Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: How difficult is it to make a Predator Movie??

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: How difficult is it to make a Predator Movie?? Page: <<   < prev  5 6 7 8 [9]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: How difficult is it to make a Predator Movie?? - 4/4/2012 11:54:10 PM   
YouWillBeUnprepared

Listen here; AVPR was a carbon copy of all of the Alien and Predator films we've seen, so of course it's one star was well deserved. But here, we're finally, after twenty five years of pyramids, small towns, and even deserts in the comics, it was nice to finally go back to the jungle where even the fans felt like they belong. It was nice to see atleast an attempt for a new predator film for redemption of the much abliged AVP series, especially being the sequel that was 'fashionably late', and was probably the sequel we wanted to see all along. Trust me, If it weren't for this film, 'AVP Threequiem' would give you something to complain about.

(in reply to JayCbee)
Post #: 241
RE: How difficult is it to make a Predator Movie?? - 5/4/2012 12:16:01 AM   
Phubbs

From the off this film is very much in tone with the original Arnie vehicle, the entire musical score is the same as the first film just a little more upbeat and its great, brings the whole thing home and makes you feel comfortable. As the film goes along there are hints at the first film, quite a long speech about it actually, this obviously tells us this is set after 'Predator' but I'm unsure if its before 'Predator 2' (I think after), there is also alittle idea taken from 'AvP' with the Predator wrist gauntlet tech using holographic images as seen in 'AvP'. There are plenty of other references to the first film throughout with scenes being taken straight from 'Predator', cam angles and 'pred vision' shots, dialog being used again....'over here!' 'turn around!' and the plot of course being virtually the same, but it works, this isn't a forced cash-in like 'AvP'.

The plot as said is reworked and very predictable, you know whats gonna happen and you know who's gonna die and survive but that's not a problem, like the first film its been made well and has that gun totting, 80's testosterone filled madness which somehow works haha this film fits perfectly with 'Predator' and 'Predator 2' as it zips along...maybe alittle too fast.

The characters are decent and well acted, Fishburne being the best for me with his crazy ramblings and Goggins being creepy as hell haha unfortunately Brody is miscast and really can't do the hard man routine, both he and Braga try way too hard to be tough or 'Vasquez-like' and its abit cringing at times, personally for me that was a misfire. You do feel some characters needed more time to grow but I guess that could be put down to good writing as you wanna see more of them, Trejo's death was too soon and surprisingly spooky too haha wanted just abit more of him but the idea of a big name going down early is cool. Some things didn't quite work though, the Yakuza sword fight was too dark ('AvP2' sprung too mind) and it seemed abit 'tacked on', Hanzo just stops out of the blue and decides to stand and fight? also the ending reveal with Edwin (Grace) was abit shitty for me, I didn't like how that character turned out. I was also disappointed with Fishburne's character, why did he smoke the rest out? simply because he was mad?? abit odd that.

As for design and looks its 50/50, the Predators look awesome and devilish, they come across as eerie and powerful and their new look designs are really nice, cross pred tech with tribal mercs, almost like Predator bounty hunters, very cool. The super black pred (without mask) jury's still out on that for me, his head seemed too big and he did still look kinda B-movie-ish.
Classic pred was fudging spot on, absolutely perfect and shows what 'AvP's' preds should have looked like damn it, kudos to RR and co for getting that 100%, highlight of the film
The down side was the game planet not being very 'alien like', it really didn't come across as an alien world accept for a few minor plants n bugs, could of done more there I think and maybe alittle more of previous hunts too, we had hints at that but I was aching to see other dead alien life and possible hints at Aliens or space jockeys haha maybe some more ancient human remains too (along with the samurai sword).

End of the day I really liked this new Predator chapter, despite some niggles it was damn good and I was pleasantly surprised after much worry hehe
The main issues I had were good ideas that weren't really taken advantage of and explored, Fishburne using predator tech being a glaring example of a seriously cool idea getting wasted. But it wrapped well with the possibility of a sequel to this chapter or of course an entirely new story set in the Predator universe, maybe acknowledging 'Predator 2' this time as it deserves.

< Message edited by Phubbs -- 5/4/2012 12:17:25 AM >

(in reply to YouWillBeUnprepared)
Post #: 242
RE: How difficult is it to make a Predator Movie?? - 21/4/2012 1:39:35 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

Predators was pretty decent but there were a couple of stupid moments, one was when the smaller Predator was taking on the bigger one why didn't Brody help him out? Together they could have taken it down and then buggered off on the ship??

Secondly when Brody sets fire to the surroundings to confuse the sensors of the big predator why did he then decide to attack it physically when he just could have rolled up with that fuck-off powerful automatic shotgun and blasted him in the head!

It was an enjoyable movie though and had that predator vibe, Fishburne was great and it was nice to see a minigun in action again - I'd agree that the the 'alien' planet looked like any old jungle though which was a bit shite. 3/5

(in reply to Phubbs)
Post #: 243
- 15/6/2012 10:56:03 AM   
silence1

“ The supposed true sequel to predator even though it came 25 years later. This movie takes the loved classic and literally takes it to another world. With a diverse set of characters spreading from a mercenary to a supposed doctor this movie gets your taste buds watering for blood and gore. Unfortunatly the predators aren't like the original and it does get silly at the end. I give this movie a 4.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 244
- 15/6/2012 10:56:04 AM   
silence1

“ The supposed true sequel to predator even though it came 25 years later. This movie takes the loved classic and literally takes it to another world. With a diverse set of characters spreading from a mercenary to a supposed doctor this movie gets your taste buds watering for blood and gore. Unfortunatly the predators aren't like the original and it does get silly at the end. I give this movie a 4.

Post #: 245
Re-make Masquerading As A Sequel - 26/4/2013 7:32:28 PM   
Litshttam

A clique of killers is stalked in an arboreal environment by 'something'... rings a bell...

Post #: 246
Page:   <<   < prev  5 6 7 8 [9]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: How difficult is it to make a Predator Movie?? Page: <<   < prev  5 6 7 8 [9]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI