Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Full Metal Jacket

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Full Metal Jacket Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Full Metal Jacket - 9/2/2006 4:07:17 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
RE: Full Metal Jacket - 9/2/2006 5:47:38 PM   
theappleman

The first half of the movie is outstanding but the second half could have been better and longer.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
RE: Full Metal Jacket - 9/2/2006 7:56:12 PM   
Dark Angel

The end part with the sniper is very good, and almost on a par with the first half, but the rest of the second half in Vietnam does drag a bit. Full Metal Jacket is not one of my favourite Kubricks but that doesn't mean it isn't a good film.

(in reply to theappleman)
Post #: 3
Full Metal Jacket - 26/4/2006 7:37:29 PM   
wdruck

Totally agree with above users. The first half when they're in training is great, but the second half is all samey and gets very tedious where different things should've happened rather than just random shooting. Still a very good movie.

Post #: 4
Full Fetal Jacket - 30/4/2006 10:41:35 AM   
rawkins

One of Kubricks best films although the first half is much better than the second. An excelent movie and worth watching.

Post #: 5
what the hell are you lot talking about??? - 25/5/2006 12:03:51 AM   
gary1976

this film is without doubt one of the best vietnam films out there. Darker and more disturbing than Platoon, the sheer intensity of this film will keep it in your mind for weeks

Post #: 6
Full Metal Jacket - 12/3/2007 7:18:22 PM   
sneekysneade

One of his best along with A Clockwork Orange and 2001: A Space Odyssey, he ceases to amaze with such a thrilling and thought provoking film, it still leaves me amazed as the film follows the demise of Pvt. Pyle to some of the soldiers in the battlefield, although i do have to have to agree with someones earlier review, some parts do drag on a bit, but overall its was and still is and hopefully will still remain a cracking film

Post #: 7
Full Metal Jacket - 12/3/2007 7:18:29 PM   
sneekysneade

One of his best along with A Clockwork Orange and 2001: A Space Odyssey, he ceases to amaze with such a thrilling and thought provoking film, it still leaves me amazed as the film follows the demise of Pvt. Pyle to some of the soldiers in the battlefield, although i do have to have to agree with someones earlier review, some parts do drag on a bit, but overall its was and still is and hopefully will still remain a cracking film

Post #: 8
- 25/3/2007 2:11:18 PM   
willchadwick

Fantastic but the second half is a let down compared to the first half with R. Lee Ermey's superb drill instructor

Post #: 9
- 21/10/2007 1:50:53 AM   
bobbyperu

3 stars is insulting

Post #: 10
- 21/10/2007 1:50:54 AM   
bobbyperu

3 stars is insulting

Post #: 11
- 22/10/2007 5:02:47 PM   
bobbyperu

sir no sir - 3 stars your takin the piss

Post #: 12
- 22/10/2007 5:02:47 PM   
bobbyperu

sir no sir - 3 stars your takin the piss

Post #: 13
- 1/2/2008 1:15:35 PM   
Leomuse

Kubrick's worst film.

Post #: 14
- 28/2/2008 5:18:58 PM   
dgribble

I see what Empire means, I found a little uneven, and I feel they should have showed more of their training at bootcamp rather than the drill instructour yelling, but then again R.Lee Emery's performance is the reason why you would watch this film, and it didn't show veitnam the hell it was, as well as platoon did, but it is still a good effort on Kubricks part, and it shows that some men can snap even before they reach the battlefeild.

Post #: 15
- 9/3/2008 11:48:35 AM   
willchadwick

Devastating, powerful and dark. It may not be Kubrick's best but it still stays with you long after viewing 3 stars is harsh and maybe 5 stars is a bit generous. Everything is impeccably crafted and it is well crafted and certainly better than most of the VIetnam movies that came out in the 80's.

Post #: 16
- 9/3/2008 11:48:35 AM   
willchadwick

Devastating, powerful and dark. It may not be Kubrick's best but it still stays with you long after viewing 3 stars is harsh and maybe 5 stars is a bit generous. Everything is impeccably crafted and it is well crafted and certainly better than most of the VIetnam movies that came out in the 80's.

Post #: 17
- 8/7/2008 8:54:11 PM   
seinfeld_55

worst empire review

Post #: 18
- 8/7/2008 8:54:13 PM   
seinfeld_55

worst empire review

Post #: 19
If war is hell, then should this film even EXIST? - 21/7/2008 1:55:24 PM   
blaud

Cuz it sure ain't hellish

Post #: 20
- 19/9/2008 9:41:59 PM   
Rudiger Bonestown

3 stars? fuck off. you give crappy overrated films like pulp fiction and others 5 stars and cant see how much better full metal jacket is. so what if he didnt make it like the boring as hell 2001, its a great movie

Post #: 21
- 24/9/2008 10:35:58 AM   
SkullKassidy

I kinda have to agree with Empire here ...the first act of the movie with the training boot camp is gripping cinema ...but the second act in the war actually drags alot for me.

Post #: 22
- 25/9/2008 4:50:18 PM   
Hamsterwalt

LET ME SEE YOUR WARFACE!!!!!!

Post #: 23
RE: - 9/4/2009 6:10:47 PM   
dhowdy

this should be worth 5 stars for the drill seargent scene alone

(in reply to Hamsterwalt)
Post #: 24
RE: RE: - 9/4/2009 6:57:20 PM   
wgamador

A fucking classic........5/5.......

"Your days of finger bangin Mary jane rotten crotch through her pretty pink panties are OVER!!!"

"What is your major malfunction, numbnuts? Didn't Mommy and Daddy show you enough attention as a child?"

"I admire your honesty. Hell I like you. You can come over to my house and fuck my sister."

"you climb obstacles like old people fuck."

"Are you quitting on me?! Well, are you?! Then quit, you slimy fucking walrus-looking piece of shit! Get the fuck off of my obstacle! Get the fuck down off of my obstacle! Now! Move it! I'm going to rip your balls off, so you cannot contaminate the rest of the world! I will motivate you if it short-dicks every cannibal on the Congo!"

< Message edited by wgamador -- 9/4/2009 7:01:56 PM >

"And as he, who with laboring breath has escaped from the deep
to the shore, turns to the perilous waters and gazes..."

(in reply to dhowdy)
Post #: 25
RE: RE: - 9/4/2009 7:58:19 PM   
jobloffski

Personally I think the second half is equal to the first.

The first half breaks Private Pyle's personality, spirit and dignity. The second half robs Private Joker of his.

War is hell, and you will either be broken by the process of getting ready for it, or broken more slowly, and forever by the experience of it.

Neither half works properly without the other, and Kubrick very specifically had Hartman say 'What's this Mickey Mouse shit?' in the first half to tie both halves together (and in anticipation of people not understanding the ending!).

Yes, it's funny to see Pyle being berated, but that's the trick Kubrick was pulling, to make the audience laugh at Pyle, and thereby be complicit in his destruction. The film makes me ask questions of my own behaviour and whether I want to be part of the group, laughing at the weakest in order to avoid being the one the group tun on next (you'll note Joker tried to help Pyle at first, even helping him keep his identity by calling him by his name, Leonard, before he gives up on Pyle and joins in with the punishment, even while still not wishing to do so, beating Pyle all the harder for making him feel so guilty).

I still laugh at the abuse of pyle while watching the film, but it is very uneasy laughter these days, cos it really aint all THAT funny to humiliate someone so much they lose the will to live! 

< Message edited by jobloffski -- 9/4/2009 8:09:46 PM >

Yes, dreamers dream and doers do. But if dreamers DON'T dream, doers don't have anything TO do. Everything that is only here because people exist, only exists because someone thought of it., or in other words, dreamed it.

(in reply to wgamador)
Post #: 26
RE: RE: - 11/4/2009 12:23:12 AM   
Paxton

quote:

ORIGINAL: jobloffski

Personally I think the second half is equal to the first.

The first half breaks Private Pyle's personality, spirit and dignity. The second half robs Private Joker of his.

War is hell, and you will either be broken by the process of getting ready for it, or broken more slowly, and forever by the experience of it.

Neither half works properly without the other, and Kubrick very specifically had Hartman say 'What's this Mickey Mouse shit?' in the first half to tie both halves together (and in anticipation of people not understanding the ending!).

Yes, it's funny to see Pyle being berated, but that's the trick Kubrick was pulling, to make the audience laugh at Pyle, and thereby be complicit in his destruction. The film makes me ask questions of my own behaviour and whether I want to be part of the group, laughing at the weakest in order to avoid being the one the group tun on next (you'll note Joker tried to help Pyle at first, even helping him keep his identity by calling him by his name, Leonard, before he gives up on Pyle and joins in with the punishment, even while still not wishing to do so, beating Pyle all the harder for making him feel so guilty).

I still laugh at the abuse of pyle while watching the film, but it is very uneasy laughter these days, cos it really aint all THAT funny to humiliate someone so much they lose the will to live! 

Absolutely. The two halves of the movie are completely co-dependent.

The cut to "me so horny" only works as brilliantly as it does in establishing the desmadre the troops walked into on Vietnamese soil, because it comes off the back of something absolutely horrific. I remember Channel 4 or ITV fucking the film up horribly on a late night screening by putting a 5 minute ad break slap bang in between the two parts.

A screenwriter friend recently pointed something out to me by way of a very telling question:

"How many Vietnamese troops do you actually see fighting in this movie? And when you do see them, who are they and what state are they in?"

And people say that this is a poor example of Kubrick's work. Pfffffffff...

I drink your milkshake.

Films I am jazzed for:

Not a whole lot these days...

(in reply to jobloffski)
Post #: 27
- 24/8/2009 3:06:57 AM   
vermin101

While the first half is satire at its best, the second half wallows in stupidity

Post #: 28
wtf empire? - 19/9/2009 9:48:00 AM   
snatch099

this movie is a bloody awesome war epic. the scenes with sergeant hartman are mint and the war scenes are extremely moving. i don't know what negative drug that that tight ass ian nathan was on while
watching this brilliant film because it is easily one of kubricks best.

Post #: 29
wtf empire? - 19/9/2009 9:48:03 AM   
snatch099

this movie is a bloody awesome war epic. the scenes with sergeant hartman are mint and the war scenes are extremely moving. i don't know what negative drug that that tight ass ian nathan was on while
watching this brilliant film because it is easily one of kubricks best.

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Full Metal Jacket Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI