Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: eReaders

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> RE: eReaders Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: eReaders - 17/1/2012 8:44:38 AM   
big dawg

quote:

ORIGINAL: Drew_231

quote:

ORIGINAL: big dawg
I've came in drunk a couple of times and randomly bought a few books!

nothing better after a wild night out

'This Breaking Dawn book looks brilliant!!'

yeah but its not as good as the film.....

I can believe things that are true and I can believe things that aren't true and I can believe things where nobody knows if they're true or not

Gamertag - SqualorVic

(in reply to Drew_231)
Post #: 151
RE: eReaders - 17/1/2012 12:57:48 PM   
ChickMagnet

Right, I'm pretty much set on getting me a Kindle, I don't like the idea of reading from a screen, however there are some books I can't get any more that are on the Kindle, plus it'll be a nice way to cover up that I'm actually reading a Wrestling Autobiography and not the poetry of Keats or something

I has a couple of questions though - first are there any high street stores I caqn go and get one from or do I have to leave my Kindle in the hands of my incompetent delivery guy? Secondly the 3G is tempting me as I like the idea of seeing a book, and buying it straight away, however - if I was to get the Wi-Fi version and then if I'm in a place with no Wi-Fi and heard of a book on sale, could I then go onto Amazon's app on my mobile phone, buy the book and then download it when I get home?

(in reply to big dawg)
Post #: 152
RE: eReaders - 17/1/2012 1:20:21 PM   
Chief Wiggum

quote:

ORIGINAL: ChickMagnet

Right, I'm pretty much set on getting me a Kindle, I don't like the idea of reading from a screen, however there are some books I can't get any more that are on the Kindle, plus it'll be a nice way to cover up that I'm actually reading a Wrestling Autobiography and not the poetry of Keats or something

I has a couple of questions though - first are there any high street stores I caqn go and get one from or do I have to leave my Kindle in the hands of my incompetent delivery guy? Secondly the 3G is tempting me as I like the idea of seeing a book, and buying it straight away, however - if I was to get the Wi-Fi version and then if I'm in a place with no Wi-Fi and heard of a book on sale, could I then go onto Amazon's app on my mobile phone, buy the book and then download it when I get home?

You can get them from PC world, or at least you could, I bought one there last year.

as for the second part I don't know, if I'm desperate to buy a book my phone allows me to create a wifi network using its internet connection so I'd just connect using that (android 2.2, if you're interested)

The Empire Forum Photo Competition - join now for fun and profit. okay no profit, or fun. but do it anyway!

(in reply to ChickMagnet)
Post #: 153
RE: eReaders - 17/1/2012 2:32:13 PM   
Rob

quote:

Any book you buy from the Kindle store be it on your phone, on the internet, through an app etc will be available to download on your Kindle when you are next in Wifi range. So the answer is yes. If you have an iPhone though you can't buy directly from the app and instead you just need to get amazon.co.uk on your web browser.

Same thing happened to me when I played Neil Armstrong in Moonshot. They found me in an alley in Burbank trying to re-enter the earth's atmosphere in an old refrigerator box.

Post #: 154
RE: eReaders - 17/1/2012 2:51:20 PM   
Hobbitonlass

Y
quote:

You can get the Kindle from loads of places - Argos, John Lewis, Tesco (order online and pick up in store) to name a few

Come join in the Photo competition http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3116407&mpage=1&key=

Post #: 155
RE: eReaders - 26/1/2012 4:38:58 PM   
Chief

Just acquired a disc with loads of books on, great!

Another bonus is that the Harry Potter books are on it. With JK not releasing the books for Kindle I didn't think I was going to bother reading them.

(in reply to big dawg)
Post #: 156
RE: eReaders - 26/1/2012 5:01:40 PM   
directorscut

Was it full of crime and pirate books?

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 157
RE: eReaders - 26/1/2012 8:22:54 PM   
sanchia

I have both the Sony E-Reader and a Kindle. I favour the Kindle for the larger screen and superior battery life although the touch screen page turn of the Sony is a very nice touch.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 158
RE: eReaders - 26/1/2012 11:13:04 PM   
doubtlesswonder

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chief

Another bonus is that the Harry Potter books are on it. With JK not releasing the books for Kindle I didn't think I was going to bother reading them.

She is going to release them as ebooks, she just hasn't announced when yet.

What else is on your disc?

quote:

homersimpson_esq
"Will someone please get this motherfuckin' horcrux outta this motherfuckin' snake."

quote:

homersimpson_esq
"See Mr Grey.
See Mr Grey abuse women.
Run women, run."

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 159
RE: eReaders - 27/1/2012 9:49:19 AM   
Chief

quote:

ORIGINAL: doubtlesswonder

quote:

She is going to release them as ebooks, she just hasn't announced when yet.

What else is on your disc?

Not had a proper look yet, going to finish the book I'm currently reading then have a gander. I did spot Hunter S. Thompson, Iain Banks & Ian Fleming.

quote:

ORIGINAL: directorscut

Was it full of crime and pirate books?

Hope so, I fucking love Treasure Island.

< Message edited by Chief -- 27/1/2012 9:51:14 AM >

(in reply to doubtlesswonder)
Post #: 160
RE: eReaders - 27/1/2012 1:51:17 PM   
Olaf

quote:

As much as I love my kindle this is the real issue. If I'm reading something on it rather than a book, there's no way to impress bookish girls on public transport by showing off one's cleverness without the cover. It's a shambles I say.

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

Empire Top 100 Albums Poll 2013: CLICK HERE

Post #: 161
RE: eReaders - 27/1/2012 1:52:17 PM   
matty_b

quote:

ORIGINAL: Olaf

quote:

As much as I love my kindle this is the real issue. If I'm reading something on it rather than a book, there's no way to impress bookish girls on public transport by showing off one's cleverness without the cover. It's a shambles I say.

Have you tried reading it with your cock hanging out?

That might impress them.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 162
RE: eReaders - 27/1/2012 1:54:45 PM   
Olaf

quote:

ORIGINAL: matty_b

quote:

ORIGINAL: Olaf

quote:

Have you tried reading it with your cock hanging out?

That might impress them.

It has the opposite effect I'm afraid. Sad times.

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 163
RE: eReaders - 27/1/2012 2:04:44 PM   
matty_b

Girls, huh? Just no pleasing the laydeez.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 164
RE: eReaders - 27/1/2012 3:27:40 PM   
Chief

Try writing the name of your impressive book on your less than impressive appendage.

(in reply to big dawg)
Post #: 165
RE: eReaders - 27/1/2012 3:33:52 PM   
Olaf

quote:

Try writing the name of your impressive book on your less than impressive appendage.

I was only able to get as far as "Ulyss" and ran out of space.

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 166
RE: eReaders - 27/1/2012 4:11:24 PM   
directorscut

I wrote "The Lord of the Rings" but I had plenty of space left over, so I added "The Fellowship of the Ring, The Two Towers, The Return of the King by J.R.R. Tolkien" and the introduction and prologue.

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 167
RE: eReaders - 27/1/2012 9:20:17 PM   
ChickMagnet

quote:

ORIGINAL: directorscut

I wrote "The Lord of the Rings" but I had plenty of space left over, so I added "The Fellowship of the Ring, The Two Towers, The Return of the King by J.R.R. Tolkien" and the introduction and prologue.

Pshhht, that's nothing, I had all that AND The Hobbit on mine!

Now back to the real purpose for my posting on here, I has a Kindle, I got it as a well done to myself for being a big boy and going to the Dentists for the first time since I was 17.

However I do feel the ease in buying books is going to financially cripple me!

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 168
RE: eReaders - 27/1/2012 10:22:53 PM   
the anomaly

Got a Kindle for Christmas.

Loving it. Easy to read from, light so easy to travel about with, easier than turning pages on a packed tube and buying books is seamless. Picked up some nice deals over Christmas and one or two of the daily deals too.

Thumbs up.

Post #: 169
RE: eReaders - 30/1/2012 5:19:56 PM   
squeezyrider

I got a Kindle for Christmas and it's now the best thing I own. For me the biggest plus is that I fell like I can read pretty much anywhere for as long or as short a period as I want. I don't know about you but I used to have a number of little psychological barriers that stopped me from picking up a book. Can I be arsed finding my page, am I sure this is where I get up to, will I be able to get to the end of this chapter etc. Now if I'm in a queue for five or ten minuutes I just turn my Kindle on and start reading. Looking at book progress as a percentage rather that page numbers seems to help as well. At 90% it doesn;t seem too much of a stretch to just read the final 10% however that could mean 70 or 80 pages.  

Yorkshire is a place...

Yorkshire is a state of mind.

(in reply to the anomaly)
Post #: 170
RE: eReaders - 7/2/2012 2:02:03 PM   
Rob

Since I bought my iPad I do most of my reading on that. However, I've just worked out how to put all my Kindle books into iBooks (I like having them all in one place and didn't like the Kindle app) and so I'm back to using my Kindle on the tube and the iPad at home. Either way I don't think I'll ever buy another book!

Same thing happened to me when I played Neil Armstrong in Moonshot. They found me in an alley in Burbank trying to re-enter the earth's atmosphere in an old refrigerator box.

(in reply to squeezyrider)
Post #: 171
RE: eReaders - 7/2/2012 3:43:58 PM   
King of Kafiristan

I've been reading through much of the Bond series on my iPad, with the exception of continuation novel ZERO MINUS TEN, which I got from the library. The ereader experience has spoiled me, and I now find the ungainly heft of a regular book burdensome. The tactile experience and satisfaction that comes from owning nice books is indisputable, but as far as ease of reading goes, I definitely prefer not having to flip pages. I also find the ability to adjust the font depending on conditions and how tired my eyes are to be a great benefit. To that end, the iBooks APP has proven far superior to Amazon's Kindle APP, as IBooks offers the option to adjust the font size a point at a time. Kindle has but five preset font sizes, and the differences between them are so extreme that it leads to a situation where one is too big, but the next too small - at least in my experience on the iPad.

Additionally, I enjoy the way the iBooks APP presents the eBook as if it were a paper tome, with binding and "pages". It's a subtle effect, but somehow it really helps with readability, especially when viewing two "pages" side by side in landscape, having the shading in the center helps your eyes differentiate between the two more easily than in the Kindle APP, where all you get are two identical tiles of text

(I initially posted my thoughts on eReaders in the wrong thread, reposting here)

(in reply to Rob)
Post #: 172
RE: eReaders - 8/2/2012 1:33:44 PM   
Invader_Ace

quote:

ORIGINAL: squeezyrider

I don't know about you but I used to have a number of little psychological barriers that stopped me from picking up a book. Can I be arsed finding my page, am I sure this is where I get up to, will I be able to get to the end of this chapter etc. Now if I'm in a queue for five or ten minuutes I just turn my Kindle on and start reading.

hmmm have you perhaps never heard of a Book Mark?

I will never get an eReader! Luddites Unite!

(in reply to squeezyrider)
Post #: 173
RE: eReaders - 9/2/2012 12:02:54 PM   
Funkyrae

I have a Kindle. Love it, it's perfect for when I have to go into hospital, it's not going to take up valuable space in a suitcase if I go anywhere. It's great, I love it. Will I ever stop reading books? Nope. There's something wonderfully comforting about turning a page.

Besides, the books I review for HNS are in book format.

Now I CAN see a time coming when there will be far fewer books around, from an environmental perspective it makes perfect sense to make books electronic. The amount of books pulped in a year is absolutely horrendous. It's certainly in the millions and when you think of the amount of energy expended in creating the books in the first place to then end up pulping later it's really quite ridiculous.

I won't get rid of the books I already have though, and yes I am still buying more. I just find myself debating now whether I'd prefer it on Kindle or in paper form.

Last Kindle purchase was the third in the Abarat series by Clive Barker. I enjoyed it, wasn't one of his best works, but I think part of the problem there is that the books are fully illustrated with Barker's art. That's not something you get on the Kindle version.

That's me that is!

(in reply to Invader_Ace)
Post #: 174
RE: eReaders - 26/2/2012 9:10:53 PM   
benmharper

Got myself a kindle this week. It's an awesome little thing ain't it?

Downloaded Tina Fey's bossypants and the first Jack Reacher book today. I just need to finish the my old fashioned paper version of A Clash of Kings first.

#3 member of The Wire fan club. PM Dantes Inferno to join.

(in reply to Funkyrae)
Post #: 175
RE: eReaders - 6/3/2012 1:19:02 PM   
Rob

My Kindle has just died and it's out of warranty so not sure what to do. I mostly read on my iPad but the Kindle was still getting a fair bit of use on the tube and for the first time since having one my girlfriend now wants to use it - typical.

(in reply to benmharper)
Post #: 176
RE: eReaders - 6/3/2012 3:22:17 PM   
Chief

I think it would be worth chancing your arm with Amazon, drop them an email. They're customer service is usually pretty good.

(in reply to Professor Moriarty)
Post #: 177
RE: eReaders - 6/3/2012 3:41:29 PM   
Rob

I tried speaking to them and the best they can do is offer me a Kindle Keyboard for 40 which is pretty good I guess but seeing as it's more for the girlfriend than me I'm undecided.

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 178
RE: eReaders - 7/3/2012 1:36:09 PM   
Super Hans

I don't know if anyone else is as late as me jumping on the Laarson bandwagon, but I've just spotted that The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo is only 20p at the moment.  Thought I'd have it for that price - costs more than that to go for a piss in Kings Cross station nowdays I think!

"Its staring at you in the face Mark, there's only one more sex to try..."

(in reply to Rob)
Post #: 179
RE: eReaders - 31/3/2012 4:10:56 AM   
MI Cruise

Just bought a Kindle, was going to wait for the Touch but after seeing reviews for it it looks like it has a poor touchscreen and I only want it for reading so all the other bits and bobs dont really interest me.

EDIT: also recieved 2 off towards music downloads, seems pointless really should have been a 2 discount off towards books

< Message edited by MI Cruise -- 31/3/2012 4:14:54 AM >

www.letterboxd.com/micruise1/films/

(in reply to Super Hans)
Post #: 180
Page:   <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> RE: eReaders Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI