Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Predators

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Predators Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Predators - 6/7/2010 10:37:52 AM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
"If it bleeds...." - 6/7/2010 10:37:52 AM   
Timon

Can't wait. Going with a bunch of friends on Thursday evening!

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
ABOVE REVIEW IS A JOKE!!!! - 6/7/2010 10:43:16 AM   
MANYOO4EVA

Don't care what the review says, I've got my ticket for Thursday and can't wait. This will rock!!!! (Also, go see Rotten Tomatoes.com for more in depth and better reviews than above)

< Message edited by MANYOO4EVA -- 6/7/2010 10:47:38 AM >

Post #: 3
Awesome, but... - 6/7/2010 10:43:40 AM   
mogel96

How the hell does this get a worse review than Twilight! Heracy I say! Heracy!

Post #: 4
RE: Awesome, but... - 6/7/2010 10:56:55 AM   
Rgirvan44

Goodness, the last thing we need is to delve too deeply into Predator society. Although I do like the idea that these guys are just on a weekend hunting trip before going back to the office on Monday and dealing with the Smith account.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to mogel96)
Post #: 5
RE: Awesome, but... - 6/7/2010 10:57:03 AM   
sroey

There is a far better and balanced review over at Den of Geek. The above review is terrible and lazy. How the hell the new Twilight garbage has got 4 stars is beyond me - I may hate this film but the above review just screams - cant be arsed!

(in reply to mogel96)
Post #: 6
RE: Awesome, but... - 6/7/2010 10:58:17 AM   
Rgirvan44

Different reviewers, different films. This ain't a science.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to sroey)
Post #: 7
RE: Awesome, but... - 6/7/2010 11:03:30 AM   
captainrentboy

The film may or may not only be worth the 3 stars it's been given, I wont know until Thursday night but God damn that was another shoddy Newman review.
He's basically told us everything we know from watching any of the full trailers.
How were the special effects?
How were the new additions to the Predator universe, the Predihounds and what not?
Were the action sequences well shot?
Impressive soundtrack?
Lashings of gore?
Quotable script?
Come on man, the plot could've obviously been written on the back of a stamp,''Bad guys get dropped off on hunter planet, Predators start killing them''. I wanted to know about some of the film's other aspects.

Edit- And yes I'm whingy

< Message edited by captainrentboy -- 6/7/2010 11:05:18 AM >

(in reply to sroey)
Post #: 8
Sigh... - 6/7/2010 11:50:08 AM   
M][KE

It may be a 3 star film, but you've given very little justification of your score.

Seriously the reviews on this website are becoming just plain lazy...

Post #: 9
Awesome - 6/7/2010 11:57:47 AM   
Soundwave1984

i still think this film is gonna be amazing, far better than that tiwlight shit, how u can only give this 3 stars is beyond me and that crap 4. this is proper action cinema. ure reviews are gettin worse and worse on here seriously. come on empire, see sum sense and give this a 4 star or more review.

Post #: 10
RE: Predators - 6/7/2010 12:11:51 PM   
Belial

Empire, please hire someone who can spell the word civilization correctly and then I will take one of your reviews seriously. Absolutely horrible review and I hope you aren't paying Kim too much for it.

Why is it so hard to find informative reviews on these supposed "respected" movie sites anymore? 

Comment - civilization is the American spelling for those who need phonetic help for basic spelling. Everyone else spells it correctly as civilisation - perhaps you haven't realised you've been using Microsoft's default US spellchecker?

< Message edited by elab49 -- 10/9/2010 1:59:51 PM >

Post #: 11
RE: Predators - 6/7/2010 12:16:01 PM   
Gazz

Heh, I thought Hewitt would be writing up the review given his enthusiastic twitter post. Seems that the film is getting rather mixed-positive reviews which is a damn sight better than what either of the AvP films got. Still quite looking forward to it!

(in reply to Belial)
Post #: 12
RE: Predators - 6/7/2010 12:19:03 PM   
tftrman

I knew as soon as I saw it got three stars that the moaning would start.

(in reply to Gazz)
Post #: 13
Say what............. - 6/7/2010 12:29:44 PM   
zoz

What a pedestrian and ‘couldn’t care a toss’ review! Hardly in-depth – wow, clichés in an action movie, well what a surprise, how on earth does one avoid clichés in an action movie that isn’t The Hurt Locker etc; haven’t all movies got clichés to a degree? Brody is cast against type so not a cliché there??
Furthermore, do humans not pride themselves on supposedly being a civilised society – yet we have and continue to do so, committed the most unspeakable crimes in our most recent history. Why, perhaps, should the Predators be any different? As some guys have said earlier check out Rotten Toms for better balanced reviews – Is Kim Newman the new Barry Norman?

Post #: 14
Say what............. - 6/7/2010 12:29:53 PM   
zoz

What a pedestrian and ‘couldn’t care a toss’ review! Hardly in-depth – wow, clichés in an action movie, well what a surprise, how on earth does one avoid clichés in an action movie that isn’t The Hurt Locker etc; haven’t all movies got clichés to a degree? Brody is cast against type so not a cliché there??
Furthermore, do humans not pride themselves on supposedly being a civilised society – yet we have and continue to do so, committed the most unspeakable crimes in our most recent history. Why, perhaps, should the Predators be any different? As some guys have said earlier check out Rotten Toms for better balanced reviews – Is Kim Newman the new Barry Norman?

Post #: 15
- 6/7/2010 12:49:37 PM   
granny

This review doesn't fit with my expectations so must be rubbish,
Honestly an awful lot of people don't seem to know what a review is - a subjective option from someone who isn't you the reader.
A threequel to a series which was always little more than Alien in the jungle was never going to be a classic but this still reads as a watchable B-movie and yes,, better than AVP 1 and 2.

Post #: 16
- 6/7/2010 12:49:43 PM   
granny

This review doesn't fit with my expectations so must be rubbish,
Honestly an awful lot of people don't seem to know what a review is - a subjective option from someone who isn't you the reader.
A threequel to a series which was always little more than Alien in the jungle was never going to be a classic but this still reads as a watchable B-movie and yes,, better than AVP 1 and 2.

Post #: 17
RE: Awesome, but... - 6/7/2010 12:53:14 PM   
The Todge

quote:

ORIGINAL: captainrentboy

The film may or may not only be worth the 3 stars it's been given, I wont know until Thursday night but God damn that was another shoddy Newman review.
He's basically told us everything we know from watching any of the full trailers.
How were the new additions to the Predator universe, the Predihounds and what not?
Impressive soundtrack?
Lashings of gore?
Quotable script?
Come on man, the plot could've obviously been written on the back of a stamp,''Bad guys get dropped off on hunter planet, Predators start killing them''. I wanted to know about some of the film's other aspects.

Edit- And yes I'm whingy

Bingo!

Why does anything remotely horror related seem to get thrust into the hands of the unbalanced and lazy Kim fucking Newman?  Does nobody at Empire care?

This is the same dude who gave Jason X four stars! Bah, I'm ignoring this review.  Gonna see this puppy first thing Thursday morning.  Cant wait!

THIS..............is God.

(in reply to captainrentboy)
Post #: 18
Awesome - 6/7/2010 12:53:51 PM   
Ghost Mutt

Afternoon all - saw this last night and can thankfully say it's a pretty remarkable effort. It genuinely is a good film which is a welcome relief as it could have been handled very badly.

SPOILERS

Basically it's not a film of two parts which I imagined Rodriguez to pitch, the film is perfectly paced but the action does start up fairly early.

The central characters are well padded out and the hostility which is evident between them soon fades out as they work together against to survive.

I personally don't agree that the characters are clichéd, that for me evaporated fairly quickly after a misplaced moment between the death row inmate and the Israeli sniper. You actually cared about the group much like you did in the first Predator.

There are some fantastic homage’s which are in no way forced, one or two bits of dialogue from the previous 2 movies are geniusly woven into the script.

The way the characters react to their situation is brilliantly realised and genuinely feels real, they don't instantly know what's going on, conversations sound real never cheesy and there are rarely any ridiculous eureka moments... being 'predators' themselves piece by piece the group to use their collective minds to figure out just where they are...

Plus having Laurence Fisbourne as a 10 season old survivor helps drive the plot and explains the blood feud between the two types of Predators clans (wolves and dogs) ...

For me this was a brilliant effort, a top film which I’d defiantly recommend... a four star effort. Easily. Great film!

quote:

How were the special effects? The special effects are just as you'd expect, there's nothing much you haven't seen before from Predator films with the exception of the dogs, but all in all the cloaking and laser fire looks very polished...

How were the new additions to the Predator universe, the Predihounds and what not? The dogs were used incredibly well, and were the first flash point of action. They're used by the new breed of predators to flush out the group - hoping to isolate the lone runners before dispatching them one by one... however the predators are in full control of them and call them back after a tense battle...

Were the action sequences well shot? Very...

Impressive soundtrack? The soundtrack is identical to the first Predator film which is fantastic and just adds to the enjoyment. Watch out for the end credits. Fan boys will lap this up...

Lashings of gore? Plenty - decapitations, brutal executions and a nod back to a certain Sub-Zero finishing move from Mortal Kombat is a noticeable addition!

Quotable script? Very... the script is probably the tightest out of the three Predators

END SPOILER

Picking my scabs.

Post #: 19
A 15! - 6/7/2010 1:00:43 PM   
cleanbreak films

It's a 15 certificate! What the hell, Rodriguez promised a hard 'R'! I know that the censors have eased up, but a bloody 15, kinda takes the edge off a film when schoolkids can watch it.

Post #: 20
RE: A 15! - 6/7/2010 1:03:50 PM   
Ghost Mutt

Dude - don't worry about it, it's incredibly graphic. Worry me to think what else they could have done with it if it had have been R rated...

quote:

ORIGINAL: cleanbreak films

It's a 15 certificate! What the hell, Rodriguez promised a hard 'R'! I know that the censors have eased up, but a bloody 15, kinda takes the edge off a film when schoolkids can watch it.

Picking my scabs.

(in reply to cleanbreak films)
Post #: 21
RE: Awesome, but... - 6/7/2010 1:23:04 PM   
sroey

quote:

Impressive soundtrack?
Lashings of gore?
Quotable script?

Edit- And yes I'm whingy

Exactly what he said! Thats what I wrote looked like in my head anyway...

Rgirvan44 - I know different films and different reviewers but the Eclipse review actually went into detail and described why it was better than the last (not that its difficult) yet this is just a lazy review. And good spot he did give the god awful Jason X a 4 out of 5. I think I was annoyed at the review more than anything...ranted first, thought after - apologies!

Post #: 22
RE: Awesome, but... - 6/7/2010 1:24:33 PM   
sroey

Oh and Ive booked up see this on Friday night at my local Vue with some mates! Cant wait!

(in reply to sroey)
Post #: 23
RE: Awesome, but... - 6/7/2010 1:30:25 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: sroey

Rgirvan44 - I know different films and different reviewers but the Eclipse review actually went into detail and described why it was better than the last (not that its difficult) yet this is just a lazy review. And good spot he did give the god awful Jason X a 4 out of 5. I think I was annoyed at the review more than anything...ranted first, thought after - apologies!

Sadly on the blockbuster scale Twilight will get the full page review, while Predators will get a half page review. Newman wouldn't be able to go into detail and to be fair, while we know the story, I can safely say your average reader won't.  

(in reply to sroey)
Post #: 24
RE: Awesome, but... - 6/7/2010 1:40:25 PM   
The Todge

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: sroey

Sadly on the blockbuster scale Twilight will get the full page review, while Predators will get a half page review. Newman wouldn't be able to go into detail and to be fair, while we know the story, I can safely say your average reader won't.  

While I take some of your point I will say this.

If you're only getting half a page:

You don't waste a paragraph telling us there's been other Predator films.  We all fucking know this and anybody who doesn;t will find out through the natural order.

And you certainly don't waste another paragraph by telling us the characters are cliched and then list them all! 

What this smacks of to me is a review where the reviewer acually had nothing to say about the film and was scrambling desperately to fill the space by stretching it where he could.  It's a trick I did for a couple of reviews in college, but I expect more from somebody who's paid to do it.

THIS..............is God.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 25
Technically Poor Review - 6/7/2010 2:53:48 PM   
livewire

first of all there's remarkable is very little difference in the length of the reviews. (391 vs 438) but the predators review appears to have been phoned in. Very disappointed but don't really give a rats arse cause i know i'm going to enjoy it anyways. Poor effort on the review though. Actually, does anyone actually come hear to read the reviews anymore or just to read the news and fuck about on the forum.

completely agree with captainrentboy on some aspects you should be including in a review. How were the visuals given a lack of reliance on CGI (apparantly). Any Nods to the Original film. the inclusion of parts of the Original score?

Plus if this is the sum total of the review can i ask what the hell took so long to get it posted. I think you need to do the honorable thing here and activate your arm mounted self destruct device.

**edit: anyone know has snake-eyes seen this yet. He won#'t be happy!**

< Message edited by livewire -- 6/7/2010 2:55:09 PM >

Post #: 26
RE: Awesome, but... - 6/7/2010 3:02:39 PM   
lukemurray

Check out Nev's review of Inception that was just posted, extremely well written and completely spoiler fee. The best Empire review I've read in a long time.

Post #: 27
RE: Awesome, but... - 6/7/2010 3:44:14 PM   
livewire

quote:

ORIGINAL: lukemurray

Check out Nev's review of Inception that was just posted, extremely well written and completely spoiler fee. The best Empire review I've read in a long time.

Maybe Thats why the pedators review is so lack lustre. Because Kims Pissed off he didn't get to review Inception.

I`ve never had a message for anyone in my entire life. Except maybe to give out my room number" - Bonn Scott 1946 – 1980

Punchdrunk - 1981 - 2010

(in reply to lukemurray)
Post #: 28
RE: 15 certificate - 6/7/2010 4:05:35 PM   
MANYOO4EVA

This film has been given a 15 certificate but I read (cant recall where) that NOTHING has been cut. The first Predator would be a 15 today as people are more exposed nowadays to violence and can tolerate it. I think Predator 2 would still be 18 due to sex and drugs references and was more violent.

Post #: 29
RE: 15 certificate - 6/7/2010 4:25:41 PM   
livewire

Here's another review of the film that makes for a much better read. - http://www.filmshaft.com/predators-review/

I`ve never had a message for anyone in my entire life. Except maybe to give out my room number" - Bonn Scott 1946 – 1980

Punchdrunk - 1981 - 2010

(in reply to MANYOO4EVA)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Predators Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI