Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Slightly disappointing...

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Slightly disappointing... Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Slightly disappointing... - 8/7/2010 3:40:36 PM   
Ramus Kham Mehef

Just been to see Predtors and it was weak. The Predators get knocked around by the humans and they're meant to be tougher than the original Predators. They're too short as well and there's supposed to be a "dog handler" and a "falconer" and you don't see either with a dog nor a falcon. The dogs come separately at the beginning and the falcon just gives you a bird's-eye-view of one particular scene. The Predator animatronics looked kinda artificial as well. I enjoyed it up until the Predators turned up and the relationships between the human characters were interesting to watch unwind. Kinda like Big Brother.  Definitely looking forward to Expendables though.

< Message edited by Ramus Kham Mehef -- 8/7/2010 3:53:31 PM >

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 61
RE: Slightly disappointing... - 8/7/2010 4:25:23 PM   
Ghidorah

I enjoyed a lot from this film and I would give this four out of five. There were moments when the film did drop down to three stars but in general this is the film we had been waiting for twenty years. I am happy they dropped the original endings, teased it still in place with the trailer(multple lasers on one guy) then done something totally different. Overall I am very happy and I am surprised this film did so much when AVPR with the same budget accomplish so little.

4 out of 5 and I am happy the woman didn't turn out to be a unknwon species of alien hinted in the script.

(in reply to Ramus Kham Mehef)
Post #: 62
RE: Jungle Feever! - 8/7/2010 5:09:55 PM   
The REAL Bozz

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ethanial

Just back from it, I was watching the first half thinking, Yeah, Chris was right, this is funking awesome, Kim was wrong.
But then the second half creeped up, and the entertaining guys in a jungle plot disappeared and became generic survival film, without a single inventive twist, like if the characters from Exam were one note, and yeah, 3/5 is a sensible rating, disappointing as it's the best looking film I've seen this year, sans the terrible CGI, but the kills, the plot, the dialogue, the 'twists' were written in stone from the get go, and weren't dealt with in a way that they knew we knew it would happen.

SPOILERS SPOILERS !!!!!!!!
Yep. I agree with you - I enjoyed the film but I felt every plot beat and twist was obvious from the get go. Wasted opportunity with Topher Graces character. His reveal - wont go into specifics - is saved for the last act yet from character promotion teasers we know who he is and why he's on the planet to begin with. That combined with the fact he did fuck all evil deeds until the end seemed pointless. He should have taken out one or two more of the main group, I felt to really make you hate him. I couldn't care less about him either way by the end. It was a good performance though.

Adrian Brody was ok. Alice Braga (?) - I just kept thinking Michelle Rodriguez, where is she? Lol; stand outs for me were the Yakuza guy - great presance and ....Danny Trejo. He was ace.

I loved the look of the main Predator, the real bad arse one. He was ace and a great new design. Thought Fishburne was way OTT. Everyone was laughing at his character in the screening, guess if that was the point of him then it was a good show.

No real drive to the story, just a case of 'We gotta get off this planet' from start to finish. In fact I dont know why they ignored Predator 2 or the AvP films, 'cause despite being lesser films from a technical point of view the storylines of each of them are much better than anything on offer here.

It sounds like I hated the film and I never. I liked it but just don't go expecting Predator : The TRUE sequel.

< Message edited by The REAL Bozz -- 8/7/2010 5:21:59 PM >

Films I've watched
Star Trek Into Darkness ***
Iron Man 3 *****
Evil Dead (2013) ***
Bait 3D ***

(in reply to Ethanial)
Post #: 63
RE: Slightly disappointing... - 8/7/2010 5:59:10 PM   
spamandham

quote:

Predators can look down on Species, but only just.

Oh please do fuck right off, kim. Bullshit like this completely invalidates whatever else you had to say

Post #: 64
RE: C'mon - 8/7/2010 6:13:19 PM   
spamandham

quote:

ORIGINAL: Keyser Sozzled

I thnk it is a disgrace that any reviewer, espeically one from a large well known magazine would post a review of a movie that I have not yet seen and would form a different opinion to me and then have tha sheer audacity to give it a rating. I mean I watched the trailers, like, three time already. Fucknig disgraceful.

Empire should sak Kim Newman on the spot.

OH GOD, MY SIDES! SOMEONE FETCH A NEEDLE AND THREAD, QUICK!

(in reply to Keyser Sozzled)
Post #: 65
I can't believe.... - 8/7/2010 6:55:47 PM   
Barneyross1

Predator 2 is ignored....I mean c'mon 20th century....I would of had ARN and 'No way you Live! No Way!!!' team up for PREDATORS....that would of been a movie....put those two dudes in an upside down concrete world with trees growing in the sky...make it a true challenge for DUTCH

Post #: 66
Short and Simple - Lets be Honest! - 8/7/2010 7:51:13 PM   
rozbates

Yet again another hollywood film that is what it is, Made to make some money and sell action figures while attempting to inject some longed for nostalgia.

It was never going to be Arnie and Carl Wethers but saying that why has it attempted to be. Ok seeing old painless does give you a kick but taking his shirt off and covering himself in mud AKA Arnie style why????

Sorry but two stars only - and old painless got it the second one.

Post #: 67
RE: Short and Simple - Lets be Honest! - 8/7/2010 8:58:37 PM   
The Todge

Well, that was a big hoo hah about nothing really.

While the review is still fucking crap, the three stars is probably pretty fair.  .

Took a wee while to get going and I was getting a bit impatient, though I am grateful they skipped past any backstory rubbish or "pre planet" stuff. Got a geek boner seeing the original Predator suit up and throw down again.  And the "Over here" bit and the mini gun.  Nice little geek pleasing throwbacks. And generally speaking the action was wel delivered and handled and the effects were good.  While that was going on it was solid.  And I like the little expansions on the Predator mythology.  The Preday-dogs were a better concept than execution though really, a fairly pointless sideshow akin to the dinosaur chase in King Kong.

There's too little action though, because as soon as it stops the movie fucking drags like a bastard.  And the gore could have been a bit more explosiver, there were a couple of crowd pleasing momens but while it wasn;t toned down, it was all shot fairly dark so it was hard to see the details, a bit of a miossed oppertunity there. The cast was pretty crap.  Adrien Brody gorwling constantly doesn't do it for me .  This movie doesn't require better actors, but it needed bigger personalities to keep it moving, and the three biggest ones Fishbourne, Trejo and the Yakuza bloke barely get fuck all to do.  

Had they cast the picture with people who could infuse a bit of life in such broadly sketched characters we could have had something a lot more worthwhile.  It beats the AvP shite and just inches past Predator 2, but it will more than likely be fairly quickly forgotten, and that's a shame because if this doesn;t do big business it could spell the end of the series.

So yeah, solid while the guns are blazing but slows to a crawl otherwise, will probably see a lot of skipped scenes on purchase.  But at least there's an effort made, an emphasis on practical stuff vs CGI always gets my vote.  So I think better of it than some of the other blockbusters just on that note.  

< Message edited by The Todge -- 8/7/2010 9:14:30 PM >

THIS..............is God.

(in reply to rozbates)
Post #: 68
RE: Predators - 8/7/2010 10:20:44 PM   
demoncleaner

Bit of a gyp there only being three Predators.  Well, four.  Three proper ones and a Terry Waite one. 

Post #: 69
About time - 8/7/2010 10:30:59 PM   
Gram Woods

At last a decent sequel to the original, I thought it was pretty damn good, A lot of people complaining about it but that is all bullshit, how much plot do you really expect from a film like this, it was a great sequel, forget the rest they were all shit this is what predator 2 should have been, the Yakuza guy was ace with his samurai style duel and there was enough nods to the the original to connect them well, there was even a line from Aliens, nice!, most of member reviews are weak but the film succeeds and I wasn't at all disappointed, moves at a good pace and no cheesy lines, the only negative comment I agree with is there should have been more of the Falconer thing, but there is room for another film, just hope its as good, or better, than this one. And those of you who said you wanted Arnie back are a bunch of philistines, move with the times dickheads!

Post #: 70
About time - 8/7/2010 10:32:27 PM   
Gram Woods

At last a decent sequel to the original, I thought it was pretty damn good, A lot of people complaining about it but that is all bullshit, how much plot do you really expect from a film like this, it was a great sequel, forget the rest they were all shit this is what predator 2 should have been, the Yakuza guy was ace with his samurai style duel and there was enough nods to the the original to connect them well, there was even a line from Aliens, nice!, most of member reviews are weak but the film succeeds and I wasn't at all disappointed, moves at a good pace and no cheesy lines, the only negative comment I agree with is there should have been more of the Falconer thing, but there is room for another film, just hope its as good, or better, than this one. And those of you who said you wanted Arnie back are a bunch of philistines, move with the times dickheads!

Post #: 71
Kim Newman - 8/7/2010 10:36:40 PM   
Gram Woods

How did you ever get a job reviewing films you idiot? I have come to expect better from Empire, you let the side down in my opinion, go and write for a tabloid!

Post #: 72
RE: Kim Newman - 8/7/2010 10:46:48 PM   
Rgirvan44

The path of least resistance is the philosophy behind Predators. After a pretty good, if unloved sequel and two hate crimes of cinema, the Predator has had it pretty tough these last two decades.

This new film is unlikely to win over new converts to the Predator universe, but it is a solid, well made film which will appeal to fans of the character.

By setting it on another world, which pretty much is Earth apart from maybe one establishing shot of some Moons and planets (which putting my geek hat on looks like the planet where the Predator in AVP: R was hanging out), the production team have taken the familiar and changed it just enough so the film isnít a reboot. Nothing in this film contradicts what has come before. Indeed in one scene a character amusingly recounts the entire plot of the first film in about a minute Ė but of course Predator 2 also established that information was out there.

There is nothing deep in this film. Much like the first film it is designed with the action first and foremost. Much like the previous films we are given a mix of memorable characters and people who donít quite come out from the background. Main man Brody is awesome. You donít doubt for one minute that he is a badass. Which surprised me. Walt Goggins brings some creepy comedy to the fore and Alice Braga is kinda, sorta convincing. Again, something I did not expect. Fishburne brings the awesome. He was great in his role. If they ever make another movie I want it to be a prequel about him.

The action is well staged, and clear. There is plenty of gore.

As for the Predators, they did feel a little underused. I never felt the sense of a chase taking place, and really none of them felt like they had distinct characters. As much as it pains me to say this, Wolf in AvP:R felt more successful in terms of characterisation.. The main Predator was ok Ė but he never felt scary, and compared to the first Predator, just seemed like a stupid thug.

The real winner in this movie is the soundtrack. Predator fans should be delighted, and I could be mistaken, but I think there was a dash of Aliens thrown in here and here. Just a few notes. The credits are great, letting you leave the cinema on a high.

Three stars, bordering on four is just about right. The movie really doesnít bring much new to the table, but what we are presented with is solid, well made action fare and certainly the best summer movie I have seen this year so far. And there is nothing wrong with that.

Edited to add - the sword fight was so stupid. The way the Predator moved was like a Godzilla movie. Sometimes less is more.

< Message edited by Rgirvan44 -- 8/7/2010 10:48:59 PM >

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Gram Woods)
Post #: 73
RE: Kim Newman - 8/7/2010 10:47:11 PM   
Ethanial

Dare you to say that to his face.

Fresh update 2010
Original update 2005.

(in reply to Gram Woods)
Post #: 74
RE: About time - 8/7/2010 10:57:30 PM   
kenada_woo

What is it with the ripping into of Predator 2? Predator 2 is an awesome film.

Anyway, seeing this tomorrow. Looks like a mixed bag so I'll give it the once over.

http://dereksdontrunfilms.blogspot.co.uk/

"You bailed out a Jamaican street named Monkey the other day, I want him. This other piece of shit, Screwface, I want him. I know you're a scumbag and a puke, I don't mind that, but give me what I need and I'll leave here a nice guy. If you don't, I'm gonna fuck you up. "

Hatcher. Marked For Death

(in reply to Gram Woods)
Post #: 75
RE: About time - 8/7/2010 11:02:25 PM   
The REAL Bozz

I really dont think you'll enoy it mate. Then again stranger things have happened. I will say this the part where Brody muds up Dutch style makes sense. It's not just a case of 'lets homage the original'. More so he gets the info relaying that was how Dutch managed to beat the original Predator first time around.

On a side note I just found out originally the Michelle Rodriguez stunt double was a alien shape shifter in the original script. Aint a spoiler as that's not the case in the film but I'm thinking that would have a wicked twist!

Films I've watched
Iron Man 3 *****
Evil Dead (2013) ***
Bait 3D ***

(in reply to kenada_woo)
Post #: 76
RE: About time - 8/7/2010 11:05:02 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: The REAL Bozz

On a side note I just found out originally the Michelle Rodriguez stunt double was a alien shape shifter in the original script. Aint a spoiler as that's not the case in the film but I'm thinking that would have a wicked twist!

Wicked as in awful I presume?

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to The REAL Bozz)
Post #: 77
AWESOME!!! AT LAST A PROPER SUMMER FILM! - 8/7/2010 11:11:58 PM   
boostergold

Great stuff, I loved it, just what I needed to see- mad as balls characters, nods to the previous entries, a decent running time and tension. Please take note Michael Bay, tell the story concisely without me taking a trip to the morgue after cos my arse died in its seat! This and the first movie make decent bookends to the other entries too. Thought the ending was good too, was worried it might end another way but don't want to give any spoilers out so i'll not say. Mr. Newman I don't know what you were expecting; a documentary on paedophile behaviour perhaps? Fishburne was cracking too, well funny and was it just me or did Bales Batman voice overdub Brodys dialogue at the end?!

Post #: 78
RE: About time - 8/7/2010 11:13:41 PM   
The REAL Bozz

Nah, as in good. See I'm open to shit like that. It just depends how you pull it off. It's really subtle in the script. Works to. I mean, it would have expanded things in a good way I think. Also I'd have thought seeing as you love BSG as much as me you may be open to some new things seeing as we both love a tv show about robots who worship God and have feelings etc. Who'd have thought that would av been great?

Films I've watched
Iron Man 3 *****
Evil Dead (2013) ***
Bait 3D ***

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 79
RE: About time - 8/7/2010 11:17:02 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

Nah, as in good. See I'm open to shit like that. It just depends how you pull it off. It's really subtle in the script. Works to. I mean, it would have expanded things in a good way I think. Also I'd have thought seeing as you love BSG as much as me you may be open to some new things seeing as we both love a tv show about robots who worship God and have feelings etc. Who'd have thought that would av been great?

Dude, its Predator.

It might have been awesome if she was a Predator but her mouth was located...

Ahhh, you know where I'm going with this.

Post #: 80
RE: About time - 8/7/2010 11:21:18 PM   
The REAL Bozz

I get ya man but I'm still sticking to my guns.

Overall it was decent but I reckon it's gonna bomb to be honest with you bud. Hope it dont.

I had to laugh when she was goin on about Dutch escaping in Predator 'cause I was half expecting her to continue with-

"There was one other survivour....(Dramatic pause) my MOTHER!'" She did look at bit like Anna from the first flick.

Films I've watched
Iron Man 3 *****
Evil Dead (2013) ***
Bait 3D ***

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 81
RE: About time - 8/7/2010 11:21:52 PM   
Deviation

quote:

Nah, as in good. See I'm open to shit like that. It just depends how you pull it off. It's really subtle in the script. Works to. I mean, it would have expanded things in a good way I think. Also I'd have thought seeing as you love BSG as much as me you may be open to some new things seeing as we both love a tv show about robots who worship God and have feelings etc.

Robots having thoughts and emotions feels nowhere as daft and out-there as a shape-shifting alien would feel in the Predator universe though.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

Post #: 82
RE: About time - 8/7/2010 11:25:05 PM   
The REAL Bozz

I wouldn't have minded, but there we go. Different peeps different beats!

Films I've watched
Iron Man 3 *****
Evil Dead (2013) ***
Bait 3D ***

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 83
Very Enjoyable! - 9/7/2010 12:19:04 AM   
TheHazman

Just got back from the cinema> i really enjoyed the film. Pacing was off at points but other then that it was great. Good action, cool characters and some stand out moments! Plus the mid way cameo was brilliant and hilarious!

Sadly this film can never live up to the original because it is just to iconic, but a very good effort!

Post #: 84
SOLID ACTIONER - 9/7/2010 6:31:24 AM   
Snake-Eyes

Definitely the first REAL Summer Actioner. I had a blast watching this and I'm looking forward to checking it out again.

Post #: 85
RE: 15 certificate - 9/7/2010 7:51:21 AM   
jokerevo

lol this was uninspired garbage quite frankly, not even half the film the original was.

SPOILER

The problem is the jump in scale, they never make it. Alien - Aliens. Doesn't happen here. What we effectively have is a re-mix of Predator. Despite the fact we're on the Predator game reserve they appear to have learnt bugger all from their encounter with Dutch lmao...the mud scene at the end was hilariously bad......it would have been so cool if the Predator had removed his mask to negate Royce's tactic but nooooooo, that's too inspired. Instead he locates him by sound.

END OF SPOILER

The script basically missed every opportunity to out Predator the original. Worst of all, it doesn't even deliver on the action quotient, it is without a single memorable set piece.

Anyone who thinks this is a good movie, well, you're showing your class.

Last 5:
Season of the Witch 2/5
The Social Network 5/5 (pitch perfect)
The Next 3 days 3/5 (30mins too long. Panders to masses)
Tron: Legacy 1/5 (Starts off fine and then implodes)
The Town 3/5 (too predictable)

(in reply to livewire)
Post #: 86
Ho Hum !! - 9/7/2010 9:46:50 AM   
tonyjoe

Van Helsing, The Wolfman and now Predators.....films which sounded way cool when first started but fail to live up to expectations. Not one character can match Arnie`s team in the original Predator, shoddy CGI beasties and a criminal lack of screen time for the Predators themselves. This was just a second rate rehash of the first film and even the limp references to the original were met with embarresed giggles from the audience. V. Disappointed

Post #: 87
RE: Slightly disappointing... - 9/7/2010 10:41:56 AM   
captainrentboy

I watched the film last night and by the time the credits rolled 3/5 seemed about right for the flick. I'll chuck down some personal pros and cons for the flick below...

Pros
- Good special effects, both practical and CGI, the Predi-hounds didn't seem to bother me as much as they did some of the other posters on here, I mean they weren't Blarp from Lost In Space terrible.
- Walton Goggins, I bloody love the crazy looking bastard, he's the best thing in The Shield, the best thing in Justified and probably the best thing in this flick.
- Soundtrack, it's pretty much identical to Predator, so it definitely does the job.
- The characters themselves are a far more varied and interesting bunch than they were in the first Predator flick.
- The action sequences were well shot, not a great deal of shaky cam or stupidly rapid editing and that's good by me.
- Ole Fishbourne was hamming it up to the max, bringing both intentional and unintentional comedy to the film with him.

Cons
- The Predators themselves, whilst the suits they wore were in the same league as any of the other films, they seemed.... Shorter. Therefore they were never really that intimidating next to any of the human characters.
- Pretty much every person who's going to see this flick knows how a Predator film works, and with that in mind it seemed to take this film a strangely long time to get going. It seemed like it was a good 40 minutes or so until we got some Predator action on the go.
- It dragged like a bitch in some sections.
- The gore wasn't poorly done but there can always be more.
- The sword fight was shit.
- The Mortal Kombatesque fatality was poorly edited.
- The big character reveal could be seen a mile off.
- And the biggest problem of all? The lack of Arnie That big bugger basically made the first Predator, with his forever quotable one liners and his literally gigantic on sceen presence, you believed that brick shithouse might've had a chance going up against the original Predator. And with no actor to fill his shoes this new one could never live up to the first flick. To sum up, Adrian Brody is no Arnie.

< Message edited by captainrentboy -- 9/7/2010 12:53:39 PM >

Post #: 88
RE: Jesus... - 9/7/2010 11:53:28 AM   
jimoakley666

quote:

ORIGINAL: Johnny Pneumonia

I'm fucking stunned by the responses on here. Kim Newman forgets everything you lot know about film while he takes a dump in the morning. And Eclipse was reviewed by a different person...how long have you guys been reading Empire? And reading in general?

He's forgetting too much, then. Maybe he should see somebody about that. And he should also be worried about the link between losing knowledge and shedding the contents of his arse at the same time. Oh oh.

In all seriousness though, I couldn't care less about a Predator film and I haven't seen this one. But regardless of that fact, I still think this is a rather pointless, and dare I say it, lazy review. It's an indication of an annoying trend I've been seeing lately in both Empire AND Total Film.

I don't know if it has anything to do with the amount of time the reviewers have from a late screening to an early deadline but there is a bit of a bias to 'certain' movies, shall we say, when in comes to depth and word-count.

Although, I must admit to being very pleased with the attention bestowed upon Moon and The Killer Inside me.

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

(in reply to Johnny Pneumonia)
Post #: 89
RE: Jesus... - 9/7/2010 12:10:59 PM   
jcthefirst

'Meh' is my overall opinion of Predators. Not terrible by a long shot but not especially good either.

I think people seem to be forgetting that while the original Predator was awesome, it was very much tongue in cheek (it had a mid air arm wrestle and a "You Have Been Watching..." credit sequence, FFS). Trying to make a super serious film about it, kinda fails. Hard.

3 stars is spot on.

@Jonny_C85

My Movie Blog | My Other Various Rantings Blog

(in reply to jimoakley666)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Slightly disappointing... Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News††|††Empire Blog††|††Movie Reviews††|††Future Films††|††Features††|††Video Interviews††|††Image Gallery††|††Competitions††|††Forum††|††Magazine††|††Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI