Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Predators - disappointing

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Predators - disappointing Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Predators - disappointing - 14/7/2010 9:56:41 AM   
CORLEONE

Thoroughly enjoyed this. Great throwback to the 80s and fans of the original should lap it up.

4 stars.

Al Swearengen: "Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back".

(in reply to BOHEMIANBOB)
Post #: 151
RE: Predators - disappointing - 14/7/2010 10:30:30 AM   
Twisted Kitty

quote:

ORIGINAL: CORLEONE

Thoroughly enjoyed this. Great throwback to the 80s and fans of the original should lap it up.

Couldnt agree more Corleone.  Went to see this yesterday and really enjoyed it.  Action packed right from the start.  A bit cheesy at times but then so was the original one.  Big thumbs up from me and good fun.

"I have a terrible headache, and a sudden craving for chicken wings"

(in reply to CORLEONE)
Post #: 152
RE: Predators - disappointing - 14/7/2010 11:20:22 AM   
Filmfan 2

quote:

ORIGINAL: BOHEMIANBOB

I was watching the 2 disc dvd of Arnie's Predator last night.
It is so good,yet so simple.Arnie didn't take it too seriously,but yet there is a genuine feeling of "us and them" to the death,which none of the following movies have.
Brody's character was like he was in some post-modern performance of Hamlet!
As for the predators themselves,again,simple is so much better.None of this "super Predator" nonsense,or Predators being killed more easily than extras in a Joe Pesci film.
What do we want?
Explosions(Predators couldn't even do that),bad-ass heros,bad-ass villians,chases,traps and bottom line,a decent action romp with the Predators that made us love the film in the first place!

Agreed. I saw Predators on opening day last week and whilst I had an enjoyable enough time, the whole affair was rather flat.

The problem with the new movie is that it brings nothing new to the table. It plays far too much homage to the original without moving anything on, and as a result the whole thing feels very by-the-numbers. The characters in the original movie may not have had masses of depth to them, but they were much better than the bland cyphers on display in the new movie. The movie also lacked any real kind of tension.

Enjoyable enough, but nothing to write home about.

I am not drinkin' any fuckin' Merlot!

"All I wanted me was a piece of cornbread, you motherfuckers!"

Defender of all things Batman Begins

Post #: 153
It was alright - 14/7/2010 12:19:41 PM   
Whistler

Not as good as the original, better than Predator 2. I thought the dialogue was a bit stale and obvious, and every character was a cliche so I already knew every conversation and argument they'd have. But the action was good, and I liked how they used the music and sound effects from the original. I agree with Empire on this one: 3 stars, no more no less.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 154
RE: 15 certificate - 14/7/2010 1:22:54 PM   
MarcE

I truely expected you to give it 2 stars! I'm surprised!  I plan to see it soon, as long as theres guns and Predator action it can't possibly be bad. Right?

(in reply to livewire)
Post #: 155
PREDATORS - another franchise that has been pulled to s... - 15/7/2010 1:10:31 AM   
Scapade

Just got out of the cinema and I am f**king PISSED, Predators is shit, it is just a low budget film that looks like it's in HD, which really should have gone straight to DVD or should have not been made at all. I could go into the reasons why this film was such a let down, but the more I think about it the more pissed I get, so here are my 10 reasons why you should NOT watch Predators:-
(1) Alien 1,2 & 3
(2) The Fly 1 & 2
(3) Cliffhanger
(4) An American Warewolf in London
(5) The Long Kiss Goodnight
(6) Interview with the Vampire
(7) Friday
(8) Dog Soldiers
(9) The Fugitive
(10) Predator 1 & 2

Do you get my drift? Now those are the type of films you watch in cinema.

< Message edited by Scapade -- 15/7/2010 1:13:42 AM >

Post #: 156
PREDATORS - save your money - 15/7/2010 1:20:08 AM   
Scapade

Don't bother go cinema to watch this film, just watch the first one as they copied most of the film, just without the good cast, suspence, surprises and oh yeah an actual story-line.

Post #: 157
RE: Predators - disappointing - 15/7/2010 10:22:20 AM   
Frank Castle

Disappointed is a understatement im gutted i really wanted this to be great, remind me of the original movies and not the crap vs ones but this kinda sucks as well. prob not as much as the others but still just to far away from arnie's awesome original and even glovers take.
For a start the predators just suck, they're crap i think i could have taken 1 down. Both arnies and glovers predator would have made short work of these guys. They're supposed to be super predators for gods sake?? Casting wise is ok brody makes a believable badass while the others do the job. fishbourne does his morpheus role with a psycho twist which i suppose is something new for the 1st time from him in 10 years.
Just a major disappointment for me and why does every alien creature have to have giant tusks on them all the time?????

" guys its ok, he just wanted his machette back"!!

Post #: 158
RE: PREDATORS - save your money - 15/7/2010 10:22:47 AM   
CORLEONE

Calm yourself, angry internet person.

Nice mention of Friday though  

"If you love Friday, you'll hate Predators!"

Al Swearengen: "Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back".

(in reply to Scapade)
Post #: 159
RE: Predators - disappointing - 15/7/2010 10:32:47 AM   
Timon

quote:

ORIGINAL: Frank Castle
They're supposed to be super predators for gods sake??

Are they?

Since when?

It was my understanding they were just from a different tribe.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to Frank Castle)
Post #: 160
RE: Predators - disappointing - 15/7/2010 10:51:42 AM   
skeletonjack

I went in wanting to love this and for the first half hour or so I did. Everything was building up nicely for some kick ass predator action, only it never really happened that way and I found myself being overall a bit disappointed.
Still a decent movie, but could and should have been much better.
3 stars

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 161
RE: Predators - disappointing - 15/7/2010 11:16:58 AM   
sharkboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

quote:

Are they?

Since when?

Yeah, I have to admit the reference to these super duper predators was confusing me somewhat.  Is it a reference to the original script that had been floating about all those years?  Because, ya know, that was only the basis of the movie that was made (otherwise we'd have had shape-shifting IDF chicks too).

Anyway, I watched it a couple of days ago and thought it was a pretty enjoyable movie.  Not as good as the original, obviously, but just as good as the unfairly-maligned Predator 2, with some solid action and a decent enough cast (and personally I thought Brody made a pretty convincing bad-ass). OK, some of the crew were clichés, but can't the same be said of the original team?  Big lunk with mini-gun, native tracker, comedy relief...

I would have liked more about the Predator culture, the other creatures that were dropped in the cages were woefully underused and that shock reveal at the end was so obvious it could have been detected by Hubble, but these gripes aside, it made for a decent enough couple of hours entertainment.  3 stars is probably about right, but a good 3-stars

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 162
RE: Predators - disappointing - 15/7/2010 11:25:27 AM   
elab49

Did they (ie Larry) not suggest that one lot was superior to the others? Smaller, not as strong?

I've never particularly rated the original or the trend to somehow mythologise bad films from Schwarzenegger and/or Stallone. I actually don't mind the sequel as much - actual actors pop occasionally which might help. But the cop stuff dates badly.

This was probably in between. It had actual actors in it, although not necessarily acting. A plot by numbers where you could pretty much predict the order they'd go and that x would save y first (a bit like the end of Volcano where the cops help out the neighbourhood - that cliche). And King Kong should have shown is that Brody is a laughably weak excuse for an action hero and cutting his hair shorter really doesn't help that any. Looking off into the distance and growling still doesn't persuade that the only time he'd be remotely dangerous is playing a skinny drugged up New Yawker with a knife. A buffed up mercenary? Funniest part of the film.

< Message edited by elab49 -- 15/7/2010 11:31:31 AM >

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 163
RE: Predators - disappointing - 15/7/2010 11:27:54 AM   
CORLEONE

Not sure they said any was inferior. Just said one tribe was bigger than the other and they had a long standing feud. I think.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 164
RE: Predators - disappointing - 15/7/2010 11:32:52 AM   
elab49

I thought he said/meant physically bigger, not more numerous?

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

(in reply to CORLEONE)
Post #: 165
RE: Predators - disappointing - 15/7/2010 11:34:16 AM   
CORLEONE

Yes, that's what I meant. Terrible wording there.

The larger Predator's red dreadlocks were fantastic, by the way....

< Message edited by CORLEONE -- 15/7/2010 11:35:00 AM >

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 166
RE: Predators - disappointing - 15/7/2010 11:36:08 AM   
elab49

Ah, good. I was worried I'd misremembered there. I can't remember if he said anything about more aggressive, though.

quote:

(in reply to CORLEONE)
Post #: 167
Urghhh! - 15/7/2010 11:36:22 AM   
Mr.Screen

A tribute act to the original and a very bad one at that. I can easily say this is the WORST film I've seen in 2010 (at the time I'm writing this anyway). The first two Predator films were silly, popcorn nonsense but undeniably fun and I rate them both as * * * movies. If you thought the AvP movies were bad (and I thought the first one was just about passable btw! - Haven't seen the second) then be warned. AvP is Oscar worthy compared to this fracking crud!.

Post #: 168
RE: Urghhh! - 15/7/2010 11:40:10 AM   
CORLEONE

Can't understand the hate this is getting....

(in reply to Mr.Screen)
Post #: 169
RE: Predators - disappointing - 15/7/2010 11:41:36 AM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: CORLEONE

The larger Predator's red dreadlocks were fantastic, by the way....

I was reading somewhere else someone saying one of the predators in the 2nd instalment had them, which I completely missed.

My one hope from this film? That Antal heads back home - Hollywood is ruining him. Kontroll is one of  my favourite films of the decade.

quote:

(in reply to CORLEONE)
Post #: 170
RE: Predators - disappointing - 15/7/2010 11:47:11 AM   
CORLEONE

I'll be honest, it's the 1st film I've ever seen that he's directed. Definitely a talented guy IMO.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 171
RE: Predators - disappointing - 15/7/2010 11:49:00 AM   
elab49

Kontroll is great - bunch of misfit subway ticket collectors, rival ticket collecting gangs, killers, people in odd costumes. Very funny stuff.

But he doesn't seem to be bringing much personality to the US stuff. Competence, but his choices aren't great, IMO.

quote:

(in reply to CORLEONE)
Post #: 172
RE: Predators - disappointing - 15/7/2010 11:58:57 AM   
Invader_Ace

quote:

quote:

Are they?
Since when?

The Super-Predator phrase is a hangover from the original old script, however, I'm pretty sure they kept using it in the run up to the release.  What  said on screen though is that there a two kinds.

Big ones and little ones. The big ones are are stronger and meaner and hunt the little ones, like a blood fued that goes back centuries.  "it's the difference between Wolves and Dogs".  So yeah, it's meant to be two different types.

I can't find the actual quote yet, but it makes the distinction on the Wikipedia page too.  Basically it's ass.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 173
RE: Predators - disappointing - 15/7/2010 12:00:18 PM   
The Hooded Man

Predators is another example of declining movie standards, it offers cliched characters and nothing remotely original and falls apart towards the end. it is by no means a great film nor a terrible film but because it's not totally shit on every level it'll be held up as some sort of triumph by some.

Counting the minutes until the over zealous mods lock this thread too.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 174
they killed the franchise - 15/7/2010 12:31:42 PM   
Sanya

The script is total lame, the lack of action what is the crime for such film and for Rodriguez personally, 45 minutes in the middle only talk, the main character sucks, the end is chaotic, the only positive thing is the fight on the knives

Post #: 175
RE: they killed the franchise - 15/7/2010 1:29:00 PM   
Deviation

Well I loved it. I really loved it. It was fun, enjoyable and daft. Yes the characters were flat stereotypes, but they were fun (SPOILERS, there was actually applause when Nikolia blows the Predator up SPOILERS OVER) and I enjoyed them, Brody this time is good enough as an action hero (after the incredibly dull and charmless role in King Kong), the idea of the Predators being tribes is a good one (if an advanced society can take such ritualistic hunting till death bullshit seriously, I will take Predator tribes), the acting was mostly good and the action visceral. Also, the soundtrack is great. It doesn't have an original bone in its body and the characters are flat, but it is the most fun I had in ages (fun which involves film that is) and I'd put it in the same league of the first (only becuase the first has a first half that is frankly a bit rubbish and feels like two different films put together).

Also, it's the first time I have heard applause in a film since The Return of the King.

Also, PREDATOR VERSUS YAKUZA WITH KATANA FIGHTING CHAMBARA STYLE. If that doesn't make you happy or filled with joy, than you are dead inside.

4/5

< Message edited by Deviation -- 15/7/2010 1:41:50 PM >

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to Sanya)
Post #: 176
RE: they killed the franchise - 15/7/2010 1:38:13 PM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation

but it is the most fun I had in ages

Also, PREDATOR VERSUS YAKUZA WITH KATANA FIGHTING CHAMBARA STYLE. If that doesn't make you happy or filled with joy, than you are dead inside.

You really need to get out more

Although I did rather enjoy the sword fight

quote:

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 177
RE: they killed the franchise - 15/7/2010 1:41:11 PM   
Deviation

The most fun I had in ages involving a film. Better?

quote:

There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 178
RE: Predators - disappointing - 15/7/2010 1:47:00 PM   
Frank Castle

quote:

ORIGINAL: Invader_Ace

quote:

quote:

Are they?
Since when?

The Super-Predator phrase is a hangover from the original old script, however, I'm pretty sure they kept using it in the run up to the release.  What  said on screen though is that there a two kinds.

Big ones and little ones. The big ones are are stronger and meaner and hunt the little ones, like a blood fued that goes back centuries.  "it's the difference between Wolves and Dogs".  So yeah, it's meant to be two different types.

I can't find the actual quote yet, but it makes the distinction on the Wikipedia page too.  Basically it's ass.

i just ment super as in they were supposed to be superior predators to the normal ones which they say in the film (wolves/dogs) which appeared in the other movies. but they were crap predators which the original movies one would have kicked all 3 of there asses.

i do agree the yakuza/predator battle was pretty cool

" guys its ok, he just wanted his machette back"!!

(in reply to Invader_Ace)
Post #: 179
RE: Predators - disappointing - 15/7/2010 3:27:20 PM   
Deviation

The big predator looked pretty strong to me, it fucked itself when it depended to much on thermal heating.

quote:

quote:

(in reply to Frank Castle)
Post #: 180
Page:   <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Predators - disappointing Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI