Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Jungle Feever!

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Jungle Feever! Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Jungle Feever! - 9/7/2010 1:14:22 PM   
herbertwest1701

quote:

ORIGINAL: gordonsalive

quote:

ORIGINAL: herbertwest1701

Kim, you are way off base man! Predators 3 is like 4reakin awesom! Adrien Prody (of 'Spliced' fame, and The Pianism) is cast against typewriter, and it's great to see Arnie again with a handlebar moustache and knives. Did you not notice Kim that this movie has Predator Houndz? It is worth another 5 stars for that!!!!!!!!!! I say Jungle Fever has R3turned (awesome tagline), I'm tweeting this from my sleeping bag outside Aldsley Grand, even though I'm the only one in the queue, I'm THAT exited. Preds 4ever man! Kim Newman, I will hunt you down baby and use your spinal column as a keyboard for my KNIFE FINGERS!!!

Dude, thank you!  You made me laugh so much I had to read most of that through tears of joy!

As for the review - not overly impressed, but the ratings on par with what I'd thought this would be, shall see this at our local flea pit as it's only £4.50 a ticket.

"The Pianism, cast against typewriter,"  Oh man thank you, thank you, thank you

Yeah, I was just in a wacky mood. Maybe something in my breakfast. Kim Newman's opinions are usually spot on, so respect to the master. That said, I'm off to see Predators tonight and I'm determined to enjoy it!

(in reply to gordonsalive)
Post #: 91
RE: Jungle Feever! - 9/7/2010 1:24:25 PM   
Scoop1980

Seen it last night and it's a solid 3 star action sci-fi film.

Far from perfect but nowhere near as bad as Predator 2 or the shocking excuse for films we were subjected to from P W S Anderson!

I don't think people had an issue with Kim's rating of Predators - I think it was generally the lacklustre and slapdash nature of the review itself.

I enjoyed the film - Brody was great as Royce and Topher's character was intriguing. It's obvious it was never going to match McTiernan's original and anyone who even attempts to compare them is off their nut.

The CGI was good, action sequences well put together and it was good to see some proper bad-ass Predators again.

Thank Christ it wasn't like McG's Terminator Salvation!

So I guess this is where I tell you what I learned - my conclusion, right? Well, my conclusion is: Hate is baggage. Life's too short to be pissed off all the time. It's just not worth it.

(in reply to herbertwest1701)
Post #: 92
- 9/7/2010 4:20:16 PM   
Tom Shoes

Predator (1987) was an integral part of all our childhoods! Remember being Huddled in a friends' house as a young teen with a freshly secured copy of the movie, that some-ones older brother had gotten for you and your mates under the strain and duress of relentless nagging?

That daunting sight of the bright crimson circle on the bottom corner of the chunky video box boasting a white "18", dilated pupils, manufactured adrenaline, and prepared a delicious cocktail of disobedience and excitement. I mean who was honestly going to wait another seven or eight years to adhere to what some know-it-all adults thought was an appropriate age for viewing. We were ready now!

The crude noise the gigantic video player made as it digested the black tape signified the beginning of what would be the most awesome 107 minutes of our young lives! and so the show began amidst a eerie haze of silence and unprecedented excitement, as we all revelled in the carnage and action extravaganza that would have us hanging out of trees, and arguing over who got "dibs" on being "Dutch", in our post movie recreation of the magic we had just witnessed.

Robert Rodriguez Predators' is a polished, darkened tribute to a franchise and concept that has always had so much potential. Having it roots as the original story for the 2nd Predator movie, Predators would seem like a natural evolution for the series, but unfortunately the lagging dead weight of the less than adequate additions to the predator portfolio, such as Predator 2, AVP and AVP2 means Predators has a greater responsibility to its' audience than just being an enjoyable watch; and with Rodriguez's name attached we do lure ourselves into an eager and premature sense of trust, that an undertaking of this magnitude can be enough to wipe the dregs of the money-hungry, quick-fix sequels and spin-offs that butchered such a wonderful sc-fi character. But it just doesn't!

Clever salutes throughout the movie to o

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 93
RE: - 9/7/2010 5:14:56 PM   
darth silas

I'm in two minds about this film.On one hand,it's a decent enough sci-fi action flick,but on the other,it's clearly made as a "true" sequel to one of THE greatest sci-fi action films of all time.Predator.It's perhaps inevitably nowhere near as good as the original but is a decent enough time wasted.

The first half of the film was quite effective,wasting no time introducing the characters and the situation they are in.Some good tension and action scenes are well done as the group face the hostile inhabitants of this planet and eventually the Predators themselves.

Problems ensue when Fishburnes character is introduced.This section of the film is overlong and could have easily been cut down.The good pace that was established earlier just grinds to a hault.

Luckily the film picks up again in the third act as the few remaining survivors battle the Predators and attempt to escape.

3 stars is about right.It's a decent enough film but won't be regarded as a classic and will probably be forgotten after a few years.

Star Wars:Episodes 1,2,3,4,5,6.Taken together they are one giant movie and it is the greatest movie EVER.

(in reply to Tom Shoes)
Post #: 94
RE: RE: - 9/7/2010 5:17:11 PM   
genejoke

most enjoyable film of the year, I think, little has blown me a way this year. Okay films like the raod are better but damn it was fun.

2 hours of awesome.

(in reply to darth silas)
Post #: 95
predators - 9/7/2010 5:17:16 PM   
ciltubrid

f***ing class

Post #: 96
RE: predators - 9/7/2010 6:06:40 PM   
evil bill

A group of elite warriors are hunted by members of a merciless alien race known as Predators.After 23 years and three attempts and two shit P V's A,finally a solid sequel to the Arnold Schwarzenegger B-movie classic.Although it's arguably not saying much, this is the second-best movie of the series to have "Predator" in the title.Now the gripe first,it just doesn't live up to its potential, but it is a step in the right direction for the franchise.With such a great cast and director we should have been blasted out of are seats,but instead we get all ye old action cliches we love,but noting new.Now the good news,the make- up and gore effects, by maestros Greg Nicotero and Howard Berger, are well done and not over the top.The action is well handled,and it looks great on the big screen,with solid direction plus it's well paced.Brody though seems out of place and not much chemistry with his cast mates in his relatively new role as action hero.Saying that he get's on like a cross between the man with no name and Batman,and delivers some good old fashion macho bullshit.The rest of its main supporting cast are just what you expect in this type of movie,full of testosterone,one-liners,and good prey for the Predators.The script provides few genuine surprises in it storytelling and bares a stunning amount of resemblance to last year's terrific Pandorum.Still if you are a fan,this won't disappoint to much,as it doesn't change the game too much but delivers a solid and fun experience to its fanbase, plus re-establishes the Predator as one of Hollywood's most fertile sources of sci-fi villains/monsters.7/10

"You listen to me now,i will find you and i will kill you!"

(in reply to ciltubrid)
Post #: 97
RE: predators - 9/7/2010 9:23:22 PM   
redpaw

Sorely disappointed with this. Even though I knew it wasn't going to be great, I still went in expecting to be pleasantly surprised, but, I'm sorry to say, this film is far worse than I could have anticipated. It's one thing to pay homage to the original but to take it to the extent that they did is downright shameful. Blatant rip-offs of other classic movie lines too with a; if it comes to that, I'll do us both steel from "Aliens", and one that kinda felt like a; we're gonna need a bigger boat reference.

Yes, I am a fan, but there are many problems with the actual film itself. There's a great opening with the potential to introduce some great characters, who, with the exception of Fisbourne's cameo, all fell flat for me. I can buy Brody as an action hero and it's always fun to see Danny Trejo, but none of the characters really gel and don't share any of the rapor that, say, Mac and Blane did in the original.

The film also suffers from a very slow start and pacing issues, which, I put down to a general lack of visually engaging set-pieces. There's no suspense, no scares and no real violence - all crucial for a film like this. It's a shame really because I was hoping this would be the film that would wash away the sour after-taste of all those AVP movies. But no, they just keep piling up.

One last thing, I understand this film was made from an old script Rodriguez wrote back in the nineties? It shows too. It's got the feel of collection of "cool" ideas that any fanboy might fantasize about putting into a Predator film, but with no real care or consideration as to how to actually make a decent film.

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 98
RE: predators - 9/7/2010 9:27:42 PM   
darth silas

quote:

ORIGINAL: redpaw

Sorely disappointed with this. Even though I knew it wasn't going to be great, I still went in expecting to be pleasantly surprised, but, I'm sorry to say, this film is far worse than I could have anticipated. It's one thing to pay homage to the original but to take it to the extent that they did is downright shameful. Blatant rip-offs of other classic movie lines too with a; if it comes to that, I'll do us both steel from "Aliens", and one that kinda felt like a; we're gonna need a bigger boat reference.

Yes, I am a fan, but there are many problems with the actual film itself. There's a great opening with the potential to introduce some great characters, who, with the exception of Fisbourne's cameo, all fell flat for me. I can buy Brody as an action hero and it's always fun to see Danny Trejo, but none of the characters really gel and don't share any of the rapor that, say, Mac and Blane did in the original.

The film also suffers from a very slow start and pacing issues, which, I put down to a general lack of visually engaging set-pieces. There's no suspense, no scares and no real violence - all crucial for a film like this. It's a shame really because I was hoping this would be the film that would wash away the sour after-taste of all those AVP movies. But no, they just keep piling up.

One last thing, I understand this film was made from an old script Rodriguez wrote back in the nineties? It shows too. It's got the feel of collection of "cool" ideas that any fanboy might fantasize about putting into a Predator film, but with no real care or consideration as to how to actually make a decent film.

People being gutted and havng their spines ripped out isnt violent to you?

< Message edited by darth silas -- 9/7/2010 9:28:16 PM >

Star Wars:Episodes 1,2,3,4,5,6.Taken together they are one giant movie and it is the greatest movie EVER.

(in reply to redpaw)
Post #: 99
RE: predators - 9/7/2010 9:43:39 PM   
redpaw

Sure it is. But it was all handled wrong. You know, there's a moment in the original Predator that always gets me -- not really to do with violence persay -- it's a cut -- that sudden cut to when the Predator lays a body out (I forget who's it is) along the tree, and the guy's lifeless face pops into shot.

I felt with this film, that a lot of the tricky, the visual gags were lost in either poor editing, poor directing, or a combination of both.

Oh, and who got gutted? I don't remember that. And there's another problem, much of the film is completely forgetable.

< Message edited by redpaw -- 9/7/2010 9:45:23 PM >

Post #: 100
RE: predators - 9/7/2010 9:47:18 PM   
darth silas

quote:

Sure it is. But it was all handled wrong. You know, there's a moment in the original Predator that always gets me -- not really to do with violence persay -- it's a cut -- that sudden cut to when the Predator lays a body out (I forget who's it is) along the tree, and the guy's lifeless face pops into shot.

I felt with this film, that a lot of the tricky, the visual gags were lost in either poor editing, poor directing, or a combination of both.

SPOILERS...

The new film had some pretty gruesome stuff.Seeing the convict character getting his spine ripped out on the spot while he was still very much alive was pretty hardcore,as was the beheading of the final Predator.It was every bit as gruesome as the shot you mention(that was Billys lifeless corpse by the way)

(in reply to redpaw)
Post #: 101
RE: predators - 9/7/2010 9:54:41 PM   
redpaw

quote:

ORIGINAL: darth silas

quote:

SPOILERS...

The new film had some pretty gruesome stuff.Seeing the convict character getting his spine ripped out on the spot while he was still very much alive was pretty hardcore,as was the beheading of the final Predator.It was every bit as gruesome as the shot you mention(that was Billys lifeless corpse by the way)

I thought it was, but wasn't sure.

And I agree, the acts you're describing are indeed violent, but the handling of it gave all those scenes something of a watered-down effect, probably due to the fact that they set out to make something that could pass for a 15. Whereas the original, I'm sure the goal was to make it as violent as possible and see what they could get away with. That's my problem with alot of films these days - the watering down of violence or taboo subject matter. It should be shown for what it is - not not done in some half-arsed, chicken-shit way.

Post #: 102
RE: Jungle Feever! - 9/7/2010 10:05:24 PM   
Gazz

Okay, I have threw this review together rather quickly and have yet to give it a proper proof read. Though there are no major spoilers since I have tried to leave the majority of the film's narrative untouched there may be the odd minor spoiler in there.

Popcorn Nightmares Presents

PREDATORS

[img]http://filmonic.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/predators-2010-stills.jpg[/img]

The Predator franchise has not had it easy. Though the first film survived cancellation and reached heights thought impossible by timid studio execs the following sequels and cash grab spin-offs have last a sour taste in the mouths of both public and critics. The better-than-people-say sequel may have provided some fun and furthered the mythos but its haphazard and excessive approach squandered much of the potential provided in the original and the less said about the Alien vs. Predator films the better. Now the very mention of further Predator sequels are met with moans of displeasure from disgruntled fan boys and in the rare occasion of fan boy fundamentalism has been met with death threats. Who would dare to stir this Hornet’s nest of a fan base? Enter Robert Rodriguez and Nimrod Antal.

Predators starts as it means to go on opening with Arian Brody’s Royce, a well armed mercenary with an attitude to rival his caricature-like facial feature, caught in a free fall tumble towards a planets surface with little reason or explanation. Before long we are on the planets surface and introduced to a team of similarly clad individuals, each packing their weapon of choice and an attitude to boot. They feature a heavily armed Russian spetsnaz, a female sniper expert, a yakuza hitman who’s far more handy with a sword and a death row inmate with a mouth, to name but a few. So far, so very eighties. Only Topher Grace’s meek physician stands as an exception amongst this elite group of bad-asses. Despite the ensemble cast Adrian Brody owns this film from his first line to his last. His very involvement had the fan base up in arms since it was first announced but it is in Brody’s portrayal of Royce that I believe we have found our true successor to Arnie’s mantle.

Both in terms of aesthetic and narrative everything points towards Predators being the true sequel to the ‘87 classic. As our characters stumble through the jungle’s mysteries with all the subtly of a deranged rapist (the kind Stan’s may actually be) the dread slowly builds to a point when the gang is faced with the difficult choice of executing one of their own as he cries out for help. It’s a suitably creepy scene with a conclusion that sent a shiver down my own spine. The music is also quite effective in that much like the original Predator film it works as an actual living and breathing element accompanying the visuals with an Al Silvestri like flair in percussion.

So a sure fire hit then? Sort of. Kinda. Well…

For all the slow build and mystery presented in the first two acts it’s a shame to see the third act stumble along without any sense of dread or tension. No aspect of the film is left untouched by the sudden dip in quality as the editing turns frantic, the cinematography zips across the screen, the score loses it’s layers and instead turns a rock re-imagining and the cgi effects look like they were rendered through an Amiga system.

And though the tagline screams “Fear is Reborn” the Predators themselves are unfortunately somewhat of a damp squib. Much like with James Cameron’s Aliens (a film Rodriguez mentions as an inspiration) in establishing more than one primary threat he has also lessened that threat. However they do certainly look the part. The Predator design is simplistic and minimalist. Gone is all the crazy gadgetry that saw the fearful creatures turn into the Bonds of intergalactic space travel. However, there are at least risks taken in the appearance of the Predator that opens doors to redesigns without slapping the face of the original Stan Winston creation.  However we’re never given chance to appreciate the design since the unveilings are forced amid a frantically edited battle scene.

Predators is a distinctly unoriginal film, sticking to the blueprint of the original films  as if a guide to filmmaking. And though it sometimes reaches the heights set it never truly bests them. I do hope further sequels make an attempt to stray from the formula and set standards of their own rather than working in the shadows of McTiernan’s classic.

Bottom Line: Ultimately Predators is a fun film that not only refuses to deviate from genre convention but instead embraces it and despite a very shoddy slapdash third act Rodriguez and Antal have pumped life in the Predator franchise with a film where the quieter moments of tension scream much louder. A very flawed step up the Predator ladder but a step up nonetheless!

6/10

< Message edited by Gazz -- 10/7/2010 1:49:14 AM >

(in reply to herbertwest1701)
Post #: 103
RE: predators - 9/7/2010 10:09:01 PM   
darth silas

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: darth silas

quote:

SPOILERS...

I thought it was, but wasn't sure.

And I agree, the acts you're describing are indeed violent, but the handling of it gave all those scenes something of a watered-down effect, probably due to the fact that they set out to make something that could pass for a 15. Whereas the original, I'm sure the goal was to make it as violent as possible and see what they could get away with. That's my problem with alot of films these days - the watering down of violence or taboo subject matter. It should be shown for what it is - not not done in some half-arsed, chicken-shit way.

I think what were seeing these days with a lot of action and horror films is that the theatrical versions are cut a certain way to get a 15 rating for the all important opening weekend and then the dvd versions are unrated and uncut(i recently rented the new Halloween and Friday the 13th remakes and they are all director cuts with much more gore and violence).I think the director of Predators said in last months Empire article that they have shot even more grislier stuff for the dvd version.

(in reply to redpaw)
Post #: 104
RE: Jungle Feever! - 9/7/2010 10:29:10 PM   
kenada_woo

I have to agree with Silas, Bozz and the rest....the overall film is fine/okay with some rock solid turns from Brody (doing his best Snake Plisken voice) and a few tight action scenes.

But overall it never adds anything new to the franchise, seems a little on the cheap side, and has a very basic story. So basic in fact, it doesnt know where its going or how it will end....it just really, finishes.

The Predators at one point also seem like they're cameoing in their own film. Its not until the final 20minutes that they're really running about (all 4 of them, wow). And they're not the best, biggest, or most intelligent Predators in the Predator series either and seem to lose the movement and grace of what Kevin Peter Hall and even Ian Whyte (even though AvPR isnt the best, Ian Whyte's Predator is bang on perfect) had in the previous Predator incarnations.

So yeah, was a decent hour and a half without being anything special. Its story and pacing lets in down a bit, which I why I'd say AvP probably pips it. And its nowhere near as good as Predator or even the criminally underrated Predator 2. Just a solid actioner that's never anything special or memorable.

NB - Larry Fishburne's character, Rowland, must have had plenty of grub lying around to survive that long and look like that hahaha.

***/*****

http://dereksdontrunfilms.blogspot.co.uk/

"You bailed out a Jamaican street named Monkey the other day, I want him. This other piece of shit, Screwface, I want him. I know you're a scumbag and a puke, I don't mind that, but give me what I need and I'll leave here a nice guy. If you don't, I'm gonna fuck you up. "

Hatcher. Marked For Death

(in reply to Scoop1980)
Post #: 105
RE: Jungle Feever! - 10/7/2010 2:14:03 AM   
Rebel scum

From the title down, Predators clearly has aspirations towards being the Aliens to the original Predator's Alien, and by and large it succeeds in its goals. This is not to say that its perfect, but it ups the ante and is more entertaining than most summer films thus far.

The main worry going into the film is, as with Aliens, will the presence of more than one Predator make them easier to dispatch? By and large, this is not the case; Predators are still just as badass as before and, crucially, just as difficult to kill. The issue is instead the addition of unnecessary extras which detract from their impact. The "dogs" are pointless and add nothing to the film aside from an average action sequence and some bad effects, while the Super Predator has a cool design, but is essentially exactly the same as a regular Predator. Refreshingly, however, the regular Predators remain essentially unchanged, and their impact has not lessened one bit.

The human element is equally strong. Adrien Brody is an effective lead, and Alice Braga is good as the token action girl. The other noteworthy mention is Laurence Fishburne, because he overplays and comes across as ridiculous, which is a shame. Sadly, most of the other characters do at times feel underdeveloped, but this was arguably an issue in the first film too. Here the group are all individual, at least, and there are some good character moments. Indeed, part of the film's strength is showing how they all come to grow together as a group before the inevitable carnage starts.

Said inevitable carnage does take a while to arrive though; no bad thing but may frustrate some who want to get to the action. The early scenes are well paced and decent, but unfortunately anyone who's seen any of the trailers will know most of what's going on long before the characters do. That's fine, and the film shouldn't be penalised for its marketing, but it is unfortunate so much is known already. When the action does start, its easily as frantic and bloody as expected-despite expectations given the 15 rating-and the fights are well done all round. Stand outs are a sword fight and a brief return of "Old Painless" (The film has multiple references to the first film-one character even recaps the plot for us!), but by and large the action is brief. This isn't necessarily a bad thing-the original was fairly low on action too-but an addition scene, perhaps with multiple Predators surrounding the group, would have made the film that bit better.

Overall, Predators is a great sequel to a great film. Better than the original? That's debatable, but much better than the sequel and *shudder* the AvP films. Anyone jaded by the current crop of summer fluff would be advised to check this out-any blockbuster made for adults should be relished these days. High 8/10

"We are not safe! A dark menace rises to the east! Duckies go quack! Cows go moo! I want ice cream. Verily, will you two hobbits join my quest?"

(in reply to kenada_woo)
Post #: 106
RE: Jungle Feever! - 10/7/2010 2:22:20 AM   
Gazz

quote:

ORIGINAL: kenada_woo

NB - Larry Fishburne's character, Rowland, must have had plenty of grub lying around to survive that long and look like that hahaha.

Noland

(in reply to kenada_woo)
Post #: 107
Re: f***ing class - 10/7/2010 2:30:21 AM   
badsanta

"f***ing class"

I doubt that.

Post #: 108
Get to the Chopper!! - 10/7/2010 3:45:49 AM   
Rob2175

3/5 is justified. Adrien Brody ain't no action hero as I suspected. His character in this as cold hearted bastard was cool. The.......Preds are cool, some good sequences in this. Fishburne was like Quint in Jaws, but shit to a degree. My main problem with this was it should have got on it's knees and sucked the fat one of the original. Too many references to it.

Post #: 109
RE: Jungle Feever! - 10/7/2010 10:46:36 AM   
kenada_woo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gazz

quote:

Noland

Sorry...I was just preoccupied by how fat he was, I missed his name haha

Add on to that was the explanation scene of Alice Braga's character. Its like she'd just banged in the DVD of the original film before she landed on the planet haha

< Message edited by kenada_woo -- 10/7/2010 10:50:14 AM >

"You bailed out a Jamaican street named Monkey the other day, I want him. This other piece of shit, Screwface, I want him. I know you're a scumbag and a puke, I don't mind that, but give me what I need and I'll leave here a nice guy. If you don't, I'm gonna fuck you up. "

(in reply to Gazz)
Post #: 110
RE: Jungle Feever! - 10/7/2010 11:18:40 AM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

quote:

quote:

Noland

Add on to that was the explanation scene of Alice Braga's character. Its like she'd just banged in the DVD of the original film before she landed on the planet haha

Was very disappointed that she didn't continue with "...and then there was another in 1997, who fought a cop who was too old for this shit..."

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to kenada_woo)
Post #: 111
RE: Jungle Feever! - 10/7/2010 11:28:31 AM   
kenada_woo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

quote:

quote:

quote:

Noland

Was very disappointed that she didn't continue with "...and then there was another in 1997, who fought a cop who was too old for this shit..."

LOL'd.

I know it shouldnt be looked in depth but....How did she really know all that? It'd be under the CIA vaults for enternity. Unless Busey was holidaying back in the day and blabbed. hahaha

And doesnt it fuck up the whole Predator universe? Why would a Predator go to Earth if they can just kidnap people and hunt them on their own planet? There'd be no bad arses left on Earth if they can do that, so why bother?

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 112
RE: Jungle Feever! - 10/7/2010 11:38:29 AM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Noland

LOL'd.

I know it shouldnt be looked in depth but....How did she really know all that? It'd be under the CIA vaults for enternity. Unless Busey was holidaying back in the day and blabbed. hahaha

And doesnt it fuck up the whole Predator universe? Why would a Predator go to Earth if they can just kidnap people and hunt them on their own planet? There'd be no bad arses left on Earth if they can do that, so why bother?

I'm guessing that sort of information would eventully find its way around the intellgence community.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to kenada_woo)
Post #: 113
RE: Jungle Feever! - 10/7/2010 12:05:22 PM   
jcthefirst

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Noland

"Also, there was this underground pyramid thing, but let's not talk about that."

@Jonny_C85

My Movie Blog | My Other Various Rantings Blog

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 114
RE: Jungle Feever! - 10/7/2010 12:23:00 PM   
Rgirvan44

Here is where I think the film went wrong. We are told these are some of the most bad ass people on planet Earth, but we never really see the struggle with working as a team, or stabbing each other in the back. The movie could have done a lot more with that idea, which would have made its own mark on the franchise. Previous movies have had teams facing off against the Predator - this one should have been a lot more about trying to fight against both the aliens, and the backstabbing. There is a little bit of it in there, but not enough to make the movie interesting.

(in reply to jcthefirst)
Post #: 115
Great Fun And Very Entertaining - 10/7/2010 1:43:05 PM   
Bighousewill

I think you get your moneys worth with this one its excellent and redeems the Predator films I personally think Aliens Vs Predator is pants and ive never seen those all the way through. Predator 2 was pants but this is predator 3 and it doesnt dissapoint. All the characters are bad ass. SPOILER ALERT Im not awarding an extra star because I don't know where I stand on the primitive different species of predator. Plus aaw how will they get home?

Post #: 116
Great Fun And Very Entertaining - 10/7/2010 1:43:06 PM   
Bighousewill

I think you get your moneys worth with this one its excellent and redeems the Predator films I personally think Aliens Vs Predator is pants and ive never seen those all the way through. Predator 2 was pants but this is predator 3 and it doesnt dissapoint. All the characters are bad ass. SPOILER ALERT Im not awarding an extra star because I don't know where I stand on the primitive different species of predator. Plus aaw how will they get home?

Post #: 117
RE: Jungle Feever! - 10/7/2010 1:43:43 PM   
kenada_woo

quote:

Here is where I think the film went wrong. We are told these are some of the most bad ass people on planet Earth, but we never really see the struggle with working as a team, or stabbing each other in the back. The movie could have done a lot more with that idea, which would have made its own mark on the franchise. Previous movies have had teams facing off against the Predator - this one should have been a lot more about trying to fight against both the aliens, and the backstabbing. There is a little bit of it in there, but not enough to make the movie interesting.

True.

I rewatched Predator last night. The minute those fellers get off the helicopter about 3minutes in screams "bad arses" without any of them speaking a word. Superb casting. And when it all goes off, because they all look the part, when they get scared...you get scared. That's very subtle but all the better for it. Same with Predator 2 - Paxton, Busey, Blades, Glover, all big presences in the film.

In Predators, the casting doesnt have that screen presence so having them turn on each other, as you mentioned, would've compensated and improved the film a lot more as the story is pretty weak and basic. Brody does get a few moments of that, but its never opened out.

< Message edited by kenada_woo -- 10/7/2010 1:44:31 PM >

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 118
RE: Great Fun And Very Entertaining - 10/7/2010 1:47:22 PM   
Bighousewill

Oh yeah Laurence Fishbourne

"Im alive" that was a cool character

(in reply to Bighousewill)
Post #: 119
RE: Great Fun And Very Entertaining - 10/7/2010 2:55:01 PM   
Schnorbitz

I may have missed it, but was the shot of Brody with dozens of the red laser three things on him not in the film at all?  And it was just the one?

The one at the top of here:

http://www.filmshaft.com/predators-sequel-talk-starts/

(in reply to Bighousewill)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Jungle Feever! Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI