Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

100% RATING ON ROTTEN TOMATOES SO FAR

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> 100% RATING ON ROTTEN TOMATOES SO FAR Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
100% RATING ON ROTTEN TOMATOES SO FAR - 6/7/2010 4:26:13 PM   
MANYOO4EVA

I agree with others on here that this review was poorly put togetheras if written on a cigarette packet. Have a look at the review by Lousie Keller from Urban Cinefile on Rotten Tomatoes - very indepth.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 31
Weak review that barely touches the surface... - 6/7/2010 6:05:33 PM   
cadz

...especially considering that this was so well received amongst critics and the incredibly loyal fanbase.To be honest, coupling this with a 4 star review for the new Twilight movie (AKA, put us on the video cover please,cash money),
I think it's the end of an 'Empire' and I won't be purchasing next month's issue if the standards of film reviews have dropped to this lower column level.
Particularly disappointed to see that it'a Kim Newman too.Ah well

Post #: 32
I love Empire - 6/7/2010 6:30:37 PM   
BritishDave

but Twilight Eclipse 4 stars will always haunt this magazine from now tll eternity.

Post #: 33
Let me get this right... - 6/7/2010 8:46:36 PM   
Lemure

Eclipse is better than Predators? That's a tough one to believe and you've convinced me to try and catch them both this weekend. BUT, I'm now sure Empire has been taken over by 12 year old girls.

Post #: 34
Unbelievable.... - 6/7/2010 10:38:41 PM   
silentcharmer

Y'know what, for awhile now I was starting to think ''Maybe Empire isn't the great magazine that I used to pick up once a month for the last 5 years and that its sold out to promote very specific films for large sums of money''. And now, after seeing that Predators somehow racks up 3 stars despite some fairly awesome reviews elsewhere, and yet Eclipse.....a travesty of its genre, a teeny bop - rip off of a much grander piece of literature to that of 'Interview with the Vampire', has turned up with 4 stars? Tag this next to the fact that Avatar was given 5 stars, and lets face it, it may have been a 5 star experience in 3D but by no means was it a 5 star film. It just proves that Empire has lost its edge, that or its lost taste and some decent journalists and critics.

Post #: 35
Duh!!! - 7/7/2010 10:05:37 AM   
engymaster83

@Belial - Civilisation is spelt with an 's' in the UK dummy!!

Post #: 36
RE: Predators - 7/7/2010 10:30:15 AM   
jimoakley666

quote:

ORIGINAL: Belial

Empire, please hire someone who can spell the word civilization correctly and then I will take one of your reviews seriously. Absolutely horrible review and I hope you aren't paying Kim too much for it.

Why is it so hard to find informative reviews on these supposed "respected" movie sites anymore?

Really?

civilization noun ( DEVELOPED SOCIETY )
(UK usually civilisation) Click to hear the UK pronunciation of this wordClick to hear the US pronunciation of this word/ˌsɪv.əl.aɪˈzeɪ.ʃən/ n

[C or U] human society with its well developed social organizations, or the culture and way of life of a society or country at a particular period in time
Some people think that nuclear war would mean the end of civilization.
Cuzco was the centre of one of the world's most famous civilizations, that of the Incas.

[U] mainly humorous a place that has comfortable living conditions
How does it feel to be back in civilization after all those weeks in a tent?

It was a very lazy review though.

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

(in reply to Belial)
Post #: 37
WHAT IS GOING ON EMPIRE? - 7/7/2010 11:44:40 AM   
Kirkinator

Lets face facts, The predator franchise has never really been about in depth plot and characters, its very uch a boys with their toys all action blood fest. It was never going to be a cinematic masterpiece but a gung ho, fun summer romp.
It seems to me Empire, that you're losing your focus on the movie world. Kim's gone into this film with completely the wrong mindset.
And im sorry to repeat what everyone else has already said but Twilight really is the biggest load of toss ever put into a cinema. Sure, maybe it ticks all the boxes relevant for its tween fan base and it that sense (and only that sense) could it earn 4 stars. But if Empire is giving merit in that way surely predators (if all the other solid reviews i have read of it are true) should garner a 5 star.
Sort it out Empire... Please. This feeling that you gys are losing your edge has been eaking in for a while now. Lets get back to the glory days shall we.

Post #: 38
RE: WHAT IS GOING ON EMPIRE? - 7/7/2010 12:34:52 PM   
grucl

Why is everybody goinig on about Twilight?

DIFFERENT FILMS 
DIFFERENT REVIEWERS
DIFFERENT OPINIONS!!!

< Message edited by grucl -- 7/7/2010 12:37:47 PM >

(in reply to Kirkinator)
Post #: 39
RE: WHAT IS GOING ON EMPIRE? - 7/7/2010 12:40:32 PM   
Rgirvan44

"Waaa!!! The big stupid franchise that guys like got one whole star less than the big stupid franchise that girls like!! Boooo!!!"

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to grucl)
Post #: 40
RE: WHAT IS GOING ON EMPIRE? - 7/7/2010 12:43:13 PM   
Macavity

Wow. Everyone's mouthing off about how 'lazy' the review was as if the film itself is some kind of inventive original piece of work. Have to say I thought it was another crappy money grabbing remake (rather than a Predator 3) from seeing the trailer.

(in reply to Kirkinator)
Post #: 41
idiot - 7/7/2010 12:52:24 PM   
purplegnome

have to agree with most things said kim newman cannot review films well at all as far as im concerned he should be left in the dungeon and the keys thrown away my friends 14 year old daughter wont watch the twighlight films as she says there for kids need more be said.predators one word review awesome

Post #: 42
RE: idiot - 7/7/2010 2:37:29 PM   
alpat24

Ok, hands up here anyone  who has actually seen the film and has there own opinion and can justifiably argue that Kim is wrong in his 3 star review ?  Anybody ..... ? 

Ok, so everyone is just speculating. Why not wait and form your opnion before going off on one!!

And in the context of the films star rating and expectations as it is from a script by Rob Rodiguez and produced by him, surely we should expect something alittle better than a standard wham bang actiion film, with the characters picked off one by one, until our hero has his showdown. We should expect memorable characters,suspense, and action,  the high water mark in this genre is Aliens and Predator funnily enough, so if  you judge this film against those films, (and Aliens is a 5 star film and so is Predator) then you should award stars to Predators accordingly. Although this just my opinion.

Save me jebus !!!
Heavy ? Why is everything so heavy in the future is something wrong with the earths gravitational pull ?

(in reply to purplegnome)
Post #: 43
RE: idiot - 7/7/2010 2:40:31 PM   
Scoop1980

The review is extremely shoddy and slapdash.

I personally can't wait to see this tomorrow night. The better half has promised to take me out for dinner then the film (as a thank you for taking her to see SITC2 - over two hours I will never get back! ) so I'm looking forward to some gore in a Predator-stylee!

On another note - the fact Twilight got a higher review rating is hardly a benchmark to use. Twilight is what it is, sparkly, emo 'vampires' and 'werewolves' fighting over a depressing excuse for a girl who would surely fall apart if she even attempted to smile.

In that respect, it's a four-star film.

Compared to other films? It's a laughable excuse of a movie. Ignore it.

So I guess this is where I tell you what I learned - my conclusion, right? Well, my conclusion is: Hate is baggage. Life's too short to be pissed off all the time. It's just not worth it.

(in reply to purplegnome)
Post #: 44
Not as good as Predator 2 - 7/7/2010 7:30:38 PM   
madcreator12

How come did this get 3 stars and Predator 2 (which sucked) get 4? Surely (though I haven't seen it) this is better? Even in the review itself:
quote:

an underperforming Predator 2
I think a revised review for P2 is needed!

(in reply to livewire)
Post #: 45
RE: Not as good as Predator 2 - 7/7/2010 9:15:14 PM   
crazymoviesdude

You're all sodding fools.

As grucl said:

DIFFERENT FILMS 
DIFFERENT REVIEWERS
DIFFERENT OPINIONS!!!

(in reply to madcreator12)
Post #: 46
RE: Unbelievable.... - 7/7/2010 10:40:36 PM   
rich

quote:

ORIGINAL: silentcharmer

Y'know what, for awhile now I was starting to think ''Maybe Empire isn't the great magazine that I used to pick up once a month for the last 5 years and that its sold out to promote very specific films for large sums of money''.

While bitching about other peoples opinions, including those of journalists, is pointless.... this is an unfortunate fact.

Meanwhile...

(in reply to silentcharmer)
Post #: 47
RE: Unbelievable.... - 7/7/2010 11:15:15 PM   
crazymoviesdude

If Empire's reveiwer's opinions are not in line with your own, using them as a barometer is clearly stupid, and buying the magazine and posting online is even stupider.

This may well have been a bad review, but 3 stars for what I'm sure is a fairly mediocre movie seems apt. Why do all you fanboys just assume that the movie will be good and then get annoyed at reviewers who disagree with your baseless opinion? YOU DON'T KNOW. Just quit attacking people until you've seen it.

(in reply to rich)
Post #: 48
Jesus... - 7/7/2010 11:57:16 PM   
Johnny Pneumonia

I'm fucking stunned by the responses on here. Kim Newman forgets everything you lot know about film while he takes a dump in the morning. And Eclipse was reviewed by a different person...how long have you guys been reading Empire? And reading in general?

Post #: 49
Jesus... - 7/7/2010 11:57:44 PM   
Johnny Pneumonia

I'm fucking stunned by the responses on here. Kim Newman forgets everything you lot know about film while he takes a dump in the morning. And Eclipse was reviewed by a different person...how long have you guys been reading Empire? And reading in general?

Post #: 50
Agreed - Regardless of rating. Lazy review - 8/7/2010 1:55:12 AM   
Dirtyfunkymonkey

"you can tell he’s logged serious gym time". Ooohhh thanks for that. For fucks sake, this isn't heat magazine.
I respect one or two of you defending Kim, his film knowledge is commendable, however there is no denying that regardless of over-all rating, the review is weak, lazy and unimaginative.
And a joke about Predators style of hair, please, how very juvenile and extremely unfunny. It was mildly amusing back in the early 90's.

One rating for review. Not film!

Post #: 51
Jungle Feever! - 8/7/2010 7:44:25 AM   
herbertwest1701

Kim, you are way off base man! Predators 3 is like 4reakin awesom! Adrien Prody (of 'Spliced' fame, and The Pianism) is cast against typewriter, and it's great to see Arnie again with a handlebar moustache and knives. Did you not notice Kim that this movie has Predator Houndz? It is worth another 5 stars for that!!!!!!!!!! I say Jungle Fever has R3turned (awesome tagline), I'm tweeting this from my sleeping bag outside Aldsley Grand, even though I'm the only one in the queue, I'm THAT exited. Preds 4ever man! Kim Newman, I will hunt you down baby and use your spinal column as a keyboard for my KNIFE FINGERS!!!

Post #: 52
RE: Jungle Feever! - 8/7/2010 8:10:39 AM   
crazymoviesdude

quote:

ORIGINAL: herbertwest1701

Kim, you are way off base man! Predators 3 is like 4reakin awesom! Adrien Prody (of 'Spliced' fame, and The Pianism) is cast against typewriter, and it's great to see Arnie again with a handlebar moustache and knives. Did you not notice Kim that this movie has Predator Houndz? It is worth another 5 stars for that!!!!!!!!!! I say Jungle Fever has R3turned (awesome tagline), I'm tweeting this from my sleeping bag outside Aldsley Grand, even though I'm the only one in the queue, I'm THAT exited. Preds 4ever man! Kim Newman, I will hunt you down baby and use your spinal column as a keyboard for my KNIFE FINGERS!!!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, that was one of the funniest things I've read in ages. I really hope you meant that all in jest, but I don't suppose it matters whether you meant it cleverly or seriously.

Nice one my shrewed/stupid (delete as applicable) comrade.

OH, and by the by, it's now on 80% on Rotten Tomatoes, and I'm sure it'll drop when it's been seen. Yes I'm excited about it, and it looks like a great romp with added pred-hounds, but seriously, who expected more than 3 stars? The review was rather pointless and could have had more depth but the rating is as expected and that does me fine.

< Message edited by crazymoviesdude -- 8/7/2010 8:14:26 AM >

(in reply to herbertwest1701)
Post #: 53
C'mon - 8/7/2010 9:38:32 AM   
spyro

'Mahershalalhashbaz Ali'

That's not a real name. That's just mashing the keyboard !

Post #: 54
RE: C'mon - 8/7/2010 12:17:03 PM   
superdan

This is, at best, a 3 star film (though bordering on 2 stars at times). The Empire summary is pretty accurate - it is solid Saturday night action entertainment but nothing more. Brody growls his way through the film and gives a decent enough performance, the rest are able support while Fishbourne hams it up to 11.

Essentially it can be summed up like this: nowhere near as good as Predator, about on a par with Predator 2 and vastly better than AvP and AvP:R.

(in reply to spyro)
Post #: 55
RE: C'mon - 8/7/2010 1:11:24 PM   
Keyser Sozzled

I thnk it is a disgrace that any reviewer, espeically one from a large well known magazine would post a review of a movie that I have not yet seen and would form a different opinion to me and then have tha sheer audacity to give it a rating. I mean I watched the trailers, like, three time already. Fucknig disgraceful.

Empire should sak Kim Newman on the spot.

I have no idea who any of them are, apart from Terry Pratchett who I know has got a beard and keeps going on about killing himself but never does.

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 56
RE: C'mon - 8/7/2010 1:31:35 PM   
kata

Jesus H, this thread is disorientating.  Took me a minute to get my bearings back.

Thought the review was alright, i enjoy Kim Newman's writing.  I'm a pretty big Predator fan and nothing I've seen so far led me to believe this was going to be anything more than average.  Still going to watch it.

You dicks who are blowing a fuse over a star which literally means fuck all need to sort your shit out

XBL: GeneralLee79
PSN: GeneralLee_UK
Steam: GeneralLee_uk

Lovely detective work.

"Don't buy wigs that come off at the wrong time"

(in reply to Keyser Sozzled)
Post #: 57
RE: Jungle Feever! - 8/7/2010 1:44:42 PM   
gordonsalive

quote:

ORIGINAL: herbertwest1701

Dude, thank you!  You made me laugh so much I had to read most of that through tears of joy!

As for the review - not overly impressed, but the ratings on par with what I'd thought this would be, shall see this at our local flea pit as it's only 4.50 a ticket.

"The Pianism, cast against typewriter,"  Oh man thank you, thank you, thank you

'You musn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling.'

(in reply to herbertwest1701)
Post #: 58
RE: Jungle Feever! - 8/7/2010 2:07:02 PM   
Ethanial

Just back from it, I was watching the first half thinking, Yeah, Chris was right, this is funking awesome, Kim was wrong.
But then the second half creeped up, and the entertaining guys in a jungle plot disappeared and became generic survival film, without a single inventive twist, like if the characters from Exam were one note, and yeah, 3/5 is a sensible rating, disappointing as it's the best looking film I've seen this year, sans the terrible CGI, but the kills, the plot, the dialogue, the 'twists' were written in stone from the get go, and weren't dealt with in a way that they knew we knew it would happen.

Fresh update 2010
Original update 2005.

(in reply to gordonsalive)
Post #: 59
Slightly disappointing... - 8/7/2010 3:40:34 PM   
Ramus Kham Mehef

Sorry, I tried to edit my first post but instead it simply entered my edited version as an new separate post, so just ignore this one.

< Message edited by Ramus Kham Mehef -- 8/7/2010 3:51:42 PM >

Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> 100% RATING ON ROTTEN TOMATOES SO FAR Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI