Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

eReaders

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> eReaders Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
eReaders - 11/7/2010 7:37:20 PM   
Professor Moriarty

Anyone any experience with the Sony Reader or Kimble?

I'm considering getting one as my books just take up too much room and, hey its a gadget.
Post #: 1
RE: eReaders - 22/7/2010 4:14:36 PM   
Toby Monroe

I've got a Kindle. It's good fun. They've just applied some sort of software update to it and now the web browsing, which is free, has really opened up. Before it was just access to wikipedia, but now there's Google, and from there the world! It's supposed to connect through 3G, but mine rarely does, it normally connects through gprs.

Shopping for books via the kindle store is a doddle, simply make your selection and then bosh they magic it over to you. You barely have time to scratch your balls.

The screen looks like real paper, no glare what so ever. You can alter the text size as well if your eyes aren't up to much. All in all it's great.

Fit or Fugly score: 3/10

(in reply to Professor Moriarty)
Post #: 2
RE: eReaders - 22/7/2010 6:03:20 PM   
Peppermint

I've got the Sony one and it's currently my favourite toy

Downloading books onto it is easy with Adobe Digital Editions.

"Dr Jackson's gonna die when he sees this."

"What, again?"

Post #: 3
RE: eReaders - 23/7/2010 1:08:13 PM   
Toby Monroe

You get a text-to-speech feature with the Kindle. If you buy A Brief History of Time and turn it on it's as if Stephen Hawking himself is right there with you. Can the Sony do that Peppermint?

Fit or Fugly score: 3/10

(in reply to Peppermint)
Post #: 4
RE: eReaders - 23/7/2010 1:26:53 PM   
Peppermint

No, but I still like it, even though it can't make me a coffee either

"What, again?"

(in reply to Toby Monroe)
Post #: 5
RE: eReaders - 23/7/2010 1:35:52 PM   
Sexual Harassment Panda

I won a Sony eReader earlier this year, it was very very nice indeed. The leather case I also got free with it made it even better, it had a glass panel in it that you folded over onto the screen that then backlit to make the screen readable at night, and because of this method the effect of the paper look screen wasn't ruined.

Very well built, very easy to use, very sleek looking, and a decent size too.

Sold it however as I have no need for one.

It also had the ability to play music and audiobooks. I don't see the point in any other features, the audio option means you can play some music while reading on the train for example to drown out the noise of others. If you want any other features, just spend more and go the whole hog and get an iPad.

Ole Gunnar Solskj�r - 1996-2007

Member of the MW2 Star 69 Club
Member of the CoD4 Mile High Club

(in reply to Peppermint)
Post #: 6
RE: eReaders - 29/7/2010 11:55:38 AM   
Dirty Hartigan

Have to admit, slightly tempted by the newer cheaper Kindles coming out soon.

(in reply to Sexual Harassment Panda)
Post #: 7
RE: eReaders - 29/7/2010 1:36:28 PM   
Super Hans

I had thought about one of these in the past but wrote them off as being a bit pricey (upwards of a £200 I thought) but these £149 Kindles look pretty good.... it's quite cool that the 3G usage is free too.  The battery life sounds good too - that was a bit of a question of mine too (I mean, a paperback won't run out of power will it??).

I saw on another thread that sometone mentioned that you can get  magazine/newspaper subscriptions on them too, is that right?  Are the ebooks cheaper to buy than regular books?

Too be honest, with the amount of clutter my books and magazines create in our 2 bedroom flat, I'm starting to think these might actually be a good idea....

"Its staring at you in the face Mark, there's only one more sex to try..."

Post #: 8
RE: eReaders - 29/7/2010 7:17:20 PM   
DancingClown

Don't you guys miss the simple tactile pleasure of holding the book in your hands, turning the pages, etc? Do you miss the artifact, as it were? Just wondering. While I like the idea  of economising space I do find it a little sad. The traditional definition of sad, that is. 

Astronomic Tune Boy

'The town knew darkness, and darkness was enough.'

"Storm just bleeewwww me away..."

(in reply to Super Hans)
Post #: 9
RE: eReaders - 29/7/2010 9:57:40 PM   
Peppermint

Yeah, I do miss holding books a bit, but mostly I find my e-reader easier to manage due to the fact that I've got limited movement in my hands.

"What, again?"

(in reply to DancingClown)
Post #: 10
RE: eReaders - 30/7/2010 6:13:39 PM   
Professor Moriarty

I put the new Kindle on my Christmas present list. Don't really see why I wanna pay an extra 40 squids for 3G though, think WiFi will do.

I get the idea of the tactile aspect of a book. But to be quite honest a lot of the books I read are around 400-500 pages and I often find them pretty unwieldy.

Newspaper subscription would be cool, but I think the B&W aspect of the readers limits its attraction to magazines. Maybe something like The Economist would work, but something like Empire with glossy pics would be a bit of a let down.

(in reply to Peppermint)
Post #: 11
RE: eReaders - 6/8/2010 12:00:59 PM   
Blunderbuss

I've ordered the Kindle with 3G connectivity.  As I travel quite a bit on business having the ability to download books without having to hunt down a wi-fi hotspot will come in useful from time to time, but I can understand why most people would want to stick with the wi-fi only version and save a few quid.

To be honest I had resisted e-readers until Amazon released the Kindle in the UK.  The cost was one factor.  £200+ was too much IMO for the likes of the Sony e-reader considering the functionality and the availability of books for download.  I'm also a bit of a luddite when it comes to books.  I like the feel of a novel in my hands; it has to be one of the best tactile sensations out there.  There's also a reason why the book has survived as a medium for so long; it works.  It portable, affordable, flexible, resilient and doesn't require batteries.  Whether you're on a plane, in bed, on the beach or in the middle of the desert as long as you have light you can read a book.

That being said when the Kindle reached the UK I decided to give it a try.  I hate throwing or giving books away but if I kept a copy of every book I read I'd quickly run out of shelf-space so for a while now any paperback I've read ,with a few exceptions, has been sent to charity (hardbacks, if I've enjoyed them, get kept).  Having a Kindle and downloading books removes the storage issue at a stroke.  Rather than having to give away a book when I'm done I can simply store it just in case I get the itch to read it again in the future (or want to let a family member read it).  I'll still buy hardbacks and the odd book that isn't available digitally but I will not have to spend half my life building shelves to store dogeared copies of trashy thrillers and the like.

Oh and when I do travel on business or holiday I will not have to weigh ms luggage down with numerous books to make sure I don't run out of reading material.  A couple of hardbacks maybe and the rest on the Kindle...

"oh you don't want to shoot him. You'll just make him mad"

Post #: 12
RE: eReaders - 8/8/2010 10:40:29 AM   
Super Hans

quote:

ORIGINAL: DancingClown

Don't you guys miss the simple tactile pleasure of holding the book in your hands, turning the pages, etc? Do you miss the artifact, as it were? Just wondering. While I like the idea  of economising space I do find it a little sad. The traditional definition of sad, that is. 

quote:

ms

I think I'm like that in a lot of senses, in that I do love buying actual books and holding a book to read it. But then, I also love buying and owning CDs but I still put them straight onto my iPod and listen tothem that way for 99% of the time. It's mainly the lack of room I have for them in the flat though that makes me tempted by the Kindle! I don't think I'd stop buying books completely though - comic books just wouldn't be the same digitally and stuff like autobiographies (with the nice photos) and non fiction I'd probably still buy. Its all the paperback novels that it would be great for.

I'm still undecided though as I do love going out to the shops, browsing and buying books.

"Its staring at you in the face Mark, there's only one more sex to try..."

(in reply to DancingClown)
Post #: 13
RE: eReaders - 16/8/2010 11:40:39 PM   
doubtlesswonder

quote:

ORIGINAL: Super Hans

I think I'm like that in a lot of senses, in that I do love buying actual books and holding a book to read it. But then, I also love buying and owning CDs but I still put them straight onto my iPod and listen tothem that way for 99% of the time. It's mainly the lack of room I have for them in the flat though that makes me tempted by the Kindle! I don't think I'd stop buying books completely though - comic books just wouldn't be the same digitally and stuff like autobiographies (with the nice photos) and non fiction I'd probably still buy. Its all the paperback novels that it would be great for.

I'm still undecided though as I do love going out to the shops, browsing and buying books.

I'm much the same of you. I collect hardbacks, actually. It's something my friends make fun of me for, because sometimes I have more than one copy of the same book (I have 3 full series in different editions of the Harry Potter books and the first four books in yet another edition). So, from that point of view, I don't like the idea of e-readers.

But, I have to admit that it would make travelling easier. Since most of my books are hardbacks, it can weight the luggage down a bit going on holiday.

The Kindle does look like a decent piece of kit, and I also like the idea of being able to make notes, and keep clippings from newspaper or magazine articles.

I'm still undecided.

quote:

homersimpson_esq
"Will someone please get this motherfuckin' horcrux outta this motherfuckin' snake."

quote:

homersimpson_esq
"See Mr Grey.
See Mr Grey abuse women.
Run women, run."

(in reply to Super Hans)
Post #: 14
RE: eReaders - 12/9/2010 9:43:36 PM   
doubtlesswonder

I've been taking another closer look at the Kindle lately. I took two hardback books on holiday with me, and came back with three more paperbacks, so obviously that adds a bit of weight to the luggage. I generally only keep hardbacks at home, since I collect them, so I figure that if there's anything I want to read that I would get in paperback, then it would be much easier to download it to the Kindle.

I'm intrigued by the Wi-Fi and free 3G. Is the 3G really necessary when most places offer free Wi-Fi?

Also, is the Wi-Fi free in all countries? If I went on holiday to the States, and connected to Wi-Fi to download a book, would I have to pay for that since I'm out of the UK? How about with 3G?

quote:

homersimpson_esq
"Will someone please get this motherfuckin' horcrux outta this motherfuckin' snake."

quote:

homersimpson_esq
"See Mr Grey.
See Mr Grey abuse women.
Run women, run."

(in reply to doubtlesswonder)
Post #: 15
RE: eReaders - 11/10/2010 3:16:49 PM   
Badgers

I currently use the 'Stanza' app on my iphone, which works really well, although i haven't used a proper eReader yet so can't comment on the comparisons. I'm interested in the Kindle but what kind of prices are the books going for? Also, using Stanza there are thousands of free books, mainly users self published content but also all of the classics, do you get the same thing on the Kindle?

Stuntcock!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kilo_T_Mortal

Just let me know where and when.

Post #: 16
RE: eReaders - 11/10/2010 4:20:51 PM   
sharkboy

The Kindle rocks!  Seriously, I've used mine pretty much every day since I got it and have yet to find fault with it.  EBooks on Amazon vary in price from around £7-8 for new "hardbacks" or £3-4 for a new title on paperback release (pretty comparable to the paper versions really) to free for a lot of the classics.  Other sites such as Project Gutenberg also offer up kindle-formatted copies of thousands of books all for free.  You can also use software such as Calibre (which is also free and very user friendly) to manage your e-library and convert books into the appropriate format, so even if you already have a substantial amount of books for another reader, calibre can still get them onto the Kindle for you.

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to Badgers)
Post #: 17
RE: eReaders - 11/10/2010 5:45:43 PM   
pedros

I got a new kindle, and it is a really decent piece of kit but I'm yet to be completely convinced. I love the size of it, and with the leather cover it just looks lovely. I also loved the way that when I opened the box I went to take the sticker off the screen, and then realised it wasn't a sticker but actual text on the screen! Have bought a few books from amazon and downloading them couldn't be simpler, and I also love the way you can get sample chapters.

However, the amount of typos and formatting errors in some of the books is ridiculous - I read the Temeraire sample and couldn't help noticing the amount of punctuation and spacing errors. I also just read the new Ken Follett book "Fall of Giants" (800 pages in hardback, so one major plus of the kindle is that I didn't have to lug that brick to Hong Kong with me!) and every time it mentions a major location in the book called Tŷ Gwyn, the word Tŷ was in a massive font, presumably because of the accent. It certainly didn't make the book unreadable, but it was pretty annoying. Also the choice of books is quite annoying, as alot of books that I already have are available on kindle, and alot of books that I want aren't available. This is obviously more of a personal thing and this won't apply to everyone, but when I was making the decision to buy one I did check that several books I wanted were available, then when I bought it they weren't on there anymore. Very frustrating. Finally, I didn't think this would be an issue at all, but I miss different books using different fonts, as it kind of gives them more personality.

I'm sure all these issues will be ironed out in time, and if I knew all this to begin with I would probably still have bought one as it is still pretty cool.

I'd rather see Dave Lee Travis play Macbeth.

Hey, wha' happened???

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 18
RE: eReaders - 15/10/2010 11:07:59 AM   
talpacino

I'll be getting a Kindle for my mother for Christmas, she goes through a few books a week so it will be perfect for her.
However, her eyesight wouldn't be the best so I'm a little weary until I can have a look at one properly. Anyone familiar with them, how are the screens? Is the text big enough without her having to scroll across each line?

Currahee!

It's a different film. It's a very different film! It's a different shark!

Suppose I shot ya..How'd that be?

(in reply to pedros)
Post #: 19
RE: eReaders - 15/10/2010 11:28:52 AM   
sharkboy

The screens are very clear and easy to read, plus there's no backlighting to cause glare.  You can increase or decrease font size very easily and it reformats the page accordingly so there's no scrolling required - just use the page forward or page back buttons

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to talpacino)
Post #: 20
RE: eReaders - 15/10/2010 11:32:06 AM   
talpacino

Great, that sounds perfect. Cheers.
I look forward to spending hours over Christmas showing her how it works.

Currahee!

It's a different film. It's a very different film! It's a different shark!

Suppose I shot ya..How'd that be?

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 21
RE: eReaders - 26/10/2010 2:47:42 PM   
alameals

Does anyone who has a Kindle know if these have back lighting to read in the dark/bed??

http://www.twitter.com/Lpoolfilmnerd

(in reply to talpacino)
Post #: 22
RE: eReaders - 27/10/2010 9:39:56 AM   
sharkboy

They don't have any backlighting, but you can get a small clip-on book light in the pound shop that does the job admirably

WWLD?

(in reply to alameals)
Post #: 23
RE: eReaders - 27/10/2010 10:29:15 AM   
alameals

quote:

ORIGINAL: sharkboy

They don't have any backlighting, but you can get a small clip-on book light in the pound shop that does the job admirably

Makes me want the Sony one then

http://www.twitter.com/Lpoolfilmnerd

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 24
RE: eReaders - 29/10/2010 7:21:12 PM   
doubtlesswonder

Alrighy, I have a question.

My Kindle came today, but I'm not allowed it until Christmas, since it's my main present. So, this means I'm not allowed to play with it. But I was wondering about downloading books. I know I can buy them from my Amazon account on my computer and they will be sent to my Kindle. But does my Kindle have to be switched on? What I mean is can I buy a few books now so that they'll already be on there when I charge it up after I open it on Christmas, or do I need to have my Kindle switched on when I buy them?

quote:

homersimpson_esq

quote:

homersimpson_esq
"See Mr Grey.
See Mr Grey abuse women.
Run women, run."

(in reply to alameals)
Post #: 25
RE: eReaders - 31/10/2010 6:40:34 PM   
pedros

quote:

ORIGINAL: doubtlesswonder

My Kindle came today, but I'm not allowed it until Christmas, since it's my main present. So, this means I'm not allowed to play with it. But I was wondering about downloading books. I know I can buy them from my Amazon account on my computer and they will be sent to my Kindle. But does my Kindle have to be switched on? What I mean is can I buy a few books now so that they'll already be on there when I charge it up after I open it on Christmas, or do I need to have my Kindle switched on when I buy them?

No, you have to connect with either 3g or wifi  to sync so that the books download to the kindle. The good news is that firstly when you take the kindle out of the box it is already powered up so you can use it straight away without having to wait for it to charge, and secondly the books literally take seconds to download. So whatever books you buy now can be on your kindle within minutes of you taking it out of the box.

I'd rather see Dave Lee Travis play Macbeth.

Hey, wha' happened???

Post #: 26
RE: eReaders - 31/10/2010 8:52:38 PM   
doubtlesswonder

quote:

ORIGINAL: pedros

quote:

ORIGINAL: doubtlesswonder

No, you have to connect with either 3g or wifi  to sync so that the books download to the kindle. The good news is that firstly when you take the kindle out of the box it is already powered up so you can use it straight away without having to wait for it to charge, and secondly the books literally take seconds to download. So whatever books you buy now can be on your kindle within minutes of you taking it out of the box.

It's already fully powered? I expected to have to have it on charge for hours before I could use it. That's good news. I'd better leave it to be opened last on Christmas, otherwise I'll be completely lost and ignore everything else.

quote:

homersimpson_esq

quote:

homersimpson_esq
"See Mr Grey.
See Mr Grey abuse women.
Run women, run."

(in reply to pedros)
Post #: 27
RE: eReaders - 23/11/2010 1:07:20 PM   
Chief

Sneaking suspicion that I might get a Kindle for Xmas.

Awesome.

Post #: 28
RE: eReaders - 23/11/2010 1:59:07 PM   
Rob

Does anyone use the Kindle app on their iPhone / iPad? I've tried on my iphone but it won't let me buy anything as it automatically defaults to the US Amazon store.

Also does the Kindle have a graphic representation of the books you've purchased ala iBooks? I'm getting increasingly tempted to get one.

Same thing happened to me when I played Neil Armstrong in Moonshot. They found me in an alley in Burbank trying to re-enter the earth's atmosphere in an old refrigerator box.

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 29
RE: eReaders - 2/12/2010 11:35:31 AM   
MBeard

I've bought my Dad a Kindle for christmas and have been setting it up for him so it's ready for Xmas Day. I must admit, I'm much more impressed than I ever thought I would be.

Makes me tempted to keep it and get him something else ;)

PM me for Xbox Live Details!

(in reply to Rob)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> eReaders Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI