Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Jungle Feever!

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Jungle Feever! Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Jungle Feever! - 10/7/2010 3:22:12 PM   
Izzet

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

Here is where I think the film went wrong. We are told these are some of the most bad ass people on planet Earth, but we never really see the struggle with working as a team, or stabbing each other in the back. The movie could have done a lot more with that idea, which would have made its own mark on the franchise. Previous movies have had teams facing off against the Predator - this one should have been a lot more about trying to fight against both the aliens, and the backstabbing. There is a little bit of it in there, but not enough to make the movie interesting.

I think there's enough of it... They're marooned on an Alien planet, you'd expect even the worse of the worse to band together for survival until at least there's an escape route.

Alien Experience Messageboard

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 121
RE: Great Fun And Very Entertaining - 10/7/2010 3:38:28 PM   
Invader_Ace

Cack.
2 out of 5.

The idea of Predators and Super-Duper-Predators never sat well with me from the off, but I thought it might work on film, but no; it's pointless, childish and needless  (and kind of 90s, predators TO THE MAXX!!).  Also it devalues the Predator that we all love and the heroes from the previous films.

The cartoon nature of the characters never lets the actors be more that "big gun guy" or "shiv guy".  While I think that might have been OK in a comic, on film it just seems kind of silly.  No stand out action pieces, although unlike previous posters, I actualy thought the hunting dogs worked.

Fishburn was a joke!  In a way, he was sort of the highlight.  He does not have the physique of a scavenger!

By the end I was really quite bored, I think the first part of the film without the SD-Predators was actually stronger.

A few niggles that just irked, as mentioned; how would that character know about the events of the first film?
"They always hunt in threes" -  except in Predator, or Predator 2 or the AvP Films, books or comics, but apart from that, always.  Oh wait, you mean the SD-Predators who we literally don't give two shits and a fuck about.   They always hunt in threes.  OK,whatever.

It's the 3rd best Predator film.

(in reply to Schnorbitz)
Post #: 122
RE: Jungle Feever! - 10/7/2010 3:41:34 PM   
Invader_Ace

quote:

ORIGINAL: Izzet

quote:

Here is where I think the film went wrong. We are told these are some of the most bad ass people on planet Earth, but we never really see the struggle with working as a team, or stabbing each other in the back. The movie could have done a lot more with that idea, which would have made its own mark on the franchise. Previous movies have had teams facing off against the Predator - this one should have been a lot more about trying to fight against both the aliens, and the backstabbing. There is a little bit of it in there, but not enough to make the movie interesting.

I think there's enough of it... They're marooned on an Alien planet, you'd expect even the worse of the worse to band together for survival until at least there's an escape route.

Yes, but you would also expect some sort of personality clash.  Apart from Shiv-Guy and African-Guy, there wasn't really any sense that they were forced to work together.

(in reply to Izzet)
Post #: 123
RE: Jungle Feever! - 10/7/2010 4:06:39 PM   
Rgirvan44

And screw the haters, Fishburne was awesome. Yeah, he spent a little too much time eating double bacon alien burgers, but he had presence, and brough soem much needed crazy. I really enjoyed him in this.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Invader_Ace)
Post #: 124
It could have been so much better... - 10/7/2010 4:33:25 PM   
craigcole1983

As the subject of this post says there was indeed so much more they could have done to try and fully restore the pride back to this series. I, and I'm sure I'm not alone, was disgusted at how the predators were portrayed in the 2 AVP films. In Predators They hinted at the clan feuds and in fighting the predators are involved in, this could have been explored into a far more respectable pred on pred battle. Then why oh why did they insist on ripping off the first film. The sword battle where Hanzo decides he's had enough and takes the predator on? seriously? I thought I was flashing back to 1987, If Hanzo had drawn his sword across his chest as part of a pre battle ritual I was walking out of there. For fear of going off on too many tangents, I just want to summarise by saying that I feel they didn't really have too many ideas too add to the series, just drum up the same ideas from the original and then add a 2010 feel to them. As for the predators themselves, don't get me started...

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 125
RE: Great Fun And Very Entertaining - 10/7/2010 5:22:52 PM   
Gretzky

quote:

ORIGINAL: Schnorbitz

I may have missed it, but was the shot of Brody with dozens of the red laser three things on him not in the film at all?  And it was just the one?

The one at the top of here:

http://www.filmshaft.com/predators-sequel-talk-starts/

It was just the one... I imagine it was a cheat for the trailers and advertising to confirm there will be more than one Predator in 'Predators'...

~ Formerly Ash_Boomstick
Female Film Fan

(in reply to Schnorbitz)
Post #: 126
RE: Slightly disappointing... - 10/7/2010 5:25:39 PM   
Gretzky

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ghidorah

I enjoyed a lot from this film and I would give this four out of five. There were moments when the film did drop down to three stars but in general this is the film we had been waiting for twenty years. I am happy they dropped the original endings, teased it still in place with the trailer(multple lasers on one guy) then done something totally different. Overall I am very happy and I am surprised this film did so much when AVPR with the same budget accomplish so little.

4 out of 5 and I am happy the woman didn't turn out to be a unknwon species of alien hinted in the script.

Which original endings were there? And were they actually shot?

I loved this film. Solid 4 stars for me. A loving faithfulness to the original (with lots of good homages and nods) whilst being a solid sequel. Plain good fun and up there as one of my favourites of the year so far... One of those films that actually makes me smile with glee whilst watching it!

~ Formerly Ash_Boomstick
Female Film Fan

(in reply to Ghidorah)
Post #: 127
RE: It could have been so much better... - 10/7/2010 5:26:00 PM   
BOHEMIANBOB

See this yesterday.
I am a big fan of the originals,seen the dire AVP films too.
This was poor.It looked cheap.Brody is NOT a hero for this type of film.
The dialogue was clunky and awkward.The characters were awful stereotypes-worse than anything from the 80s.
Fishburne,was,well-why was he there???Get someone decent to do crazy.
Very disappointed-i agree the Super Predators story was just stuck in there badly too.
2 stars,and that's just because it had Predators in it

Misunderstood.
Don't care.
Have you seen my stolen signature?!

(in reply to craigcole1983)
Post #: 128
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzz - 10/7/2010 6:49:48 PM   
The kUrGaN

I'm sorry....I can't type a review right now....I'm still asleep in the cinema.......ZZZZzzzzzz

Post #: 129
RE: Jungle Feever! - 10/7/2010 9:19:09 PM   
Beno

quote:

And screw the haters, Fishburne was awesome. Yeah, he spent a little too much time eating double bacon alien burgers, but he had presence, and brough soem much needed crazy. I really enjoyed him in this.

He was greeeeaaat . Why could'nt he have been in it a tad longer .

I thought the Topher Grace 'twist' near the end was handled a bit clunkily but overall i think Empire got it right with 3 stars .

"The one about the space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedalbin. His Father's a robot and he's fucking fucked his Sister. Lego ... They're all made of fucking Lego!!"

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 130
RE: Jungle Feever! - 10/7/2010 9:24:45 PM   
BOHEMIANBOB

quote:

ORIGINAL: Beno

quote:

He was greeeeaaat . Why could'nt he have been in it a tad longer .

I thought the Topher Grace 'twist' near the end was handled a bit clunkily but overall i think Empire got it right with 3 stars .

He was annoying!!!!!!!
And to think people slagged Danny Glover-he was Oscar worthy compared to that tosh!!

Misunderstood.
Don't care.

(in reply to Beno)
Post #: 131
RE: Jungle Feever! - 10/7/2010 11:24:52 PM   
MI Cruise

Just watched this today and I was suprised at how good it was seeing as I was slightly disappointed that Empire gave it 3 stars. This has been the best Predator movie since the original, although it could have gone terribly wrong. I liked the fact that this movie mentions the original and also payed homage to some of the best parts of the original.
Some scenes from the original were extended upon such as the Yakuzza character who is the same as Billy in the original only Billy got killed straight away in this movie the battle with the samurai sword was great.
I can see that some people were disappointed but thinking about it this movie couldnt have gone any other way this is probably the best version we can get of a predator movie excluding the original, at least this one was better than Predator 2, AVP and AVP2. And I was glad as hell when they didnt include the infamous, ''you one ugly motherfucker'' line that would have ruined it for me and luckily they didnt.

Only question left to ask is, will there be a sequel?

Overall a good movie but tons of fun.

< Message edited by MI Cruise -- 10/7/2010 11:28:43 PM >

www.letterboxd.com/micruise1/films/

(in reply to BOHEMIANBOB)
Post #: 132
Hollywood 2010: brainless and dickless - 11/7/2010 1:11:27 AM   
BatSpider

Predators? Pussies.

Post #: 133
RE: Jungle Feever! - 11/7/2010 1:16:59 AM   
BOHEMIANBOB

quote:

ORIGINAL: MI Cruise

Just watched this today and I was suprised at how good it was seeing as I was slightly disappointed that Empire gave it 3 stars. This has been the best Predator movie since the original, although it could have gone terribly wrong. I liked the fact that this movie mentions the original and also payed homage to some of the best parts of the original.
Some scenes from the original were extended upon such as the Yakuzza character who is the same as Billy in the original only Billy got killed straight away in this movie the battle with the samurai sword was great.
I can see that some people were disappointed but thinking about it this movie couldnt have gone any other way this is probably the best version we can get of a predator movie excluding the original, at least this one was better than Predator 2, AVP and AVP2. And I was glad as hell when they didnt include the infamous, ''you one ugly motherfucker'' line that would have ruined it for me and luckily they didnt.

Only question left to ask is, will there be a sequel?

Overall a good movie but tons of fun.

Sorry,but for "homage",read lazy and rip-off!
The Samaurai battle was silly and not deserving in of a Predator movie.

Misunderstood.
Don't care.

(in reply to MI Cruise)
Post #: 134
Watered down - 11/7/2010 5:51:37 PM   
Riggs

Saw Predators and my oh my how I am very disappointed!

The script missed so many different opportunities to make this film incredibly fascinating and scary plus brilliant.

In parts the film good and okay but overall a major upset those predator film lovers.

Royce should've had so much more to do and as for Lawrences character well he could've and should've gone in a much more interesting direction e.g. the predator mask should've been used to trap and kill enough preds for those who need to survive and take the dead preds masks which could've lead to a whole new direction in action.

So much potential and yet wasted for the majority of the film.

Post #: 135
3 stars???!!!!! - 11/7/2010 9:33:20 PM   
marty_mcfly84

Awful film. Adrian Brodys batman husky voice just irritated me throughout the whole film! It's basically exactly the same plot as the first but you can't make an 80's film in 2010....it just doesn't work anymore. Avoid!

Post #: 136
Very Terminator: Salvation - 11/7/2010 9:53:59 PM   
littlechris

Really reminded me of Terminator: Salvation; obviously trying really hard to play homage to the original and not do anything to upset the fans but ends up making a rather average film that adds little to the series.

Post #: 137
Very Terminator: Salvation - 11/7/2010 10:01:47 PM   
littlechris

Really reminded me of Terminator: Salvation; obviously trying really hard to play homage to the original and not do anything to upset the fans but ends up making a rather average film that adds little to the series.

Post #: 138
soild - 12/7/2010 12:40:11 AM   
tysmuse

I'm not really a fan of the whole Predators mythology. All the recent AvP films are shit, but this is solid stuff. Pretty much agree with the Empire review here. Not quite as frenetic as I'd hoped, though.

Post #: 139
RE: soild - 12/7/2010 1:37:10 PM   
The Hooded Man

The Predators were pretty crap weren't they? Killed far too easily, the sword fight looked great but there's no way a Predator should be beaten so easily it was ludicrous. Not nearly as ludicrous as Brody's performance though. He was totally dire and seemed to be obviously acting the hard man rather than actually being one. It's another average film that will pick up more goodwill than it deserves simply because it's not total shite.

Counting the minutes until the over zealous mods lock this thread too.

(in reply to tysmuse)
Post #: 140
RE: soild - 12/7/2010 1:38:08 PM   
Brooksy84

Saw it Friday night, and as I walked out of the cinema I was content to give it three stars for being, as the review puts it, a solid Saturday night effort. The more I think about it though, in thruth it can only really claim two stars at best (and half of one of those comes from Long Tall Sally over the credits).
Yes, when you're going to be conpared to one of the greatest genre flicks of all time (hell, one of the greatest FILMS of all time), it's not the best foundation to start with, but overall it just smacked of laziness, as many other posters have made mention of. Ripping off the three most iconic moments of action and dialogue from the original is pretty sad, basically just the makers way of saying "look guys, remember the first  film, wasn't it awesome!"
The character "twist" at the end was pretty shocking, no decent explanation and seemingly just tacked on for the sake of it. Brody did the best he could with the material available, otherwise this has to go down as a massive failure. A wasted opportunity of the highest order.

http://averagefootballfan.blogspot.co.uk/

(in reply to tysmuse)
Post #: 141
A solid Fours Stars - 12/7/2010 7:54:45 PM   
Maneroch

Saw the film this afternoon and to be honest i enjoyed it far more than i expected after reading your review - the "special effects" were very second rate on the grenade explosion but other than that i had no complaints - Larry Fishborne looked old and fat - but my wife says i do as well so it seems unfair to criticise him for that- all in all i would give the film a very solid 4 - the last film i watched based on an Empire review was Valhalla Rising and that I felt was a shocking waste of time - obviously after buying your mighty tome since issue
1 we seem to have grown apart - it's the children i worry about! Long Tall Sally was a nice touch at the end.

< Message edited by Maneroch -- 12/7/2010 7:56:49 PM >

Post #: 142
Undemanding fun - 12/7/2010 10:52:45 PM   
bretty

Brought back memories of the original film, a little "10 little Indians" for me and you kind of know where it is going, but still worthy of a couple of hours.

Post #: 143
RE:marty_mcfly84`s comments. - 13/7/2010 1:01:17 PM   
papalupara

Your right mate,Brody should a done a 'Joe Pasquale' instead of a 'Batman husky'.....would have been much more fun!

Post #: 144
RE: Jungle Feever! - 13/7/2010 3:34:47 PM   
darko18

< Message edited by darko18 -- 9/4/2013 11:40:58 AM >

(in reply to Izzet)
Post #: 145
RE: Jungle Feever! - 13/7/2010 9:55:14 PM   
hampstead bandit

I saw this yesterday here in London, and quite enjoyed it, more than I though I would?

the characters were great, a wide range of interesting, if troubled, people

Walton Goggins as "Stans" was brilliant, enjoyed his work in TV show "the shield" and really liked him as the death row-con in this, attacking a predator with a prison shank!

Adrien Brody was solid as Royce (dubious mercenary), and Alice Braga as Isabelle (Israeli sniper) , the russian dude (Oleg Taktarvov) with the minigun had a more human side than Jesse Ventura in Pred 1.

really like the 1/2 half of the movie, it had some great touches (the initial air drop, the wonder of what is going on, and when they reached high ground and see the "sky"..) but felt the 2nd half became a little formulaic

I actually preferred Pred 2 to Pred 1 (which I found a little too simple), and would rank Predators up there with Pred 2

a solid 3.5/5

(in reply to darko18)
Post #: 146
RE: Jungle Feever! - 13/7/2010 11:58:42 PM   
BOHEMIANBOB

Methinks Predator 2 is better than this.

Misunderstood.
Don't care.

(in reply to hampstead bandit)
Post #: 147
RE: Jungle Feever! - 14/7/2010 8:06:12 AM   
theieuan

Saw this last night. Pretty good film. Nowhere near as good as the original but better than Predator 2. Good start but I think it should have taken longer for them to figure out they were on an alien planet. It would have helped if the jungle looked more alien rather than a stereotypical Amazonian rainforest. Also, shamelessly sets up a sequel...

Overall, 3/5 - good 'blokes' film and definately worth a rewatch.

You know, this place makes me wonder...Which would be worse, to live as a monster or die as a good man?

(in reply to BOHEMIANBOB)
Post #: 148
Predators - disappointing - 14/7/2010 8:33:20 AM   
dpb0612

I went into the cinema open minded, thinking this might be a good sequel, finally after the disappointing A v P films, and with Predator and Predator 2 being one of my fav films of all time. It was also good to see a decent producer at the helm and some know faces acting as appose to load of unknowns.
In a nutshell, the films overall story was interesting and I tried to get myself into the action, however, with the original Predator soundtrack and the embarrassing reenactments of various famous scenes from the original movie, it all became, well, embarrassing.
Brody's overacting didn't sit with me well either, he is no Arnie! The other cast members were interesting to a degree, but was disappointed by the fleeting cameo of Mr. Lawrence.
Best thing was how the production managed to reproduce the original predator look from the first film; it's unfortunate that this particular individual was short lived!
Special effects weren't excellent (the fire effects were poor!). But overall was ok.
As mentioned since it's been 19yrs since the last film I was hoping for so much more, and after following the various reports online about the movie I was hyped. But this was very short lived (I think I gave up when I heard the original Predator theme kick in!).
I think the franchise is dead now, please can they leave it alone, they did enough damage with the AVP films! To me this, and other sequels & remakes alike are just money making exercises by flagging film studios, mostly rushed out the door on a modest budget, but always guaranteed a return for their money.
Please can studios come up with original films instead of rehashing previous box office successes!

Post #: 149
RE: Predators - disappointing - 14/7/2010 9:08:59 AM   
BOHEMIANBOB

I was watching the 2 disc dvd of Arnie's Predator last night.
It is so good,yet so simple.Arnie didn't take it too seriously,but yet there is a genuine feeling of "us and them" to the death,which none of the following movies have.
Brody's character was like he was in some post-modern performance of Hamlet!
As for the predators themselves,again,simple is so much better.None of this "super Predator" nonsense,or Predators being killed more easily than extras in a Joe Pesci film.
What do we want?
Explosions(Predators couldn't even do that),bad-ass heros,bad-ass villians,chases,traps and bottom line,a decent action romp with the Predators that made us love the film in the first place!

Misunderstood.
Don't care.

(in reply to dpb0612)
Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Jungle Feever! Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI