Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Dante's 15 favorite TV performances

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Dante's 15 favorite TV performances Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Dante's 15 favorite TV performances - 8/7/2010 5:42:24 PM   
Dantes Inferno

Played by: John C. McGinley
Appears in: Scrubs (2001-2010)

To this day, it still amazes me that John C. McGinley has not received a single Emmy nomination for playing Dr. Cox in Scrubs. He was, in many ways, the standout actor in a show filled with so many standout actors. Unlike the plethora of his peers, McGinley seemed to be having a blast playing Cox, and I can only imagine his glee whenever he would receive a new script, filled with angry rants about things he hated (Hugh Jackman), things he liked (I'll get back to you on that one), and everything in-between. Though his sarcastic persona and well above average medical skills made him an easy comparison to Dr. House, there was a significant difference in the fact that Cox was a much more comic persona that was often fuelled by McGinley's penchant for old school sense of humor.

Yes, there was always something old school about everything in Scrubs, really. The humor itself was a huge tip-off, not relying on the crude jokes of modern day comedies, but on slapstick and a little thing thing not seen at all lately, called creativity and imagination. But the show also had a heart as well, something Cox reflected whenever he would let his guard down and show that, hell, he was a good guy underneath it all. Possibly. At least he was not a Republican. That alone secures him a spot on this list.

President of The Wire fan club. PM me to join.

(in reply to Dantes Inferno)
Post #: 61
RE: Dante's 15 favorite TV performances - 9/7/2010 12:09:23 AM   
ElephantBoy

Oh come on your throwing some shit ones in our purpose now!  As much as I like him as an actor, Scrubs is one of the lamest shows currently on tv.  And his involvement in it, is just to prove that he is still down with the kids.  Friends is more funny than Scrubs, and that show just is not funny.

About House I never actually said he was playing an English man (although having not seen it I probably asumed he did), just that the show is playing up that steriotype, by nodding to their audence, because they know that everyone knows Hugh Lorrie is British.  Its not the same as pretending Naomi Watts is American.

Post #: 62
RE: Dante's 15 favorite TV performances - 9/7/2010 8:42:14 AM   
HughesRoss

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dantes Inferno

quote:

ORIGINAL: HughesRoss

Can I just add and you know I try never to swear in my posts, but those twats on FX have totally ruined the show for me. Having to wait nearly a year and a half for the new season to start (still waiting!), the shock climax that goes with this season has been totally ruined by the fact that because it was aired nearly a year ago in America, the Internet as been full of talk about the stunner, which of course reached my unexpected eyes..........the bastards

Ouch, that's a bitch. I had the ending of The Usual Suspects spoiled for me, so I can sympathize.

Dexter is indeed a great show, but there are some that are far greater.

Don't you dare mention The Wire again

One of the films that you do not want to be told the ending is the Usual Suspects. I did have Se7en spoilt for me. Going back years ago, my mate when to see Scream 2 and when I said was going tonight to watch it, he just said, " dont bother it was the xxxxxx" (if you have seen it you know who it was). I was left gobsmacked and I explained what happened to the Se7en ending and how it ruined the picture for me, when a girl working next to us said she had never seen that film but was desperate to. My mate who was on a roll by then said "Dont bother....." and told her what was in the box....

He killed two birds with one stone............the bastard

Our first ever HCF MOVIE AWARDS

http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/2012/01/horrorcultfilms-movie-awards-of-2011-all-the-winners-right-here-of-our-first-ever-hcf-awards/

Post #: 63
RE: Dante's 15 favorite TV performances - 9/7/2010 10:17:58 PM   
Dantes Inferno

Played by: Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje
Appears in: Oz (1997-2003)

The sole inclusion of a performance from Oz could easily have gone to a lot of people, including Lee Tergesen as alcoholic attorney turned accidental murderer Tobias Beecher, J.K. Simmons as Aryan Brotherhood leader Vernon Schillinger, Eamonn Walker as the Muslim leader Kareem Said, or Harold Perrineau, Jr. as the show's narrator, Augustus Hill. All of them will, however, have to make due with honorable mentions, because if there was one performance that was more memorable than all of the others, it was Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje as Simon Adebisi, the brutal inmate whose ruthlessness seemed to have no limits. He was dangerous, unpredictable, and not to be trifled with.

Serving life sentence without the possibility for parole for beheading an undercover cop with a machete, Adebisi was one of the few characters on the show who truly acted on his own. Many of his fellow inmates stuck close to their cultural peers, but Adebisi never did this unless it gained him, and even then, you couldn't really be sure he was your ally (if it hadn't been for his raging drug addiction, he would have truly been his own master, and the prison's most feared inmate). Like so many prisoners serving a life sentence, he had nothing to lose, and he truly showed it.

As played by Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje, the African-born Adebisi was not only different from his fellow black inmates (who all were born in America), but also from everyone else, period. Akinnuoye-Agbaje downplayed the seriousness that his acting peers stuck to, and gave his character a somewhat comic edge, as if Adebisi had not only accepted his fate, but was able to laugh back at it. For example, when he got in a conflict with Italian mafioso Peter Schibetta, he never revealed any hint that he felt threatened by the situation, but seemed like he looked forward to the inevitable showdown between the two of them, as if it was... a tango. After all, what other reaction should he have? Being Adebisi, he knew he would be the one leading the dance.

(in reply to HughesRoss)
Post #: 64
RE: Dante's 15 favorite TV performances - 9/7/2010 10:21:38 PM   
elab49

I honestly would have gone for either of your first 2 alternatives but it's still a brilliant choice.

Is there a correlation between how you'd order the shows to how you're ordering the performances?

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

Post #: 65
RE: Dante's 15 favorite TV performances - 10/7/2010 1:29:46 AM   
Dantes Inferno

Not consciously so, no. I looked through my favorite shows and found the performances I found were the best, and only then did I begin ranking. The second best performance from, say, #5 might be better than the best performance from, say, #8, but that didn't make #5 climb higher (I'm not literally talking about #5 and #8, by the way). Each position is ranked on the stand-out performance of its show alone.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 66
RE: Dante's 15 favorite TV performances - 10/7/2010 1:37:26 AM   
Pigeon Army

I was just looking through the thread, and -

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dantes Inferno

Played by: Alfonso Ribeiro
Appears in: The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air (1990-1996)

SON

The 'Get Carlton Banks a TV Spin-off' Association is one of my proudest achievements of my forum existence thus far.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rinc
She's supposed to be 13! I'd want her to be very attractive though

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat
quote:

ORIGINAL: Pigeon Army
Stop being mean to Deviation

No.

Post #: 67
RE: Dante's 15 favorite TV performances - 10/7/2010 1:48:37 AM   
paul_ie86

I think the "forum" in that sentence is redundant.

My Group Project's facebook page. Please like

(in reply to Pigeon Army)
Post #: 68
RE: Dante's 15 favorite TV performances - 10/7/2010 1:50:48 AM   
jamesbondguy

But it's done nothing.

Just like Geoffrey Ingram.

Post #: 69
RE: Dante's 15 favorite TV performances - 10/7/2010 9:28:13 AM   
Dantes Inferno

quote:

ORIGINAL: paul_ie86

I think the "forum" in that sentence is redundant.

Ouch.

(in reply to paul_ie86)
Post #: 70
RE: Dante's 15 favorite TV performances - 10/7/2010 10:05:37 AM   
elab49

Are there any performances you might have included from shows you might otherwise dislike?

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Post #: 71
RE: Dante's 15 favorite TV performances - 10/7/2010 11:03:49 AM   
Dantes Inferno

Now that's a tough question. I don't watch shows I dislike, so I wouldn't know.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 72
RE: Dante's 15 favorite TV performances - 10/7/2010 11:13:15 AM   
elab49

I have for 2 reasons - either recording it for someone else (hence my occasional appreciation of Robert Knepper in Prison Break) or if its kept me watching a new show way beyond the time I don't like the show itself - say someone like Neil Patrick Harris in How I Met Your Mother.

You'll have tried shows you ended up not liking?

quote:

Post #: 73
RE: Dante's 15 favorite TV performances - 10/7/2010 11:53:10 AM   
HughesRoss

Can I just say elab, that the only reason worth watching Prison Break was because of Robert Knerpper

http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/2012/01/horrorcultfilms-movie-awards-of-2011-all-the-winners-right-here-of-our-first-ever-hcf-awards/

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 74
RE: Dante's 15 favorite TV performances - 10/7/2010 12:33:55 PM   
Pigeon Army

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
if its kept me watching a new show way beyond the time I don't like the show itself - say someone like Neil Patrick Harris in How I Met Your Mother.

You are a terrible person.

Also, Paul, Jayb - shut up.

quote:

quote:

quote:

No.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 75
RE: Dante's 15 favorite TV performances - 10/7/2010 12:42:47 PM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: HughesRoss

Can I just say elab, that the only reason worth watching Prison Break was because of Robert Knerpper

Indeed. My mum adored it though and as they don't have Sky, I'd to record it for her so I'd to sit through it all!

quote:

(in reply to HughesRoss)
Post #: 76
RE: Dante's 15 favorite TV performances - 10/7/2010 12:52:03 PM   
HughesRoss

I feel sorry for you, because the 4th season was totally dire, with and idiotic ending!

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 77
RE: Dante's 15 favorite TV performances - 10/7/2010 12:53:37 PM   
elab49

I felt sorry for me too

It'd have been better if she didn't insist on the ads being cut out!

quote:

(in reply to HughesRoss)
Post #: 78
RE: Dante's 15 favorite TV performances - 10/7/2010 12:55:06 PM   
HughesRoss

.......I have a mental image of you now getting mightly pissed off every time an Ad break was due.....

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 79
RE: Dante's 15 favorite TV performances - 10/7/2010 1:01:02 PM   
elab49

If it wasn't for them I wouldn't even have needed to be in the room when the silly thing was on.

quote:

(in reply to HughesRoss)
Post #: 80
RE: Dante's 15 favorite TV performances - 10/7/2010 1:44:33 PM   
Piles

quote:

quote:

if its kept me watching a new show way beyond the time I don't like the show itself - say someone like Neil Patrick Harris in How I Met Your Mother.

To be fair, the rest of the show is really quite average.

Top 100 Moz Songs / Top 100 Films

Post #: 81
RE: Dante's 15 favorite TV performances - 10/7/2010 2:17:49 PM   
paul_ie86

He's fairly average in it too. That's just on the evidence is of a season and a half though.

(in reply to Piles)
Post #: 82
RE: Dante's 15 favorite TV performances - 10/7/2010 2:18:52 PM   
Pigeon Army

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Piles

quote:

quote:

To be fair, the rest of the show is really quite average.

You are lame.

quote:

He's fairly average in it too. That's just on the evidence is of a season and a half though.

And so are you.

quote:

quote:

quote:

No.

(in reply to Piles)
Post #: 83
RE: Dante's 15 favorite TV performances - 10/7/2010 4:32:08 PM   
Dantes Inferno

Played by: Jim Parsons
Appears in: The Big Bang Theory (2007-)

We've had The Alan Parsons Project (which I've never actually heard), and now we've got the Jim Parsons Project, better known as The Big Bang Theory, a show that not only follows the visual medium's unwritten norm that all geeks must either be sympathetic or funny (or both), but also writes its own: that its possible that the presentation of nerds may be empathetic. Whoever writes the show seem to understand smart people (or at least smart people on television), which means that we don't get a series of episodes where the writers fumble in the dark as they try to comprehend people more intelligent than themselves (have you ever considered the fact that most people on television is stupid because its writers are stupid?). However, good as the writing is, the true credit to the show's success lies in the star-making performance of Jim Parsons.

Young Jim plays Sheldon Cooper, a theoretical physicist who is "one lab accident away from being a comic book villain". He is brilliant and unusually intelligent, but lacks any sense of irony and tact, and struggles as much with social conventions as the audience does with his bewildering way of speaking ("I'm polymerized tree sap and you're an inorganic adhesive, so whatever verbal projectile you launch in my direction is reflected off of me, returns to its original trajectory and adheres to you"). I don't find humor in things I don't understand, but with Sheldon, the less I get, the more I laugh. As good as his quotes are, though, they would be nothing without Parsons idiosyncratic (yes, there is that word again, PA) performance. Awfully skinny and almost robotic in his way of walking, Parsons makes Sheldon come alive to the screen as one of the funniest characters ever seen in a sitcom.

Post #: 84
RE: Dante's 15 favorite TV performances - 10/7/2010 7:22:06 PM   
paul_ie86

I don't like The Big Bang Theory, and that character is on the reasons why. The I.T. Crowd's Moss is a better example of that type of character, and Richard Adoyade puts in a better performance too.

< Message edited by paul_ie86 -- 10/7/2010 7:24:49 PM >

Post #: 85
RE: Dante's 15 favorite TV performances - 10/7/2010 9:02:22 PM   
ElephantBoy

On the subject of good performances in bad TV shows, I can't really think of any off the top of my head, maybe Rachal Griffins in Son's and Daughters?

The reality is that i find it easier to see a good performances in a bad film, maybe just because I watch more films, and also maybe the acting is that bit more important to a TV show, where as there is so many more elements to films.  Maybe i just haven't seen enough bad tv shows

The Big Bang Thory doesn't really seem like it will be my kind of thing, although having never sat down to watch an episode I won't pass judgement, only to say I doubt its esstional viewing like the Office or 30 Rock.

Hope to see some of the big hitters coming up.

(in reply to paul_ie86)
Post #: 86
RE: Dante's 15 favorite TV performances - 10/7/2010 9:23:36 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

I don't like The Big Bang Theory, and that character is on the reasons why. The I.T. Crowd's Moss is a better example of that type of character, and Richard Adoyade puts in a better performance too.

Not on the evidence of the current series though.

(in reply to paul_ie86)
Post #: 87
RE: Dante's 15 favorite TV performances - 10/7/2010 9:30:55 PM   
paul_ie86

quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson

quote:

Not on the evidence of the current series though.

He was great in the second episode though.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 88
RE: Dante's 15 favorite TV performances - 10/7/2010 9:37:22 PM   
rawlinson

Yeah, to be fair he was, I thought changing the character (terrified of women usually, able to have casual sex with supermodel looking women now) just to set up a film parody that's a decade out of date was incredibly pointless though. And last night's episode was abysmal. He was reduced to eating popcorn and doing a serious face. 

(in reply to paul_ie86)
Post #: 89
RE: Dante's 15 favorite TV performances - 10/7/2010 9:42:07 PM   
paul_ie86

Yeah, last nights episode was pretty dire alright. The religion's (not a cult) video that Roy did was great though. As was the final line.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Dante's 15 favorite TV performances Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI