Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: eReaders

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> RE: eReaders Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: eReaders - 9/6/2011 3:54:23 PM   
keithyt1999

Honestly? I'd never read it before but I am finding it pretty easy to get into due to its familiarity.

None of you seem to understand, I'm not locked in here with you, you're locked in here with me!

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 91
RE: eReaders - 9/6/2011 4:23:31 PM   
sharkboy

Rob, you've got a PM

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to keithyt1999)
Post #: 92
RE: eReaders - 9/6/2011 4:36:53 PM   
Rob

Thanks buddy!

Same thing happened to me when I played Neil Armstrong in Moonshot. They found me in an alley in Burbank trying to re-enter the earth's atmosphere in an old refrigerator box.

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 93
RE: eReaders - 10/6/2011 10:45:15 AM   
Chief

quote:

ORIGINAL: keithyt1999

Honestly? I'd never read it beforebut I amfinding it pretty easy to get into due toitsfamiliarity.

Got to about 18% and binned it. I just found it really tedious once it moved away from the castle.

Post #: 94
RE: eReaders - 10/6/2011 3:45:53 PM   
doubtlesswonder

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chief

quote:

Honestly? I'd never read it before but I am finding it pretty easy to get into due to its familiarity.

Got to about 18% and binned it. I just found it really tedious once it moved away from the castle.

I agree. I gave up on it becaise all the letters from the girlfriend talking about how many men wanted to court her and what she'd been learning just bored me senseless.

quote:

homersimpson_esq
"Will someone please get this motherfuckin' horcrux outta this motherfuckin' snake."

quote:

homersimpson_esq
"See Mr Grey.
See Mr Grey abuse women.
Run women, run."

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 95
RE: eReaders - 13/6/2011 11:41:22 AM   
Chief

Exactly where I chucked it.

Post #: 96
RE: eReaders - 14/6/2011 11:58:19 AM   
keithyt1999

I'm not sure how you navigate to this "chart" as I can't seem to find it again when clicking through the Kindle store options but I stumbled across this "Movers and Shakers" list.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/movers-and-shakers/digital-text/ref=zg_bsms_tab

I thought this might be a handy tool to help spot when certain higher profile books are at a reduced price. I'm guessing their percentage sales go up significantly when that happens...

None of you seem to understand, I'm not locked in here with you, you're locked in here with me!

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 97
RE: eReaders - 14/6/2011 4:40:44 PM   
doubtlesswonder

quote:

I'm not sure how you navigate to this "chart" as I can't seem to find it again when clicking through the Kindle store options but I stumbled across this "Movers and Shakers" list.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/movers-and-shakers/digital-text/ref=zg_bsms_tab

I thought this might be a handy tool to help spot when certain higher profile books are at a reduced price. I'm guessing their percentage sales go up significantly when that happens...

Ooh, that's cool. Thanks for that!

In a similar vein, I signed up for this website: http://www.ereaderiq.co.uk/

They send regular emails with details of free books for the Kindle. It's mostly self-help books and stuff like that, but I've found a few books that sounds interesting that I never would've found otherwise (plus, they're free, so if they suck it didn't cost me anything) and I got The Life of Pi for free after it was included on one of the emails.

< Message edited by doubtlesswonder -- 23/6/2011 6:19:38 PM >

quote:

homersimpson_esq
"Will someone please get this motherfuckin' horcrux outta this motherfuckin' snake."

quote:

homersimpson_esq
"See Mr Grey.
See Mr Grey abuse women.
Run women, run."

Post #: 98
RE: eReaders - 17/7/2011 5:56:14 PM   
doubtlesswonder

I just started reading A Game of Thrones on my Kindle and it's the first book I've read on it. I've noticed a few little spelling and grammar errors, which kind of bug me a bit because they sort of take me out of the story for a moment. Has anyone else noticed this in any of their Kindle books?

quote:

homersimpson_esq

quote:

homersimpson_esq
"See Mr Grey.
See Mr Grey abuse women.
Run women, run."

(in reply to doubtlesswonder)
Post #: 99
RE: eReaders - 17/7/2011 6:25:33 PM   
bobatim

quote:

ORIGINAL: doubtlesswonder

I just started reading A Game of Thrones on my Kindle and it's the first book I've read on it. I've noticed a few little spelling and grammar errors, which kind of bug me a bit because they sort of take me out of the story for a moment. Has anyone else noticed this in any of their Kindle books?

I've noticed it too, doubtlesswonder, but only with the Game of Thrones and A Clash of Kings. I've also read Dracula, Lies of Locke Lamora and Girl With The Dragon Tattoo on mine and they were all fine.

Is he died?

www.penultimateuniverse.blogspot.com

Post #: 100
RE: eReaders - 18/7/2011 1:32:41 AM   
doubtlesswonder

quote:

ORIGINAL: bobatim

quote:

I've noticed it too, doubtlesswonder, but only with the Game of Thrones and A Clash of Kings. I've also read Dracula, Lies of Locke Lamora and Girl With The Dragon Tattoo on mine and they were all fine.

It's not often, but every now and then there's a random comma in the middle of a sentence or a word is spelt wrong and it bugs me a little. The worst culprit is that I keep seeing Thome instead of Thorne. Glad to hear you've only noticed it with two books, though. Since it's two books from the same series, I guess it's a fault with the editors or publishers or something.

quote:

homersimpson_esq

quote:

homersimpson_esq
"See Mr Grey.
See Mr Grey abuse women.
Run women, run."

(in reply to bobatim)
Post #: 101
RE: eReaders - 24/7/2011 1:57:18 PM   
Super Hans

My wife started a new job a couple of weeks back and through luck of timing, she as effectively ended up getting paid for 2 full months of work (last one from her old job, first one at her new one) and being the beautiful, generous soul that she is, surprised me with a Kindle as a pressie! Literally just got it charged up, connected to the wifi and ready to go.

Due to having a holiday to save for, I may have to hammer the free and cheap books for now but the novelty factor might help me get through some of the classics I've never read but probably should have!

"Its staring at you in the face Mark, there's only one more sex to try..."

Post #: 102
RE: eReaders - 25/7/2011 2:10:07 PM   
Chief

quote:

quote:

quote:

I just started reading A Game of Throneson my Kindle and it's the first book I've read on it. I've noticed a few little spelling and grammar errors, which kind of bug me a bit because they sort of take me out of the story for a moment. Has anyone else noticed this in any of their Kindle books?

It's not often, but every now and then there's a random comma in the middle of a sentence or a word is spelt wrong and it bugs me a little. The worst culprit is that I keep seeing Thome instead of Thorne. Glad to hear you've only noticed it with two books, though. Since it's two books from the same series, I guess it's a fault with the editors or publishers or something.

I posted the exact same thing in the Game of Thrones thread! I think it's a case of the hard copy getting scanned in rather than typed again as most of the errors are kind of visually similar - case in point the 'rn' in Thorne looking like an 'm'.

Post #: 103
RE: eReaders - 25/7/2011 7:50:17 PM   
doubtlesswonder

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I posted the exact same thing in the Game of Thrones thread! I think it's a case of the hard copy getting scanned in rather than typed again as most of the errors are kind of visually similar - case in point the 'rn' in Thorne looking like an 'm'.

That's what I thought. It's just silly little spelling mistakes and commas and capital letters in random places.

quote:

homersimpson_esq

quote:

homersimpson_esq
"See Mr Grey.
See Mr Grey abuse women.
Run women, run."

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 104
RE: eReaders - 2/8/2011 12:41:36 AM   
doubtlesswonder

Just out of curiosity, has anyone tried taking something they've downloaded off of one Kindle and putting it on another?

quote:

homersimpson_esq

quote:

homersimpson_esq
"See Mr Grey.
See Mr Grey abuse women.
Run women, run."

Post #: 105
RE: eReaders - 2/8/2011 9:06:24 AM   
sharkboy

Are you talking about books you've bought from Amazon or, ahem, acquired elsewhere?  If its the former then you have to register the other kindle against your account, then you can just do it all through your MyKindle page on Amazon (there are other ways, but not for open discussion on the forum - PM is fine though ).

If there are no DRM issues, then install Calibre, plug in the first Kindle to set up your library then simply plug in the second to transfer the books across

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

Post #: 106
RE: eReaders - 2/8/2011 7:37:23 PM   
doubtlesswonder

PM sent 

quote:

homersimpson_esq

quote:

homersimpson_esq
"See Mr Grey.
See Mr Grey abuse women.
Run women, run."

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 107
RE: eReaders - 30/8/2011 2:50:49 PM   
MBeard

My Kindle has died. It is stuck on the screensaver and literally won't do a thing :(

PM me for Xbox Live Details!

Post #: 108
RE: eReaders - 30/8/2011 3:58:50 PM   
Chief

Ouch. Is there a reset button?

Post #: 109
RE: eReaders - 30/8/2011 4:36:10 PM   
MBeard

quote:

Ouch. Is there a reset button?

Nope. I've seen recommendations to hold the reset button for up to 30 seconds but no luck at the moment. I've got it charging now so will see if that helps it.

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 110
RE: eReaders - 31/8/2011 3:58:17 PM   
sharkboy

I once had the same problem with my Kindle.  Apparently this can happen if your battery is pretty much exhausted.  Try plugging your Kindle in before you take it out of sleep mode.  Alternatively, if you hold the power button for about 15 seconds it should reboot.  If it doesn't work the first time try it again (look for the green light when you slide the switch!) and keep holding until the screen flashes and the reboot screen comes on (it's the Amazon logo with the tree below it and a progress bar at the bottom of the screen).  Once the window flashes white, plug in the charger and let it charge for a couple of hours. 

WWLD?

(in reply to MBeard)
Post #: 111
RE: eReaders - 2/9/2011 12:16:12 PM   
MBeard

So yesterday I phoned Kindle Support who deemed the Kindle indeed to be f*cked.

So now, it's 24 hours later and I have a replacement in my hand. You can't fault that for service!

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 112
RE: eReaders - 17/9/2011 11:32:35 AM   
HIroProtagonist

quote:

I just started reading A Game of Throneson my Kindle and it's the first book I've read on it. I've noticed a few little spelling and grammar errors, which kind of bug me a bit because they sort of take me out of the story for a moment. Has anyone else noticed this in any of their Kindle books?

I was one of the fortunate few who managed to grab a copy of Neal Stephensons Reamde about a month ago, when someone at Amazon set it to available, rather than available to pre-order. [it's "officially" released on Monday]. Within the first 50 pages there were multiple typos [that weren't plot related], broken tables etc, etc.

Contacted Amazon, with an email showing the errors [I highlighted them all, shared them via my Kindle account, and sent Amazon the link] and after about a day they:

• Sent me an email apologizing.
  • Agreed to refund the cost of the eBook.
  • Agreed to credit 5 to my Amazon account.
  • Agreed to send me a free replacement copy of the eBook.

Which seems more than fair. To ensure Stephenson gets some of my money [I'm a big, big fan] I've ordered a hardcover copy of the book.

Last Five Films at the Cinema:
True Grit
Never Let Me Go.
The Fighter.
127 Hours.
The Kings Speech.

Post #: 113
RE: eReaders - 17/9/2011 6:27:19 PM   
doubtlesswonder

quote:

ORIGINAL: HIroProtagonist

quote:

I was one of the fortunate few who managed to grab a copy of Neal Stephensons Reamde about a month ago, when someone at Amazon set it to available, rather than available to pre-order. [it's "officially" released on Monday]. Within the first 50 pages there were multiple typos [that weren't plot related], broken tables etc, etc.

Contacted Amazon, with an email showing the errors [I highlighted them all, shared them via my Kindle account, and sent Amazon the link] and after about a day they:
  • Sent me an email apologizing.
  • Agreed to refund the cost of the eBook.
  • Agreed to credit 5 to my Amazon account.
  • Agreed to send me a free replacement copy of the eBook.

Which seems more than fair. To ensure Stephenson gets some of my money [I'm a big, big fan] I've ordered a hardcover copy of the book.

Bloody hell, that's good of them! Maybe I'll try that!

quote:

homersimpson_esq

quote:

homersimpson_esq
"See Mr Grey.
See Mr Grey abuse women.
Run women, run."

(in reply to HIroProtagonist)
Post #: 114
RE: eReaders - 4/10/2011 12:47:58 PM   
sharkboy

So, what do people think of the new range of Kindles that should be coming our way soon?  In addition to the 89 Kindle that's already been released here, Amazon have 3 new models lined up for a Stateside launch next month - 2 touchscreen Kindles and the Kindle Fire, their entry into the colour media tablet market.  Apparently its unlikely that they'll see the light of day over here until after xmas, but they're crazy good value in the US, with the Fire going for a mere $199.  No doubt when it makes it here it'll be a straight dollar to pound pricing with the UK consumers being shafted again.

Here's the Fire:

WWLD?

Post #: 115
RE: eReaders - 4/10/2011 1:18:02 PM   
Professor Moriarty

As I don't have a tablet, I will definitely be checking out the specs of the Fire in more detail when it is released and seeing if it can do enough for me as a tablet.

I have a phone, a camera, an eReader, a PSP, a Playstation 3 and a laptop. So there is a lot of functionality that I really don't need that the iPad and other tablets have, but you are obviously paying for. So as a machine to browse the web, play films, read magazines and books this might work for me.

I'd definitely like to check it out when it is released, as I have a couple of minor reservations (like can it really be used as a reader or is the screen too shiny and if I can't then use it so much on the bus/outside, etc. is the portability of the 7" screen not an advantage anymore and a limitation on the display size) etc.

But as a device that has got me thinking about a Tablet that is not an iPad, this and the Sony device have me both interested for different reasons.

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 116
RE: eReaders - 4/10/2011 1:23:49 PM   
Hobbitonlass

When I first got my kindle I was forever touching the screen thinking it was touchscreen

I have an iPad but it is rubbish for reading on in bright sunlight whereas the kindle is superb so it would be really good if they could keep that with the new colour touchscreen but I'm happy with what I have got

Come join in the Photo competition http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3116407&mpage=1&key=

(in reply to Professor Moriarty)
Post #: 117
RE: eReaders - 4/10/2011 2:18:46 PM   
Rob

I think the Kindle Fire looks great but I'd imagine it'll be quite a while until we see it over here. Given that the only digital content Amazon currently offers UK consumers is books and music there's a lot of licensing work that needs to be put in place for this to be a success.

Once that's done though it will no doubt be a huge success.

As for the Kindle Touch and the revamped Kindle I think both look great.

I must admit I prefer reading books on the iPad but in sunlight it's utterly useless so I do keep my Kindle (or Kindle keyboard as it's now known) to hand.

Same thing happened to me when I played Neil Armstrong in Moonshot. They found me in an alley in Burbank trying to re-enter the earth's atmosphere in an old refrigerator box.

(in reply to Hobbitonlass)
Post #: 118
RE: eReaders - 4/10/2011 4:13:40 PM   
Chief

Love my Kindle but like the sound of the Kindle Fire as well. Movies on the go would be great, just took a fairly bulky mini-DVD player (and discs) to Gran Canaria so I reckon this would be handy for things like that.

Post #: 119
RE: eReaders - 20/10/2011 9:38:05 AM   
Chief

I had an idea this morning to start up a Kindle loan thread on here but after looking on Amazon I found that it isn't available in the UK.

Curses Amazon, CURSES!!!!

<Fist shake>

Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> RE: eReaders Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI