Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Dante's 15 favorite TV performances

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Dante's 15 favorite TV performances Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4] 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Dante's 15 favorite TV performances - 10/7/2010 9:57:51 PM   
paul_ie86

Danny Pudi from Community would also have been a better choice.

My Group Project's facebook page. Please like

(in reply to paul_ie86)
Post #: 91
RE: Dante's 15 favorite TV performances - 10/7/2010 10:22:47 PM   
ElephantBoy

Last weeks IT Crowd was worse than last night, which was an improvement, but not as good as the first one

(in reply to paul_ie86)
Post #: 92
RE: Dante's 15 favorite TV performances - 10/7/2010 11:51:02 PM   
Dantes Inferno

Played by: Rainn Wilson
Appears in: The Office (2005-)

Throw a bit of fascism and geekery in the blender, and odds are high you'll end up with a meal bearing a strike resemblance to Dwight Schrute, the assistant regional manag-... excuse me, assistant to the regional manager of Dunder Mifflin, Inc., a paper sales company located in Scranton, Pennsylvania. Dwight lives on a beet farm (where he grew up), and is the top-ranking salesman in the company. Though he has German roots, he has an air about him that smells distinctively American. A firm believer in individualism, he is the kind of guy you'll meet at party that will claim that his success is his own accomplishment and that your failure is your own fault (he is also the kind of guy that'll claim his failure is your fault and that your success is his accomplishment).

There is nothing remotely realistic about Dwight Schrute. More than any character on The Office, he serves the comedic aspect of the show only. Yes, he is given both sympathetic and empathetic moments, but he is in essence a walking, talking joke jukebox. If he wasn't so damn funny, he would seem entirely out-of-place in... well, a lot of shows. Take, for instance, the episode where his co-worker Jim sends him faxes where he claims to be "future Dwight", who regularly gives him updates to warn him of certain threats. This kind of writing stands in stark contrast to the realistic presentation of the show, and look how fast that stops mattering when Dwight tackles Stanley because he thinks his coffee is poisoned, a moment made even funnier when Dwight sincerely tells Stanley, "You'll thank me later". Becaus he is too busy laughing, the viewer doesn't notice the logical cap: how can Stanley ever thank Dwight later when he isn't told why the hell he was just tackled?

Having not seen the original show, I cannot tell you how Rainn Wilson's take on the character compares to the original, but I can, however, tell you that it's excellent. As seen by, say, his turn in Six Feet Under, Wilson simply can't be normal on screen, no matter how hard he tries. Like Paul Giamatti, he is cursed with a look that gives him no chance whatsoever of passing as an every-man, but blessed with the fact that the constrictions of Hollywood means there's little competition in the kind of roles he was born to play. And Dwight Schrute is exactly the kind of role he was born to play. Why? Because Wilson truly manages to capture the essence of who Dwight is: a man who ranks personal success above anything else, thinks he is very succesful, but is deluded enough to not realize that, in the end, he is just a paper salesman that, time and time again, is fooled by a long line of hilarious pranks that have spawned an endless number of YouTube tribute videos.

President of The Wire fan club. PM me to join.

(in reply to ElephantBoy)
Post #: 93
RE: Dante's 15 favorite TV performances - 11/7/2010 10:33:33 AM   
Dantes Inferno

Coming soon:
Dante's top 3 favorite TV performances!

(in reply to Dantes Inferno)
Post #: 94
RE: Dante's 15 favorite TV performances - 11/7/2010 11:07:11 AM   
elab49

Crook's original is different in general but there are some strong views shared between the two.

I loved watching Dwight squirm when Jim was merrily mixing and matching his favourite TV shows. It's a pity they stopped doing the most obvious pranks - the wrapped desk, the moved desk - the faxes and messages from the ether. Wilson was utterly convincing in believing the most absurd stuff. And when he tried to oust Michael, the shame!

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

Post #: 95
RE: Dante's 15 favorite TV performances - 11/7/2010 11:32:19 AM   
Dantes Inferno

So any guesses what the final choices will be?

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 96
RE: Dante's 15 favorite TV performances - 11/7/2010 11:53:36 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

Omar, McNulty and Stringer.

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

Post #: 97
RE: Dante's 15 favorite TV performances - 11/7/2010 12:20:36 PM   
TheManWithNoShame

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dantes Inferno

If it isn't the holy trinity of Elba, Williams and Royo then I must demand that your self-appointed presidency of the Wire fanclub come to an end.

sorry jbg :( i promise to stop being such a silly boy.

Post #: 98
RE: Dante's 15 favorite TV performances - 11/7/2010 12:27:58 PM   
elab49

I'm thinking the one performance per show rule has been forgotten somewhere along the way

Question is, will it be the same top performance from The Wire as the last list?

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

(in reply to TheManWithNoShame)
Post #: 99
RE: Dante's 15 favorite TV performances - 11/7/2010 12:49:49 PM   
Dantes Inferno

quote:

ORIGINAL: TheManWithNoShame

quote:

If it isn't the holy trinity of Elba, Williams and Royo then I must demand that your self-appointed presidency of the Wire fanclub come to an end.

Non-members can't decide, sorry.

Post #: 100
RE: Dante's 15 favorite TV performances - 11/7/2010 12:49:52 PM   
Dantes Inferno

quote:

I'm thinking the one performance per show rule has been forgotten somewhere along the way

quote:

Question is, will it be the same top performance from The Wire as the last list?

I have actually not done a performance list from The Wire, only character list.

< Message edited by Dantes Inferno -- 11/7/2010 12:50:08 PM >

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 101
RE: Dante's 15 favorite TV performances - 11/7/2010 1:23:18 PM   
elab49

My bad, I conflated the two.

quote:

Post #: 102
RE: Dante's 15 favorite TV performances - 11/7/2010 1:40:08 PM   
TheManWithNoShame

quote:

quote:

quote:

Fine, but you will have no say on how I run the Wu-Tang fanclub (Empire Killer Beez).

sorry jbg :( i promise to stop being such a silly boy.

Post #: 103
RE: Dante's 15 favorite TV performances - 11/7/2010 2:58:33 PM   
Dantes Inferno

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Fine, but you will have no say on how I run the Wu-Tang fanclub (Empire Killer Beez).

Post #: 104
RE: Dante's 15 favorite TV performances - 11/7/2010 8:35:51 PM   
Dantes Inferno

Played by: Michael K. Williams
Appears in: The Wire (2002-2008)

"Ey yo, Omar coming". Loved not only by every single one of the 364 fans of The Wire, but also Barack Obama himself ("He's not my favorite person, but he's a fascinating character", said the president), Omar Little was the only character on the show who was not constricted by any kind of institutional chains, and was, for the lack of a better phrase, truly free. A stick-up boy and true child of the streets, he was only beholden to his own moral code, which stated that he would only rob drug dealers and not a lay a finger on tax-payers. In addition, there was a minor detail that most viewers missed: Omar never cursed. Says Michael K. Williams, who played him: "I quickly decided that I didn't want to play this guy like an alpha male. I wanted to play him with sensitivity and integrity. He wouldn't scream or shout or get respect by intimidating people."

Michael K. Williams made Omar so fun to watch. Dressed in a western-style duster and armed with a sawed-off shotgun, Williams made his character into something else entirely. The standout scene came in the second season, when Omar testified against a murderer, and made no secret whatsoever of his nature. When asked of his occupation, he quickly and with no hesitation answered, "I robs [sic] drug dealers". Though the reply was humorous, it was not at all unexpected, as eccentricity was all part of Omar's nature. When robbing a shop owner fronting a narcotics storage, he actually bought and paid for a pack of cigarettes, and even insisted on getting his change back instead of getting the hell out of the place, which is what most people would have done. Of course, Omar was never "most people". He had a legend, and he loved it. He was also an open homosexual, something he could not have gotten away with if he was a regular gangster, but which was no problem considering his nature as a maverick. The writers never shunned away from this subject, nor did they shove it up the audience's face for effect.

Thanks to the strong performance of Williams, Omar came alive on screen like no other television character before him. When playing Omar, Williams walked a fine line between realism and showmanship, never letting one obstruct the other, and as a result, he managed to reap the admiration of the viewers without violating the show's primal insistence on keeping everything as realistic as possible. But he was not just a super-hero. He had a distinct arc throughout all five seasons that allowed Williams to play the entire register, including anger for the injustice acted upon him by the Barksdales, sadness because of the loss of a dear friend, and a strange sense of humor that his peers rarely exhibited. Wait, did I say "peers"? Omar had no peers. There was simply no one like him, nor has there ever been.

Post #: 105
RE: Dante's 15 favorite TV performances - 11/7/2010 8:47:05 PM   
elab49

You really can't argue with the choice. I might have been tempted to Royo as well, but no-one can argue with that brilliant and charismatic performance that dominated every scene the man was in.

I may argue the placing though. I await the top 2 with interest

quote:

Post #: 106
RE: Dante's 15 favorite TV performances - 11/7/2010 9:04:39 PM   
Rinc

Williams

I can't wait to see which two performances beat his!

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:
[ color=#F1F1F1 ]text[ /color ]

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 107
RE: Dante's 15 favorite TV performances - 11/7/2010 9:10:50 PM   
rawlinson

Shocked to see him so low.  I think one of the top two is obvious, I'm blanking on who the other one will be though.

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 108
RE: Dante's 15 favorite TV performances - 11/7/2010 9:29:28 PM   
Dantes Inferno

One of the two upcoming selections is pretty obvious, but the other one will be hard guessing.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

You really can't argue with the choice. I might have been tempted to Royo as well, but no-one can argue with that brilliant and charismatic performance that dominated every scene the man was in.

You and me both.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 109
RE: Dante's 15 favorite TV performances - 11/7/2010 10:51:37 PM   
Dantes Inferno

Played by: Khandi Alexander
Appears in: The Corner (2000)

Look at that picture. Does that woman look friendly? No. Is she friendly? Hell no. But is the actor playing her talented? Damn straight. Khandi Alexander, who pops up in TV shows every now and then (latest appearance: Tremé) turned out to be the perfect choice to play Fran Boyd, the real-life drug addict whose family inspired the book (deep breath) "The Corner: A Year in the Life of an Inner-City Neighborhood". To play the part, Alexander abolished her good looks, kept her natural ability to command any room she enters, and came out the other side carrying a performance of tremendous depth. Like in Tremé, her character is not a weak woman, but becomes one anyway because her surrounding circumstances are stronger than her will. In Tremé, those circumstances were a fatal hurricane, while in The Corner, they are a drug addiction which has not only destroyed her life, but her family's too.

The series itself were comprised of only six episodes, which makes it even more astonishing to witness how flawlessly and authentically Alexander portrayed the change in Fran. In the beginning of the show, she was a raging drug addict with a similarly addicted ex-husband, and a soon to be addicted son. She was not the best mother in the world, but she never gave up. Flashbacks revealed her to have been a seemingly normal middle-class wife, whose knack for partying made her an easy pray to the perils of cocaine. The last portion of the show saw her struggling with her trying to kick the habit, the outcome of which I will not reveal, except with the fact that this effort changed her even more, something Alexander brilliantly portrayed.

A good television actor must not only be true to his or hers character, but also to the style and format of the show itself, which Alexander was. The Corner was an ultra-realistic portrayal of drug addiction that I have yet to see paralleled. There was little gunplay or much of the action that you see in movies. Instead we had a simple format: a father, mother and a son, who had to make due without the rescue of some unrealistic and audience-insulting deus ex machina. There was no real arc, only real life, a trivial, boring and hopeless thing that we all are a part of, even if we're not really part of it together.

Post #: 110
RE: Dante's 15 favorite TV performances - 12/7/2010 1:12:35 AM   
ElephantBoy

The choice of Wilson as Dwight along with Dale Cooper are the only two we share so far.  I guess one of the appeals of the American version is how its an ensemble piece, where as the British one is more focused on the Brent character along with maybe Tim, Dawn and Gareth although they don't really get the same amont of air time. 

Anyway I think Wilson as Dwight is like the Kramer of the Office, but working on a slightly more odd ball level, he really is a firecracker, who represents many different aspects of the ego driven american male, but with a stranger outsider element taken to the extreme.  And like Scott compeared to Brent, Dwight compeared to Gareth does actually have enough of a human side to make you care sometimes.  Just watching the lyers peel off is quite scary.  One of my farvortie Dwight lines is "Michael is buying a house which he will still be paying for into his seventies, so in affect he is buying his coffin, and if I was buying my coffin, I would buy one with thicker walls so that I couldn't hear the other dead people"  That is so Dwight!

I've sort of said my piece on the Wire, but basically I'm yet to be convinced of its greatness, it really isn't the greatest show ever produced like many are neively claiming.  Anyway I have no problems with the performances, so yeah good choice.

Only one left to go, In that case I would like to see someone from Mad Men, 30 Rock, Seinfeld or Cheers up there.

< Message edited by ElephantBoy -- 12/7/2010 1:16:27 AM >

Post #: 111
RE: Dante's 15 favorite TV performances - 12/7/2010 1:14:42 AM   
rawlinson

I was thinking someone from The Corner might make this list, I just never expected to see them over Omar! Excellent choice though. 

Post #: 112
RE: Dante's 15 favorite TV performances - 12/7/2010 1:19:56 AM   
jamesbondguy

Chris Kamara for number 1, yes!

Just like Geoffrey Ingram.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 113
RE: Dante's 15 favorite TV performances - 12/7/2010 1:53:29 AM   
ElephantBoy

The Football pundict?

(in reply to jamesbondguy)
Post #: 114
RE: Dante's 15 favorite TV performances - 12/7/2010 1:55:56 AM   
jamesbondguy

Chris Kamara is more than a football pundit.

He is a way of life.

Just like Geoffrey Ingram.

Post #: 115
RE: Dante's 15 favorite TV performances - 12/7/2010 8:55:07 AM   
Dantes Inferno

Played by: James Gandolfini
Appears in: The Sopranos (1999-2007)

Why was The Sopranos so revered, really? Well, there are a lot of reasons, but the one I always find to be the one that explains it best without too many complications, is this one: after The Sopranos, television shows finally became better than movies. It's as simple as that. Now, what we saw in the show wasn't necessarily anything that movies hadn't showed before (there was a reason David Chase called Goodfellas his "Koran"), but there was a minor, yet extremely significant difference between the two mediums that meant that the show at it highest reached potential simply had to be better than any movie at its own highest reached potential: TV shows have always had far greater space to tell their stories. When comparing the opportunities of the two mediums, especially after HBO gave show creators free reign to portray anything they wanted, how can the best movie ever be better than the best TV show?

Of course, having a big rod doesn't make it guaranteed that'll you'll catch a fish. There are a lot of factors that need to be considered before creating a masterpiece, and a lot of people will have to have to give their best work. In The Sopranos, there were a lot of talented people involved, and few were as talented as James Gandolfini, who did the opposite of George Clooney, as he went from doing bit parts in movies to getting his own starring role in a TV show. Some years ago, that might have seemed like an absurd direction to take, but in retrospect, it is pretty clear he did the right thing. For can you honestly imagine the show without him? How good would it really have been if the rumors were true and Steven Van Zandt had accepted the alleged offer he got to play Tony Soprano?

To me, the standout moment that signaled why Gandolfini was the correct choice to play the part came very, very early, more specifically in the first episode: Tony is laying in bed. He is wearing his wife-beater. He is overweight, and not particularly handsome, at least not in the way teen magazines define "handsome". At this moment, he could be a lot of people, but a criminal is a very likely, and ultimately, a correct guess. While he is later revealed to be quite high-ranking in his organization's hierarchal system, he looks like could be an out-of-luck and recently released jailbird. Now imagine if someone more traditional-looking had been cast as Tony. How effective would that little moment be? Would you watch the show if Matthew McConaughey had been staring at us from his bed? Would it have been The Sopranos then?

Throughout the 80-something hours spent in the company of the show, Gandolfini was never anyone but Tony Soprano. He ran the marathon without a drop of sweat, and stayed the course without ever breaking character. Like Robert De Niro and the many roles he played, he was not afraid to show Tony's bad sides, and boy, were there many bad sides to Tony. Tony may have gotten the gig as New Jersey's mob boss because he was the smartest person in his crew, but considering the low intelligence of his underlings, that is not an accomplishment to be framed and hanged up on the wall. He was bigoted, racist, and wouldn't accept a valuable lesson if it was wrapped up in silk. He longed for the days of Gary Cooper ("the strong, silent type"), but complained more in his therapy sessions than a collective group of Microsoft customers. He was not sympathetic, but thanks to James Gandolfini, he was always very compelling to watch.

(in reply to jamesbondguy)
Post #: 116
RE: Dante's 15 favorite TV performances - 12/7/2010 11:08:58 AM   
FritzlFan

Great choice for number one, LAD.

< Message edited by FritzlFan -- 12/7/2010 11:42:27 AM >

quote:

ORIGINAL: Miles Messervy 007

Child labour is necessary in the short term

Post #: 117
RE: Dante's 15 favorite TV performances - 12/7/2010 11:19:46 AM   
elab49

Congrats on another finished list, Dantes

Alexander/Corner are a great choice. And I think Gandolfini was excellent in The Sopranos - it was the performances that kept me watching long after I felt much for the show.

quote:

(in reply to FritzlFan)
Post #: 118
RE: Dante's 15 favorite TV performances - 12/7/2010 12:12:44 PM   
Piles

Congratulations on finishing the list, misseur. Tony is indeed the greatest character of all time, and Gandolfini's performance as him is also the greatest performance of all time. And not just on TV. I've yet to have my life consumed by The Wire as I have had with The Sopranos, so I'm still convinced that the latter is better. Brilliant write-up, brilliant list, just Brilly Allen in general. Well done.

Top 100 Moz Songs / Top 100 Films

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 119
RE: Dante's 15 favorite TV performances - 12/7/2010 12:16:18 PM   
Dantes Inferno

quote:

ORIGINAL: Piles

I've yet to have my life consumed by The Wire as I have had with The Sopranos, so I'm still convinced that the latter is better.

How much of The Wire have you seen?

(in reply to Piles)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4] 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Dante's 15 favorite TV performances Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4] 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI