Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Dante's 15 favorite TV performances

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Dante's 15 favorite TV performances Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Dante's 15 favorite TV performances - 2/7/2010 1:45:37 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

Never seen any of Fresh Prince or Arrested Development

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to Dantes Inferno)
Post #: 31
RE: Dante's 15 favorite TV performances - 2/7/2010 3:31:53 PM   
Dantes Inferno

Haven't I urged you to check out the latter for a long time?

Played by: Linda Cardellini
Appears in: Freaks and Geeks (1999-2000)

Come to think of, it's no wonder high school is so widely portrayed in movies and, especially, television. I mean, what creative person would balk at the chance to do an ensemble piece about an environment we are all too familiar with? High school is a place of many emotions, and for all the books and research that has been done with it, it is also still a place that rooted in a firmly hierarchical system where status is not measured by talent or intelligence, but good looks. Since television is a medium fueled by cash and not creativity (pre-HBO, anyway), shows about high schools have largely mirrored what most people apparently want to see: good-looking people. How ironic; even when you grow up, you can't catch a break if you're not blessed with a pretty face.

Luckily, there were two men, Paul Feig and Judd Apatow, who knew that there were people out there who had better things to do than care about the luxury problems of wealthy/pretty people, and thus created Freaks and Geeks, a superb show about a group of misfits who lived by the fringes of high school's inner circle. Unfortunately, the show didn't last longer than a single season. Actually, its first season wasn't even finished, as the show was canceled after only 12 of 18 episodes had aired (the final episodes were finally shown a long while later because of demands on the internet). Funny, everything they said about money ruining the world was true.

Now, let's focus on the show itself instead. Its main character was Lindsay Weir, an intelligent "mathlete" who found temptation in the "live life while you're young" philosophy of her school's slackers, and ultimately abandoned her normal friends for thse so-called "freaks". As Lindsay, Linda Cardellini gave a performance that not only convinced us she really was a high schooler (she was 25 when filming), but also impressed us in the way she managed to find true depth in the role. Trying to fit into high school with badly dealt cards may be hard, but it's even harder when you're not sure what cards you're dealt. Lindsay was often torn about her identity, even returning to her "good ways" in one episode. Cardellini beautifully captured her character's inner struggle with ease, often portraying it without the need of words.

In many ways, Lindsay was like the show she lead. Brilliant, worth getting to know, but still an outcast because she wouldn't play by the hierarchical rules of her environment. Just as the show got a small, but dedicated cult audience, Lindsay were given a small, but trusting group of friends. Just as the show had substance but no popularity, Lindsay had intelligence but no status. It might not be fair, but at least it makes for good television. Canceled television it might be, but does it really matter? High school ends too, but we still have our memories of it, and while Freaks and Geeks might not air anymore, it is still possible to watch it. As you should.

President of The Wire fan club. PM me to join.

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 32
RE: Dante's 15 favorite TV performances - 2/7/2010 4:18:43 PM   
elab49

Damn - I thought'd be golf.

Another interesting choice. I thought she played Velma very well as well.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

Post #: 33
RE: Dante's 15 favorite TV performances - 2/7/2010 8:20:25 PM   
ElephantBoy

This is one I've never seen, although if that idoit JA is involved I'm totally convinced about watching.  Mind you your review was very good, and has made me want to check it out.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 34
RE: Dante's 15 favorite TV performances - 2/7/2010 8:45:07 PM   
Dantes Inferno

Freaks and Geeks is very different to the likes of The 40-Year Old Virgin and Superbad. It's a great show, and worth checking out.

(in reply to ElephantBoy)
Post #: 35
RE: Dante's 15 favorite TV performances - 2/7/2010 11:33:58 PM   
swordsandsandals

I love Tobias, he is endlessly quotable. I think, however, I may just prefer Gob.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rawlinson

Swords is right about everything.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hood_Man

Swords smells like bum.

Post #: 36
RE: Dante's 15 favorite TV performances - 3/7/2010 4:53:13 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dantes Inferno

Haven't I urged you to check out the latter for a long time?

I will do one day.

Not seen Freaks and Geeks either!

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

Post #: 37
RE: Dante's 15 favorite TV performances - 4/7/2010 8:40:05 PM   
Dantes Inferno

It seems that the hope of me of besting rawlinson in the fastest updater league has been scuppered by HughesRoss besting me, so an update is due. It's an oldie, but a goodie.

Played by: Frances Conroy
Appears in: Six Feet Under (2001-2005)

With my perfectly toned body and abnormally large muscles, I am probably not the guy'd you think would be able to make a stand for the continued mistreatment of women in entertainment. And yet I understand completely when countless female actresses point out how hard it is for them to good roles, something which only grows harder throughout the years (no jokes, you misogynists). Luckily, once in a while, a gal will catch a break and land the role of a lifetime, which is exactly what Frances Conroy did when she was given the chance to play Ruth Fisher, the matriarch of the Fisher family in the HBO series Six Feet Under.

Conroy was not just a woman getting a good role, but an elderly woman getting a good role, which is even more astonishing. The writers didn't shortchange her either, and she was given plenty of great scenes and terrific arcs throughout the years. Conroy was more than up to the task, and played Ruth as earnest as she could, never asking for easy audience sympathy or assurance that indeed, an "old woman" could be worth dedicating some hours to. Ruth was depicted as a fully fledged character, and was shown to have the same problems that her younger family members went through. Though I don't think the show's creator, Alan Ball, had the ability to carry out his themes and ideas for the show's five full seasons, he knew how to pick great actors who'd sustain audience interest in any amount of time. And before you say choosing Conroy for this list was a political choice, I will assure you I think she was the best actor in the show, which really is saying a lot.

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 38
RE: Dante's 15 favorite TV performances - 4/7/2010 8:49:02 PM   
HughesRoss

quote:

It seems that the hope of me of besting rawlinson in the fastest updater league has been scuppered by HughesRoss besting me, so an update is due. It's an oldie, but a goodie.

But you spend more time and care doing your reviews

Our first ever HCF MOVIE AWARDS

http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/2012/01/horrorcultfilms-movie-awards-of-2011-all-the-winners-right-here-of-our-first-ever-hcf-awards/

Post #: 39
RE: Dante's 15 favorite TV performances - 4/7/2010 8:51:41 PM   
elab49

I'm not a major fan of Six Feet Under but I do applaud your choice of performance. She really was quite wonderful.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

(in reply to HughesRoss)
Post #: 40
RE: Dante's 15 favorite TV performances - 4/7/2010 9:44:54 PM   
Dantes Inferno

How much do you like it, precisely? I think it's pretty good, and I applaud its instistance on not doing mysteries, crimes or other typical arcs, but I don't always feel there's enough to sustain to a truly great television show. Then again, it's very far from bad.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 41
RE: Dante's 15 favorite TV performances - 4/7/2010 9:45:31 PM   
Dantes Inferno

quote:

ORIGINAL: HughesRoss

quote:

But you spend more time and care doing your reviews

Yeah, I wish. They're banged out pretty fast, actually.

< Message edited by Dantes Inferno -- 4/7/2010 10:20:58 PM >

(in reply to HughesRoss)
Post #: 42
RE: Dante's 15 favorite TV performances - 4/7/2010 9:50:49 PM   
elab49

I wasn't a big fan but I did admire it. It just didn't engage me enough to become a favourite - didn't quite cross that line. I thought bits were well done and they were, as you say, fortunate in getting some really good performances. There were even bits I thought were absolutely brilliant - my favourite is the Rapture opener

< Message edited by elab49 -- 4/7/2010 9:51:55 PM >

quote:

Post #: 43
RE: Dante's 15 favorite TV performances - 5/7/2010 9:32:04 PM   
kingalan

quote:

Played by: Frances Conroy
Appears in: Six Feet Under (2001-2005)

With my perfectly toned body and abnormally large muscles, I am probably not the guy'd you think would be able to make a stand for the continued mistreatment of women in entertainment. And yet I understand completely when countless female actresses point out how hard it is for them to good roles, something which only grows harder throughout the years (no jokes, you misogynists). Luckily, once in a while, a gal will catch a break and land the role of a lifetime, which is exactly what Frances Conroy did when she was given the chance to play Ruth Fisher, the matriarch of the Fisher family in the HBO series Six Feet Under.

Conroy was not just a woman getting a good role, but an elderly woman getting a good role, which is even more astonishing. The writers didn't shortchange her either, and she was given plenty of great scenes and terrific arcs throughout the years. Conroy was more than up to the task, and played Ruth as earnest as she could, never asking for easy audience sympathy or assurance that indeed, an "old woman" could be worth dedicating some hours to. Ruth was depicted as a fully fledged character, and was shown to have the same problems that her younger family members went through. Though I don't think the show's creator, Alan Ball, had the ability to carry out his themes and ideas for the show's five full seasons, he knew how to pick great actors who'd sustain audience interest in any amount of time. And before you say choosing Conroy for this list was a political choice, I will assure you I think she was the best actor in the show, which really is saying a lot.

Good choice. One of my favourite shows of all time and certianly an amazing performance from Conroy. So many stand out moments, but the scene in the pilot where she breaks down as she throws soil into Nathaniel Snr's grave is an astonishing piece of acting.

Post #: 44
RE: Dante's 15 favorite TV performances - 6/7/2010 11:00:56 PM   
Dantes Inferno

Played by: Hugh Laurie
Appears in: House M.D. (2004-)

I remember the first time I saw House M.D.. It was the episode "Sports Medicine" from season 1. I had no idea what I was about to watch. It opened with a short vignette of a baseball pitcher collapsing on the playing field. Then we cut to a hospital, where a group of doctors were supposed to diagnose and cure him. So far, so standard hospital drama. But then came the scene where one of the doctors, Gregory House, diagnosed a large number of clinic patients in a record-breaking short amount of time, with a plethora of sarcastic remarks to boot. I knew then that what I was watching was something special. The way Hugh Laurie played the character was not like much I had seen on television before, certainly not in the pre-Sopranos era. He never asked for the audience's sympathy, and didn't wink at the camera. He was bad to the bone.

I tuned in to watch the show week after week to watch as the very intelligent House juggled his otherworldly medical skills with his disability to be nice for for more than half a second. He was the worst kind of employee a boss could ask for: one that was too brilliant to fire, even though firing him would be exactly what you'd do if he wasn't so brilliant. If anything, he is a reminder that the kind of characters we are fascinated by in entertainment are often not the ones we want to be associated with in real-life. Watching House is like watching a lion in a cage - it's dangerous, but it's safe. We wouldn't want to be inside the cage with the lion.

The only other work I had seen by Laurie before the show was his guest appearance on Friends, where he berated Jennifer Aniston on an air plane. No doubt his portrayal of House will go down in history as one of TV's finest. Unfortunately, he show itself eventually went down into the drain. The writers never strayed far from the "solving a complex case per episode" formula, and didn't bother to dig for some depth in the characters. When they eventually did, it turned out it wasn't interesting enough for anyone to care. House eventually became a boring character, never changing, and still more interesting than his colleagues, which meant him sharing the limelight was pointless. And yet, throughout the show, Laurie kept up his excellence, refusing to play nice. Movie and cinema history is filled to the brim with charming bad guys, but at no time has there been anyone like House.

(in reply to kingalan)
Post #: 45
RE: Dante's 15 favorite TV performances - 6/7/2010 11:05:09 PM   
elab49

Good performance, run of the mill show (which makes it stand out even more).

quote:

Post #: 46
RE: Dante's 15 favorite TV performances - 6/7/2010 11:10:09 PM   
Dantes Inferno

Do you have the same reaction as me to the show, or did you find it to be run-of-the-mill from the get-go?

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 47
RE: Dante's 15 favorite TV performances - 6/7/2010 11:20:21 PM   
elab49

I think I was about 3 epis in when I realised the only watchable part was House in the hated clinic being rude and blunt to all and sundry (the bit that so captured you). The rest was distinctly 'meh', for me, already into formula by then and it never stepped out of it. I was bored by the end of the first season and only watched sporadically in the second. I understand it got more soapy and nicked ideas off The Apprentice after that, which didn't really entice me back I'm afraid.

quote:

Post #: 48
RE: Dante's 15 favorite TV performances - 6/7/2010 11:23:26 PM   
Dantes Inferno

I totally see that. I think it's watchable (at best), but there needs to be bigger breaks than a week between each episode. It's a show with good quotes but few good scenes and no good arcs.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 49
RE: Dante's 15 favorite TV performances - 6/7/2010 11:25:22 PM   
elab49

Have you seen Laurie from his Bit of Fry and Laurie days or as Jeeves? If so, you might get the shock of that performance to many over here (although if they'd watched Spooks they'd have seen his dry run for it - an MI6 officer even ruder than House!).

quote:

Post #: 50
RE: Dante's 15 favorite TV performances - 6/7/2010 11:26:34 PM   
Dantes Inferno

No. I know he's been in a lot, but I haven't seen any of it.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 51
RE: Dante's 15 favorite TV performances - 6/7/2010 11:30:25 PM   
elab49

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwxqgQEYeFc

A quick look

quote:

Post #: 52
RE: Dante's 15 favorite TV performances - 7/7/2010 4:08:15 PM   
Dantes Inferno

Played by: Michael C. Hall
Appears in: Dexter (2006-)

There's a scene in the first season of Six Feet Under where Michael C. Hall, playing buttoned-down homosexual David Fisher, let go off his quiet exterior and showcased some remarkable skills as a verbal abuser, as he threatened and almost beat up a representative of a large funeral company who was trying to push David's company out of business. The scene was sort of a climax in the episode, as David had spent most of the season acting less as a tough guy and more like a person whose sexual preferences made him carefully walk through society as if every floor was squeaky and a potential wake-up call for anyone who had not yet realized who he was. Having seen Dexter before Six Feet Under made me realize how this was the perfect audition for Hall for the former show.

In Dexter, Hall plays Dexter Morgan, a blood spatter analyst working for the Miami PD, who moonlights as a serial killer. Though he exclusively only murders other criminals due to a moral code imposed by his foster father, Dexter is not a murderer by choice. He cannot not kill, and therefore has to make due for as long as possible without being outed. He spends a significant amount of time trying to be as normal as possible, which means that he has to fake just about every human emotion imaginable. Even though he has no qualms or difficulties about ending a man's (or the occasional woman's) life, he is up to a challenge when trying to understand how other humans think and feel. Funerals and birthdays, for example, feel unnatural to him, and he struggles to get through them.

Hall is a revelation as Dexter. Though Dexter's friends and associates are oblivious to his true nature, we as an audience who are privy to his secrets can clearly tell that he struggles with being a regular guy. Hall drops just enough physical hints of his discomfort with the normal world to let us not only know, but also see how hard it is for him to anything but a murderer. He plays him without the usual "serial killer tricks", and yet always has that psychopathic look ready when the time is right. In addition, he finds a sense of humor in Dexter similarly to the one I thought Guy Pearce handled so well in Memento. Like Pearce, Hall plays his character as one who wishes he didn't have his condition, but realizes he can't do anything about it, and therefore tries to make the best of it. He has accepted who he is, and doesn't bother to try to do anything about it. If that isn't a possible moral message of the show, then I don't know what is.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 53
RE: Dante's 15 favorite TV performances - 7/7/2010 5:58:25 PM   
elab49

quote:

David had spent most of the season acting less as a tough guy and more like a person whose sexual preferences made him carefully walk through society as if every floor was squeaky

What a fantastic description - although the time spent on Six Feet Under kind of hints at a difficulty in choosing a single performance from the show - fortunate that you had this wonderful performance as a get-out clause for that. Even when the show goes slightly off the boil, Hall is never less than brilliant - from the moment he hit that tone of sly humour bang on in the first epi (when he gets to break and enter when normal cops don't), he never looked back. It's just a pity

SPOILERS FOR DEXTER

he doesn't have the likes of Doakes to play off anymore.

quote:

Post #: 54
RE: Dante's 15 favorite TV performances - 7/7/2010 7:28:07 PM   
Dantes Inferno

That last note is interesting. Never thought about that. Even so, Hall plays a character who spends a significant inside his own head, so he doesn't really need other actors as much as others do.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

quote:

David had spent most of the season acting less as a tough guy and more like a person whose sexual preferences made him carefully walk through society as if every floor was squeaky

What a fantastic description

Thank you.

quote:

although the time spent on Six Feet Under kind of hints at a difficulty in choosing a single performance from the show - fortunate that you had this wonderful performance as a get-out clause for that.

Am I really that see-through? Choosing one performance from Six Feet Under was indeed difficult as hell, but there's another show which was even tougher, and yes, you have seen it.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 55
RE: Dante's 15 favorite TV performances - 7/7/2010 8:45:37 PM   
Dantes Inferno

Played by: Kyle Maclachlan
Appears in: Twin Peaks (1990-1991)

Though I have always been fascinated both in entertainment and in real life by unsympathetic or flawed characters such as Travis Bickle, Malcolm X, Che Guevara, and some yet to appear in this list, I don't resent heroes. Which brings me to Dale Cooper, the protagonist in the short-lived cult hit Twin Peaks. As played by Kyle Maclachlan, he was the antithesis of so many law enforcers in entertainment (both before and after him). A genuine nice guy, he'd give you a thumbs up if he liked you, which is the kind of gesture no one genuinely makes in TV anymore (or in real life, for that matter), and he'd always have a smile ready for you if you needed it. He also drink a shit load of coffee (people say it's odd we never see Jack Bauer take a piss - those people have clearly never seen Twin Peaks).

But it was more than just his persona that was different. He relied not on logic, but on Tibetan methods and dreams to solve his cases. Though I usually prefer police work in entertainment to be portrayed as realistically as possible, I have to admit it's easy to ignore that when I get to see scenes like the one where Cooper used rock throwing to explore a clue (I guess an absence of realism is not a negative if its replacement spells its name "originality"). Considering the decades of portrayals of interrogations, knocked down doors and finger print analysis that has plagued police shows, it's no wonder if would take someone like David Lynch to inject some healthy dose of freshness into their blood.

Maclachlan had none of the machismo that had been so characteristic of the heroes in the decade before him. He looked as though he would break if you gave him a push, and yet he never gave any other impression other than the one that clearly showed that his character was up to the task. He was never annoying, and I have to admit that when I watched the show, I was jealous of how some people just know how to embrace life. Of course, as played by Maclachlan, Cooper didn't so much embrace life as give it a grand ol' hug and a few pats on the back whilst saying, "There, there, it's going to be alright. Don't you worry 'bout a thing".

Post #: 56
RE: Dante's 15 favorite TV performances - 7/7/2010 11:38:26 PM   
ElephantBoy

I think Cooper might actually have been number one or certainly up there on my list.  I think part of that quailty you speak is an example of Lynch creating his own world, while not being realstic it is like none other, but still draws from every day aspect.  Dale Cooper is a career defineing role for Maclachlan, he is the perfect dry and charming foil for the strange and disturbed world of Twin Peaks.  While you on Twin Peaks, as I know this will be your only stop here, another one of my favorite character's is Sheiryn Fenn's Audery, the dymanic with Cooper is deeply fasciting, and Audery is one of the best teenage characters ever.

Am in total agreement about Frances Conroy as Ruth Fisher, in my view Six Feet Under is one of the great cult shows ever, and Ruth one of many great characters, althrough I do think its a toss up between her and Brandon for best character and best performance.  I do think Rachel Griffin is awesome in that role and in its own way its just as intresting as Ruth.

While its nice to see Hall up there as Dexter, I might have gone with one of the females, the support players in a funny sort of way make that show.  Thing is Dexter gives Hall the chance to let loose, and have that big Joker style moment, but its the people around him that provide the more subtle human moments that make the whole thing tick.

While I've never sat down to watch an episode of House, I have to say I depise the idea of it, as it seems to go for one of the worse clitches of American TV and Film, the cranky Englishman rubbing the norman people up the wrong way.  From what I've seen Larrie just phones the performance in, yes he does deadpan, but theres nothing new there.  Bill Murry would be a much more suitable choice.

Anyway coming up I hope to see the likes of The X-Files, American Office, 30 Rock and Fawtly Towers make an appearence, but hey thats just me.  Keep up the good work!

Post #: 57
RE: Dante's 15 favorite TV performances - 8/7/2010 9:44:00 AM   
Dantes Inferno

Nuh uh, I'm not going to reveal further positions.

quote:

ORIGINAL: ElephantBoy

I think Cooper might actually have been number one or certainly up there on my list.  I think part of that quailty you speak is an example of Lynch creating his own world, while not being realstic it is like none other, but still draws from every day aspect.  Dale Cooper is a career defineing role for Maclachlan, he is the perfect dry and charming foil for the strange and disturbed world of Twin Peaks.  While you on Twin Peaks, as I know this will be your only stop here, another one of my favorite character's is Sheiryn Fenn's Audery, the dymanic with Cooper is deeply fasciting, and Audery is one of the best teenage characters ever.

Audrey is indeed a great character, and as played by Sherilyn Feen, she is also a very sexy one.

quote:

Am in total agreement about Frances Conroy as Ruth Fisher, in my view Six Feet Under is one of the great cult shows ever, and Ruth one of many great characters, althrough I do think its a toss up between her and Brandon for best character and best performance.  I do think Rachel Griffin is awesome in that role and in its own way its just as intresting as Ruth.

I assume you mean Brenda? As previously said, the show is chock full of great performances, so choosing one wasn't easy.

quote:

While I've never sat down to watch an episode of House, I have to say I depise the idea of it, as it seems to go for one of the worse clitches of American TV and Film, the cranky Englishman rubbing the norman people up the wrong way.  From what I've seen Larrie just phones the performance in, yes he does deadpan, but theres nothing new there.  Bill Murry would be a much more suitable choice.

Couldn't disagree more. First of all, he's playing an American, and he does anything but phone it in. Bill Murray would be too nice.

(in reply to ElephantBoy)
Post #: 58
RE: Dante's 15 favorite TV performances - 8/7/2010 9:54:15 AM   
HughesRoss

quote:

Played by: Michael C. Hall
Appears in: Dexter (2006-)

There's a scene in the first season of Six Feet Under where Michael C. Hall, playing buttoned-down homosexual David Fisher, let go off his quiet exterior and showcased some remarkable skills as a verbal abuser, as he threatened and almost beat up a representative of a large funeral company who was trying to push David's company out of business. The scene was sort of a climax in the episode, as David had spent most of the season acting less as a tough guy and more like a person whose sexual preferences made him carefully walk through society as if every floor was squeaky and a potential wake-up call for anyone who had not yet realized who he was. Having seen Dexter before Six Feet Under made me realize how this was the perfect audition for Hall for the former show.

In Dexter, Hall plays Dexter Morgan, a blood spatter analyst working for the Miami PD, who moonlights as a serial killer. Though he exclusively only murders other criminals due to a moral code imposed by his foster father, Dexter is not a murderer by choice. He cannot not kill, and therefore has to make due for as long as possible without being outed. He spends a significant amount of time trying to be as normal as possible, which means that he has to fake just about every human emotion imaginable. Even though he has no qualms or difficulties about ending a man's (or the occasional woman's) life, he is up to a challenge when trying to understand how other humans think and feel. Funerals and birthdays, for example, feel unnatural to him, and he struggles to get through them.

Hall is a revelation as Dexter. Though Dexter's friends and associates are oblivious to his true nature, we as an audience who are privy to his secrets can clearly tell that he struggles with being a regular guy. Hall drops just enough physical hints of his discomfort with the normal world to let us not only know, but also see how hard it is for him to anything but a murderer. He plays him without the usual "serial killer tricks", and yet always has that psychopathic look ready when the time is right. In addition, he finds a sense of humor in Dexter similarly to the one I thought Guy Pearce handled so well in Memento. Like Pearce, Hall plays his character as one who wishes he didn't have his condition, but realizes he can't do anything about it, and therefore tries to make the best of it. He has accepted who he is, and doesn't bother to try to do anything about it. If that isn't a possible moral message of the show, then I don't know what is.

Fantastic mate! Great writing!

I totally adore Dexter, my favourite show on the box, and I agree with your descriptiion that Dexter seems just a normal bloke,but when the urge comes all over him, its in the eyes, and you realise that this is one guy you really do not want to annoy......

Can I just add and you know I try never to swear in my posts, but those twats on FX have totally ruined the show for me. Having to wait nearly a year and a half for the new season to start (still waiting!), the shock climax that goes with this season has been totally ruined by the fact that because it was aired nearly a year ago in America, the Internet as been full of talk about the stunner, which of course reached my unexpected eyes..........the bastards

Our first ever HCF MOVIE AWARDS

http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/2012/01/horrorcultfilms-movie-awards-of-2011-all-the-winners-right-here-of-our-first-ever-hcf-awards/

Post #: 59
RE: Dante's 15 favorite TV performances - 8/7/2010 2:07:06 PM   
Dantes Inferno

quote:

ORIGINAL: HughesRoss

Can I just add and you know I try never to swear in my posts, but those twats on FX have totally ruined the show for me. Having to wait nearly a year and a half for the new season to start (still waiting!), the shock climax that goes with this season has been totally ruined by the fact that because it was aired nearly a year ago in America, the Internet as been full of talk about the stunner, which of course reached my unexpected eyes..........the bastards

Ouch, that's a bitch. I had the ending of The Usual Suspects spoiled for me, so I can sympathize.

Dexter is indeed a great show, but there are some that are far greater.

< Message edited by Dantes Inferno -- 8/7/2010 2:11:21 PM >

(in reply to HughesRoss)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Dante's 15 favorite TV performances Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI