Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Dante's 15 favorite TV performances

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Dante's 15 favorite TV performances Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 4 [5]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Dante's 15 favorite TV performances - 12/7/2010 1:57:27 PM   
Piles

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dantes Inferno

quote:

ORIGINAL: Piles

I've yet to have my life consumed by The Wire as I have had with The Sopranos, so I'm still convinced that the latter is better.

How much of The Wire have you seen?

A season and a bit. Don't get me wrong, it's amazing, but it hasn't hooked me to the degree that the Sopranos did, where I'd be watching three eps a day at a bare minimum.

Top 100 Moz Songs / Top 100 Films

(in reply to Dantes Inferno)
Post #: 121
RE: Dante's 15 favorite TV performances - 12/7/2010 2:20:10 PM   
Dantes Inferno

Don't worry, you'll get there.

President of The Wire fan club. PM me to join.

(in reply to Piles)
Post #: 122
RE: Dante's 15 favorite TV performances - 12/7/2010 2:59:56 PM   
Rinc

Good list Dantes.

I still need to watch The Corner.

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:
[ color=#F1F1F1 ]text[ /color ]

Post #: 123
RE: Dante's 15 favorite TV performances - 12/7/2010 3:15:25 PM   
Dantes Inferno

Yes, you do! It's amazing. I'd invite you over, but I don't think it would be convenient.

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 124
RE: Dante's 15 favorite TV performances - 12/7/2010 3:22:21 PM   
rawlinson

I was expecting it to be Gandolfini, but I had this thing in the back of my head saying you might go for Paulie instead. 

Post #: 125
RE: Dante's 15 favorite TV performances - 12/7/2010 3:42:09 PM   
matty_b

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dantes Inferno

Played by: Rainn Wilson
Appears in: The Office (2005-)

Throw a bit of fascism and geekery in the blender, and odds are high you'll end up with a meal bearing a strike resemblance to Dwight Schrute, the assistant regional manag-... excuse me, assistant to the regional manager of Dunder Mifflin, Inc., a paper sales company located in Scranton, Pennsylvania. Dwight lives on a beet farm (where he grew up), and is the top-ranking salesman in the company. Though he has German roots, he has an air about him that smells distinctively American. A firm believer in individualism, he is the kind of guy you'll meet at party that will claim that his success is his own accomplishment and that your failure is your own fault (he is also the kind of guy that'll claim his failure is your fault and that your success is his accomplishment).

There is nothing remotely realistic about Dwight Schrute. More than any character on The Office, he serves the comedic aspect of the show only. Yes, he is given both sympathetic and empathetic moments, but he is in essence a walking, talking joke jukebox. If he wasn't so damn funny, he would seem entirely out-of-place in... well, a lot of shows. Take, for instance, the episode where his co-worker Jim sends him faxes where he claims to be "future Dwight", who regularly gives him updates to warn him of certain threats. This kind of writing stands in stark contrast to the realistic presentation of the show, and look how fast that stops mattering when Dwight tackles Stanley because he thinks his coffee is poisoned, a moment made even funnier when Dwight sincerely tells Stanley, "You'll thank me later". Becaus he is too busy laughing, the viewer doesn't notice the logical cap: how can Stanley ever thank Dwight later when he isn't told why the hell he was just tackled?

Having not seen the original show, I cannot tell you how Rainn Wilson's take on the character compares to the original, but I can, however, tell you that it's excellent. As seen by, say, his turn in Six Feet Under, Wilson simply can't be normal on screen, no matter how hard he tries. Like Paul Giamatti, he is cursed with a look that gives him no chance whatsoever of passing as an every-man, but blessed with the fact that the constrictions of Hollywood means there's little competition in the kind of roles he was born to play. And Dwight Schrute is exactly the kind of role he was born to play. Why? Because Wilson truly manages to capture the essence of who Dwight is: a man who ranks personal success above anything else, thinks he is very succesful, but is deluded enough to not realize that, in the end, he is just a paper salesman that, time and time again, is fooled by a long line of hilarious pranks that have spawned an endless number of YouTube tribute videos.

Really glad you've included Wilson, as I've just started to watch The Office (US) and he is indeed excellent. I have just watched the episode where the fire alarm goes off and Dwight's appropriation of Billy Joel cracked me up no end.

"# Ryan started the fire! #"

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

Post #: 126
RE: Dante's 15 favorite TV performances - 12/7/2010 7:05:40 PM   
Dantes Inferno

quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson

I was expecting it to be Gandolfini

I read that as Gandalf and wondered what the hell had gone into you.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 127
RE: Dante's 15 favorite TV performances - 12/7/2010 7:15:21 PM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: matty_b

Really glad you've included Wilson, as I've just started to watch The Office (US) and he is indeed excellent. I have just watched the episode where the fire alarm goes off and Dwight's appropriation of Billy Joel cracked me up no end.

Another fire - possibly the funniest moment of The Office bar none (2min50sec)

http://www.noob.us/humor/the-office-fire-drill/comment-page-1/

Don't click Matty, I think it's about S4.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 128
RE: Dante's 15 favorite TV performances - 12/7/2010 7:22:43 PM   
paul_ie86

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: matty_b

Another fire - possibly the funniest moment of The Office bar none (2min50sec)

http://www.noob.us/humor/the-office-fire-drill/comment-page-1/

Don't click Matty, I think it's about S4.

True day

My Group Project's facebook page. Please like

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 129
RE: Dante's 15 favorite TV performances - 13/7/2010 5:07:56 PM   
matty_b

Quick OT question then - for those who have watched The Office (US) right until the current series, when does it start to go downhill? Without being spoilery, I've heard quite a few people say that the quality of the first three seasons doesn't last? Is season four worth bothering with?

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to paul_ie86)
Post #: 130
RE: Dante's 15 favorite TV performances - 13/7/2010 5:15:02 PM   
Dantes Inferno

The first three seasons are indeed the best. The fourth season is good, sometimes great, sometimes not so much (it's a bit uneven). Season 5 and onwards I didn't really like it at all, with S6 being very abysmal, IMO.

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 131
RE: Dante's 15 favorite TV performances - 13/7/2010 9:05:40 PM   
matthewforan

Really enjoyed the list mate but no West Wing? There are some truly outstanding performances.

"The Irish have always been victims of negative stereotyping. I mean people think we're all drunks and brawlers. And sometimes that gets you so mad all you wanna do is get drunk and punch somebody"

Clear Eyes Full Hearts Can't Lose

Punchdrunk RIP

Post #: 132
RE: Dante's 15 favorite TV performances - 13/7/2010 10:38:03 PM   
Dantes Inferno

That might be, but I haven't seen it yet. I'll get there, though I'm currently watching Mad Men at the moment.

(in reply to matthewforan)
Post #: 133
RE: Dante's 15 favorite TV performances - 15/7/2010 12:47:51 PM   
ElephantBoy

That Fire episode of the Office is one of my all time favorites!  I'd pretty much agree on season four,althrough it did get better as it went along, and I do think it carried on going in a bold and different direction.  I would argue four is better than one, as while one was enjoyable, it was only six episodes and was very much before the series came into its own.  Two and Three are untouchable.   As a UK viewer I just hope the romours of its decline are not true.

Great, and varied list Dantes, I really enjoyed reading it, even if I do feel there were some soft choices in there

I think you defantly be adding a Mad Men character some where down the line!

Post #: 134
RE: Dante's 15 favorite TV performances - 24/12/2012 2:51:51 AM   
TimothyMathew76

Totally new here.

Very interesting list.

I only agree with #11 and #1.

The fact that Lucille Ball is not on this list is a bit of a crime, no?

"That old poop happens to be my husband" - KH

(in reply to matthewforan)
Post #: 135
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 3 4 [5]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Dante's 15 favorite TV performances Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 4 [5]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI