry Tuttle

I'd been uhming and ahing about getting a Kindle for a while, in the end I decided not to bother and downloaded the app instead. I've got to say that the app for Android is great. I'm using it on my Galaxy Note and after playing about with the settings a bit I can read it for quite a while before I get a sniff of eye strain. The Galaxy Note is just about big enough for the Kindle app to be worth using so I doubt I'll be rushing out to buy one any time soon.

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 200
RE: eReaders - 7/9/2012 1:32:00 PM   
sanchia

quote:

ORIGINAL: sharkboy

So, anyone planning to move to e-reader or upgrade their Kindle now that Amazon have announced that the Kindle Fire is coming here?  Of course, the newest iPad-challenging 10" Kindle Fire will be US only, but we can't expect an announcement from Amazon that doesn't shaft its non-US customers, can we?

Personally, I think it's too little, too late.  Had this been launched a year ago, I'd already have one.  But there's just too much competition in the smaller tablet market now.  Why buy a tablet running a bastardised restricted version of Android when you can get a Nexus 7, a better specced tablet, running the proper OS with all the support and flexibility that offers?

I love my Kindle Keyboard; I honestly can't think of a day since I bought it that I haven't used it.  But I reckon I'll pass on the Fire in favour of a full Android model loaded with the Kindle App.  And the Sony e-reader app for that matter.

I have to admit I have not heard very good reviews for the Kindle Fire.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 201
RE: eReaders - 7/9/2012 1:55:06 PM   
Super Hans

quote:

ORIGINAL: sanchia

quote:

ORIGINAL: sharkboy

I have to admit I have not heard very good reviews for the Kindle Fire.

I think I've read mostly good ones - I think until the Nexus 7 came out, the likes of T3 & Stuff pretty much placed it as the one to beat in terms of smaller, cheaper tablets.

My interest in tablets comes and goes - most recently peaked when I bought my wife an iPad and decided I wanted one.  Bought myself a cheap (but reasonably specced) Archos one from HMV but took it back due to a defective battery.  As I expected really though, it was completely surpluss to requirements.  I have a perfectly capable laptop for browsing and an iPod Touch for when I can't be arsed to switch that on - a third device just seemed 100% excessive.

If my Kindle keyboard gave up the ghost for some reason I might be tempted by a Kindle Fire, but then again as an e-reader, the traditional Kindles are far more fit for purpose I think, due to the e-ink display & non-glare screen, and the battery lasts ages between charges.

Saying that, when I get the next wave of obsession over tablets, who knows, I might end up getting one

"Its staring at you in the face Mark, there's only one more sex to try..."

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 202
RE: eReaders - 7/9/2012 2:39:36 PM   
Hobbitonlass

quote:

ORIGINAL: Super Hans

If my Kindle keyboard gave up the ghost for some reason I might be tempted by a Kindle Fire, but then again as an e-reader, the traditional Kindles are far more fit for purpose I think, due to the e-ink display & non-glare screen, and the battery lasts ages between charges.

That's exactly how I feel.  I have a Kindle keyboard and it does the job lovely.  If it dies and needs replacing I'll get a Fire.  For all non-reading activities, the iPhone or iPad is sufficient

(in reply to Super Hans)
Post #: 203
RE: eReaders - 7/9/2012 3:16:08 PM   
Chief

Same as above. My Kindle Keyboard is still used daily and I see no need to replace it. If I had a Kindle app on a tablet instead I'd probably just end up pissing about with the tablet instead of reading.

(in reply to steffols)
Post #: 204
RE: eReaders - 7/9/2012 3:25:15 PM   
Hobbitonlass

I've got the Kindle app on the iPhone (too small to read imo) and on the iPad, rubbish in the sun because of glare.  Kindle is perfect for outdoor reading

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 205
RE: eReaders - 7/9/2012 3:51:03 PM   
homersimpson_esq

You know what else is really good at not having glare in the sun?

Books.

YEAH I WENT THERE.

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

Post #: 206
RE: eReaders - 7/9/2012 3:54:45 PM   
Hobbitonlass

I'm alternating at the moment as trying to get through my pile of "to reads" so I have a physical book on the go at the moment

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 207
RE: eReaders - 7/9/2012 5:30:53 PM   
Super Hans

quote:

ORIGINAL: homersimpson_esq

You know what else is really good at not having glare in the sun?

Books.

YEAH I WENT THERE.

Doh, I know there was another device I hadn't mentioned...battery life is even better than the Kindle too!

"Its staring at you in the face Mark, there's only one more sex to try..."

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 208
RE: eReaders - 7/9/2012 5:37:27 PM   
sanchia

That bookcase does get a bit heavy to carry around though.

I have 1026 books on my Kindle.

To be honest I love books and would still buy them but just don't have the room for them any more.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to Super Hans)
Post #: 209
RE: eReaders - 8/9/2012 12:20:46 AM   
doubtlesswonder

Reading on the iPad isn't good when there's glare, but I have to say it's not a problem at all on the actual Kindle.

Besides, you can get glare from actual books if the pages are white enough.

quote:

homersimpson_esq
"Will someone please get this motherfuckin' horcrux outta this motherfuckin' snake."

quote:

homersimpson_esq
"See Mr Grey.
See Mr Grey abuse women.
Run women, run."

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 210
Page:   <<   < prev  4 5 6 [7] 8   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> RE: eReaders Page: <<   < prev  4 5 6 [7] 8   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI