Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: The film that made me sit up and take notice of Nolan

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: The film that made me sit up and take notice of Nolan Page: <<   < prev  23 24 25 [26] 27   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The film that made me sit up and take notice of Nolan - 26/9/2010 6:07:46 PM   
McGeesJabberwock

Inception is a film that has been greatly anticipated, but how could it not be, when Christopher Nolan is at the helm? After Nolan reinvented Batman in Batman Begins and solidified that reinvention as a piece of cinematic art in The Dark Knight, he has been considered one of the greatest directors of this generation.

It may have been The Dark Knight that helped build up interest for Inception, but what audiences were promised was something quite different. The trailers, with the loud noises and imagery of a sun-dappled city folding in on itself like a book being closed, confused yet intrigued. Then there was the plot being based around dreams. Dreams have always been a fascinating subject for any form of fiction to tackle, a great starting point for explorations of the human psyche and the nature of reality. Nolan, having made so many films with psychological undertones, seemed born to make a film about dreams, and he makes an excellent one.

The story of Inception, not to give too much away, revolves around Dom Cobb (Leonardo DiCaprio) who lives in a world where entering and exploring the dreams of others is possible. Cobb is an expert at the science of extracting secrets from other people’s minds through entering their dreams, and while it has been useful, it has also ruined his life and means he has had to move away from his children. He is then approached by Arthur (Joseph Gordon-Levitt), who wants him to use interception, the art of using dream travel to put an idea into someone’s mind. Realising this may be the only way he may ever see his children again, he decides to go through with this, aided by young Adriane (Ellen Page), who he teaches about using dreams to build things, and a ‘dream team’. His task is made a little more difficult as his dreams and his memories begin to intertwine.

The story of Inception may not be as confusing as some people have said, but the viewer is still likely to get lost in places and it may require a second viewing. That is not a bad thing, though, far from it. If a film makes one want to see it again, doesn’t that mean it has done something right? Eraserhead’s plot may not have made much sense but the confusion it brought was appropriate for its subject matter. Likewise, dreams usually are confusing, but make sense in their own strange way, and Inception, being a film based on dreams, feels the same. The characters are facing a strange and unusual situation which would undoubtedly disorientate them, and the audience is disorientated as much as the dream team are.

The movie is worth seeing for the spectacle of the dream-worlds alone. When the Cobb of reality is plunged into water, the house of his dreams is instantly flooded. These dream worlds feature Escher-esque stairways and trains that run on roads. Things that are out of the ordinary, but are also strangely fitting.

Like DiCaprio’s character in Shutter Island, and probably every protagonist of a thriller, Cobb is still trying to get over the death of his wife. The story and setting mean that this element is implemented in a different, more creative way than one would initially expect, and seeing it unfold is one of the film’s biggest highlights.

One of the best things about Christopher Nolan’s movies is that the characters are usually going to be excellently cast, Heath Ledger’s phenomenal Joker being a strong example. So it is no surprise that DiCaprio, while not reaching the heights of Ledger’s famed villain, is brilliantly cast as the dream-exploring Dom Cobb. His performance is natural, sympathetic and believable, and his best scenes are those with his wife. Joseph Gordon-Levitt also creates a strong performance, as do Page and Cillian Murphy, who plays the target of the inception. Michael Caine also has a small but noticeable appearance as Cobb’s father, where he brings the same warmth and wisdom he did as Alfred Pennyworth.

People are hailing this movie as Nolan’s greatest work. It’s different enough from The Dark Knight that the two movies shouldn’t really be compared, but Inception does show Nolan is truly a genius, and the film industry needs more people like him.
Post #: 751
RE: Really wanna see it NOW - 29/9/2010 8:16:48 PM   
achengms

I just watched Inception and absolutely loved it. At last a movie that justified all the hype around it.

Singapore company registration
Post #: 752
RE: Inception (2010) - 7/10/2010 5:47:53 AM   
citygirl23

Loved it - v intriguing film with some great performances. I really enjoyed Tom Hardy's performance as Eames - mischevious and engaging - and I can't believe no one else has mentioned him. This is a definite purchase on DVD when it comes out.
Post #: 753
RE: Inception (2010) - 9/10/2010 9:23:37 AM   
tftrman

quote:

ORIGINAL: citygirl23

Loved it - v intriguing film with some great performances. I really enjoyed Tom Hardy's performance as Eames - mischevious and engaging - and I can't believe no one else has mentioned him. This is a definite purchase on DVD when it comes out.

Welcome to the boards, but if you read through this thread and others on the subject of Inception you'll see a lot of people have rightly praised Hardy's performance.

(in reply to citygirl23)
Post #: 754
RE: Inception (2010) - 9/10/2010 4:19:35 PM   
Keyser Sozzled

[quoteHow can a van take almost a half hour to fall from a bridge? ][/quote]

Please be kidding....

I have no idea who any of them are, apart from Terry Pratchett who I know has got a beard and keeps going on about killing himself but never does.

(in reply to tftrman)
Post #: 755
- 27/12/2010 3:38:07 PM   
marcon1987

Brilliant, innovative, complex and very very enjoyable

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 756
Massively Over-Rated - 29/12/2010 11:28:01 AM   
fiercehairdo

Inception is THE most over-rated film of 2010. It is utter nonsense. It has absolutely nothing to say about the real life experience of dreaming. Instead it concocts a load of contrived gobbledegook in order to give itself a plot. Dreams within dreams having different timescales that can be exactly synchronized - eh?? If you die in the dream you wake up - eh?? oh hang on, we need some stakes in this movie, lets just re hash it halfway through - if you die in the dream you die! Rubbish! The entire snow section is sub sub sub bad Roger Moore James Bond. Most of the so-called action is simply boring. Impressive set pieces and visual effects are given no dramatic thrust so you just end up admiring the technical ingenuity of the film makers but just wish they'd get on with it.
The film is complicated without ever being sophisticated. This has convinced many less discerning viewers that they're watching a masterpiece. Instead, to me, it feels like a computer game with too many rules that you can't actually interact with.
It is an inferior remake of The Matrix. The team of heros have to 'plug-in' to a dream world where real world rules don't apply. If you die in the dream world it's fatal in real life etc... But at least the Matrix had exciting action scenes. This is just dull - endless shaky cam shots of anonymous snow baddies being taken out - zzzzzzzz!
Just compare any David Lynch film to Inception to see how badly it handles portraying dreams. Dreams are fluid, uncertain, chaotic, random, unpredictable, surreal, amorphous. A film like Lynch's Eraserhead perfectly creates and sustains a dream like atmosphere it's entire length. Inception just feels so tedious, ordinary and un-dreamlike in comparison.

Post #: 757
INCEPTION THE TRUTH - 4/1/2011 3:42:22 PM   
Senton

I'm not gonna do what people do and give avatar one star because it was overated but i beleive you have made inception, this years avatar. An overly praised but actually quite flawed and dreary, cliched piece of work by a well known visionary with a movie that should have delivered more. Marion cotillard is wooden and definitely not engaging and leo is playing the same greiving character before and so not that mesmerising a performance, not even when I first saw it in Shutter island. This was a cheap Matrix ripoff, except more unitellible as if they made up the rules as they went along and sorely in need of tension and purpose. Nolan HAS disappeared up his own ass. Batman 3 save us!

Post #: 758
RE: I still can't get out of my head... - 5/1/2011 2:26:38 PM   
fiercehairdo

quote:

ORIGINAL: BatSpider

.. the fact that Inception sucks, and Chris "12 certificate" Nolan can't choreograph fight scenes to save his life, and has never directed a shagging scene after how many movies? Even Spielberg's done a few of those. There are no challenging themes in his movies - nothing controversial or confrontational whatsoever. By challenging I don't mean convoluted. Nolan is the Dettol of action / fantasy movies - sterile, safe, manufactured, and designed for mass consumption. His biggest trick is planting the idea in enough people's brains that his movies are "intellectual". Self-serving intellectual popcorn more like. That's the real inception, and sheep mentality does the rest.  

I completely agree with you BatSpider.

(in reply to BatSpider)
Post #: 759
BRILLIANT! - 5/1/2011 4:12:48 PM   
linkinpython

Inception is AMAXING end of, dont listen to the guy who gave it 2 stars because nolan has never had a "shagging scene" in his movies hes obviously an uneducated moron, go buy this film its brilliant!

Post #: 760
Whats with all this talk about the ending, it's a joke ... - 6/1/2011 2:44:11 PM   
Senton

How can people be so stupid and focus on the ending so much, its a typical joke ending, you got people wondering so much, what they need to do is focus on the film more and see how impossibly incomprehensible this film is, making up rules as they go along, there is no risk or danger to the characters

Post #: 761
RE: Whats with all this talk about the ending, it's a j... - 6/1/2011 9:48:02 PM   
chambanzi

The reason you guys are slating the film is because you are viewing it as an action film where there has to be "danger." There was danger in the film but ignoring that anyway the main reason I liked the film was because of the emotion.
Marion Cotillard's performance gave me chills, alluring yet terrifying. I cannot believe somebody called her wooden?
The visuals were fantastic agreed but look past that and see the emotion beneath it and the theme of uncertainty- life is full of uncertainty but at the end Leo moves on- we don't know if what he is living in is an illusion because the totem keeps spinning but thats the point of the film- we accept the uncertainty and risk.
He makes a conscious decision to just be there for his kids, his mind is tricking him into believing it is not real until he doesn't know what reality is anymore so he just gets on with it and comes home- there is a lot of rich metaphors in that.

As for the dreams I thought they were well thought out, it is so true that we end up in the middle of our dreams with no idea how we got there and yes the dreams weren't surreal/artistic stuff like Lynch's films but the point of the film was never to be an artistic film so that is a ridiculous comparison.

Also how is it is Matrix rip off? It is nothing like The Matrix! The Matrix is an action film which is virtual reality and people are plugged into machines giving it a whole sci-fi style. Inception we don't know what the world is- it's uncertainty and people have the ability to enter each others dreams and can get lost in what is real and what isn't (which served a great metaphor for how we can sometimes get lost in our thoughts and get so worried by then its hard to come back to reality.)

The films are nothing alike. As for them making up the rules as they went along I thought the rules were explained pretty simply and effectively, I guess you just got bored or something which is fair enough as perhaps the movie isn't for you but there's no need to call it a rip off and the like.

(in reply to Senton)
Post #: 762
RE: Whats with all this talk about the ending, it's a j... - 7/1/2011 5:08:00 PM   
BigKovacs

I really enjoyed it but it was complication over sophistication. A goo film and as already pointed out, great manipulation of physics only to be let down by very weak action pieces. I'd give it a 3.5 stars.

Gamertag: Cambo1979.

(in reply to chambanzi)
Post #: 763
RE: Whats with all this talk about the ending, it's a j... - 7/1/2011 5:09:47 PM   
BigKovacs

I really enjoyed it but it was complication over sophistication. A goo film and as already pointed out, great manipulation of physics only to be let down by very weak action pieces. I'd give it a 3.5 stars.

(in reply to chambanzi)
Post #: 764
The best film of 2010. Hands down. - 7/1/2011 10:03:38 PM   
nc_jj

"Inception" is just pure brilliance, and Nolan's masterpiece. It's carefully crafted direction, skilful writing and superb performances make this new instant sci-fi classic the best film of 2010. A Great Movie.

Post #: 765
Brilliant and unique - 8/1/2011 10:25:37 PM   
paulcarey95

Theres notthing like inception. Ive watched films that have had to make you think. If you watch inception half sleeping or after a night of drinking the film may not be such a masterpeice. But even if it confuses the hell out of you youll still be entertained. But if you follow it carefully and are not an idiot you will be over this movie like rosie odonnel over a box of donuts. I think its because your thinking about it that much it sucks you in. Your going into fishers head with cobb,arthur,that british guy and them other people whos names i forget. Its the best film of 2010 by miles. And id say the hallway fight scene is one of the best scenes ive seen in along time. Christopher Nolan is a genius. He made Batman cool again. (Compared to George Clooneys Batman). And then he makes inception. I really dont know how he came up with the idea of this movie. If any normal person came up with the idea of inception there head would explode. Literally! For that i have the highest respect for the man. If he asked me if he could have a bit of fun with MY girlfreind. I would say hell yeah! I cant beleive i just admitted that but a well. :)

Post #: 766
RE: Brilliant and unique - 11/1/2011 12:37:02 PM   
ongbakdan

I caught this at the cinema twice and last night was the first time I've watched it since then. I must point out I loved it in the cinema but being honest was expecting on this small screen viewing, that some of the gloss and sheen had rubbed off. How wrong I was!

I love Inception. I by no means think it is perfect, infact its hard to define what type of film its trying to be, sci-fi, action thriller etc... But for me, whatever faults it has are far out weighed by its positive points.

I find the subject matter interesting....dreams within dreams....yes it might be a load of old gash, but who cares? Its the kind entertaining fiction that I want to be sucked into. I think the story plays out with great pacing leading to a satisfying climax. The characters are all interesting and fleshed out enough for you to care about them. Visually its strong it both its style and special effects. An to top it all off I think the sound track is superb.

Overall I would say that Inception is a pure moive it terms of escapism. It really transports me to a place where I dont even question the science behind how they can go into dreams, I just believe it. For me that is the art of good story telling.

5 Stars.

How far would you go to get your answers? What would you be willing to do?

(in reply to paulcarey95)
Post #: 767
To Chambanzi - 13/1/2011 12:55:16 PM   
Senton

I did say cotillard was wooden, and stand by it, the only chills i got were from her emotionless and lack of investment in her character which really spoils the film considering she pops up all the time. It is derivative of the Matrix, in the matrix there were many unreal moments (jumping across buildings, stopping bullets, deja vu, brick walls appearing) you've got to be joking it was full of surreal moments.
I don't judge it as a action film either but personally i didnt hear all the rules as there were too many to keep track of and lets face it, even empire admitted the cottilard di caprio story was identical to the shutter island plot. So there!

Post #: 768
RE: Inception - 13/1/2011 10:21:27 PM   
jrewing1000

I've just watched Inception for the second time, and I'm really disappointed. I REALLY wanted to like this, and discover elements, depths and understandings of the film that make me enjoy it all the more. This happened with The Departed, but unfortunately watching Inception a second time for me just confirmed what overrated nonsense this is.

Nolan is undoubtedly a master filmmaker. He takes risks, executes his movies with such skill and art that it's difficult to dislike his work. But Inception seems too complicated and over-reaching for even Nolan to deal with. He himself says he had been working on this for 10 years, enough to drive a demanding creative person like him a little too 'layer obsessed'.

Watching a second time threw up even more clearly the problems I had the first time round. No, I wasn't 'dreaming', Inception really DIDN"T make any sense. For example, Eames says, while they are about to go to the second level, "so now we're trapped in Fisher's mind battling an army". This is completely incorrect because they aren't IN Fisher's dream. What he should have said was 'so we're trapped WITH Fisher's mind'. This was infuriating because I was desperately trying to understand the mechanics of how the dream levels / dream leaders concept worked. But with inconsistencies like this, I lost faith in the entire premise.

I'm now resolved - Inception is masterfully executed nonsense. All I can do is genuinely applaud Nolan's effort, but for me - it's just not good enough.

< Message edited by jrewing1000 -- 13/1/2011 10:34:15 PM >

Post #: 769
RE: Inception - 13/1/2011 11:37:52 PM   
BigKovacs

I agree although I'm more forgiving. I need to see it again to get it right but I'm sure there are other plot holes that are well covered but would actually kill the story. Like the falling to wake you up. That would only work physically, so doing it in dreams where there isn't gravity is pointless yet this hinges all dream layers together.

I think they glossed over the point that beocuse the characters are dreaming they can do anything, like suddenly become mountain ninjas. Nolan should have been more specific as to how that worked.

Also I think it can be linked to the Matrix for it's core mechanic, how can it not? They're almost identical.

(in reply to jrewing1000)
Post #: 770
RE: Inception - 16/1/2011 5:50:07 PM   
jrewing1000

Yes, it can be linked to the Matrix, as a few people have pointed out. But I think the W.Brothers seemed to make more of an effort to create a solid premise that holds up to scrutiny. I guess it sits in that 'alternate reality' category.

I really don't think it's good enough to create something that's so complicated and ultimately so confusing, that your audience dismiss their lack of understanding because they think they haven't thought about it enough - as if further thought will uncover all the mysteries and complexities that have so far eluded them. Nolan should have made sure every single part of this story works. And when I say 'works', i don't mean coming up with a handful of 'get out of jail free' cards such as 'but that's how limbo works in this film!'.

It's the challenge all storytellers have to rise to - to tell a story that utterly convices the audience without confusing them. There's a massive difference between confusion and ambiguity, and I think Nolan crossed the line.

(in reply to BigKovacs)
Post #: 771
RE: Inception - 16/1/2011 5:50:59 PM   
jrewing1000

Yes, it can be linked to the Matrix, as a few people have pointed out. But I think the W.Brothers seemed to make more of an effort to create a solid premise that holds up to scrutiny. I guess it sits in that 'alternate reality' category.

I really don't think it's good enough to create something that's so complicated and ultimately so confusing, that your audience dismiss their lack of understanding because they think they haven't thought about it enough - as if further thought will uncover all the mysteries and complexities that have so far eluded them. Nolan should have made sure every single part of this story works. And when I say 'works', i don't mean coming up with a handful of 'get out of jail free' cards such as 'but that's how limbo works in this film!'.

It's the challenge all storytellers have to rise to - to tell a story that utterly convices the audience without confusing them. There's a massive difference between confusion and ambiguity, and I think Nolan crossed the line.

(in reply to BigKovacs)
Post #: 772
RE: Inception - 16/1/2011 5:54:29 PM   
jrewing1000

Sorry for the duplicate post. Seems like the forum is playing up.

Just watched a bit of the South Park parody. They summed it up perfectly 'it's so complex it's cool.' Couldn't have said it better myself.

(in reply to jrewing1000)
Post #: 773
EXCELLANT NOT EXCEPTIONAL - 30/1/2011 4:43:21 AM   
Snake 4Skin

Very good blockbuster.Don't really kno why most folk are confused by it,seemed pretty straight 4ward 2me.I thought how 'it was done' more interestin than how 'the plot worked',could actually see the end coming from the start.But that didnt detract too much from the experience,and to me that shows how good the film is as entertainment,yes it did get the synapses going but not too much.Inceptionally executed but did not leave an Inception in my subconcious.

Post #: 774
RE: Inception - 3/2/2011 11:50:39 AM   
jackamla

The story can be told for certain phrases, or did not say anything. Here is a film about the immune spoilers: If you knew how it ended, telling you nothing if you do not know how it got there.

Post #: 775
RE: Really wanna see it NOW - 3/2/2011 11:51:55 AM   
jackamla

The story can be told for certain phrases, or did not say anything. Here is a film about the immune spoilers: If you knew how it ended, telling you nothing if you do not know how it got there.

(in reply to Antonio Montana)
Post #: 776
Inception Blu Ray - 7/2/2011 9:39:21 PM   
Maca007

Just watched it on BD and can't ever remember seeing a more perfect film visually. Whilst it is extremely complex in areas such as how the detail contained within your subconscious mind is diluted through 3 layers to your conscious self I have to say that I do think it is a tour de force of original film making and sets a new watermark for intelligent blockbusters. And Empire your damn right it is as emotional as hell in no small part due to Hans Zimmer's wonderful score particularly at the movie's climax, i'm not ashamed to say I felt like blubbing like a baby. I only wish that the totem would have fallen but I guess that's the mark of a good movie eh? It leaves you with questions, answers, emotions and above all memories - good, bad, happy, sad and indifferent. Thanks Mr Nolan and please make a Bond movie one day we all know you want to!

Post #: 777
NOLAN JUST GETS BETTER - 24/2/2011 7:40:30 PM   
bobbyperu

Wthout doubt the best blockbuster since the Dark Knight

Post #: 778
Amaizing - 6/3/2011 11:20:25 AM   
the film man

This is by far my favourite film of all time and Christopher Nolan has done it again.

Post #: 779
Inception - 7/3/2011 5:47:35 PM   
Harri Singh

What can i say. This is a phenomenal film!!! and i genuinely mean that. Christopher Nolan just keeps on getting better. however, before, i thought Nolan movies were slightly overrated with the particular likes of Mememto and the dark knight, they were good movies but not exceptional in my opinion. Whereas inception blew me away in terms of the action, the well constructed story telling as well as the idea of dream invasion and the 'deam within a dream' which i thought was genius and intriguing because we all have dreams we cannot remember. the cast also desrves a mention because all the actors were brilliant!!! i think the cast worked because they all come from different walks of life such as Saito, Eames and Yusuf - this worked brilliantly and was nice to see. i rarely watch movies twice but i had to make an exception with inception because its was an absolute tou de force of a movie and sets the benchmark how clever storytelling should be. Do yourself a favour and watch this movie and be amazed. theres no need to concentrate hard like with memento, just sit and relax. Christopher Nolan, you are a genius!

< Message edited by Harri Singh -- 7/3/2011 5:50:46 PM >

Post #: 780
Page:   <<   < prev  23 24 25 [26] 27   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: The film that made me sit up and take notice of Nolan Page: <<   < prev  23 24 25 [26] 27   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI