Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Urghhh!

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Urghhh! Page: <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Urghhh! - 15/7/2010 4:11:21 PM   
Gretzky

quote:

ORIGINAL: CORLEONE

Can't understand the hate this is getting....

Me neither. Loved it so much saw it again on Tuesday after only seeing on Saturday. Would've loved to have been in the screening Deviation was in. Sounds like he was in a proper fanboy - or just plain appreciative - audience who 'gets' a fun film.

~ Formerly Ash_Boomstick
Female Film Fan

(in reply to CORLEONE)
Post #: 181
RE: Urghhh! - 15/7/2010 4:46:54 PM   
Deviation

There was some annoyed faces in the audience and I did overhear some comments which called it good, but mostly people seemed to enjoy it.

Reminds me why going to the cinema can be so great.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to Gretzky)
Post #: 182
RE: Urghhh! - 15/7/2010 5:20:16 PM   
Gazdance

I enjoyed Predators but there was no where near enough action for me. I felt that there was too much talking and that the film never really capitalises on its title or potential. I don't think any of the set pieces were stand outs. I wanted more Predators. There was no point in having such a slow build and reveal of the creatures since we know what they look like.

Fishburn's brief role was good but I can't help thinking how cool it would have been if they'd managed t have Arnie in there. Then again perhaps not.

As I said though, I did enjoy it but Arnie's original is still the best.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 183
Video Review - 15/7/2010 6:01:35 PM   
21stCenturyCat

I watched the film last night, I enjoyed it but my friend just didn't think it was realistic enough... this is our video analysis/review of the film:

Edit - if you wish to review the film, please place the review here, Personal blogs, URLs etc go in your signature and not used in the body of the post to direct users off-site.

< Message edited by elab49 -- 15/7/2010 7:21:22 PM >

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=21stCenturyCat

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 184
RE: Video Review - 15/7/2010 6:56:09 PM   
Dr Lenera

I'm one of those heathens who prefers Predator 2 to Predator, but I do go along with the majority in considering the Aliens Vs Predators films a total waste of celluloid.  This sequel to Predator [it doesn't mention the films in between, but does briefly reference events in Predator] just about passes muster as a switch-your-brain-off-action movie, but it's basically one big ass kiss to the first film.  Nothing inherently wrong with returning to that film's kind of setting or feel, and there's nothing wrong with the odd reference for fans to pick up on, but this movie is absolutely crammed with nods to the original and steals from it constantly, be it characters who parellel previous characters and do the same things, events that are almost the same and even actual lines of dialogue.  By the time Adrien Brody growled "do it, do it now" in what seemed to me like an impersonation of Christain Bale's stupid Batman voice, I had lost all patience with all this and the only good thing was that it made me just want to watch the original again. The basic plot does have it's interesting elements though it borrows from Pandorum and even has Lawrence Fishbourne speak variations on some of that film's lines, while the film does build up a fair bit of suspense.  Effects and action are fair, with the Predator 'dogs' making for an exciting scene but then disappearing, and the Predators as cool looking as ever, though in a film called Predators I would have liked to have seen more than four.  There's some solid though unremarkable gore-I would have liked for them to have tried to outdo the first movie's killings, but instead they don't really bother.  The Chambara-style Yakuza/Predator fight is great though and ends with the film's one great shot, an oddly beautiful aerial shot of the dead combatants as wind blows the grass back and forth.  Brody, despite his voice, does come across as a convincingly tough hero and the rest of the cast fare ok though I got annoyed with the score which was basically a cover version of the first film's score, and like most cover versions, not nearly as good.  Which sums up the whole film really. It's certainly enjoyable and exciting in parts, and far better than the AVP outings, but plays it far too cautious and just comes across as an expensive fan tribute.  Still, now the series is getting back on it's feet, maybe we'll get a really good Predator movie next time.

check out more of my reviews on http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/

(in reply to 21stCenturyCat)
Post #: 185
RE: Urghhh! - 15/7/2010 7:24:30 PM   
kenada_woo

quote:

Because its pretty "meh." Its not "great" and its not offensive enough to be "bad" it just sits in the middle and people take from it what they put into it.

Thinking over it....For me Predator is arguably the king of its monster vs man action/horror genre. So basing Predators against that is a bit futile. But to put it up against films in its genre such as The Relic, Pitch Black, even Outlander to name a few off the top of my head...its not even better than those. So it's an overall "meh" rating for moi.

Oh and here's a goodie for Predator 2 defence -

http://www.timeout.com/film/features/show-feature/10289/lay-off-predator-2.html

< Message edited by kenada_woo -- 15/7/2010 7:25:29 PM >

http://dereksdontrunfilms.blogspot.co.uk/

"You bailed out a Jamaican street named Monkey the other day, I want him. This other piece of shit, Screwface, I want him. I know you're a scumbag and a puke, I don't mind that, but give me what I need and I'll leave here a nice guy. If you don't, I'm gonna fuck you up. "

Hatcher. Marked For Death

(in reply to CORLEONE)
Post #: 186
RE: they killed the franchise - 15/7/2010 10:41:24 PM   
BOHEMIANBOB

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation

Well I loved it. I really loved it. It was fun, enjoyable and daft. Yes the characters were flat stereotypes, but they were fun (SPOILERS, there was actually applause when Nikolia blows the Predator up SPOILERS OVER) and I enjoyed them, Brody this time is good enough as an action hero (after the incredibly dull and charmless role in King Kong), the idea of the Predators being tribes is a good one (if an advanced society can take such ritualistic hunting till death bullshit seriously, I will take Predator tribes), the acting was mostly good and the action visceral. Also, the soundtrack is great. It doesn't have an original bone in its body and the characters are flat, but it is the most fun I had in ages (fun which involves film that is) and I'd put it in the same league of the first (only becuase the first has a first half that is frankly a bit rubbish and feels like two different films put together).

Also, it's the first time I have heard applause in a film since The Return of the King.

Also, PREDATOR VERSUS YAKUZA WITH KATANA FIGHTING CHAMBARA STYLE. If that doesn't make you happy or filled with joy, than you are dead inside.

4/5

Firstly,i agree it was fun.

Misunderstood.
Don't care.
Have you seen my stolen signature?!

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 187
RE: they killed the franchise - 15/7/2010 10:42:23 PM   
BOHEMIANBOB

quote:

quote:

but it is the most fun I had in ages

Also, PREDATOR VERSUS YAKUZA WITH KATANA FIGHTING CHAMBARA STYLE. If that doesn't make you happy or filled with joy, than you are dead inside.

You really need to get out more

Although I did rather enjoy the sword fight

Secondly,the sword fight sucked!

Misunderstood.
Don't care.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 188
RE: they killed the franchise - 15/7/2010 10:54:19 PM   
Deviation

Shut up. 

quote:

There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

(in reply to BOHEMIANBOB)
Post #: 189
RE: they killed the franchise - 15/7/2010 11:09:30 PM   
BOHEMIANBOB

You shut up.

Misunderstood.
Don't care.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 190
RE: they killed the franchise - 15/7/2010 11:10:19 PM   
BOHEMIANBOB

I sense a trend here......

Misunderstood.
Don't care.

Post #: 191
RE: they killed the franchise - 15/7/2010 11:16:05 PM   
Deviation

No you shut up. 

quote:

quote:

Post #: 192
RE: they killed the franchise - 15/7/2010 11:25:55 PM   
BOHEMIANBOB

Are you trolling again....

Misunderstood.
Don't care.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 193
RE: they killed the franchise - 15/7/2010 11:51:02 PM   
Deviation

No, I am joking using a forum meme, not trolling. Trolling would be calling you an idiot for not liking a swordfight. 

quote:

quote:

Post #: 194
RE: they killed the franchise - 16/7/2010 12:03:48 AM   
BOHEMIANBOB

quote:

No, I am joking using a forum meme, not trolling. Trolling would be calling you an idiot for not liking a swordfight. 

What??Of course you are
Responding to your (non?)trolling would see me banned for not being polite.
Plus i'm not quite sure what you mean?Swordfight?Too much Disney?

Misunderstood.
Don't care.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 195
RE: they killed the franchise - 16/7/2010 12:20:18 AM   
Deviation

Huh?

What does Disney have to do with this?

quote:

quote:

Post #: 196
RE: they killed the franchise - 16/7/2010 12:26:43 AM   
BOHEMIANBOB

You said swordfight,i had Disney images-though maybe more Shrek in retrospect(Puss in Boots).
Why,who knows-you started with "shut up" after all.

Misunderstood.
Don't care.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 197
RE: they killed the franchise - 16/7/2010 12:33:35 AM   
Deviation

Erm...ok

quote:

quote:

Post #: 198
RE: they killed the franchise - 16/7/2010 12:39:59 AM   
BOHEMIANBOB

Don't ask me why,i had images of you being a [SPOILER] fat little cat trying to poke me with a little sword,based on your own comment.
Can't understand that,i love cats.

Misunderstood.
Don't care.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 199
RE: they killed the franchise - 16/7/2010 12:40:35 AM   
BOHEMIANBOB

Or we could just keep typing "shut up"...

Misunderstood.
Don't care.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 200
RE: Urghhh! - 16/7/2010 8:52:16 AM   
CORLEONE

quote:

ORIGINAL: kenada_woo

quote:

But to put it up against films in its genre such as The Relic, Pitch Black, even Outlander to name a few off the top of my head...its not even better than those.

Disagree. Pisses all over The Relic and Outlander! Pitch Black is probably it's equal in my opinion. 4 stars for me.

Someone above stating that it wasn't realistic enough  What isn't realistic about a gang of mercenaries, enforcers and serial killers being abducted by aliens and placed on a planet rife with life outside our solar system?

Al Swearengen: "Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back".

(in reply to kenada_woo)
Post #: 201
RE: Urghhh! - 16/7/2010 2:50:03 PM   
Deviation

Dunno, I say it needed more hand-held camera angles.

quote:

quote:

(in reply to CORLEONE)
Post #: 202
ALWAYS GIVE THE FANS WHAT THEY WANT...... - 16/7/2010 4:32:16 PM   
ROTGUT

Right? Well now I'm not so sure after watching this rather mixed bag. The original Predator movie was no masterpiece but still - it was a pretty much straight forward affair compared to Antal's belated and rather convoluted effort. Arnie - at the peak of his muscle bound powers going toe to toe with the original predator is a classic screen image and - as I remember - he more or less got his ass kicked by the dread-locked terror. And now we have - Adrien Brody? Sorry - I didn't buy it. Common movie logic dictates that there's no way in all the universe that puny old Adrien would ever get the better of a ferocious seven foot tall alien equipped with camouflage technology and a lazer targeting plasma weapon. And why on earth did they cast Topher Grace in this movie? The predators wouldn't have gotten any satisfaction from hunting him. He didn't even have any obvious weapons for pity's sake! Bottom line - some good ideas and smart action beats rehashed from the first and still far more superior film. The quest for the ultimate predator sequel goes on...............two stars

Post #: 203
RE: ALWAYS GIVE THE FANS WHAT THEY WANT...... - 16/7/2010 9:37:57 PM   
BOHEMIANBOB

That's fairly accurate i'd say.
It's not that,as a Predator fan i'd be "hating" this,just disappointed with the resort to cliches,re-hashing and general silly ideas put forward.
Who would replace Arnie though?
Jason Statham?
Not a lot of choice these days really...

Misunderstood.
Don't care.

(in reply to ROTGUT)
Post #: 204
RE: ALWAYS GIVE THE FANS WHAT THEY WANT...... - 16/7/2010 10:19:12 PM   
kumar

spoilers

Saw this the other night and it was good fun. Would definately watch again with a few beers, It lagged sorely in the middle though but started to redeem itself in the last half hour- though some scenes were too dark. I was a bit gutted when i was the only one to laugh near the start though, when the third character drops next to our 2 first survivors. I wasnt a big fan of Venoms big reveal at the end, while i didnt know for sure he was a murderer I could sense something wasnt right- they could have handled him better.
Loved the guns, explosions, spine rippings, swearing and predator vs yakuza. I was a bit hesitant it would follow AVP with the friendly predator but it didnt turn out so.

Though i also thought it was a little bloodless though still violent, I had a right blast with it. 3/5

"Darth Silas - I love Craig as Bond too. Genius. "- Jackmansgirl 15/7/2008

Last films watched:

The Road - 4/5
Chronicle - 4/5
Twilight Breaking Dawn p1 - 1/5
Warrior - 5/5
Super 8 - 5/5
Paranormal Activity 3 - 3/5
MI 4 - 2/5

Post #: 205
- 17/7/2010 2:21:45 AM   
sephiroth7

I enjoyed it in a "was never gonna change the world" kinda way and I think 3/5 is about right.

Post #: 206
RE: Urghhh! - 17/7/2010 11:59:05 AM   
kenada_woo

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: kenada_woo

quote:

But to put it up against films in its genre such as The Relic, Pitch Black, even Outlander to name a few off the top of my head...its not even better than those.

Disagree. Pisses all over The Relic and Outlander! Pitch Black is probably it's equal in my opinion. 4 stars for me.

Someone above stating that it wasn't realistic enough  What isn't realistic about a gang of mercenaries, enforcers and serial killers being abducted by aliens and placed on a planet rife with life outside our solar system?

Each to his own. But there's more imagination and tension in those films mentioned than the blandness that was Predators.

http://dereksdontrunfilms.blogspot.co.uk/

"You bailed out a Jamaican street named Monkey the other day, I want him. This other piece of shit, Screwface, I want him. I know you're a scumbag and a puke, I don't mind that, but give me what I need and I'll leave here a nice guy. If you don't, I'm gonna fuck you up. "

Hatcher. Marked For Death

(in reply to CORLEONE)
Post #: 207
- 18/7/2010 4:11:19 PM   
tusse67

Saw this 3 days ago. Didn't expect much, but had a craving for more lore about the predators. First 1/2 of the movie was satisfying imo. Second 1/2 on the other hand left me increasingly disinterested.

For instance... A lot of potential was left out concerning the unusual ally Adrian Brody was able to make. That just seemed a waste of screentime.

Post #: 208
good film, but with a massive annoyance a the end - 19/7/2010 11:08:03 AM   
jamestamplin

it was a good film, with the main character being suitably ruthless at various points. the final realisation of why the doctor was there could have been done earlier and seemed a little bit tacked on when it arrived.

however, the most annoying thing for me was the music that played over the credits. after the suitably sequel setting up denouement and a snarl from various unseen predators, we were subjected to 0s rock which arrived like a weak slap in the face, it didn't hurt but it was REALLY annoying!
still though the actual film was enjoyable

Post #: 209
The 'Sequel' We've Been Waiting For - 20/7/2010 12:13:50 PM   
robwillphill

It was a pretty good film until the ending. Laurence Fishburne had the best performance, Toby Disgrace... sorry I mean Toby Grace marred the film for me with his wooden acting. It's a summer blockbuster which has the overdose of nostalgia and well-paced sequences. However, overall there is something not quite right and I can't put my finger on it...

6/10

http://youtube.com/audience

Check out my latest films:
- http://youtu.be/Z2zrRi06Rb0
- http://dai.ly/fSojJ3

---------------------------------------------------

Stewie: We're playing house
Lois: But that boy's tied up
Stewie: It's Roman Polanski's house

(in reply to jamestamplin)
Post #: 210
Page:   <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Urghhh! Page: <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI